#42 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

My link

“We have a lot of good, young defensemen and a lot of size, which I like,” Stevens said. “I definitely like size on defense. They take up a lot of space and make things difficult on the other team’s forwards. So, I like that and just the talent level. I think this is the deepest we’ve been on defense for young, upcoming defensemen in a long time. I don’t think we’ve ever had this kind of depth before. It’s very exciting. You can never have enough defensemen. It’s a position that takes some time to develop.

“We’re looking to try to get some of these guys to the NHL as quickly as possible to help our team.”

Maybe looking too much at the tea leaves, but perhaps a sign that moves will be made or maybe a signal that Stevens wants Merrill to turn pro this year (I recall Merrill had mentioned at his first development camp that he enjoyed the short time he had working with Stevens).
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#43 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

No bigger fan of Stevens that me but he has no experience as a coach...should be interesting.

I am asking my friend who is a Sharks' staff member about Shaw and will report back....
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#44 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,003 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Great Scott! its like we have gone back to the future. Both moves sound good on paper, look forward to see how they pan out whenever the season begins.

#45 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

No bigger fan of Stevens that me but he has no experience as a coach...should be interesting.

I am asking my friend who is a Sharks' staff member about Shaw and will report back....

From what I gathered, he ran the PP, but also had a hand in their abysmal PK. He was probably fired to keep Todd Mac honest

#46 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Power play was one of new NJ assistant Matt Shaw's responsibilities with Sharks and they ranked 2nd in NHL on PP with 21.1% success rate.

This is huge for us, Oates sucked and this is a great improvement for a team that has scoring ability.

I'd assume Stevens would run the PK, not Shaw.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 17 July 2012 - 03:39 PM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Power play was one of new NJ assistant Matt Shaw's responsibilities with Sharks and they ranked 2nd in NHL on PP with 21.1% success rate.

This is huge for us, Oates sucked and this is a great improvement for a team that has scoring ability.

I think Barr was the PK guy last year, wasn't he?
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yes, Barr is the PK guy. The general consensus from Sharks fans is that Shaw was made to look like he ran both the (excellent) PP and (abysmal) PK, so the fans essentially wanted him out because of the PK issues. Afterward, through interviews it was made clear that he actually had very little to do, coaching-wise, with the PK.

Either way, as long as he is only running our PK, I'm thrilled.

#49 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Barr ran the PK last year, he'll do it again this year.
Larry coached the D last year, Stevens does it this year.
Oates ran the PP last year, Shaw does it now.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#50 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

oates ran a powerplay? news to me :whistling:

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#51 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#52 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

I can already picture Stevens whispering in the ear of Volchenkov and telling him to go destroy this or that guy and then give him a tap on the shoulder when he comes back to the bench.

"Not bad Volchy, but you forgot to the tell the other guy that he is next"

Edited by SS-SS, 17 July 2012 - 04:56 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#53 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Adam Oates signs deal with the Caps
Devils trade Larry Robinson to SJ for Matt Shaw
Devils call up Scott Stevens :D

So maybe Larry left because Stevens was ready to become an assistant.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324, 17 July 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#54 ironsights

ironsights

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Does that mean that Larry pointed to Scott and said... "You're next !" ?

#55 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Does that mean that Larry pointed to Scott and said... "You're next !" ?

I see what you did there lol nice

#56 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

I wonder if PepperKorn bought season tickets behind the Devils bench this coming season :giggle:

both of these additions seem to be very good. i think stevens would be a great mentor for larsson and any of the possible rookies who try out for the team (e.g. merrill..etc.

Is hoping for the next Rangers game where Tortorella opens his mouth again across the Devils bench and seeing Stevens react

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Excited that Scott Stevens is going to be behind the bench for the Devils next year! Hopefully Shaw works out but I'm never one to get my hopes up on the Devils having a strong PP.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#58 devs82fan

devs82fan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

yay stevens!

#59 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

PK must of passed out with all the great news, too think that she will be seeing Scott behind the bench every game and not a peep???
On the other hand I can't wait for the first game when Tortorella starts mouthing off, just to see that Stevens stare again= priceless!
Welcome back behind the bench to a true Captain!

Let's Go Devils!!!!!

Edited by Devs1965, 17 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#60 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

This is great news.

Sounds like shaw has done an amazing job. And Stevens is, well, Scotty fvckin Stevens.

I like these hires!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users