Official 2012 New York Mets Thread

NJDevs4978

The Wilpons and Picard agreed on a settlement for $162M, due to be paid over the next three years. This is great news for the Wilpons; it's still a lot of money but they have some time to pay and it's much less than what the lawsuit sought ($386M). Another huge aspect is the Wilpons will receive back money as part of being victims of Madoff and that could pay almost the entirety of what they owe.

They still face debt problems, but this is huge news for them.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it sounds like the Wilpons vs. Picard is finally over, apparently they've reached a settlement where the Wilpons have to pay between $80 and 162 million, but they don't have to start paying it for 3 1/2 years, which gives them time to settle all their other debts I suppose.

Well, I guess that went as well as one could expect.

On another note, wow does Pelfrey look bad so far. Yikes yikes double yikes...

If he can keep a few more balls in the yard, he should be an okay 5th starter. Thankfully, he's just an innings-eating rotation filler for another year or two and not a long-term piece. Frankly, if he struggles as much as he did last year, he probably won't even be tendered a contract for next season, setting him free a year earlier.

I'd like to see the Mets add another starter for depth, like Joel Pineiro who was just released by the Phillies. Chris Schwinden is okay as a 6th starter but then you're looking at someone like Jeremy Hefner as your 7th starting option; bleh.

Edited by nmigliore

• 2 weeks later...

And it sounds like the Wilpons vs. Picard is finally over, apparently they've reached a settlement where the Wilpons have to pay between $80 and 162 million, but they don't have to start paying it for 3 1/2 years, which gives them time to settle all their other debts I suppose.

What's funny is that I guess so many people had made up their minds that the Katz-Wilpons had to go, that most Mets fans I know have greeted this settlement with groans. I think it will help the team be better sooner though. The Dodgers situation took so long just to reach where it is now. I would much rather the team get firm footing so they can either just proceed or sell quickly (though I don't expect that to happen for a long while now).

Hopefully Matt Harvey will make some big strides towards the majors this year.

What's funny is that I guess so many people had made up their minds that the Katz-Wilpons had to go, that most Mets fans I know have greeted this settlement with groans. I think it will help the team be better sooner though. The Dodgers situation took so long just to reach where it is now. I would much rather the team get firm footing so they can either just proceed or sell quickly (though I don't expect that to happen for a long while now).

Hopefully Matt Harvey will make some big strides towards the majors this year.

I despise the Wilpons for a lot of reasons, the main one that they constantly come off as clueless and amateur and out of touch with their fanbase, but mostly because they have stripped much of the joy and pride out of being a Mets fan...the embarassing moments never seem to end. But they're not going anywhere. So all we can do is hope they at least have resources in place to put a decent product on the field.

Always a positive of having a sucky team: cheap tickets

We really should have an NJDevs group outing at a Mets game one of these years lol...CR, lol, 7, you and whoever else posts here on a fairly regular basis. God knows this year we could probably get 50-60 tickets together let alone five or six :P

Generally I don't want to think about going to Mets games until after the Devil season is over...I don't know why, other than Opening Day I can't really get into baseball much until then enough to go. I do plan on making a handful of trips out there anyway this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

We really should have an NJDevs group outing at a Mets game one of these years lol...CR, lol, 7, you and whoever else posts here on a fairly regular basis. God knows this year we could probably get 50-60 tickets together let alone five or six :P

Generally I don't want to think about going to Mets games until after the Devil season is over...I don't know why, other than Opening Day I can't really get into baseball much until then enough to go. I do plan on making a handful of trips out there anyway this year.

I'd be in...seriously. I'd be fun to put faces to all of these screennames.

I'd be in...seriously. I'd be fun to put faces to all of these screennames.

Generally Fridays or weekend afternoons are what works best for me (I suspect the same would be true of most of us)...we could organize it in PM or here depending on how many people would do it. I don't want to start a PM yet cause I'm worried I'll miss a couple people lol.

Generally Fridays or weekend afternoons are what works best for me (I suspect the same would be true of most of us)...we could organize it in PM or here depending on how many people would do it. I don't want to start a PM yet cause I'm worried I'll miss a couple people lol.

Yeah, same here...weekdays are brutal for sure. But yeah, anybody who wants in...we can figure out a day without too much trouble, as sellouts are going to be few and far between...

I generally try to get to a game per month, though this year it looks like it will be slightly more than that. I typically sit in the 130's sections out in LF. Great seats and the concessions around it are fantastic; Carvel, Keith's Grill, a pastrami sandwich stand, Beers of the World.

I'd be down for an NJDevs meetup type of thing. It's kind of funny how we've "known" each other from these threads dating back to what, 2006, 2007, yet never actually met.

Edited by nmigliore

I generally try to get to a game per month, though this year it looks like it will be slightly more than that. I typically sit in the 130's sections out in LF. Great seats and the concessions around it are fantastic; Carvel, Keith's Grill, a pastrami sandwich stand, Beers of the World.

I'd be down for an NJDevs meetup type of thing. It's kind of funny how we've "known" each other dating back to what, 2006, 2007, yet never actually met.

Yeah I'm pretty much good for sitting anywhere, aside from maybe the upper Promenade corner, although even if you got tickets there you could probably move over a few sections anyway :lol:

It is funny, I've met a bunch of NJDevs people but not anyone from this thread group, and we're all pretty 'familiar' with each other since there are only several real posting regulars in this thread.

Yeah...geez nmig, you were a kid back then! You just turned 21, right? Too funny...and scary how quickly time goes...

If we do this, we're doing this RIGHT. That means tailgate! CR always has to have a good long tailgate. We'll probably have more fun during that than the game itself.

And yeah, wherever we sit is fine.

Yeah same thing, just turned 20 beginning of March.

I think a meet up would be pretty cool, I probably wouldn't be able to make it though. Work like a slave in the summer. When I'm not working I'm a volunteer football coach at my old high school. Tough to make plans, normally I don't know if I can get to a game until the day before.

Well I'd say definitely a weekend if we're tailgating then lol, since when I go on Friday nights it's usually after work and via the train so I really have to hoof it just to get there for first pitch (and yet I like going Fridays cause I don't feel like I have to plan a whole day around it like a weekend). Basically here are all the weekend home series - might bother to look up promos later.

April 7-8 Braves 1:10 PM each day

April 21-22 Giants 1:10 PM each day

May 5-6 Diamondbacks 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

May 26-27 Padres 1:10 PM each day

June 2-3 Cardinals 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

June 16-17 Reds 7:15 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

June 23-24 Yankees - eh forget that one lol

July 7-8 Cubs 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

July 21-22 Dodgers 1:10 PM each day

August 11-12 Braves 7:10 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

August 25-26 Astros 1:10 PM each day

September 8-9 Braves 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

September 22-23 Marlina 1:10 PM each day

Yeah same thing, just turned 20 beginning of March.

I think a meet up would be pretty cool, I probably wouldn't be able to make it though. Work like a slave in the summer. When I'm not working I'm a volunteer football coach at my old high school. Tough to make plans, normally I don't know if I can get to a game until the day before.

Oh man, 20 is a distant speck in the ol' rearview for me. I was 20 back in 1990. Ouch.

Well I'd say definitely a weekend if we're tailgating then lol, since when I go on Friday nights it's usually after work and via the train so I really have to hoof it just to get there for first pitch (and yet I like going Fridays cause I don't feel like I have to plan a whole day around it like a weekend). Basically here are all the weekend home series - might bother to look up promos later.

April 7-8 Braves 1:10 PM each day

April 21-22 Giants 1:10 PM each day

May 5-6 Diamondbacks 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

May 26-27 Padres 1:10 PM each day

June 2-3 Cardinals 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

June 16-17 Reds 7:15 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

June 23-24 Yankees - eh forget that one lol

July 7-8 Cubs 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

July 21-22 Dodgers 1:10 PM each day

August 11-12 Braves 7:10 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

August 25-26 Astros 1:10 PM each day

September 8-9 Braves 4:05 PM Sat, 1:10 PM Sun

September 22-23 Marlina 1:10 PM each day

Maybe May 5 or June 2? Love those 4:05 start times...extra tailgating!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wouldn't mind either...but I'd rather not plan anything for early May yet, just in case since that would be late second round of the NHL playoffs and there's a game I have to go to lol.

June we'd probably be safe lol...but depending on how many people would go, we can always wait a while to finalize plans either way, but it should be a game 'at least' you, me and lol can all make.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I think I could pull off June 2 pretty easily.

Lotsa notice here if others want to get in...

June 2nd doesn't work for me since I'm going June 3rd; don't really want to make 2 trips to New York in 2 weekend days.

Basically, these are the series I can't make it because of prior ticket obligations:

April vs SF

May vs SD

June vs STL

June vs CIN

July vs LAD

August vs MIA (weekday)

September vs MIA*

* - I have to check my tickets later because I'm not sure if that's right. It might be against Pittsburgh or something. I know it's in the final couple of weeks.

Edited by nmigliore