GDT: New Jersey @ Boston

Derlique

Well something more than an 18 year old defenseman has to account for the lack of quality play. I've followed the last several games on chat and this is the first time I have read "bad change" in consecutive chats. What's our ratio of PPG/SHG against. Pretty awful I gather.

Something's not right. We've got slow players and bad discipline.

Well something more than an 18 year old defenseman has to account for the lack of quality play. I've followed the last several games on chat and this is the first time I have read "bad change" in consecutive chats. What's our ratio of PPG/SHG against. Pretty awful I gather.

Something's not right. We've got slow players and bad discipline.

The DEVILS just won the 2012 Stanley Cup!!!

See CF - anyone can "write something in a chat"....

In all seriousness - I would encourage you to watch a few consecutive games for yourself - before inferring fact from a blog or forum.

No disrespect intended - but its hard to believe someone who is judging secondhand on things like this.

Yeah, except for that silly little RW issue

Ok yeah so I think what's happening is you're not watching the team so you are misinterpreting people's posts. Your cherry picking to paint a picture you understand.

It's all new guys all new mindset all new issues and all new strengths. You can watch. It's a fresh young team being well guided. Most exciting time to be a fan. You have to have lived some to read the signs. You have, so I think you should watch more often. Most guys here haven't lived enough to recognize a pattern of success. In ernest, if you've seen two up/down cycles you'll see what's going on. And it is fun!

Oy...and now we go from the doomsday crowd to the other side of the extreme aisle.

When's the last time the Devils actually beat up on the Rangers and Isles, before the lockout? We haven't done particuarly well against either team in recent years.

Why does this mean anything? Does how the 07-08 Devils have any bearing at all on how the 11-12 Devils would do against that team? Does last year's team have anything to do with it?

Edited by Triumph

Why does this mean anything? Does how the 07-08 Devils have any bearing at all on how the 11-12 Devils would do against that team? Does last year's team have anything to do with it?

The 07-08 Devils made the playoffs. The 11-12 Devils most likely won't make the playoffs.

The 07-08 Devils had a big grip of role players. The 11-12 Devils have a Captain with one foot out the door, and a former superstar with no defensive awareness at all.

You're right, what do the 07-08 Devils have to do with the 11-12 Devils?

The 07-08 Devils made the playoffs. The 11-12 Devils most likely won't make the playoffs.

The 07-08 Devils had a big grip of role players. The 11-12 Devils have a Captain with one foot out the door, and a former superstar with no defensive awareness at all.

You're right, what do the 07-08 Devils have to do with the 11-12 Devils?

lol you have no idea what you are talking about. but there's always a few. the 11-12 team is better than the 07-08 team by a pretty wide margin.

Is there really a RW issue? We aren't stacked at RW like we are with LW but it isn't like we have 0 RW's that can contribute.

With kovalchuk, zajac, and josefson back the lines could look like this :

zubrus-elias-sykora

Parise-zajac-clarkson

kovalchuk-josefson-palmeri

Boulton/pelley/zharkov-henrique-tedenby.

Regardless of what the combinations are the top three lines are all solid lines that could score on any night. I don't think the RW "issue" is going to stop these lines from being productive.

I doubt that. Maybe on paper, but not in results.

Results you aren't watching ... but inferring from what blogs, forums?

I don't get the gloom and doom when we just gave the B's their first significant run for there money in what 5 teams?

We stood toe to toe with these guys when former NJ teams would have given up after the 2-1 lead.

Did we get blown out by their usual 6-1 , 5-1 deficit?

Am I missing something????

Edited by DevilinLA

Results you aren't watching ... but inferring from what blogs, forums?

I don't get the gloom and doom when we just gave the B's their first significant run for there money in what 5 teams?

We stood toe to toe with these guys when former NJ teams would have given up after the 2-1 lead.

Did we get blown out by their usual 6-1 , 5-1 deficit?

Am I missing something????

Yeah, we're playing like a bunch of tossers and we can't afford to play like that. NYR, PITT and Philly are all playing well. These early points matter a whole heck of a lot. Plus teams like FLA, TOR have started to show some life. It's going to be hella tough getting a playoff spot this season.

Yeah, we did stand toe to toe with the Bruins tonight, but we let in some terrible goals due to stupid mistakes. I've watched a few games this season. Players get out of position much more than previously.

We haven't had too many 5-1, 6-1 losses this season, but we've had plenty of OT games which means we can't dominate a game and struggle just to keep pace.

Tedenby really messed around with some of those guys. He was fun to watch and he seems to be getting better with each game.

Also, I'd be quite surprised to see Henrique barely cracking a fourth line spot once the team is healthy. If they convert him to a RW, he seems to have potential for a spot at least on the third line if not the first. Overall, I was not terribly disappointed with this game. A couple big mistakes, and moments of being very much outplayed, but they did not look lost imo. Frustrating, but it won't make me jump out the window. Every day, though, I begin to miss Zajac more and more.

Yeah, we're playing like a bunch of tossers and we can't afford to play like that. NYR, PITT and Philly are all playing well. These early points matter a whole heck of a lot. Plus teams like FLA, TOR have started to show some life. It's going to be hella tough getting a playoff spot this season.

Yeah, we did stand toe to toe with the Bruins tonight, but we let in some terrible goals due to stupid mistakes. I've watched a few games this season. Players get out of position much more than previously.

We haven't had too many 5-1, 6-1 losses this season, but we've had plenty of OT games which means we can't dominate a game and struggle just to keep pace.

Sure the points matter - no doubt.

But I'm having a tough time buying these sweeping generalizations from "watched a few games this season".

A. You have a new coach.

B. Brand New Devils (some logging major minutes and major responsibility): Larsson, Henrique, Mills, Carter

C. Still green Sophmores: Fayne, Teddy, Palmeiri

D. A star LW and top 4 D man returning from season-long injuries

E. A 19-year old rookie logging top minutes, 21 year old center logging top line/PK minutes

F. Top line center out long term, and another C out in JJ

This is a practically brand new team developing chemistry and identity less than 1/4 through the season?

What did you really expect? The Washington Capitals? Mistake-free hockey from rookies being given the keys?

This is part of rebuilding - letting new guys learn. Better to do this in Nov. than being forced into via injury in Feb. or March.

I'm not a Pollyanna like some here - but was anyone on this board really expecting us to burn through the East with this lineup straight out of the dock?

I think its a great sign that this team can fight back and force overtime (previous NJ teams have NEVER been able to generate enough fight and offence to do this). I'd prefer not to win that way EVERY night - but its a GOOD sign at this point.

Edited by DevilinLA
  • Like 1

You make valid points, Devil.

I don't expect the Washington Capitals, but I do expect a better record than 8-7-1 which translates to 17 points which puts us in a bad spot. The chances of us having a win streak like last season is very slim.

I do expect a little but of chemistry, but we've only got the Elias line doing that. Once Kovy, Josefson and Zajac come back that's bound to offset whatever little chemistry the team has developed which puts us back in square one.

You make valid points, Devil.

I don't expect the Washington Capitals, but I do expect a better record than 8-7-1 which translates to 17 points which puts us in a bad spot. The chances of us having a win streak like last season is very slim.

I do expect a little but of chemistry, but we've only got the Elias line doing that. Once Kovy, Josefson and Zajac come back that's bound to offset whatever little chemistry the team has developed which puts us back in square one.

You do realize how silly this all sounds, right? I'm 90% sure you do, but in case you don't: If NJ had won tonight - something that was entirely possible, in spite of how poorly they played in the 3rd period - they would have been 9-6-1. Which is 19 points in 16 games or a 97 point pace.

The Devils won't need a win streak like last year's to get them in the playoffs as long as they get decent goaltending.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

Sure the points matter - no doubt.

But I'm having a tough time buying these sweeping generalizations from "watched a few games this season".

A. You have a new coach.

B. Brand New Devils (some logging major minutes and major responsibility): Larsson, Henrique, Mills, Carter

C. Still green Sophmores: Fayne, Teddy, Palmeiri

D. A star LW and top 4 D man returning from season-long injuries

E. A 19-year old rookie logging top minutes, 21 year old center logging top line/PK minutes

F. Top line center out long term, and another C out in JJ

This is a practically brand new team developing chemistry and identity less than 1/4 through the season?

What did you really expect? The Washington Capitals? Mistake-free hockey from rookies being given the keys?

This is part of rebuilding - letting new guys learn. Better to do this in Nov. than being forced into via injury in Feb. or March.

I'm not a Pollyanna like some here - but was anyone on this board really expecting us to burn through the East with this lineup straight out of the dock?

I think its a great sign that this team can fight back and force overtime (previous NJ teams have NEVER been able to generate enough fight and offence to do this). I'd prefer not to win that way EVERY night - but its a GOOD sign at this point.

oh welcome, sweet voice of reason

I mean... Look at all the teams ahead of us in our situation...

Take out their top 2 centers.... And take their top dman and bring him back at 18 years old... Also if they have a pure sniper superstar take him out of the lineup for 5 games

Now tell me how they'd look

Edited by SterioDesign

Painful to lose the 2 pts or even 1 from that game. But it was a WELL played game with a LOT of effort and a LOT of great work from a LOT of guys on the ice.

It's a L, but there were SO many positive things happening during that game, that IF they CAN build off 'em, we MIGHT look back to tonight and say that was where they started to really turn on the effort and make a serious Gut check.

GO DEVILS!! Destroy Buffalo tonight!!!!!

FWIW, all of our goals came from RWs last night.

Positives I take from this game:

- Tedenby had one of his best efforts of the season. He was constantly in the middle of things, creating plays.

- Palmieri's smile after his goal said it all. The kid really needed that, and to get a second goal on top of it makes it even better. Hopefully we get to see a similar grin, albeit with fewer teeth, from Teddy soon.

- Hedberg was ridiculous. Highlight reel save after highlight reel save.

- Part of that was necessitated by how wide open the game was, and it was good to see the Devils match the Bruins in a game like that right up until the end. It's one thing to stay in a game with an elite team when you're forcing them to play your game, but when you're forced to play theirs and are still able to stay in it, that says a lot. Especially when you're missing two top-six forwards.

- Janssen leveling Chara was friggin awesome. Hot damn, I missed that crazy bastard.

All in all, great effort despite the loss. Looking forward to tonight's game.

LGD!