2013-2014 Attendance

Mike Brown

A lot of Habs fans, as expected. I can't imagine what the building would've looked like if this game was against the Flames or Oilers...

It didn't seem to me that there were that many.  Maybe a few hundred. 

Interestingly, I noticed a decent number of Habs fans that were there with Devils fans.

Habs fans are slowly becoming my #3 most hated fan bases only behind the Flyers and Rags.

Penguins fans actually annoy me more than Flyers fans.  Islanders fans have started to get annoying too.  At least in my opinion.

1. Rags

2. Penguins

3. Flyers

4. Isles

Edited by Mike Brown

Nobody cares about the Wings.  Never have around here.  

not true at all. They're a high profile western conference team and there are plenty of Michigan transplants and Wings bandwagoners in the area

Edited by '7'

They don't play in the Western Conference anymore, and Devils fans have never cared about Western Conference anything.  

This is the reason they made those 3 games a couple years ago against the Wings, Ducks and Stars a thing about the cups. Because it would pump up attendance on what would have otherwise been expected to be low attendance games.

They don't play in the Western Conference anymore, and Devils fans have never cared about Western Conference anything.  

you're right, I forgot about the switch

The last two trips the Wings made to Prudential Center were sellouts.

If you guys want an indication of what the attendance is going to be like tonight, look at ticketmaster. The upper corners, especially 226 are going to be completely empty again. Just click on the link and look at 226...this is an absolute disaster.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/new-jersey-devils-vs-detroit-red-newark-new-jersey-12-06-2013/event/02004B261F943474?artistid=805982&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9

This is where our loudest fans usually sit. There has been no passion or intensity in the building this year, I'm so disgusted with the front office right now for not making changes to fill these seats specifically. 

The Devils have always had high attendance games against the Wings in the past though, they're the one 'West' team that did consistently sell.  Of course that's not going to happen this year for a myriad of reasons already outlined in this thread - tiered pricing/super-high single-game prices/not as good a team - plus now that they're a conference opponent those games are far less rare and not once every two years where it's an event.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Nobody cares about the Wings.  Never have around here.  

Not true. Last time they were here they had thousands of fans in the building. They have fans everywhere

If you guys want an indication of what the attendance is going to be like tonight, look at ticketmaster. The upper corners, especially 226 are going to be completely empty again. Just click on the link and look at 226...this is an absolute disaster.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/new-jersey-devils-vs-detroit-red-newark-new-jersey-12-06-2013/event/02004B261F943474?artistid=805982&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9

This is where our loudest fans usually sit. There has been no passion or intensity in the building this year, I'm so disgusted with the front office right now for not making changes to fill these seats specifically. 

The new owners have made it perfectly clear that loud, passionate fans, and non full STH's are not really welcomed.

Not true. Last time they were here they had thousands of fans in the building. They have fans everywhere

The new owners have made it perfectly clear that loud, passionate fans, and non full STH's are not really welcomed.

lol your being over dramatic. Do you really think the reason attendance is low is because of anything other than ticket prices relative to quality of the on ice product? Plus add in the fact attendance is always lower in the first half of the season.

I wouldnt blame the front office as much. We lost 2 marquee players that were exciting to watch. Plus we cant score goals. Try to sell that to a fairweather fan

lol your being over dramatic. Do you really think the reason attendance is low is because of anything other than ticket prices relative to quality of the on ice product? Plus add in the fact attendance is always lower in the first half of the season.

maybe a bit of both. The atmosphere for sure is even duller than usual. What do you attribute that to?

Tickets are much too expensive to justify me traveling from near the deleware bay into newark. Prices are just outrageous. If I'm going to be put to sleep by such a lackluster offense I will do it at home. I watch on directv center ice.

I always see a ton of empty seats near the glass and then I check the price for said seats and understand why. Another poster mentioned season tickets and that's nearly the subject on every msg commercial.

The prudential center is a beautiful building but newark is a dump.

I can't imagine how awful it would've looked the past two games if we weren't playing the Habs and Red Wings, who both have a nice presence over here whenever we play them. You can subtract at least 1,500-2000 fans from the totals if we weren't playing those two teams.

I can't imagine how awful it would've looked the past two games if we weren't playing the Habs and Red Wings, who both have a nice presence over here whenever we play them. You can subtract at least 1,500-2000 fans from the totals if we weren't playing those two teams.

Well you can also add about 1,000 people to the total considering not everybody in attendance is actually being counted towards the attendance.

That's tickets sold.  Which isn't a great number for a Saturday night, but I'd love to hear how many people were actually in seats...that would clearly have been much lower.

Well it didn't look too bad on tv except for the the first period.  It looked better as the game went along.  If I had to guess, maybe 10,000 people was actually in the building tonight.

Remember, you must also take the number with a grain of salt this year seeing how they're not even counting all the people.  Ever since they changed the seating capacity this year without actually taking away seats, they simply stopped counting certain sections into the attendance figure.

13,832 / 16,592 = 83%.

83% of 17,625 is 14,629.

So in actuality, the attendance is probably around that 14,629 number.  Or in any case, that would have been the announced attendance last year or any other year when we still had a 17,625 seating capacity.

I think we all know that the Devils attendance goes up when the new year turns over, but I was actually curious as to how much exactly it does go up.  I gathered all the data, and in the first 5 seasons in the Rock (07/08 through 11/12), the average attendance in October, November, and December is 14,971 people.  In January, February, March, and April, the average attendance is 15,794.

I did not count last year, nor have I counted this year.  But looking at this year, officially right now the average attendance is 14,059.  But that's with the 16,592 seating capacity.  So if we adjust the average of 14,059 to the 17,625 seating capacity of old, it comes to 14,981 which is right on par with the previous seasons.

**For those who are confused, the seating capacity is lower this year.  But the actual number of seats in the arena is the same as all the previous seasons.  All they did was stop counting the seats in specific sections into the official seating capacity of the arena.  So it's not like they removed 1,033 seats.

14,059 is 85% of 16,592.  In order to adjust it to the old seating capacity, I just simply found out what 85% of 17,625 was.  That number is 14,981.