MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

thefiestygoat

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried this has come entirely too late to make any difference. Best case, we may surge just enough to finish 9th or 10th, and fvck ourselves out of a top 2 pick. Tanking at this point is in the long-term best interest of the franchise. We need an impact player in the draft. Big time.

I could not disagree with you more.

Agreed. A top pick would be nice but there are multiple issues with it. First off, the pick may never turn out. It happens. Secondly, the pick, especially if it's on D, will likely not be able to help us for a few seasons.

Never ever should a team lose on purpose. That's bush league bullsh!t It's just not the way things should be done. I rather see the team go on a run and fall short and finish in 9th place instead of watching this garabage that we have been exposed to the first half of this season. This has been trying for every one involved. A complete mess. Respect means a lot and right now this franchise is getting zero of it. They need to get this turned around in the right direction asap.

God do I hope this moves works out. I was just talking about how Lemaire was way better for this team than JMac was, but the Devils sure weren't able to show results the second half of last season at all. I think I'd be happy if we finished the year with a three-game winning streak of any capacity. I suppose we'll just have to see.

I'm very excited for the game tonight though!

And that is your right as an American sir.I'd like to hear why though.

Because you owe it to your fanbase(especially STH/future STH) to put on the best product possible on the ice night after night? Tanking for someone who might not even work out or be on the squad next year isn't the answer. Ask Toronto, Edmonton, etc.

Edited by Marv4Life

as i've said since the talk of 1st overall picks and tanking has come up, it's just not a good idea. it's a fine idea for a franchise in total rebuild, but that is not this franchise. we have 4 guys in their prime who have shown themselves to be pretty darn good hockey players (parise, zajac, kovalchuk, volchenkov). by the time we'd come out of the 'tank', parise and zajac might both be gone.

The best option for this team would be a "Flyer Rebuild" where you have one cursed season, purge what you can that isn't part of the team's future at the trade deadline, get a Top-10 pick that'll project into the line-up within 2-years, and head right back into it with those new pieces.

Agreed. A top pick would be nice but there are multiple issues with it. First off, the pick may never turn out. It happens. Secondly, the pick, especially if it's on D, will likely not be able to help us for a few seasons.

Never ever should a team lose on purpose. That's bush league bullsh!t It's just not the way things should be done. I rather see the team go on a run and fall short and finish in 9th place instead of watching this garabage that we have been exposed to the first half of this season. This has been trying for every one involved. A complete mess. Respect means a lot and right now this franchise is getting zero of it. They need to get this turned around in the right direction asap.

I'll give people the benefit of the doubt and say no one is talking about losing games on purpose, or configuring the roster in such a way as to lose as many games as possible, see, e.g. Penguins. I think the issue is, the team stinks at least this season and will not make the playoffs, so Lou shouldn't go out of his way to make short term improvements, and should make moves with the future in mind. So it means dumping dead weight that might be better than the what we get in return for the short term (in other words, if the team was still in playoff contention, you wouldn't trade Langs/Clarkson for a draft pick) and perhaps giving the young guys that much more experience for when things do turn around (yes, I know it makes unrestricted free agency come that much more early). Usually, this means that the team will get even worse, which equals high draft pick.

Also, I'm not a scout, but based on the hockey news draft preview, it seems like there's a pretty significant drop off in talent after the 3rd or 4th pick.

Too bad Stevens wont take more of an active coaching role. You think had he been on the staff he would have taken this lacksidasical play? This team needs a Scotty Stevens-like captain that cares enough instead of one that just goes through the motions and complains when things aren't going his way.

Mike

How can Stevens ask these current players to play the game like he did? Andy Green (like Paul Martin) is just not physical, as is Taormina. (they smack players with their European handbags) If we had a decent D corps, this wouldn't have happened.

Sadly, there aren't any in Albany ready for prime time.

How can Stevens ask these current players to play the game like he did? Andy Green (like Paul Martin) is just not physical, as is Taormina. (they smack players with their European handbags) If we had a decent D corps, this wouldn't have happened.

We DO have a decent D. Greene, Taormina, Volchenkov, White, Tallinder are all good players. Its an off season for the whole team. :rolleyes:

Combined they have a total of 26 Goals, 107 Assists, and over all +32 last season.

Edited by Quinn01

christmas came early, now i hope lemaire requests langenbrunner traded for kaberle.

most likely clarkson, he's a darling for toronto. lemaire probably had a condition to get rid of langy to have his own captain, i can't stop smiling.

i hope you realize that, even if they could do this capwise, kaberle would be an AWFUL return for langenbrunner. clarkson would be fine because you'd be essentially ridding yourself of the contract.

regardless, toronto wants nothing to do with jamie langenbrunner - he does nothing for what kind of team that are this year. and the leafs have clarkson types so they don't need him.

Funny that pretty much the only peaople on the Devils who are tough are from Europe and not North America.