Rags Sign Shanny

CMONPETEYD

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I can kind of see what Shanny is doing here. The goaltending situation in Detroit is looking kind of shaky. The Wings aren't what they used to be. Yzerman retired. Now, after all the fuss he made when he was a Whaler about wanting to go to Detroit, you'd think he'd finish his career there, no matter what the team was going to be like. Because his complaint when he was in Hartford was not that the team couldn't win, it was that they weren't going to win, the town wasn't big enough and it wasn't a storied enough franchise for him, he wanted to go to an Original Six Franchise. Personally, I'd think he'd finish up in Detroit, but apparently not.

He did turn down more $$$ from Montreal, but after the tax differential was taken into account, I wonder how much more it was. Plus, lets face it, I know Renney has instilled more of a system in NY, but in Montreal, you are playing for two of the hardest of hard-asses in Carbonneau and Gainey. And I say that with the greatest of respect and admiration. Plus, for all the talk about the big stage in NY, Shanny won't be recognized by 99.9% of New Yorkers. He'll never make the back page, or very rarely. Lindros mentioned what a treat it was to to just live his life in NY. In Montreal, not only will they recognize you everywhere, but they will rip you in the press...in two languages if you don't perform and sometimes even if you do.

Edited by SueNJ97

Gainey's got to be tearing out his hair (if there's anything left), he supposedly offered more money to both Elias and Shanny than what they signed for and both turned him down. Guess playing in Montreal ain't what it used to be, especially with the improved exchange rate.

I don't exactly blame the Rangers this time for going for an older UFA, they more or less have to go for it sooner rather than later with Jagr in his mid-30's.

Edited by NJDevs26

Even at his age, he had a great season last year. With a player that's 37 and kept up a high level of play, you're always worried about that one year where he just loses everything and seemingly has aged for 5 years in one offseason. The one year deal is good, 4 million is a bit much (I wouldn't have given him more than 3.5, but he did score 40 goals) For the Rangers, he's a good, playoff tested vet, he'll be a leader in the locker room, and if he has a 30-30 season, it'll be worth it.

i didn't want him in boston, because we have enough big contracts. Though 4 mil for shanny isn't all that bad. He isn't the bruising 50 goal punisher he once was, but that elite shot has not left him, he's a power forward who's managed to keep his game. He got 40 goals at 36, everybody makes a big deal about his age, but it's still 40 goals.

He might get as many with jagr around as well, taking the pressure off of him. The rags main problem was secondary scoring right? This should help out. Though if they get to the playoffs, shanny won't give them much secondary scoring.

Looks like the Rangers haven't changed their ways.

http://tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=170921&hubName=main

How so?

Im not a Rags fan by any stretch but I feel compelled to stick up for them on this one.

Signing Shanny to a 1 year deal shows me the Rangers have some discipline, moreso then in the past....and Cullen and Ward were decent signings...I am trying to figure out how that shows the Rangers have not changed their ways :noclue:

Edited by LOTCB

A one year deal is kind of silly too me. Either your committed to the player/team or you're not.

This isn't a building move or a stop gap move. I don't understand this move at all, unless the Rangers just have money to burn this year.

(This from the Detroit Free Press: )

Red Wings

BYE, SHANNY: Shanahan accepts Rangers' offer

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...670/1048/SPORTS

July 9, 2006

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

After nine seasons and three Stanley Cups with the Red Wings, Brendan Shanahan has decided to play in the Big Apple.

The Free Press confirmed Sunday morning that Shanahan has accepted a one-year offer with the Rangers, believed to be worth around $4 million.

The Wings had offered him $4 million for one season, and a slightly lower per-average for two seasons.

His departure leaves the Wings without one of their top forwards. At 6-foot-3, 218 pounds Shanahan provided size along with his accurate scoring touch. Last season, which saw him turn 37 in January, he scored 40 goals among 81 points. Since he arrived in a trade on Oct. 9, 1996, he has been a cornerstone on an offensive line and an integral part of the power play. While his last three playoffs have disappointed

yeah, I think it is a bit much. I was expecting shanny to sign somewhere for 2.5-3mil. However, what does this mean for sykora. I guess he is definitely gone as a ranger (which I am happy with since i never like seeing former devs as a blueskirt. even ones that have lost their touch).

yeah, I think it is a bit much. I was expecting shanny to sign somewhere for 2.5-3mil. However, what does this mean for sykora. I guess he is definitely gone as a ranger (which I am happy with since i never like seeing former devs as a blueskirt. even ones that have lost their touch).

Umm... Shanahan is a former Devil, too...

I took a look at a couple of Red Wing boards to see what they thought brought this on, because if it was just the $$$, he was offered more to go to Montreal, and perhaps more, or about the same to stay in Detroit. The answer seems to be somewhat in line with what I said about Montreal management. Shanahan hated playing for Babcock because he expected Shanahan tp play two-way hockey and Shanny has gotten to the point where he pretty much has no interest. Also, he pushed Shanny to show some toughness in his game and Shanny wasn't muach interested in that anymore, either, he wanted to float around in the offensive zone and wait for the one-timer. Now, when he did what Babcock asked, he was actually very effective and, as people have noted, had a very good year. He just didn't really want to do it.

If he went to Montreal, he'd be playing for two guys, Carbonneau and Gainey, who would expect that kind of effort if not more from him night in and night out. I wonder what he thinks Renney will expect from him. Because Tom, at least, will expect an effort. Whether Sather expects it is another matter.

Rage are now the Rag$$$$ again :)

4 million for shanny is only 2 million less than Elias's average.

I'm lovin it

You really have no room to talk. At least they didn't overpay a washed up player. Or was that 3 last summer?

I like this move. For one year, it's fine. But the price is one million too much. Say what you will about Shanahan but he still has something left in the tank and can add some much needed grit to a Ranger team which was way too soft this past Spring. And still has that great one-timer which can become an added dimension to their predictable power play.

I also think it's nice to get a North American player who has Cup experience and knows what it takes to win. You put him on the second line with Cullen and Prucha and suddenly the dynamic changes.

Maybe even Prucha plays 3rd line which would make them even more difficult to play. That would give them a heck of a lot more balance than the predictable shadow job every team employed at the end.

A one year deal is kind of silly too me. Either your committed to the player/team or you're not.

This isn't a building move or a stop gap move. I don't understand this move at all, unless the Rangers just have money to burn this year.

After the Devils experiences this past season I wouldn't give any 35+ player a multi-year deal.

They obviously feel that with some secondary scoring help, they can improve on last season. You don't commit longterm to a player that age. One year is sensible cause it gives guys like Dawes, Dubinsky and Korpikoski time to develop. Out of those three, Dawes is probably the most NHL ready and could still make the team. But he's not starting out on a top 2 line. That's just not realistic. You don't hand out roster spots to unproven rookies. They have to be earned like Prucha did last year.

Also, he pushed Shanny to show some toughness in his game and Shanny wasn't much interested in that anymore, either, he wanted to float around in the offensive zone and wait for the one-timer. Now, when he did what Babcock asked, he was actually very effective and, as people have noted, had a very good year. He just didn't really want to do it.

i guess he's kind of like the old elephant going to the graveyard to die...lol!

I like this move. For one year, it's fine. But the price is one million too much. Say what you will about Shanahan but he still has something left in the tank and can add some much needed grit to a Ranger team which was way too soft this past Spring. And still has that great one-timer which can become an added dimension to their predictable power play.

I also think it's nice to get a North American player who has Cup experience and knows what it takes to win. You put him on the second line with Cullen and Prucha and suddenly the dynamic changes.

Maybe even Prucha plays 3rd line which would make them even more difficult to play. That would give them a heck of a lot more balance than the predictable shadow job every team employed at the end.

Can't stress enough his locker room presence. The Rangers might have had a different post season and brought more woe to the Devils if they'd had someone like Shanny on their bench.

Shanahan isn't the power forward he was in the 90s - he floats and avoids contact now, so he should fit right in on the Rangers. He'll add some scoring pop to the lineup, but it will be interesting to see how much. Of all the Red Wings I just got the sense through the Wings' latest playoff failures that he above all the lifelong Wings lacks the passion. He's probably good for 25 goals, maybe 30.

I wish nonis woulda gotten shanny, ah well, it's going to be strange to see him in a rags jersey