Devils sign Bobby Butler

thelastonealive

So is this another Steve Bernier type guy who had promise and fizzled a bit? If so ... can the kid forecheck?

He has much better hands than Bernier and a real quick release. He's the type that really needs someone to feed him the puck. I'm not sure the Devils have the center that Butler needs to get the most out of him.

Fehr was already non-tendered and has been a free agent for over a month.

Beat me to it. He'd be a real gamble-type player, can't see the Devils giving him a shot now that they've signed Butler. I feel like Fehr is higher risk-reward since he was coming off of two shoulder surgeries, but maybe he's just damaged goods at this point.

As for Butler, I'm curious to see what skill sets he displays in camp. It will certainly be telling if he supplants Tedenby as a NHL roster player to start off the season, though.

Solid signing. Once again Lou goes off the radar and signs a guy no one was really talking about.

The Ottawa Senators are close to signing American college star Bobby Butler, Hockey Night in Canada 's Elliotte Friedman reported Sunday.

Butler, 22, plays in the NCAA for New Hampshire, and led all college players in scoring during the regular season with 27 goals.

He added two more when New Hampshire beat Cornell 6-2 on Friday in the first round of the NCAA men's hockey championship, but his team was eliminated a day later by Rochester Institute of Technology.

I think its a no brainer to try to sign this guy. If he doesnt pan out with the big boys he will just play in Albany where they need more forwards.

:whistling:

if anything this can push barch from a starting job i guess.

kovalchuk-zajac-zubrus

elias-henrique-clarkson

tedenby-josefson-bernier

carter-gionta-butler

the third line is a defensive liability.

Sign Sykora, I want anyone who will push Clarkson out of the top 6 so he can stay on the third line where he would do best. I think the Millenium line can do good again. Just have to make sure Sykora does not burn out and if he does you can throw Butler on the 2nd line with Elias and Zubrus if Butler is doing good.

Edited by Zubie#8

For what it's worth, many of the reactions I've seen from Ottawa fans essentially say that Butler's only effective when he's getting ice time in a top-six role. Good puck control, very good shot, but not really one to work the boards or battle it out. Benefits from a passing center and a winger who can help create space.

If that's the case, and he sticks with the big club, he could be like another Bergfors - hopefully taking advantage of the ice time when it's there by scoring goals and creating chances, trying to work out the other aspects of his game when the time is cut back. Ideally he'd be fine on the third line as a top-9 forward if the third line is not used as a checking line... pair him with Josefson and Clarkson as others have suggested and that's could be a speedy, puck possession unit. Means Sykora or Tedenby slots into the second line in that case, though.

For what it's worth, many of the reactions I've seen from Ottawa fans essentially say that Butler's only effective when he's getting ice time in a top-six role. Good puck control, very good shot, but not really one to work the boards or battle it out. Benefits from a passing center and a winger who can help create space.

If that's the case, and he sticks with the big club, he could be like another Bergfors - hopefully taking advantage of the ice time when it's there by scoring goals and creating chances, trying to work out the other aspects of his game when the time is cut back. Ideally he'd be fine on the third line as a top-9 forward if the third line is not used as a checking line... pair him with Josefson and Clarkson as others have suggested and that's could be a speedy, puck possession unit. Means Sykora or Tedenby slots into the second line in that case, though.

Anything to add on the powerplay? If he has a good shot and puck control, would appear to be useful there.

That what I was thinking. He could replace Sykora on the 2nd unit and man the half-boards

2010-2011 shows he had 1 PPG and 4 PPA in 36 games, so Ottawa clearly used him on one of their units. Nothing from this past season.

Also, something I found interesting - last season in 56 games he was credited with only 34 hits and 15 blocked shots. While I know those are subjective stats and highly inconsistent in terms of being assigned to players, he had 28 hits and 13 blocked shots in only 36 games in 2010-2011. Part of it could be ice time, but I also wonder if he just lost some of his "drive" to really compete hard when it was clear that the coaching staff didn't have total confidence in him.

Hopefully this ordeal will re-energize him and he'll come to camp (and into the season) with a chip on his shoulder.

Butler and Clarkson will almost certainly not be on the same line. I could see him on Zajac's right side with Kovalchuk on the left. Kovalchuk finds the late man up the right side a ridiculous number of times and Butler has a tremendous shot.

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Butler

Elias - Henrique - Zubrus

Tedenby/FA/Trade - Josefson - Clarkson

Butler and Clarkson will almost certainly not be on the same line. I could see him on Zajac's right side with Kovalchuk on the left. Kovalchuk finds the late man up the right side a ridiculous number of times and Butler has a tremendous shot.

Sounds wonderful

Edited by Zubie#8

He has much better hands than Bernier and a real quick release. He's the type that really needs someone to feed him the puck. I'm not sure the Devils have the center that Butler needs to get the most out of him.

If he is on one of the top 3 lines which is likely his center will either be zajac, henrique, elias, or josefson. The reason i have 4it guys there is cause it isnt certain is henrique will go to wing or if elias will. But regardless of who is switched there we know zajac and elias are two great centers who can get the puck to players. We also know that henrique was good enough to get pucks to parise and kovy and play on a top line for the majority of last season. And although JJ hasnt really proved much he was the top candidate coming out of preseason last year to be kovys center. If the coaching staff thought JJ had what it takes to center kovy then he is deff good enough to center Butler. I wouldnt be surprised if Butler becomes a key contributer on our team next season.

Zajac and Kovy briefly made NaPalm look good. If Butler has a shot, they can help him succeed. I also like these lines because Elias gets someone else with some skill to play with. I'm not a fan of Zubs and Clarkson with Elias -- he needs a real scorer to be most effective, and Henrique obviously fills that role. Hopefully Butler can put in 20 or so goals and not drag the line down defensively.

I think the lines look better if you switch butler and zubie

God willing we are in store for typical, horrible, lazy pun headlines like 'the butler did it'. Surprised I didn't read any 'dealing with the devil' headlines after this signing. It's usually a given to get one of those from the sh!tty media outlets we are graced with.