Devils sign 2 minor leaguers (of their own) and Kinkaid

Triumph

Search is still disabled so I couldn't find my Minor Transactions thread - the Devils signed Maxime Clermont, Keith Kinkaid, and Corbin McPherson to two-way NHL contracts.   Kinkaid is getting 105/600 on his deal.  I don't understand why Maxime Clermont is getting an NHL contract, but the Devils have some space on their reserve list, so yeah.  NJ now has 6 spots open on its reserve list if Gelinas, Burlon, Wohlberg, Josefson, and Timmins all get NHL contracts.

Edited by Triumph

I get that the Devils have the space but why does Clermont get a NHL deal? He's always been a sub .900 SV% guy in the ECHL. Last year he had a -12.75 GSAA and 119 GA%-.

I do like seeing McPherson get a NHL deal. According to reports he was paired with Helgeson to do the heavy lifting in Albany last year. 6'4, 210, shutdown D who was drafted by the Devils and worked himself up from an AHL deal. Good for him.

Severson signed a NHL deal, correct?

He signed his back before the 2012-13 season so his contract has already slid twice. Here are his contract details.

It's not crazy.  Giving Clermont a chance.  He posted good numbers in the VERY small sample sizes.  It's not exactly a shining example of the guys talent, but you have to remember that he's only 22 and still has a year or two of development.  I don't know if its right to write him off just yet. 

In those small sample sizes he posted above a 92%.  In his 2 AHL games and 3 ECHL playoff games.  I understand it's a small sample size and maybe 2 of those 5 games he came in as relief.  I say throw him to the wolves in Albany and see how he looks with more time.  Yeah, it takes up a reserve list spot, but wasn't Jeff Frazee on the reserve list until he was 24 or 25?

It's not crazy.  Giving Clermont a chance.  He posted good numbers in the VERY small sample sizes.  It's not exactly a shining example of the guys talent, but you have to remember that he's only 22 and still has a year or two of development.  I don't know if its right to write him off just yet. 

In those small sample sizes he posted above a 92%.  In his 2 AHL games and 3 ECHL playoff games.  I understand it's a small sample size and maybe 2 of those 5 games he came in as relief.  I say throw him to the wolves in Albany and see how he looks with more time.  Yeah, it takes up a reserve list spot, but wasn't Jeff Frazee on the reserve list until he was 24 or 25?

Even really bad goalies are occasionally really good. That doesn't mean you sign them to NHL deals.

Even really bad goalies are occasionally really good. That doesn't mean you sign them to NHL deals.

And sometimes good goalies are occasionally very bad.  Those 'tenders get NHL deals all the time.  See Bryzgalov, Ilya; Luongo, Roberto; Ward, Cam;  Was there a point to your comment? 

Occasionally, no, A LOT of times goaltenders don't fully mature and develop until age 25.  I'm also under the assumption that those games that I pointed out were later in the season.  Maybe he's developing...It doesn't mean you totally write off a player (especially a Goalie) at age 22. 

Edited by RizzMB30

We have no room for him, it's a waste in the end.

And sometimes good goalies are occasionally very bad. Those 'tenders get NHL deals all the time. See Bryzgalov, Ilya; Luongo, Roberto; Ward, Cam; Was there a point to your comment?

Occasionally, no, A LOT of times goaltenders don't fully mature and develop until age 25. I'm also under the assumption that those games that I pointed out were later in the season. Maybe he's developing...It doesn't mean you totally write off a player (especially a Goalie) at age 22.

Jeff Frazee actually posted good seasons in the AHL.  He maybe could've been a backup goalie in the NHL.  Maxime Clermont can't even make it into the AHL.  He's not going to be an NHL goalie, or anything close.

He couldn't have played in the AHL due to crowding at the position.  Just because he was lowest on the depth chart doesn't mean you completely write him off without seeing him perform.  What's the harm in seeing how he plays behind Wedgewood?  I don't understand the lack of faith at a position that is totally off the wall random at times.  Nobody thought that Tim Thomas was an NHL goalie either. 

He couldn't have played in the AHL due to crowding at the position. Just because he was lowest on the depth chart doesn't mean you completely write him off without seeing him perform. What's the harm in seeing how he plays behind Wedgewood? I don't understand the lack of faith at a position that is totally off the wall random at times. Nobody thought that Tim Thomas was an NHL goalie either.

In 99 ECHL games he has an .895 save percentage. In juniors he had an .893. I don't see how 5 AHL games at .934 overrides all that.

There's no harm seeing what he does. Signing him to an NHL deal was a waste though

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I think it says a lot about Clermont that he hasn't been able to pass Wedgewood on the depth chart. Wedgewood's professional career has been underwhelming so far.

In other minor league news, Chere tweeted about a week ago that Harry Young will sign an AHL deal. With McPherson signed to a NHL deal, the Albany FA's coming off AHL deals are Artem Demkov, Dan Kelly, Chris McKelvie, and Kelly Zajac.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I watched quite a bit of Clermont and Wedgewood during/after the lockout in Trenton (Wedge with the Titans, Clermont with Elmira, who seemed to always be in town when I made it down there). While Wedgewood has been relatively underwhelming so far, he was light years beyond Clermont. Wedgewood seems to me like he could put it together eventually and push to being an AHL starter/occasional NHL call-up. I can't even see Clermont as an AHL starter based on what I've seen of him so far.

Again, this is all based on 6 or 7 viewings when both were in the ECHL, but based on that, I'm surprised they gave Clermont an NHL contract.

He couldn't have played in the AHL due to crowding at the position.  Just because he was lowest on the depth chart doesn't mean you completely write him off without seeing him perform.  What's the harm in seeing how he plays behind Wedgewood?  I don't understand the lack of faith at a position that is totally off the wall random at times.  Nobody thought that Tim Thomas was an NHL goalie either. 

Tim Thomas had an up and down pro career until he put it together.  Maxime Clermont has a down and down pro career.