119 replies to this topic

#81 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:56 AM

I didn't believe this when i read it today...RIP Burnsie..class act..the hockey world is saddened
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#82 Dev.iL87

Dev.iL87

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:45 AM

its terrible news :(

R.I.P. Pat

Thanks for the memories...I will never forget 2003

believe-ll.jpg

#83 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

A great coach wherever he went and, from what they say, a great human being. Everybody knew it was going to happen soon, but I was still saddened when I learnt about it today. A big loss for the whole hockey world.

Rest in Peace, Pat. You're a Champion forever!

#84 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

Sorry that he's gone. But yet, also proud to have had him touch our lives in some small way.

#85 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

A great coach, a nice man and a strong person. May you rest in peace. Condolences to your family

God Bless you Pat Burns

#86 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:54 AM

RIP Coach Burns.

You brought passion for winning, love of the sport, respect for the game and class to the organization. You ARE a winner and we were damn lucky to have you, even if a short while.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#87 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

RIP Coach. Thanks for 2003, never going to forget that year

#88 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:10 PM

Larry with some words:

http://www.ottawasun...9/16232586.html

The HHOF selection committee should be ashamed of themselves.

#89 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

RIP Coach Burns.

#90 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

R.I.P one of the best coache,s in hockey.

You will always be respected by us devils fans.

Devs3cups

Edited by Devs3cups, 20 November 2010 - 12:33 PM.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#91 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

Just wanted to add my condolences for his family and friends. May God grant him life eternal.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#92 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

I heard the news last night during the BUF - LA game.

Rest in Peace Pat.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#93 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

#94 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Simply put, Pat Burns was a great coach who got the most out of his teams. Amazing to think he became the only coach to win three Adams with three different teams (Mtl, Tor, Bos). Especially thanks to the urging of Wayne Gretzky.

From former cop to tough cop behind the bench, taking the Habs to the Finals his first year and guiding the Leafs to consecutive Conference Finals. I rooted for Toronto in '93. Too bad for him Gretzky was on the other side outdueling Gilmour in one of the epic Game 7's which is still replayed. How different would it have been had the Leafs won that year? Imagine a Montreal-Toronto Final. The last time it was a possibility. As fate would have it, the classic Original Sixes meet tonight with heavy hearts on Hockey Night In Canada, paying tribute to a great man who had a kick ass personality off the ice.

Over 500 victories including the elusive Cup he won with the Devils, squeezing every ounce out of the '02-03 team that most didn't think would beat Ottawa. The speech he made about Nieuwendyk turned Game Seven around. Reinserting Ken Daneyko for Game Seven versus the Ducks inspired the Devs to their third Cup. They had unlikely heroes such as Marshall to Friesen and Mike Rupp. All a credit to the kind of demanding and instinctive coach Pat was. He knew what buttons to push.

Then, the fight of his life and a man so tough fought to the very end, beating the deadly disease twice. It's extremely sad that he's gone but he's no longer suffering and shall always be remembered. Yes, he deserves to be in the Hockey Hall. A shame they didn't induct him this year. But he will make it and be properly honored. His family will get to see it and somewhere up above smiling and shining down, so will the fiery guy with the winning spirit.

RIP Pat Burns :(

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#95 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

You know what's crazy? In reading up on him today, I learned that he DEFEATED colon cancer, and lung cancer. Unfortunately he obviously was re-diagnosed with terminal lung cancer again...but my god, what a fighter.

And I'll always remember his quote earlier this year in September. What an awesome man.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 20 November 2010 - 05:59 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#96 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341947

The videos down the right some of the screen are great. Gomez tells an awesome story in one of them about Burnsie "Wah"ing him. Good stuff.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#97 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:12 PM

In case anyone wanted to see the tribute, it's about to come on at Molson Centre.

Here's a link:

http://channelsurfin...atch-nhl-4.html

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#98 Sickman

Sickman

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:13 PM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341947

The videos down the right some of the screen are great. Gomez tells an awesome story in one of them about Burnsie "Wah"ing him. Good stuff.

Yeah, there were some nice videos on that link. Good looks.

It's been hard not to feel sad about his loss but at the same time it's hard not to smile when you see him in some of these clips and hear the stories like the one Gomez had to offer. This man was one tough s.o.b. and he truly is a hockey legend.
New Jersey Devils - Three Time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003

" 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1!! And the oldest trophy competed for in North America, LORD STANLEY'S CUP, has made it's way through the Lincoln Tunnel! To the Meadowlands! To the Garden State! THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS ARE THE 1995 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!" Mike Miller, June 24th, 1995

" I have for some time been thinking that it would be a good thing if there were a challenge cup which should be held from year to year by the champion hockey team in the dominion" Frederick Arthur, Lord Stanley of Preston

#99 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

I just watched it on NHL Network's broadcast of the Maple Leafs-Canadiens game.

Simply beautiful.

Edited by 95Crash, 20 November 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#100 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

RIP Pat. Just an unbelievable person and coach. I remember during the 2003 Devils-Sens series, meeting him along with friends and everyone being blown away how nice and accommondating he was. I guess everyone new his personality as a coach and expected him to be rough around the edges with fans.

Pat Burns the coach was simply one of the all-time greats. Maybe he wore out his welcome in a few places, but he had some incredible turnarounds. Look at these numbers.

3 Jack Adams trophies with 3 different teams in the 1st year with each team.

First year with the Habs: Team finishes with 115 points and goes to the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Leafs: Takes over a team with 67 points the year before and leads them one game short of the Stanley Cup Finals

First year with the Bruins: Takes over the worst team in the league (drafted Joe Thornton 1st overall) and the Bruins make the playoffs and with Joe Thornton being a complete non-factor that season.

First year with the Devils: Takes over a team that lost in the first round the year before and the Devils win the Cup that season including a 7-game series win against a superior Sens team.

That 2003 team had no business winning the Cup, but Pat Burns more than anyone else made sure of it.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users