‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

if parise leaves, i do agree with triumph that a trade rather than UFA is more likely to happen to get a forward in. the devils would deal from strength which would be a defenseman. if i had to guess, it would be andy greene - and this isn't a wish to dump him. i just think a team like edmonton that needs defense and has forwards to spare would make a move like that.

this team's defense is the last thing i'm concerned about. yandle is unnecessary.

Who from Edmonton? Hemsky hasn't been able to stay healthy in years and his game at his best doesn't replace any goal scoring from Parise. I don't think the Oilers want to part with 23-year-old Sam Gagner and certainly not where Andy Greene is the main piece back. Same goes for a younger Paajarvi.

Who from Edmonton? Hemsky hasn't been able to stay healthy in years and his game at his best doesn't replace any goal scoring from Parise. I don't think the Oilers want to part with 23-year-old Sam Gagner and certainly not where Andy Greene is the main piece back. Same goes for a younger Paajarvi.

Gagner is the likely one they'd move. He's been rumored since the deadline and his name has been mentioned a bit in the past few days in the rumor circles. I agree that Greene would not be able to get that deal done. We'd likely have to include one of our better prospects like Gelinas. I think Eberle could be possible too since they just drafted Yakupov, but less so than Gagner.

Undoubtedly they'd trade to pawn Hemsky off though.

Edited by ghdi

They've got Hall, Yakupov, Hemsky, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Gagner. Odd man out - Magnus Paajarvi, especially if they bring back Ryan Smyth. Greene and Urbom for Paajarvi could do it. Edmonton's current D is Schultz, Smid, Petry, Ry. Whitney (who was horribly banged up and awful), Sutton, Barker, blah blah it's a lot of horrible players, and the Oilers don't really have any prospects ready to step into the NHL. The Oilers are in danger of ruining Paajarvi's value - another year like this one, and it'll be really tough for anyone to be that interested.

That's the issue. You crap on him when he is down but never came back to say you might have been wrong. You crap on the board for being spoiled fans who complain too much and are negative, yet you were AWOL the entire playoff run and never pump any tires of anyone on the team.

As for your logic. You want them to pass on Parise to try and get Yandle by trading some other good forwards while we watch Elias decline, Clarkson obviously regress, etc. Doesn't make much sense at all. The Devils simply don't have what it takes to get Yandle anyway.

It was a bad penalty kill. sh!t happens. The Devils were out of gas, and there were a few mistakes. Big deal. That penalty kill is fvcking irrelevant when it comes to any personnel decisions for this team moving forward.

As for offense from the back end. Zidlicky is a gigantic upgrade over a full year. And others have said Larsson has some nice offensive instincts as well. No one is relying on some magic Salvador run, and that's why he is probably gone in just over a week. But those kind of magic runs happen to every team on a Cup run.

Things like this are why I post less. Posters who want to go head to head about posting personalities rather than hockey issues.

1. Has Greene been better - absolutely. He is miles different than AG 2008. I really didn't think he was going to be able to live up to that contract but so far he has. I really didn't think one was contractually obligated to "pump up the tires" of players they have at one time thought were liabilities but apparently this must be somewhere in the fine print here. My original post had nothing to do with Andy Greene but whatever.

2. AWOL in the playoff run? Seriouslly, some folks (not all of you) have no idea what its like to be a fan of another team outside of the area. Not that those of us deserve any kind of award - but for many its a much different sports fan experience. I have a job, your local NJ games start mostly at 7pm for you - sometimes by the time I start watching a game after work its 9pm PST and 1am at its end. I watch every game. After this, I'm often too drained to jump into the GDT and add comment. This playoffs was a worldwind for me. The coinsidence of NJ vs. LA was amazing. I went to every LA game, I saw every Devils LA practice. I moved work commitments to catch the Devils players at the buses. I still haven't processed through the whole experience. You guys get to see the Devils EVERY WEEK - for me its once or twice a year - and I haven't seen a Devils playoff game in almost 10 years. We never get to meet them or have them sign anything - much less talk to them (Staples Center is locked down) .It was really big and also expensive. If I didn't have time at the of the day to come here and "pump some tire" (i.e. "You my boy Henrique!") I'm sorry.

Now, with the personal issues out of the way.

My primary concern is not having a guy that can lead the defense until AL is ready. That's a lot of pressure for him.

With Volch's lessened minutes, and the possible departure of Salvador - who becomes that anchor, that stability?

Edited by DevilinLA
  • Like 1

Things like this are why I post less. Posters who want to go head to head about posting personalities rather than hockey issues.

1. Has Greene been better - absolutely. He is miles different than AG 2008. I really didn't think he was going to be able to live up to that contract but so far he has. I really didn't think one was contractually obligated to "pump up the tires" of players they have at one time thought were liabilities but apparently this must be somewhere in the fine print here. My original post had nothing to do with Andy Greene but whatever.

2. AWOL in the playoff run? Seriouslly, some folks (not all of you) have no idea what its like to be a fan of another team outside of the area. Not that those of us deserve any kind of award - but for many its a much different sports fan experience. I have a job, your local NJ games start mostly at 7pm for you - sometimes by the time I start watching a game after work its 9pm PST and 1am at its end. I watch every game. After this, I'm often too drained to jump into the GDT and add comment. This playoffs was a worldwind for me. The coinsidence of NJ vs. LA was amazing. I went to every LA game, I saw every Devils LA practice. I moved work commitments to catch the Devils players at the buses. I still haven't processed through the whole experience. You guys get to see the Devils EVERY WEEK - for me its once or twice a year - and I haven't seen a Devils playoff game in almost 10 years. We never get to meet them or have them sign anything - much less talk to them (Staples Center is locked down) .It was really big and also expensive. If I didn't have time at the of the day to come here and "pump some tire" (i.e. "You my boy Henrique!") I'm sorry.

Now, with the personal issues out of the way.

My primary concern is not having a guy that can lead the defense until AL is ready. That's a lot of pressure for him.

With Volch's lessened minutes, and the possible departure of Salvador - who becomes that anchor, that stability?

I'm not trying to go head-to-head with you. My last comment on this subject. You are obviously a very dedicated fan. Your track record shows it, and I believe I've pumped your tired sometime ago about how truly dedicated you are. But for all your posts calling other fans out for being spoiled, negative etc, it be nice if you popped in once in a while and were positive. Even if it just means one post in the "Congratulations" thread and such. This place is a little too negative most of the time. Anyway, that's the last of that.

As for your comment about stability and being the anchor. The Devils will continue to do it by committee like you saw in the playoffs. Fayne, Greene, Tallinder, and Zidlicky can all easily handle 20+. I'm not sure why you are so worried about the defense. Yes, it isn't the most offensive, but damn it's a good group.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm not trying to go head-to-head with you. My last comment on this subject. You are obviously a very dedicated fan. Your track record shows it, and I believe I've pumped your tired sometime ago about how truly dedicated you are. But for all your posts calling other fans out for being spoiled, negative etc, it be nice if you popped in once in a while and were positive. Even if it just means one post in the "Congratulations" thread and such. This place is a little too negative most of the time. Anyway, that's the last of that.

As for your comment about stability and being the anchor. The Devils will continue to do it by committee like you saw in the playoffs. Fayne, Greene, Tallinder, and Zidlicky can all easily handle 20+. I'm not sure why you are so worried about the defense. Yes, it isn't the most offensive, but damn it's a good group.

My worry with the defense mainly comes if the the goalie tandem is one year older - and more susceptible to injury.

It would be different if we had a Brodeur/young player combo.

Let's get this back to Parise. The Pitt moves last night change everything. Like I said before, I think Pitt is the front runners for whichever player they chose. It has everything Parise wants, and I imagine it isn't a bad place for Suter either. If you are Zach and get a call from Mario Lemieux saying we'd love for you to play here...well that's something. So is a call from the best player in the world and someone that he has great mutual respect for in Crosby. Who am I kidding. They both prob pick him up in a private jet and convince him somewhere nice.

As for Suter, they can do the same thing with him and he has a close connection with Ray Shero from the Nashville days. So who they going after?

Lou's got to work some magic before July 1st.

Edited by devilsrule33

Parise and Sid are buddies. They were teammates at Shattucks.

I agree that the Pens are a bit of a worry right now. We can only hope Zach saying he really wants to stay is true and Lou gets it done.

They weren't teammates, but they were off-season training partners for a couple of years.

Let's get this back to Parise. The Pitt moves last night change everything. Like I said before, I think Pitt is the front runners for whichever player they chose. It has everything Parise wants, and I imagine it isn't a bad place for Suter either. If you are Zach and get a call from Mario Lemieux saying we'd love for you to play here...well that's something. So is a call from the best player in the world and someone that he has great mutual respect for in Crosby. Who am I kidding. They both prob pick him up in a private jet and convince him somewhere nice.

As for Suter, they can do the same thing with him and he has a close connection with Ray Shero from the Nashville days. So who they going after?

Lou's got to work some magic before July 1st.

It wouldn't be Zach's team. That's all New Jersey has to offer - Brodeur is retiring soon, and while fans love Kovalchuk, he's Russian and he'll turn the puck over blah blah some of our fans still don't like him. Pittsburgh is kind of the ideal market to play in - it's got money, the fans are passionate, but they're not Canada level crazy where they'll interrupt your dinner, and it's not New York with all its attendant issues, and management there is really smart. But it's Crosby's team, and when he's out injured, it's Malkin's team.

Edited by Triumph

Pitt really needs to address their D corps. I think if they don't sign someone like Suter or another good D man they could possibly go for Zach. if Zach goes to Pitt then more power to him. It doesn't exactly mean that Pitt is a lock as a Stanley Cup winner with ZP.

It wouldn't be Zach's team. That's all New Jersey has to offer - Brodeur is retiring soon, and while fans love Kovalchuk, he's Russian and he'll turn the puck over blah blah some of our fans still don't like him. Pittsburgh is kind of the ideal market to play in - it's got money, the fans are passionate, but they're not Canada level crazy where they'll interrupt your dinner, and it's not New York with all its attendant issues, and management there is really smart. But it's Crosby's team, and when he's out injured, it's Malkin's team.

That's true. It will never be his team, but that's not something we're going to know if Zach cares about. But here is the thing: What does it mean to be Zach's team mean in NJ with Lou Lam running the show besides having the captaincy. If somehow, they get back to the Finals and win, he'll get more credit and press, but I'm not sure that matters all that much. If Pitt wins with Parise, he's going to be a gigantic part just playing with Crosby or Malkin. Just thinking of Crosby and Parise on the same line is making me go nuts. That be something.

Once again. It all comes down to who Pittsburgh wants, and if Lou can try to get to Parise before July 1st. But if I am Zach, how can I not wait to hear what Pittsburgh offers. It's too good to pass up even listening. And you know if it gets to July 1st, Pittsburgh can put together some giant dog and pony show that Lou would never do for any individual.

Edited by devilsrule33

Not to mention it's kind of hypocrtical to say Zach should only care about winning when the choice is between NJ and Minnesota, but then pretend like it doesn't exist when choosing between NJ and a Pittsburgh team that's recently won a Cup with a healthy Crosby. If anything it would be taking the easy way out for Zach to go there to piggyback onto Crosby/Malkin to win a title or three but it would be a better option to win, despite playoff results this year.

The only real question about Pittsburgh is what happens if Crosby takes one more whack?

Edited by NJDevs4978

That's true. It will never be his team, but that's not something we're going to know if Zach cares about. But here is the thing: What does it mean to be Zach's team mean in NJ with Lou Lam running the show besides having the captaincy. If somehow, they get back to the Finals and win, he'll get more credit and press, but I'm not sure that matters all that much. If Pitt wins with Parise, he's going to be a gigantic part just playing with Parise or Malkin. Just thinking of Crosby and Parise on the same line is making me go nuts. That be something.

Once again. It all comes down to who Pittsburgh wants, and if Lou can try to get to Parise before July 1st. But if I am Zach, how can I not wait to hear what Pittsburgh offers. It's too good to pass up even listening. And you know if it gets to July 1st, Pittsburgh can put together some giant dog and pony show that Lou would never do for any individual.

Zach was always going to July 1. I'll be totally floored if he doesn't. He said he would back in July 2011. I actually think Lou doesn't mind going to July 1 with guys, we've seen this too often to believe otherwise at this point. It's deliberate.

Pittsburgh can offer him all that stuff, they can also theoretically offer him the chance to play with Suter. They probably can't offer him significantly more money than NJ, though, unless they don't get Suter.

Parise and Sid are buddies. They were teammates at Shattucks.

I agree that the Pens are a bit of a worry right now. We can only hope Zach saying he really wants to stay is true and Lou gets it done.

Not to mention supposedly Crosby was sitting with the Parise family during the Finals. All these teams' obvious tampering is really chapping my a** this offseason.

Not to mention supposedly Crosby was sitting with the Parise family during the Finals. All these teams' obvious tampering is really chapping my a** this offseason.

I don't know about tampering. Zach's Dad ran the show at Shattuck-St Mary's and might have been Sid's coach there. That just reinforces the connection between the two players, but I doubt at the time Crosby thought anything about playing with Zach at the time. After all, Shero offered Staal a 10-year $60 million contract this past week.

I don't know about tampering. Zach's Dad ran the show at Shattuck-St Mary's and might have been Sid's coach there. That just reinforces the connection between the two players, but I doubt at the time Crosby thought anything about playing with Zach at the time. After all, Shero offered Staal a 10-year $60 million contract this past week.

Yea, I doubt this is a Lebron-Wade-Bosh situation with pre-planning. The Pens perhaps being interested is a new development because of the moves they've made. Its unquestionable they are pals though. We can only wait and see. If thats where Zach goes, then he goes to the sh!t list. He can be the main guy here or third fiddle there.

I agree that Suter is likely Shero's first target though. We can only hope whats been said from Lou/Zach is truth and it gets done.

That's true. It will never be his team, but that's not something we're going to know if Zach cares about. But here is the thing: What does it mean to be Zach's team mean in NJ with Lou Lam running the show besides having the captaincy. If somehow, they get back to the Finals and win, he'll get more credit and press, but I'm not sure that matters all that much. If Pitt wins with Parise, he's going to be a gigantic part just playing with Crosby or Malkin. Just thinking of Crosby and Parise on the same line is making me go nuts. That be something.

It's kind of like the lebron James situation. Winning with a bunch of superstars you just signed with means less, from a league/fan reputation standpoint, than winning with your team that you have led from day 1. This is what NJ offers Parise.

Zach is a priority apparently. Could have approached him in january... Instead Lou did it 6 days before july 1st when theres a lot of interesting potential landing spot for him just waiting. Way to go Lou

Now some folks here will tell me that Lou couldnt sign him at first because he was coming back from injury... He later said it had nothing to do with it

Then some will say he couldnt sign him during the season because of the ownership situation. Again lou said not too long ago that the ownership situation doesnt change anything in what hes doing in term of signing players.

Last year Lou "ran out of time with negociations" he admitted it, and we all know Lou he would not have approach him during the season anyway... Cause Lou is Lou... I have a VERY bad feeling his patience is gonna bite his ass real bad this time.

Then some will just say... If zach really want to be here he will... Oh well jesus why take the fvcking chance to gamble? Why wait to put ourselve in a position where we could lose him at all? Like seriously... Why take the risk?

You do realize how much money it would take for him to give up his UFA, right? It's not really as simple as you want to make it out to be.

This is going to be a Rolston type FA and he's going to go for alot of money, alot of years, alot of overvalue. If they do keep him, which I think is pretty unlikely for multiple reasons, it's going to be for a brutal deal. Depending on the length of his deal, this could be the last contract he signs in his career, at least the last significant one. He's not going to go "well golly gee, Lou, your 10 year 60-65M deal is awesome, I don't want to be a free agent anymore!"

Zach is a priority apparently. Could have approached him in january... Instead Lou did it 6 days before july 1st when theres a lot of interesting potential landing spot for him just waiting. Way to go Lou

Lou doesn't negotiate during the season. Zach himself has admitted many times that even though he loves NJ, he wouldn't mind seeing what's out there. He said this in his Q&A with TG last year.

Now some folks here will tell me that Lou couldnt sign him at first because he was coming back from injury... He later said it had nothing to do with it

Then some will say he couldnt sign him during the season because of the ownership situation. Again lou said not too long ago that the ownership situation doesnt change anything in what hes doing in term of signing players.

Lou is lying, which if you'll notice, he does that a lot. You'll notice that the real quote came last year around this time from Wade Arnott, and I have pointed out this quote many times and you seem to have ignored it or forgotten it every time. Wade Arnott said Lou would get back to him about a long-term deal when the ownership situation was more stable. Guess what? It's still not stable. This most recent development looks the most promising of anything that's happened so far. But Vanderbeek really can't throw a huge deal out there.

Last year Lou "ran out of time with negociations" he admitted it, and we all know Lou he would not have approach him during the season anyway... Cause Lou is Lou... I have a VERY bad feeling his patience is gonna bite his ass real bad this time.

Then some will just say... If zach really want to be here he will... Oh well jesus why take the fvcking chance to gamble? Why wait to put ourselve in a position where we could lose him at all? Like seriously... Why take the risk?

I don't know why you assume that all of this is on Lou. If you take everything said in the media at face value, which apparently you do since you believe that Lou is free to do as he pleases with the hockey side of things, you also have to believe Zach when he says that he'd still like to see what's out there. Again, I think given the number of UFAs the Devils have signed both right before the July 1 deadline as well as right after, that this is a deliberate strategy, and it dates back many years. We know Lou made an offer to Bobby Holik, but the Rangers topped it. We know Alex Mogilny called Lou after he got his offer from the Maple Leafs, and Lou wished him good luck. We know Patrik Elias made it to July 1 and was then re-signed by New Jersey to a 7 year deal. We know Jamie Langenbrunner, Bryce Salvador, Johnny Oduya, and Jay Pandolfo signed just before free agency opened. We know Andy Greene was out on the market for a few hours, but he returned to New Jersey. It's happened so often that it's clearly a deliberate thing - perhaps Lou feels he owes it to the player, if he so chooses, to entertain the possibility of playing somewhere else. A free agent has free choice, let him consider all his options and then choose New Jersey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.