Oh Tortorella

grcenter47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeuJPhrt8E

Apparently he got into a scrum with some Calagary players in front of the Flames lockerroom

Apparently the game was really chippy with almost 140 minutes of penalties given in the first 2 seconds

http://deadspin.com/flames-canucks-features-line-brawl-two-seconds-into-gam-1504407615?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

penalty_zpsae0a776c.jpg

Edited by grcenter47

I'm sure this one was Hartley's fault since it's always the other coach's fault when Tortorella puts his fourth line on the ice to start the game and mayhem ensues.

keep in mind though the away team has to submit their starters first. Maybe he saw that and it pissed him off

I (kind of) understand Torts' notion that he has to put his tough guys out...but still, if he starts skill players and CGY's goons go after them, they're crucified. And I bet Burke would crucify Hartley, because even if he likes his tough guys, he's not down with goons-on-skill violence.

Because hes a great coach. He took the rangers from a joke to a consistent playoff team. He makes a team hardnosed and gives them an identity. I love torts, even when he was on the rags.

The bolded is completely inaccurate.  They made the playoffs in the three seasons before he took over.  He might have done things differently, but his way didn't really lead to that much more success with the Rangers than what they had experienced just before.  In the three seasons before he got there, the Rangers won two playoff rounds.  In his just over 4 seasons with the Rangers, his team made the playoffs four times (missed them once) and won three rounds.  They also lost a Conference Final where they were the favorite. 

The bolded is completely inaccurate. They made the playoffs in the three seasons before he took over. He might have done things differently, but his way didn't really lead to that much more success with the Rangers than what they had experienced just before. In the three seasons before he got there, the Rangers won two playoff rounds. In his just over 4 seasons with the Rangers, his team made the playoffs four times (missed them once) and won three rounds. They also lost a Conference Final where they were the favorite.

Like you just said he lost a conference final where they were a favorite. He changed the team from a joke to a consistent playoff team thats expected to perform near the top of the league every year. He gives a team an identity and makes every team he goes to better within a few years. Hes won a cup. Hes a great coach and damn entertaining. Yeah "ohh he was with the rangers and I hate the rangers so that guy SUCKS". No, I would love for him to be our coach if PDB wasnt. But I love PDB and his style of play, the hate for him on this website is just plain silly.

Because hes a great coach. He took the rangers from a joke to a consistent playoff team. He makes a team hardnosed and gives them an identity. I love torts, even when he was on the rags.

He took a bubble team to the conference final once. They're still a bubble team and they were a bubble team before that. Let's not make this into anymore than it really is.

Like you just said he lost a conference final where they were a favorite. He changed the team from a joke to a consistent playoff team thats expected to perform near the top of the league every year. He gives a team an identity and makes every team he goes to better within a few years. Hes won a cup. Hes a great coach and damn entertaining. Yeah "ohh he was with the rangers and I hate the rangers so that guy SUCKS". No, I would love for him to be our coach if PDB wasnt. But I love PDB and his style of play, the hate for him on this website is just plain silly.

I just pointed out that the team was in the playoffs consistently BEFORE he got there.  Three straight seasons.  How exactly does that make them a joke before he took over?  I didn't say he sucked because he was with the Rangers, I said that they really didn't do that much better under him than they had previously.  The team went 11-13 in the playoffs in the three seasons before he got there, and 19-25 while he was the coach.  Maybe they were more theatrical and more interesting due to his antics, but they weren't appreciably better. 

Yeah, he's had success, no arguing that, but the Tampa Bay team he had that Cup-winning year was pretty loaded too.  He's probably a little more arrogant than he should be.  But yeah, you could do a lot worse with a head coach than him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If we're going to credit the coach, Renney turned them into a consistent playoff team expected to do big things. In fact, Renney was fired partially because of the bloated expectations fans and front office had about a team that was, in reality, a bubble team. Torts took over, did some good things, and they remained a bubble team. If you want to give anyone credit for making them a consistent playoff team (and they still haven't taken the next step, conference final appearance notwithstanding), it's Lundquist giving them a chance to win every game (this year being the exception). Makes it a whole lot easier to make the playoffs if your scorers can go cold and you can still win.

I actually liked Torts, hated him during his time with the Rangers, but thought he was a pretty good coach, one of the few that does what he wants and doesn't try to appeal to anybody. He's a firey coach, unlike the softy we have behind our bench now, but something like this is unacceptable. Woody Hayes had his college career ended for punching an Illinois linebacker, if Torts doesn't get at least a few games from Shanny, that'd be a disgrace.