2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Kinda hope Whitney gets another look at some point.. Feel bad for the guy a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's it for him. I don't really understand what they hope when you give a guy a few shifts, be it Whitney, Josefson, Loktionov, etc. Very hard to adjust to the NHL speed when either you have never played or have been sitting for weeks or months.

For Whitney, playing with a guy like Jagr is very tough. He doesn't like to make the simple play often, and to find any chemistry in 3 minutes with him is impossible. I thought Jagr had the chance to make the obvious play to Whitney a few times but looked for something different.

Asking way too much from Whitney and probably asking too much from Josefson if you only give him 6-7 minutes tomorrow before Pete inevitably goes back to Zubrus on the top line.

That's it for him. I don't really understand what they hope when you give a guy a few shifts, be it Whitney, Josefson, Loktionov, etc. Very hard to adjust to the NHL speed when either you have never played or have been sitting for weeks or months.

For Whitney, playing with a guy like Jagr is very tough. He doesn't like to make the simple play often, and to find any chemistry in 3 minutes with him is impossible. I thought Jagr had the chance to make the obvious play to Whitney a few times but looked for something different.

Asking way too much from Whitney and probably asking too much from Josefson if you only give him 6-7 minutes tomorrow before Pete inevitably goes back to Zubrus on the top line.

Whitney was awful from start to finish, it didn't matter who he was on a line with - forget linemates, his positioning in the D zone was like he'd been studying with Tedenby.  It was about as bad as an NHL debut as you can have, unfortunately.

Some interesting stats of late.

Henrique 33 shots last 13 games, given his career 13% if he were to continue at this pace the rest of the season he would finish the season with 24 goals. I doubt he can keep up that pace but 20 goals seems pretty safe. 

Michael Ryder has 36 shots his last 13 games. Say Ryder finishes the season on a 2.5 shot per game pace and shoots at his 12% rate he is projected to finish the season with 25 goals.

Ryane Clowe has 27 shots his last 13 games which is right on pace with his career average for s/g. He also has 11 points in that time frame. This is a legit second line in tthe NHL that should average 7 shots per game the rest of the season.

NJ have averaged 30.1 shots on goal the last 11 games which is well above their season average. 

Some interesting stats of late.

Henrique 33 shots last 13 games, given his career 13% if he were to continue at this pace the rest of the season he would finish the season with 24 goals. I doubt he can keep up that pace but 20 goals seems pretty safe. 

Michael Ryder has 36 shots his last 13 games. Say Ryder finishes the season on a 2.5 shot per game pace and shoots at his 12% rate he is projected to finish the season with 25 goals.

Ryane Clowe has 27 shots his last 13 games which is right on pace with his career average for s/g. He also has 11 points in that time frame. This is a legit second line in tthe NHL that should average 7 shots per game the rest of the season.

NJ have averaged 30.1 shots on goal the last 11 games which is well above their season average. 

Those are pretty good stats, and goes to show that speed, although important and dangerous, is not essential to hockey success. that could be the slowest line in the NHL. clowe had a horrible start and a brutal -4 Chicago game. but since then has been solid (still scares me in the D-zone).  strength and hands can trump speed, offensively

Jagr on Josefson:

Devils winger Jaromir Jagr said Jacob Josefson played extremely well when he stepped in to play on the first line Sunday.

"I thought he was one of the best players on the ice," Jagr said. "He didn't have that much ice time but every time he was on the ice he created plays. We didn't play very much, our whole line.

"Hopefully he can get better and better every game. He's a good player. People don't give him enough credit. He's a lot better than people think. He can make the plays offensively. Trust me, I could see it right away from the first practice."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/01/devils_dainius_zubrus_suffered_broken_nose_during_outdoor_game_vs_rangers.html

hopefully Pete gives him an extended and legitimate look on that line. I feel like it's been a revolving door for a while. Let him get at lest 15 minutes a night and see what happens before you try to trade for a winger.

Very interesting indeed. I sense a little disapproval on Jagr's part of DeBoer's treatment or impatience with Josefson.

He's talking about things like ice time and people not giving "him enough credit", and really, who else could he be talking about? Does he read message boards, or...?

Edited by DJ Eco

This is so incredibly unlikely.  He can't finish.  At best he's a Mikael Backlund sort.

I don't know, but I'd at least like to see him get time with quality line mates like zajac and jägr. Th poor kid has been bouncing around line mates such as ponikarovsky, clarkson, Barch, Janssen, etc.

Nobody is going to look good constantly playing with those players.