Ten Games In: Initial Impressions?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

How have the Devils performed so far against your expectations?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. How have the Devils performed so far against your expectations?

• Well Above what I expected
    • Above what I expected
    • On par with what I expected
    • Below what I expected
    • Well below what I expected
    • I thought the team would be in Kansas City by now

So we are Ten Games into the season what’s everyone initial impressions of the team?

We are currently 4-5-1, second from bottom in our Division and outside the playoffs by 3 points (although with games in hand). We are the second lowest scoring team in the league with 23GF (tied with Detroit, Minnesota and Calgary) but are average in terms of GA (16th in the league).

• Looking at the style we have been playing.
  • The utilisation of players.
  • Performance of players.
  • General expectations and weather they have been met.

Personally i would say this is on par with what i expected from the team, even though secretly i was hoping for some of that late season form from last year.

At times I have enjoyed the style we have been playing, I can see where DeBoer is taking the team , it’s just still got its problems. He hasn't been helped by the loss of Zajac or Josefson.

In terms of player performance i have been the most let down by Parise and Kovlachuk, Its like Lou said last season your best players have to be your best players and so far this season they haven't been. Palmieri hasn't been impressing me much either, he needs someone to tell him to relax a bit, he looks stressed out there.

Players who have surprised me, Elias is performing way above where i thought he would, he has been excellent. Henrique is also looking good and should be on the team the rest of the year. I like his speed and skill.

On par with what I expected, below what most of the board expected (especially after the illusory 3-1-1 start) :P

I thought the offense would be a little better and the D a little worse.

I agree with this. That was my expectation as well.

Oh and Heberg has been better than i thought he would be as well, especailly after pre-season.

I look at us as a new team on the rise. We may be better than last year at the end, but this is just what I expected. I think we may score more goals than in recent years but our defense in our zone looks like a midget game with players not knowing exactly where to go. It's a good sign when your PK is good but it leaves me scratching my head. How come they can play position against the PP and be so out of position during 5 on 5?? Hell, even Marty was scrambling around last night!! And at this stage the D looked awful. But then again, the leafs are looking strong. If we can hang around .500 by the first of the year, we maybe able to make a run for the playoffs.

A little below what I expected. I think things will turn around but I think its difficult to have a 180 turn around from last season. They need to figure out what they were doing when we had that amazing run towards the end of last season and just mimic that.

We are too good of a franchise to be playing like muff cabbage.

Constant injuries are the norm for us also so you have to factor that in.

Edited by Quinn01

Glad Elias is having a good start. Starting to lose faith in Kovy. We need more quality NHL talent on our roster.

I think it was because Kovy was brought in as if he were the underrated god of the NHL behind Crosby and Ovy. In Atlanta he was the star and got things done here he has had to share his role and we arent as forgiving as a fan base I dont believe either. He clearly is feeling the pressure. If he misses what he should make, his head is up in the rafters. He knows he should be playing at a different, expected, caliber but its just not happening. Hes struggling, makes the team struggle and vice versa. I think the mental game is what is effecting this team the most.

I know we have injuries at center, but all these line changes really isnt helping the team gel. Its reminding me of the JMac team early last year. Look, we played a great game against the Kings with the new lines on O and D, but DBo changed things up right after that. Ya gotta let them play a few games as linemates to get them in sync.

Edited by hargsy

Glad Elias is having a good start. Starting to lose faith in Kovy. We need more quality NHL talent on our roster.

This is true, we have (and Lou has always) filled our lines with has-beens or career AHLers hoping they would flourish...but get real, the parity in the leauge doesnt let you get away with that anymore. We are and have been a .500 team for years now, losing the Scott Niedermayers and Scott Stevens and Rafalski's and the Gionta's and the Gomez's has depleted this franchise. I really think the only real top players on this team are Elias and Marty...but Marty is pretty much done. I dont know about Kovi or Zach being in that group, those two have to show it more than once in a while.

Patrik Elias - Where I expected. A shutdown center who also puts up points.

Ilya Kovalchuk - His positioning isn't bad, it's time for him to engage more contact and shorten shifts.

Petr Sykora - I have no problem keeping him with Elias the whole year, cut down o0n your dumb penalties though.

Zach Parise - You don't deserve a big long term deal, has shown no passing ability at all. His touch is off.

Andy Greene - Our best defensmen, quiet efficient while putting up a few points.

Mark Fayne - Hit or miss, some games he looks great but then he makes the biggest lapses. More consistancy.

Nick Palmieri - Is on the verge of losing his spot to Bernier, doesn't hit enough and doesn't drive net enough.

David Clarkson - Keep him on the 3rd line with a good center and he is very effective. Mills is not good though

Dainius Zubrus - You can tell he missed much of training camp, his timing isn't quite there. Has been ok.

Mattias Tedenby - Too much flash, not enough results. Take everything to the net.

Adam Henrique - Plays a simple explosive game, excellent short passes. Consistency from shift to shift.

Jacob Josefson - Was playing excellent when he got injured, only player to work with Kovalchuk so far.

Brad Mills - He is what he is, a below average 4th liner.

Anton Volchenkov - Has played better the last few games. Needs a faster partner. Excellent on PK.

Henrik Tallinder - I thought he was off to a good start but in recent games hasn't been all that good.

Adam Larsson - The ups and downs of an 18 year old defensmen. Flashes of brilliance.

Rod Pelley - Just go away Pelley

Eric Boulton - Serves his purpose.

Cam Janssen - Hasn't been bad considering who he is.

Ryan Carter - OK as a 4th liner, certainly not a 3rd liner.

Bryce Salvador - Getting better but still not an NHL defensmen.

Martin Brodeur - Looks sluggish to start the season.

Johan Hedberg - Looks much better then in years past.

yeah pretty much what jason said. hard to be above .500 when you shoot 6.1% and your opponents shoot 8.7% at even strength. i'm disappointed in palmieri, who looked pretty good early - he had a decent game last night, so maybe the demotion to the 3rd/4th line lit a fire under him.

i do wish that NJ would bring up zharkov or someone who can play on a 4th line, because not having a 4th line is making it so that deboer is double shifting his best forwards - our top 3 forwards are all over 20 minutes a game.

Jason's list is our problem. We need basically two top 6 centers... Elias is a fine injury replacement... but shouldn't be relied on as an answer. Zajac will help Parise. While I think Zajac is overrated, he's not a scrub and is a top 6 player and is suitable to play with Parise.

We really need a playmaking center who can dish out to Kovy... What good is having a rocket without fuel? Kovy can try to deke past a team... but really, I feel most comfortable with him firing rockets from a one timer or on a clean break away. Something a skillful center would asist him with. Basically, we need a healthy Marc Savard. But so does the entire league.

I'm satsified with defense for now. It's hard to control a game when you're losing. Goaltending is a question mark now. Brodeur is slowing down and injury prone now. This isn't the team that an aging Brodeur would do well on. He can't be jumping and diving after pucks like he did in the begining of the season before his injury. Hedberg is a great backup who can play some stretches... but he can't be our #1 with the expection that we're going to the playoffs or winning the cup.

We need centers... its our archillies heal :P

At this point I wouldn't mind tossing a 3rd round pick towards Winnipeg for Patrice Cormier. He could at least fill in at 3rd line until Zajac is back plus he is most likely an upgrade over Mills IMO although we have no stats to back it up.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Winnipeg isn't going to give up Cormier for a 3rd, c'mon now.

Elias is not a stopgap - he is our best center, and probably is our best center even when Zajac returns.

I'm tired of people putting the blame for Kovalchuk's play on his linemates. Yes, it would be nice if his linemates were better. The whole reason you sign someone for big money is so that that player can play on an island if need be.

Elias is not a stopgap - he is our best center, and probably is our best center even when Zajac returns.

I'm tired of people putting the blame for Kovalchuk's play on his linemates. Yes, it would be nice if his linemates were better. The whole reason you sign someone for big money is so that that player can play on an island if need be.

You never know with new management. A 2nd is probably more realistic but it would be Washington's.

Thats one of the things i don't get, he did it for so long in Atlanta, why cant he do it here?

They are pretty much where I'd hoped they'd be. What I'd like now is to have a little more learning going on. A little more consistent learning and holding on to what you have already learned.

They have far to go to accomplish what they have to in one season - in a sustainable way (season to season) I'd like them to be retaining a little more.

These guys seem to get thrown when things go as they should, you know? When things go their way they (each and every one) seem to get an out of line adrenaline rush that throws them back off -- they can't close right now.

Elias has it together the most. I was shocked Clarkson kept his focus and lifted the puck to score! err I mean scar...

I'm a little disappointed in Chico - he's in that goofy tough/negative love place where he's saying everyone is better but he's still a little shocked his boys didn't come through.

I always expect rotten mindsets to stick but that seems to be gone now -- that's all I've hoped for the past few seasons. just get into a different place they can grown out of. It been such an infertile mindset before last season. Last season was so bad I was pretty certain they were done with that "also ran" mindset they've been in since the lockout. I have always said if you have to move into Loser mode to snap mediocrity so be it then. What I find the absolute worst is mediocrity. I think people don't understand how truly UNSAFE mediocrity is. If I give Manta every benefit of the doubt -- it boils down to he cannot allow this team to stray from mediocrity. It scares the sh!t out of him.... but you never truly succeed on the mediocre path. Personally I find something rather pathetic in mediocrity -- especially the top of mediocre. Unless you're living for yourself in a vacuum as I feel like I've chosen to in my own personal life. Then mediocrity buys you space to exist... not much more though - you have to exceed somewhere else - like support a home and family in a fully present way. ah but I digress....

Edited by Pepperkorn

Thats one of the things i don't get, he did it for so long in Atlanta, why cant he do it here?

He had full control in Atlanta. He was allowed to leave the zone early and hover around the centerice line. Their PP didn't fully revolve around his shot as well, they worked it through Kozlov down low quite a bit. He does his best with crafty playmakers. I still think Tedenby is best suited with Kovalchuk but he hasn't done anything to warrant the promotion.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I think the first ten games proves the point Sundstrom has made that Zajac was the player the team could least afford to lose. Losing Josefson has only made it more difficult. Essentially the team is devoid of centers (I still consider Elias more of a winger on a fully healthy team, but I'll concede the point if someone calls me on it).

With Kovy, I just don't understand why the whole plan seems to be having him unload slap shots from the point, especially on the powerplay. Work him down low, to take wristers from the slot area (I know easier said than done). I just pray that he doesn't turn out to be Alexi Yashin.

Bottom line, tread water at or right around .500 until Zajac's return. Puts us in a much better spot to go on a run in the second half of the season.