54 replies to this topic

#41 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

CR76 I'm mad jealous.. I've been collecting items for a Devils man-cave since 2009.. Unfortunately, I was stupid and collected Parise pictures because why would he ever leave us, right?!? I literally have Devils tissue boxes I'm saving because god forbid they're not making those in 15 years when I actually can afford a good house.. I need help :(

On topic, I will say this.. I feel that none of the pro leagues are really that different from the NHL and its players.. They're all greedy and money always comes before the fans.. The issues with the NHL just run so much deeper that it results in lockouts.. I guarantee the NFL and NBA lockouts weren't resolved because they wanted to do something for the fans.. But I agree that supporting the League as a whole after this lockout gives them the security of believing that future lockouts won't hurt them, and that pisses me off

Edited by Colin226, 21 December 2012 - 09:39 AM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

CR76 I'm mad jealous.. I've been collecting items for a Devils man-cave since 2009.. Unfortunately, I was stupid and collected Parise pictures because why would he ever leave us, right?!? I literally have Devils tissue boxes I'm saving because god forbid they're not making those in 15 years when I actually can afford a good house.. I need help :(

On topic, I will say this.. I feel that none of the pro leagues are really that different from the NHL and its players.. They're all greedy and money always comes before the fans.. The issues with the NHL just run so much deeper that it results in lockouts.. I guarantee the NFL and NBA lockouts weren't resolved because they wanted to do something for the fans.. But I agree that supporting the League as a whole after this lockout gives them the security of believing that future lockouts won't hurt them, and that pisses me off

You will get there faster than I did Colin...you are much more mature and centered at your age than I was at your age. I had a lot of growing up to do.

I agree, I don't think necessarily think any one league cares any more about its fans than any other. Unfortunately the elements needed for the perfect storm lockout scenarios just seem to have a way of coming together in the NHL. And it's so damned maddening!

I was so close to buying Parise photos, but just didn't have a good feeling...I never did. I have some Rockies and Scouts stuff too...from left to right, the one wall is like an evolution of the franchise of sorts. I'll have to take pictures of it, when I'm less disgusted (whenever that will be).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 December 2012 - 10:09 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

My gf and I are planning on buying a house in the next 2-4 years and she is encouraging me to have my own Devils man-cave. She even suggested I have a small bar down there too and for me to get the biggest TV possible given the space and regardless of cost. God I love her.

I now have quite a bit of Devils stuff and so much so that I ran out of room in my condo some time ago. Now I have a majority of it locked in bins in my parents basement until I get my house.

As for Parise, I stopped buying any of his stuff about 2 years ago because I also had a feeling he was bolting. All I really have of him is one replica jersey (I have a good sized jersey collection so that doesn't bother me) and a signed puck by him.

#44 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

My gf and I are planning on buying a house in the next 2-4 years and she is encouraging me to have my own Devils man-cave. She even suggested I have a small bar down there too and for me to get the biggest TV possible given the space and regardless of cost. God I love her.

I now have quite a bit of Devils stuff and so much so that I ran out of room in my condo some time ago. Now I have a majority of it locked in bins in my parents basement until I get my house.

As for Parise, I stopped buying any of his stuff about 2 years ago because I also had a feeling he was bolting. All I really have of him is one replica jersey (I have a good sized jersey collection so that doesn't bother me) and a signed puck by him.

I got lucky with this house...the previous owner had a full Irish bar installed and several other goodies. The only thing I really had to do was paint the one wall, and have a TV installed near the bar area. I have a second TV in the other part of the 'cave, so when friends come over to watch football, I can have more than one game on. I had to have the feed swapped over for TV#2 to the opposite wall to complete my theme. After that, all I really had to do was hang up all of my stuff and arrange my furniture. It came out waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I expected...one of these days I'll post pics.

The largest wall is all Devils, but the Mets and Patriots are well-represented elsewhere. I was so looking forward to watching Devils games down there...I really was... :doh1: :urg:
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#45 Scoopscj

Scoopscj

Rookie Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

I'm so frustrated right now. When the season gets cancelled I will get my full season ticket refund. I won't be a full season holder next year.

When I see millionaires arguing with other millionaires and billionaires, it makes me so angry. I've been a devils fan since Johnny Mac netted that it goal in Chicago but this lockout.... In this economy.. Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I can always spend my entertainment dollar elsewhere. What a shame. I'll stay home and watch the games if they ever resume. I just hope the Devils can survive this. The owners and players had the entire off season to work out a deal. They chose not to for leverage.

At this point I'd love for the owners to void all contracts.. Institute their own salary cap... Revenue sharing.. And start again with all A H L players. Drop the ticket prices down due to no crazy salaries and start over from scratch. It would be refreshing to see young, eager, happy players playing in the NHL. Let the millionaire players go to the khl.

If this season gets cancelled, I hope the NHL and players take a huge financial hit.

Edited by Scoopscj, 21 December 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#46 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

At this point I'd love for the owners to void all contracts.. Institute their own salary cap... Revenue sharing.. And start again with all A H L players. Drop the ticket prices down due to no crazy salaries and start over from scratch. It would be refreshing to see young, eager, happy players playing in the NHL. Let the millionaire players go to the khl.

Not to fully defend the players, but they were willing to play under the old CBA and the owners lock them out. I don't get how anyone can side with the owners to this degree, though cheap tickets would be nice.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#47 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Not to fully defend the players, but they were willing to play under the old CBA and the owners lock them out. I don't get how anyone can side with the owners to this degree, though cheap tickets would be nice.

And then the players could have walked out on strike, which Fehr did in baseball. I'm not defending the owners but how can you expect them to agree to that when the same man who led the MLB players to strike is running the players union? That scenario would have been the only thing worse then canceling the entire season and the owners would have been insane to agree to something like that.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 22 December 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#48 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

And then the players could have walked out on strike, which Fehr did in baseball. I'm not defending the owners but how can you expect them to agree to that when the same man who led the MLB players to strike is running the players union? That scenario would have been the only thing worse then canceling the entire season and the owners would have been insane to agree to something like that.

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm sure they could have agreed to an extension for a season while they worked on a new agreement. But it's just stubbornness and greed on both sides. They should have been meeting (Bettman and Fehr) all season. It should never come to this. It really is sad that both sides waited until it was too late so they could play a billion dollar game of chicken.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm one of the few fortunate people who is actually doing well financially in a time where so many people aren't. I consider myself to be extraordinarily lucky...I have worked hard, but so have many others, and sadly hard work and great skillsets and knowledge bases are not always rewarded. Sometimes it's all about getting breaks. My break started when I was a 22-year-old who dropped out of college having no idea what I was going to do with my life, and my father said, "You've always had the aptitiude to be learn engineering, why don't you come work for me?" He had to train me from the ground up...he could've hired someone with an education and experience, and not had to deal with my growing pains on multiple fronts, but he took a chance on me when the business was only the two of us. I don't kid myself...being in my own business, my situation could always change for the worse in a matter of months...I don't assume the next several years will be like the past few.

Anyway, due to things going so well, I was able to move into a bigger and nicer home back in July, and the whole walk-out basement area is my mancave sports haven. Two of the walls (one of which is painted NJ Devils red) is covered with tons of Devils photos and other sports memorabilia. One wall is a "Hall Of Fame"-type area, for players who've had their Devils numbers retired...there is space for Elias and Brodeur. I love the Devils and I love Devils hockey. But I'm reaching the point where I can barely look at all of it anymore, and though I don't think I could ever do it (not yet), there's a part of me that just wants to take it all down and put something else up, for no other reason that every time I look at those walls now, I'm disgusted. These fvckers are about to kill another hockey season. I can't believe I just typed that. Where the fvck did common-fvcking-sense go? How could it all come down to this AGAIN?! The arrogance, the complete lack of awareness and respect for the people that make this all happen (US!)...the poor souls who actually have their livelihoods tied to these selfish out-of-touch a$$holes playing their childs' game...I am just at a complete loss...

Well said DIG, well said.

One does not simply read the last half of the last paragraph without picturing CR as this:

#51 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

But the players didn't strike -- not this time, not last time, and not the time before that.

Three lockout in a row and many fans are still laying this largely on the players. I don't get it.

I think it's pretty split...there are just as many people who hate Bettman and think he's the root of evil because of being a three-lockout commisioner than there are people jealous of the players for not having enough despite an average salary of $2+ million and hating their childish actions and tweets throughout.

But owners are never going to give the PA a chance to strike again, not after the NFL, MLB and NHL all staged extortionist walkouts during the late '80's and early '90's. And quite honestly, it's better to not have a season at all then go through what baseball did in '94 and have the finish taken away after you've invested so much time in it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think you're missing the point - the PA not only would have played without a CBA (i.e. under the old rules), they would have signed up for this CBA again, were it put to them. But of course not - need more cost certainty. Can't have the Leafs and Rangers making only a guaranteed $20 million every year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

One does not simply read the last half of the last paragraph without picturing CR as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

Oh man, thanks for a good laugh DP26. I think I'm more defeated in my disbelief at this point. I'm too numb to be angry.

#30 FOREVER!

#54 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

My take is that both sides wanna be paid like they're NFL owners/players. Neither has accepted the fact that hockey is a niche sport. Until that happens, we're doomed to lockout limbo every 5-10 years.

I almost pity some owners because you see more of them declaring bankruptcy than players. Yes, they do it to themselves, but they also need to fork over that money to top end players if they want any shot at winning/making money.

The NHL needs to get over the fantasy that it can financially compete on the same level as the other major three sports. I say major three, not major four, because hockey isn't a major sport in the U.S. It never was and never will be. This league needs some ...

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#55 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

My take is that both sides wanna be paid like they're NFL owners/players. Neither has accepted the fact that hockey is a niche sport. Until that happens, we're doomed to lockout limbo every 5-10 years.

I almost pity some owners because you see more of them declaring bankruptcy than players. Yes, they do it to themselves, but they also need to fork over that money to top end players if they want any shot at winning/making money.

The NHL needs to get over the fantasy that it can financially compete on the same level as the other major three sports. I say major three, not major four, because hockey isn't a major sport in the U.S. It never was and never will be. This league needs some ...

Posted Image

NHL players make more than NFL players on average. Even at the top end, NFL players don't make all that much more than top NHL players (like NHL players, one issue is that even the best players can only play for half the game). And the issue is partly that half of the NHL players and a huge portion of the NHL's revenue comes disproportionately from 7 teams, in a place where the NHL is almost as big as the NFL is in this country.

NHL revenues come from the gate and not from television and that's where the problem is - they don't share enough money, so the only way to come to any sort of agreement amongst themselves is to force player salaries down to a level where they're acceptable for all teams, and even then it's not going to work.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users