All purpose Olympics thread

SterioDesign

I agree - like when Wickenheiser was completely out of gas, felt some pressure from behind, and then flopped like she had been shot on that breakaway?

I'm being a bit of a sore loser here but the officiating in overtime was horrendous.  Absolutely embarrassing. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it like this.

840052948.gif

Edited by Mike Brown

Coming at this from a Canadian perspective...

That call was lame at a first glance. But the US were slashing at the goalie several times throughout the game and once, after their captain did it, she was spoken to by the referee. If you don't want to get penalized, don't slash at the goalie for no reason.

Therein lies one of the difficult areas of officiating.  Some people take a philosophy of, "You must call it the exact same way all game.  If it's holding in the first, then it's holding in the final two minutes."  Others say, "You can't call all of those, there would be too many penalties and it would ruin the game.  If players start to infringe and violate the rules too frequently, then you call a penalty to make them scale back."  I see this across different sports and even within a sport.

Therein lies one of the difficult areas of officiating.  Some people take a philosophy of, "You must call it the exact same way all game.  If it's holding in the first, then it's holding in the final two minutes."  Others say, "You can't call all of those, there would be too many penalties and it would ruin the game.  If players start to infringe and violate the rules too frequently, then you call a penalty to make them scale back."  I see this across different sports and even within a sport.

I like it when the officials are consistent.  But I'm not against them calling things differently in the first period than in the 3rd.

840052948.gif

God damn that .gif pisses me off.

Edit:  I'd like to see the reverse angle though.  If she grabs on with her left hand..then obviously it's a legit trip.  Not a crosscheck.

Edited by Devilsfan118

840052948.gif

I am looking at this from a totally unbiased opinion. The cross check call was complete bullsh!t. Just as bad a call that you can't  make, and one I can't imagine any level 1 (it's probably a real thing) ref makes there. It is a trip or nothing.

I don't think Wickenheiser dove though. Is that a tripping call? Possibly. I think any NHL ref calls something there unless they put the whistles away...and after that ATROCIOUS slashing call...that was clearly not the case.

Edited by devilsrule33

God damn that .gif pisses me off.

Edit:  I'd like to see the reverse angle though.  If she grabs on with her left hand..then obviously it's a legit trip.  Not a crosscheck.

I think it's safe to say she doesn't though because she appears to be gripping her stick with her left hand throughout.  It looks to me like the only contact was their right skates touching, which caused Knight to fall since she was leaning on that skate at the time, but Wickenheiser was on her left skate so she had no problem moving her skate up to continue her normal stride, but it seems to me that once she felt contact she went down to the ice hoping to draw a penalty shot.  The fact that Knight was quickly catching up to her and was going to eliminate the breakaway makes the dive seem more likely.

but just to be clear... a team blow a 2-0 lead with 3 min left in a game but they lost because of the refs making a "questionable call" later in OT... 

One doesn't have to do with the other....

There is no...you blow a 2-goal lead in the final 3 minutes, so you don't deserve to win no matter what happens in OT.

The US still had a PP in OT, which got negated within seconds for a play that happens in the NHL after every goalie save.

• Like 4

but just to be clear... a team blow a 2-0 lead with 3 min left in a game but they lost because of the refs making a "questionable call" later in OT...

I'm sure not one Canadian would bitch if the shoe was on the other foot and the roles were reversed here. Everyone up there would've been cool with it. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Let's see what happens tomorrow in the game that really matters.
  • Like 3

Well first Canada goal was indefensible.  The Canadian did the right thing by throwing it on net, and it deflected off the American defender.  Go easy on me.  I don't remember the players' names.  Can't fault the Americans there.  That was just bad luck.

Then we hit the post on the empty net attempt.

Then our goalie tried to dish the puck off to her teammate only to have to much steam on it, and it goes right to Poulin.  In hindsight, she probably should have just covered the puck.  While we did blow the lead, I'm gonna take the high road and give Canada credit for coming back.

One doesn't have to do with the other....

There is no...you blow a 2-goal lead in the final 3 minutes, so you don't deserve to win no matter what happens in OT.

The US still had a PP in OT, which got negated within seconds for a play that happens in the NHL after every goalie save.

Yea this angers me.  On HF, this is the first Canadian response after an American brings the officiating into question.

I'm sure not one Canadian would bitch if the shoe was on the other foot and the roles were reversed here. Everyone up there would've been cool with it. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Let's see what happens tomorrow in the game that really matters.

I know they would have been crying foul had that empty net goal went in.

I'd actually argue this game meant more. It was the gold medal match and these women don't get to go back to the NHL making seven figures a year. They have to basically live with this until Korea