Stadium Series: Are you going?   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Stadium Series: Are you going?

• Yes, I purchased a ticket(s)
    • Yes, I received tickets for free or they included with my season tickets
    • No, tickets are too expensive
    • No, sight-lines at Yankee stadium are poor, TV will be better
    • No (other)

Absolutely a fair point and hey I mean for those who don't go, the ones going will just see it as their loss and not lose sleep.. Likewise, those who don't go think we're overpaying for bleh.. But DevMan also makes a great point in that, when we could only dream of something like this involving the Devils it was "Man I would love to go to this but it'll never happen"... Now we have it and apparently it's too expensive, sight lines will suck, the stadium will be all drunk Rangers fans giving us swirlies in the bathrooms, etc, etc.. It's just very interesting to some of us to see this after it being an impossible dream for so long

I'm definitely not knocking the ones who are choosing to go, and I don't think those who are going are overpaying...that is up to the buyer.  If you pay your $310 and have an absolute blast and feel like you got your money's worth, that is how it should be...in the end, it's YOUR money/disposable income and YOU know what to best spend it on.  I go to one or two NE Patriot games a year up in Foxborough, and I pay a lot for those tickets (at least $200 per seat, and that's to sit in the highest row possible most of the time), and I'm sure many would say, "Why not just watch at home?"  But I love going, I have a great time (as long as they don't get killed of course), and to me, it's very worth it.  It's funny, I've always liked video games, but my father never understood the allure, and always maintained they were a waste of time and money.  His criticisms went through my head as I was buying new systems, well into my adulthood...until one day I just realized, "Well, it's not a waste of time and money to ME!  I enjoy this!"    

I think the ones who are going to the game in this thread think the people who aren't are knocking them for it, and that's not happening at all.  No one is saying "You've got to be a moron to spend that kind of money to see a game that will have crappy sightlines in the freezing cold!"  People are simply saying why they don't choose to go.  Like I've said, I'm sure the ones who are going will have a great time...they wouldn't have been willing to spend the money if they weren't sure of it going in.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I'll be there! Section 420B, so I'll be able to see it all.

I will be in that section as well with 4 friends. The ticket prices for this thing are ridiculous, and the sight lines are not very conducive for watching hockey. However, this is an experience that I wasn't going to let pass as it is unlikely the Devils are back in an outdoor game anytime soon, unless the NHL makes the huge mistake of doing this Stadium series BS every year and completely kills it. I mean, look at the trouble they are having selling tickets for the Rags-Isles and Ducks-Kings games. If that isn't a huge red flag for the NHL suits, I don't know what is.

I'll be in 420B as well. It is indeed a pricey proposition. And I fully expect it to be hard to see and miserably cold. At the same time, I can't think of a single thing I'd rather be doing that day.

Sent via mobile

In fairness I think the fact they're having six of these games have also changed people's mindset from this being a once in a lifetime event (and it was when there was just one of these a year) to something that could conceivably happen again in the next decade.

Exactly.  And for Rangers fans, there are two of them in the same year.  Not only could it happen again in the next decade, it could happen next year.

I'm definitely not knocking the ones who are choosing to go, and I don't think those who are going are overpaying...that is up to the buyer.  If you pay your $310 and have an absolute blast and feel like you got your money's worth, that is how it should be...in the end, it's YOUR money/disposable income and YOU know what to best spend it on.  I go to one or two NE Patriot games a year up in Foxborough, and I pay a lot for those tickets (at least $200 per seat, and that's to sit in the highest row possible most of the time), and I'm sure many would say, "Why not just watch at home?"  But I love going, I have a great time (as long as they don't get killed of course), and to me, it's very worth it.  It's funny, I've always liked video games, but my father never understood the allure, and always maintained they were a waste of time and money.  His criticisms went through my head as I was buying new systems, well into my adulthood...until one day I just realized, "Well, it's not a waste of time and money to ME!  I enjoy this!"    

I think the ones who are going to the game in this thread think the people who aren't are knocking them for it, and that's not happening at all.  No one is saying "You've got to be a moron to spend that kind of money to see a game that will have crappy sightlines in the freezing cold!"  People are simply saying why they don't choose to go.  Like I've said, I'm sure the ones who are going will have a great time...they wouldn't have been willing to spend the money if they weren't sure of it going in.       

Very fair.. Always the voice of reason :)

In fairness I think the fact they're having six of these games have also changed people's mindset from this being a once in a lifetime event (and it was when there was just one of these a year) to something that could conceivably happen again in the next decade.

And if I was a Rangers, Blackhawks, or Penguins fan I'd probably have the same mindset.. But the Islanders are proving they don't deserve anything like this until they re-brand as Brooklyn and get NYC sponsors (10+ year down the road at least).. And the Devils are just never a sure bet either

Ive grown soft in my later year LOL.  those stadiums can get blast freezer cold and pricing over 600 bills for my son and I..,,eh, just couldnt pull the trigger. going to watch it in high def with a glass of cabernet.  what a wuss!!!!

but I salute all you fans who are going and hope you all have a blast .......ENJOY!!!!

LucifersDog, on 19 Dec 2013 - 4:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Ha Ha, Marty as GM 20 years from now, you hope, I doubt.

If he is on a losing stretch will Devils play him in this game? I would hope not.

Another outdoor game you're correct Marty won't be there as a player.

Marty is playing this game 100%.  If you think otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

I set the criteria, "if Marty is playing badly and on a losing stretch, do they play him," you say YES 100%. I say if they do they are stupid and don't deserve fan support, this is a regular season game and they have to play every game to win, it's a 4 point game!

What bridge so you want to sell me? Do you own it before trying to sell it to  me?

My wife was getting me tickets for Christmas as a surprise... then I was offered it through a business partner and killed the surprise...    
Then, one of their guys complained its too cold and a Sunday and suggested a ton of MSG dates instead....  so I'm not sure where I stand there.
I do plan on going though. Ha.

As I have maintained for years, the Devils fanbase as a whole has a longggggg way to go.

remember that less than 1% of fans even come to this board, and only a small fraction of them post here. The whole purpose of a message board is to sound off on your opinions, so by its nature it will attract a lot of crazy people with strong and often extreme opinions.

It's tough to judge a fanbase based on Internet discussions. And if you are doing that then just look at every teams board over at hfboards and you'll get a laugh at the crazies there. Sometimes I just lurk there for a good laugh.

Coming from Australia specifically for this event, and getting 2 home games at the Rock also.

It's once in a lifetime, and as much as I will be going from 30 Celsius (80-90F) to 0C/32F temps, I don't care.

I can't wait to hang out with Colin226 and have an awesome day at Yankee Stadium.

I went to Yankee Stadium for 3 Yankees games last year, so going back for hockey in winter will be amazing.

4 weeks and counting until I fly out :)

Coming from Australia specifically for this event, and getting 2 home games at the Rock also.

It's once in a lifetime, and as much as I will be going from 30 Celsius (80-90F) to 0C/32F temps, I don't care.

I can't wait to hang out with Colin226 and have an awesome day at Yankee Stadium.

I went to Yankee Stadium for 3 Yankees games last year, so going back for hockey in winter will be amazing.

4 weeks and counting until I fly out :)

Awesome, that's a LOOOOONG way for a hockey game. the flights will be how many times longer than the 3 games?

I have to 100% agree.. I can't decide whether to be shocked or just laugh about it.. Our fan base routinely has trouble being happy.. This game is a miracle, I still don't know how they allowed this.. It really may not happen again, or at least for a decade I think.. Totally worth the $310 per ticket in my view for this potentially once-in-a-lifetime experience.. But then we also have people getting all bent out of shape over jerseys.. A year ago we would have given anything just to be in the game, now everything about it is wrong or not good enough or not done the right way

You just have to shake your head

Just because people don't have the kind of money needed to drop on a game like this doesn't mean they are unhappy about the prices. A few people mentioned prices and sight lines as reasons they wouldn't go, but that doesn't mean they are complaining about it. Some are, of course, but a majority of people are who aren't going just can't. I was one of the people who wanted this game to happen and wanted to go to it, but when the ticket prices came out, I had to sit down and think. Unfortunately, I realized that with bills, rent, work furloughs, and having to purchase new healthcare for 2014, I couldn't justify laying down $200 per ticket for decent seats.  Most people who aren't going have similar reasons for not being able to make it. I saw maybe 2 or 3 people who out and out complained. 

Awesome, that's a LOOOOONG way for a hockey game. the flights will be how many times longer than the 3 games?

If i just counted the international flights, 40 hours flying time there and back, compared to 9 hours of hockey (although will be making days of it meeting up with Devils friends and other drinking activities).

I'm also spending 8 days in NYC, 2 days in Toronto, and visiting friends in Calgary for 2 weeks, so it is an extended holiday. But if it wasn't for the outdoor game, who knows if I would have spent the last 6 months spending stupid amounts of money.

:D

Just because people don't have the kind of money needed to drop on a game like this doesn't mean they are unhappy about the prices. A few people mentioned prices and sight lines as reasons they wouldn't go, but that doesn't mean they are complaining about it. Some are, of course, but a majority of people are who aren't going just can't. I was one of the people who wanted this game to happen and wanted to go to it, but when the ticket prices came out, I had to sit down and think. Unfortunately, I realized that with bills, rent, work furloughs, and having to purchase new healthcare for 2014, I couldn't justify laying down $200 per ticket for decent seats.  Most people who aren't going have similar reasons for not being able to make it. I saw maybe 2 or 3 people who out and out complained. 

I think it's just the way some are coming across in their replies and on other avenues of social media. There are people who simply can't spend the money to go for whatever personal reasons like paying bills and whatnot and there's no wrong in that. Then we have those who say they won't (not, can't....won't) spend the money and go because it's too expensive then add "the sight lines are terrible" and "it's too cold" like this is some sort of revelation and they are personally staging a protest. It looks like they are using the latter to make the financial decisions for them as if to say if it was a 60 degree day and had sight lines at The Rock they'd gladly drop the money to go.

Edited by TheRedStorm

I think it's just the way some are coming across in their replies and on other avenues of social media. There are people who simply can't spend the money to go for whatever personal reasons like paying bills and whatnot and there's no wrong in that. Then we have those who say they won't (not, can't....won't) spend the money and go because it's too expensive then add "the sight lines are terrible" and "it's too cold" like this is some sort of revelation and they are personally staging a protest. It looks like they are using the latter to make the financial decisions for them as if to say if it was a 60 degree day and had sight lines at The Rock they'd gladly drop the money to go.

No, wrong, the thread was started to ask fans for reasons why they may or may not be going.  Don't look for protests and arguments where they don't exist, for the sake of doing so.  Like I said to Colin (which he agreed with), there's a big difference between saying "What's wrong with you people, you're spending a lot of coin on a game where the sightlines are going to be bad and you're going to freeze your ass off!" and "I'm not going because it's a lot of money/sightlines will be bad/it's going to be cold/it's too expensive for me."  Again, people who aren't going aren't ripping the people who are, or protesting the event itself; they are simply stating their reasons for choosing not to parttake, but for some reason, some people want to make this an argument where one doesn't really exist.  There's no friggin' right or wrong choice here. 

No, wrong, the thread was started to ask fans for reasons why they may or may not be going.  Don't look for protests and arguments where they don't exist, for the sake of doing so.  Like I said to Colin (which he agreed with), there's a big difference between saying "What's wrong with you people, you're spending a lot of coin on a game where the sightlines are going to be bad and you're going to freeze your ass off!" and "I'm not going because it's a lot of money/sightlines will be bad/it's going to be cold/it's too expensive for me."  Again, people who aren't going aren't ripping the people who are, or protesting the event itself; they are simply stating their reasons for choosing not to parttake, but for some reason, some people want to make this an argument where one doesn't really exist.  There's no friggin' right or wrong choice here. 

Again go back to any thread about past Winter Classics on here and you have scores of posters whining about the Devils never being in it and if they were, they would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

Now that the Devils are in an outdoor game, things that are obvious and come with outdoor games like the cold, high ticket prices and obstructed views are now becoming an issue with a lot of the same posters.  Again these come with the territory with an outdoor game and it's comical to see them whining about this.

Also I see a lot of posters say "well this isn't the Stanley Cup finals" and "these are just for 2 regular season points so no big deal."  Well how is that different than the Winter Classics in the past?

Look I can understand that for some people this just isn't their thing or they rather watch at home and that is fine, but to see some of the same posters who have said in previous winter classic threads they would kill for the Devils to be in one as they would buy tickets in an instant only to now whine about the obvious is just silly.

LucifersDog, on 19 Dec 2013 - 4:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Marty is playing this game 100%.  If you think otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

I set the criteria, "if Marty is playing badly and on a losing stretch, do they play him," you say YES 100%. I say if they do they are stupid and don't deserve fan support, this is a regular season game and they have to play every game to win, it's a 4 point game!

What bridge so you want to sell me? Do you own it before trying to sell it to  me?

Marty plays the game no matter what, barring a severe injury he cannot play through

I am not sure if you were serious in your response to my bridge comment... :doh1:

remember that less than 1% of fans even come to this board, and only a small fraction of them post here. The whole purpose of a message board is to sound off on your opinions, so by its nature it will attract a lot of crazy people with strong and often extreme opinions.

It's tough to judge a fanbase based on Internet discussions. And if you are doing that then just look at every teams board over at hfboards and you'll get a laugh at the crazies there. Sometimes I just lurk there for a good laugh.

I am not saying that just in response to the people on this board, but the people I see/here/interact with at the arena...

Overall the fanbase is severely uneducated in general IMHO...

you really think the fan base has not gotten much larger since the continental days?.. it has to have gotten marginally bigger. .. the thing is how is a franchise suppose to really grow their fan base one like the devils say when they have 3 other teams right on top of them in the same general area (rags, isles, sabers) .. i mean enless people are going to jump ship which 99.99% of people are not especially if they are real fans .. the only way to grow a fan base is to find new fans i guess?

No, I do not think the fan base has grown much, if at all....

Very small increase if anything as some younger fans got older and real jobs, etc.

Exactly.  And for Rangers fans, there are two of them in the same year.  Not only could it happen again in the next decade, it could happen next year.

For the Rangers...maybe

I do not see the Devils in another one of these for quite awhile, even if they continue to do several a year

Again go back to any thread about past Winter Classics on here and you have scores of posters whining about the Devils never being in it and if they were, they would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

Now that the Devils are in an outdoor game, things that are obvious and come with outdoor games like the cold, high ticket prices and obstructed views are now becoming an issue with a lot of the same posters.  Again these come with the territory with an outdoor game and it's comical to see them whining about this.

Also I see a lot of posters say "well this isn't the Stanley Cup finals" and "these are just for 2 regular season points so no big deal."  Well how is that different than the Winter Classics in the past?

Look I can understand that for some people this just isn't their thing or they rather watch at home and that is fine, but to see some of the same posters who have said in previous winter classic threads they would kill for the Devils to be in one as they would buy tickets in an instant only to now whine about the obvious is just silly.

This is my view.

Most fans I spoke to in past years have echoed this sentiment, as did I.  "How awesome would it be for the Devils to get an outdoor game?!? I would definitely go!"  Then we get into one of the games, and everyone is complaining about something or other.

Did these people not realize that:

A.  The tickets would be overpriced; the NHL is a business.

B.  It would be cold out, in the middle of the winter.

C.  The views would not be ideal in a stadium.

D.  The game is a regular season game, worth 2 points in the standings

These were all very obvious points to me going into it.  When the game was announced I was ecstatic, and when I got the link from the Devils to buy the tickets I plunked my Visa down and smiled/cried as I hammered away at the keyboard to lock up some premium seats. (and watched my account balance diminish in seconds)

So in previous Winter Classic threads, people should have said "Oh, I hope the team never plays in one because it might be cold and expensive." You really are making an issue out of nothing. Out of nearly 70 replies to this thread maybe 3 people actually COMPLAINED about any of that. Other people just sighted it as reasons they aren't going, which is what the OP was asking to begin with. 

So in previous Winter Classic threads, people should have said "Oh, I hope the team never plays in one because it might be cold and expensive." You really are making an issue out of nothing. Out of nearly 70 replies to this thread maybe 3 people actually COMPLAINED about any of that. Other people just sighted it as reasons they aren't going, which is what the OP was asking to begin with. 

No and you know that is not the point I am making.  It's one thing not to go to it because it is cold and expensive (which I can understand), but to say that you will do anything to go and then when it actually happens to act all shocked and surprised that it is expensive and that it will be cold and have terrible sight lines is another (that I find amusing since that exactly what these games always were since the first one).

• 2 weeks later...

I can't afford the tickets at this time. If it were last year as opposed to this year (minus the strike of course), I'd have gone.

I went to the 2012 Winter Classic after getting a free ticket through a friend...will try to work through my connections to attend the Stadium Series if I can.

Why wouldnt you want to go to this game?  First time in history devils will be playing in an outdoor game!!  Sure the couch at home is nice warm and you can stare into that thing that has moving pictures, but why?  I rather be at the game in the cold that watching the TV.

If it is not in your budget that is one thing, otherwise go! :yay::wink2::whistling::blahblah: :blahblah: :ninja::devil::idea::smilegah::urg::boogie:

Agreed, the whole ”its too cold” thing makes no sense. They are playing the Super Bowl in cold weather, along with countless other football games.

Buck up, put on some long johns and a coat and have a once in a lifetime experience!

Awesome for you, do what makes you happy, and others will do the same.  Just because people have reasons for not going (they've been stated several times in this thread) doesn't make those reasons wrong or invalid by default. 

Just a theory on my part, but I think part of why some of the "I'd kill to go to one of these if the Devils play" crowd may have lost its enthusiasm is that the novelty of the event itself has worn off a bit...especially with so many games being played outdoors this year.  If the Devils/Rangers game was THE Winter Classic, I think a lot more people would've said "Screw the cold/sightlines/cost, I'm going!"