Jon Merrill

Daniel

From: Devils prospect Jon Merrill back playing for University of Michigan

Devils 2010 draft pick Jon Merrill was reinstated by the University of Michigan and played his first game of the CCHA season in a 4-2 victory over Lake Superior State Friday night.

Merrill, who was plus-3 and had two assists in the game, served a 22-game suspension for violating team rules. He had played for Team USA in the recently-completed world junior championships in Canada.

Merrill, a 6-3, 210-pound sophomore defenseman, was the Devils' first pick (38th overall) in the 2010 entry draft.

In his first appearance for the University of Michigan since he played 42 games last season, Merrill was greeted by chants of "Jon-y Mer-ril" by the Yost Ice Arena crowd.

:clap:

• 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/#!/cmasisak22/status/160456977909157889

Corey Masisak

UM coach Red Berenson said #Devils prospect Jon Merrill plays like Nick Lidstrom. OSU coach Mark Osiecki said he's the best d-man in NCAA.

:)

My link

"Ohio State coach Mark Osiecki, who has coached Merrill before in international play, said after Michigan's 4-0 win Sunday in Cleveland at the Frozen Diamond Faceoff he thinks Merrill is the best defenseman in the country."

Merrill said. "I don't know when it is going to happen, but that would be special. I was really fortunate to be drafted by that organization. They've been supportive with everything I've gone through. I couldn't ask for anything better."

Edited by justdo3043

Merrill is a gifted passer, and he's able to control the game on the breakout and on the power play by making strong decisions.

"He's got an NHL hockey IQ, so when he gets the puck he knows what to do with it," Berenson said. "He doesn't beat you with speed or anything else. He's like Nick Lidstrom."

Looks like he will be plugging a huge hole here someday.