Evan Roberts Is Awesome

Daniel

Beningo and Roberts just fielded a call from a Ranger fan that concluded the call with saying the Devils need cheerleaders to sell out the building. Evan (an Isles, not a Devils fan) went on a two minute tirade saying that's the most "obnoxious" pot shot that Ranger fans have to resort to. Paraphrasing, Evan said that it's all the Ranger fan has, since the Devils have been the better team on the ice and that the Devils "beat your team" when you were the number one seed, and that the Rangers haven't won anything since 1994.

Beningo and Roberts just fielded a call from a Ranger fan that concluded the call with saying the Devils need cheerleaders to sell out the building. Evan (an Isles, not a Devils fan) went on a two minute tirade saying that's the most "obnoxious" pot shot that Ranger fans have to resort to. Paraphrasing, Evan said that it's all the Ranger fan has, since the Devils have been the better team on the ice and that the Devils "beat your team" when you were the number one seed, and that the Rangers haven't won anything since 1994.
Evan also said "when it comes to winning, the Devils own this town". It was glorious.

Always and forever the dumbest fanbase in the NHL. There's no shortage of Rangers fans willing to prove that on an almost-daily basis. That call to Evan is as about across-the-board, as far as the Ranger fan mentality goes, as it gets.

Evan should know that in Rangerland, anything that happened in the NHL after '94 never really did. The Devils never won in '95, the Avs never won in '96, etc etc...the '94 Cup just gets celebrated over and over again, and that's the only Cup that matters. No other organization and fanbase has ever been as pathetic as the Rangers in this regard. I don't hear Jet fans constantly bringing up '69 or finding reasons to relive that one. The Mets occasionally bring up '86, but not nearly to the extent that the Ranger franchise and fans mention '94. I've said this before, but there's a large contingent of Ranger fans who still think Matteau still haunts Devils fans. If the Devils hadn't gotten to five SC Finals and won three of them, I could understand that. But like I've said, in Rangerland, time stopped at '94. So sad, so brutally pathetic. A bunch of douchbags with God-awful Noo Yawk accents. Bleech!

• Like 1

Always and forever the dumbest fanbase in the NHL. There's no shortage of Rangers fans willing to prove that on an almost-daily basis. That call to Evan is as about across-the-board, as far as the Ranger fan mentality goes, as it gets.

Evan should know that in Rangerland, anything that happened in the NHL after '94 never really did. The Devils never won in '95, the Avs never won in '96, etc etc...the '94 Cup just gets celebrated over and over again, and that's the only Cup that matters. No other organization and fanbase has ever been as pathetic as the Rangers in this regard. I don't hear Jet fans constantly bringing up '69 or finding reasons to relive that one. The Mets occasionally bring up '86, but not nearly to the extent that the Ranger franchise and fans mention '94. I've said this before, but there's a large contingent of Ranger fans who still think Matteau still haunts Devils fans. If the Devils hadn't gotten to five SC Finals and won three of them, I could understand that. But like I've said, in Rangerland, time stopped at '94. So sad, so brutally pathetic. A bunch of douchbags with God-awful Noo Yawk accents. Bleech!

And this is why I hope every day that they don't win a cup anytime soon. They would treat 2 cups in 20 years like a dynasty.

And this is why I hope every day that they don't win a cup anytime soon. They would treat 2 cups in 20 years like a dynasty.

Hey, if the Rangers win the Cup this year, is it only half a cup? I mean, I'm just using their logic (and I use that term very loosely when it comes to Ranger fans) here lol. I mean, they all went out of their way to discredit the '95 Cup, so I'm wondering if that would be the case if they won this year. My guess is they'd be changing their tune on that real quick.

Hey, if the Rangers win the Cup this year, is it only half a cup? I mean, I'm just using their logic (and I use that term very loosely when it comes to Ranger fans) here lol. I mean, they all went out of their way to discredit the '95 Cup, so I'm wondering if that would be the case if they won this year. My guess is they'd be changing their tune on that real quick.

They would never flip flop on half a cup, just like they would never flip flop on hating defensive hockey systems.

• Like 1

I've said this before, but there's a large contingent of Ranger fans who still think Matteau still haunts Devils fans.

I'll be honest, it still pisses me off, to no end!! Although having his son on the devisl has actually helped a bit. And I do like the idea of a " Mattuea Mattuea Mattuea" chant everytine jr scores.

But yes, that still burns me up... even w/ 3 cups!!!

I'll be honest, it still pisses me off, to no end!! Although having his son on the devisl has actually helped a bit. And I do like the idea of a " Mattuea Mattuea Mattuea" chant everytine jr scores.

But yes, that still burns me up... even w/ 3 cups!!!

3 words red: Henrique. It's. Over. The ghost of Matteau is dead.

Matteau haunted me insofar as NJ had never beaten the Rangers in a meaningful playoff series - I mean, sure there was 2006, which was great, but the Devils got rubbed out by Carolina and the Rangers were missing both Lundqvist and Jagr. And 97 really hurt too, that was a good Devils team against a not-that-great Rangers team But that's all over with after 2012.

3 words red: Henrique. It's. Over. The ghost of Matteau is dead.

Don';t get me wrong, the Henrique goal was great... But 2 things 1) we did not win the cup last year. 2) the rags were dead at that point. Once the Devs won game 5 I was very confident they would win game 6.

'94 we lost 2 double OT games, and we still have to hear about friggin '94!! and the friggin call AARRRGGHHH!! MSG plays it all the friggin time!!

Don';t get me wrong, the Henrique goal was great... But 2 things 1) we did not win the cup last year. 2) the rags were dead at that point. Once the Devs won game 5 I was very confident they would win game 6.

'94 we lost 2 double OT games, and we still have to hear about friggin '94!! and the friggin call AARRRGGHHH!! MSG plays it all the friggin time!!

I have no idea why you would let anything diminish beating them last year. The facts are we've been to 5 Finals and won 3 Cups since the Rangers last won. We've now beaten them in an ECF. The Matteau ghost is dead, and now we get to watch his son stick it to the Rangers for the forseeable future. It's been avenged for me.
  • Like 1

The midday show is definitely my favorite and Evan Roberts is probably the reason why. He's very knowledgeable and tells it like it is. Good on him for shutting up a stupid Rags fan.

On a side note, anyone else notice how much more attention hockey is getting? Last night, there must have been a dozen Devils fans who called Summers talking about the game. I think last years playoffs really did bring a lot of attention to NY area hockey.

Matteau haunted me insofar as NJ had never beaten the Rangers in a meaningful playoff series - I mean, sure there was 2006, which was great, but the Devils got rubbed out by Carolina and the Rangers were missing both Lundqvist and Jagr. And 97 really hurt too, that was a good Devils team against a not-that-great Rangers team But that's all over with after 2012.

If the Devils had never recovered from Matteau's goal, yeah, it would bug me. But the Devils winning the Cup the next season erased that for me. '97 hurt plenty, but a lot less so after the Rangers lost in five to the Flyers the next round. And 2000 and 2003 just made Matteau that much more of a distant memory, a painful stepping stone on the way to better things.

When Rag fans use the attendance argument, you know things are becoming unglued. That's basically the only thing they had to use against us in the late 90's early 2000's. And even that argument can be poked full of holes. Remember when the Isles got a little better in the early 90's...you saw tons of Islander fans at the Garden. Remember 1993 when Turgeon eliminated the Rags. VERY AUDIBLE Islander fan reaction

this idea that they have some sort of "tradition" (thinnest of the original 6 btw) and amazing fan base is simply untrue. They're not on the Leafs or Habs level. I'm betting Chicago and Detroit probably have a more knowledgeable core of die hards in the midwest. NYR is still too many elitist fair weather suits

The Devils fan base right now is about as loud, large, and passionate as it's ever been. And we did sell out opening night. So maybe they're starting to feel a bit threatened with the amount of noise our fan base is beginning to make. Maybe they feel encroached upon. But they still draw upon the same old tired arguments "Devils-Rainjizz in Jersey? bah haff da crowd is Rainja fanz!"

It hasn't been 1/2 Ranger fans since 1993.

• Like 1

The morning of June 25, 1995, I went into a bagel shop in Clifton, NJ. The chubby, hairy, doofusy Guido behind the counter immediately said "Oh yeah, now you guys all come outta da woodwork!" I said "Nope, I've always rooted for the Devils, always will." He said "Yea, well, dat series wuz fixed, you know it was." (He was NOT kidding, he was deadly serious.) I said something like "Yep, that's brilliant, guess you have a lot to think about while making those bagels all day long. Don't worry, 2048 will be here before you know it, you'll see your beloved wittle Wain-jurz win anutta Cup den!" I usually don't get into like that, especially then (I was quite skinny then...that was before I started working out), but the guy was just such a miserable a$$hole, and such a typical Ranger fan. He didn't say much after that, and I made sure someone else made my bagel, so he couldn't add any extra flavor to it. Probably still making bagels and wondering what happened.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

In addition, the Rangers kind of blew it. They made a great trade for Mark Messier. They had Brian Leetch, Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Sergei Zubov, and Alexei Kovalev come through the system - an amazing young core. Leetch is an HOFer, Zubov should be, and Kovalev and Weight are All-Star level players. Then they even got Petr Nedved awarded to them as a result of Keenan leaving. But they traded Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen (horrible trade), traded Tony Amonte for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan (bad trade), traded Zubov-Nedved for Robitaille-Samuelsson (terrible trade), and ended up being dogsh!t by 1998. Unfortunately the league is constructed such that you can't fvck it up like that again but oh I wish it were.

In addition, the Rangers kind of blew it. They made a great trade for Mark Messier. They had Brian Leetch, Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Sergei Zubov, and Alexei Kovalev come through the system - an amazing young core. Leetch is an HOFer, Zubov should be, and Kovalev and Weight are All-Star level players. Then they even got Petr Nedved awarded to them as a result of Keenan leaving. But they traded Doug Weight for Esa Tikkanen (horrible trade), traded Tony Amonte for Stephane Matteau and Brian Noonan (bad trade), traded Zubov-Nedved for Robitaille-Samuelsson (terrible trade), and ended up being dogsh!t by 1998. Unfortunately the league is constructed such that you can't fvck it up like that again but oh I wish it were.

They blew their wad on '94...practically sold their soul to make that Cup happen, and even then, they almost didn't get it done. They paid for it for years.

re: Amonte. The Rags were very confused with the huge step back he took in 1993-1994. Probably was having issues with Keenan...that trade had Keenans fingerprints all over it.

1991-1994 was the window to win it all for the Rags. They completely blew it the past 2 seasons. 1994 was the absolute drop dead date to win a cup

Even Gartner for Anderson was a bad one.

By the late 90's the Rags D consisted of Peter Popovic, Rumun Ndur, Chris Tamer and other random garbage. No wonder they turned the lights down at the Garden

Edited by '7'

This is why I love Benigno and Roberts. Even though they are not Devils fans, they are very respectable and don't make idiotic comments. To be fair though, the majority of the people who call the sports radio programs are "not all there" if you get my drift. I remember an incident where this "yankees fan" called and said that the Yankees will never win and that they should enjoy 2003. The sad part is Francesca had to remind him we won in 2009.

I dont mind honestly if Rangers fans hurl insults because for the most part its funny and its just part of the rivalry. The cheerleader comment was dumb and it was brought up before when the Devils were in the Stanley Cup against LA. Some Rangers fans said that the Devils are the only team that has cheerleaders when it fact its not true (i.e. Panthers..etc) Personally I think they call just to get their 15 seconds of fame. Most of these comments are made I think due to jealously and overall New York fans in general do have a poor reputation in their fandom. My concern is why a fanbase is so obsessed over their win in 1994.

Last year evened things up for me. We took out the team of destiny (streamers and all), and did so by winning 2 of 3 games in the giant bed pan that is MSG. Plus, Henrique's OT goal was one of the most exhilirating sports moments I've every witnessed in my life (right up there with winning all 3 cups). If I could go back and re-live 1 sporting experience again, it probably would be that game.

The Rags had the Queen in 2006 (it was his rookie year). They blame migrain headaches for his absolutely aweful performance in Game 1, which led to Weekes playing in game 2. The Queen was in net for games 3 and 4, and got absolutely owned by the Devils through most of that series. Jagr was missing because he seperated his own shoulder trying to elbow Gomez in the head towards the end of Game 1. Pathetic.