2013 NJDevs Fantasy Hockey

redruM

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That extra two points with the late Vrbata shorthanded goal made the math a lot harder.  Best I can figure it, I can pick up 2 points with a 'good' goalie performance (win, 1 GAA with 22+ saves), 2.5 with a shutout and 3.5 with an off-the-charts shutout (like 38+ saves).

Offensively even if I got a fairly decent performance from Michalek (goal, assist, one PPP) I'd only get a 1.5 point bump and like I said I'd lose at the other end - the most goalie points I could get in that scenario is 1 for the win.  I don't think Paille gives me those numbers and Wiercoch's been a scratch since Karlsson came back plus I'd have the same issue with him as Michalek.  

I think my best bet is just to go after you with potentially two swing points up for grabs in blocks and start Methot.  Then I could tie you overall if I passed you in Blocks/SvPct with another goalie win, and it's possible you lose half a point in a couple categories depending on how other team's players do.

EDIT: I initially forgot to account for you losing a point in save percentage if I passed you there, so I could pick up 3 points with a good goalie performance (win, 1 Goal allowed with 22+ saves) with gaining a point in wins/save pct each and you losing a point in save pct, 3.5 with a shutout tacked on and 4.5 with the off-the-charts shutout (38+ saves).  Makes the overall math a 'little' more realistic.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Gameplan for the last two periods: Boston comes back to win with no more goals allowed (Rask getting 14 or so saves in the process), Methot gets one more block and Marchand gets a +1 to take away .5 from ayl in +/-.  Still doable, but another goal allowed pretty much ends it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And it's done...congrats on two in a row aylbert, a terrific accomplishment in a league as competitive as this.  I'm glad this league remained active throughout the year with 12 of the 19 teams making double digit moves and only a handful or less being truly dead rosters.

I'll take my silver medal with no regrets (especially after my lost season last year), we both had our chances to win this thing, you were just a little better in the end.

No it wasn't that smart haha, at least five or six teams blew up their game limits early, which was part of the reason for my late surge.  But that'll happen (no matter how many times I remind everyone) considering there was a lot of new blood.

And btw considering you got autodrafted a possible Hart winner (Tavares) and Vezina winner (Bobrovsky), that's a pretty good foundation autodraft or manual draft :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

And it's done...congrats on two in a row aylbert, a terrific accomplishment in a league as competitive as this.  I'm glad this league remained active throughout the year with 12 of the 19 teams making double digit moves and only a handful or less being truly dead rosters.

I'll take my silver medal with no regrets (especially after my lost season last year), we both had our chances to win this thing, you were just a little better in the end.

Thank you very much!

Two years ago you held me to second after a furious late charge...  it's fitting this year I return the favor.   You made this week very uncomfortable and tonight quite stressful for a fantasy GM.

Most thought I was dumb for forfeiting the 1st overall pick; but obviously I'm quite happy with it.

As far as autodrafting; I don't think that matters as much...  it's more about managing your roster throughout the season; especially since its not a H2H league.

And to add to the point.  OnDeck; you were one of the ones with sub 10 moves...  (but a completed roster play).

Only VooDoo is in a position where they were a bottom feeder with excessive games left.

Ideally Id want to see 20 teams all actively managing their teams throughout the year...   moves or not.

You second-guessed yourself too on dropping back one or two spots too far lol.  But at least you made the right choice at 5 with Lundqvist, if you'd waited till the second round to get a goalie, the next three goalies off the board after your second-round pick were Ward, Marty and Lehtonen rofl.

And to add to the point.  OnDeck; you were one of the ones with sub 10 moves...  (but a completed roster play).

Only VooDoo is in a position where they were a bottom feeder with excessive games left.

Ideally Id want to see 20 teams all actively managing their teams throughout the year...   moves or not.

Well of the seven teams that came up short in games played, two (DM and NICKNJD) were slightly misleading, since all their missed games came at D.  I'm guessing they just didn't really care about playing dreck there, but my suggestion for that is pick up +/- or Hits/Blocks guys to fill out the ranks if you have injuries there, since you aren't getting point production on the wire for the most part.  And StormJosh really wasn't 'that' far off at every position except at goalie, and it's tough for most teams to make up games there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You second-guessed yourself too on dropping back one or two spots too far lol.  But at least you made the right choice at 5 with Lundqvist, if you'd waited till the second round to get a goalie, the next three goalies off the board after your second-round pick were Ward, Marty and Lehtonen rofl.

My intention was to either draft Crosby or Lundqvist in the 1st.     I was really hoping to snag Crosby.   It was a gamble; I thought 3/4 was going to be Giroux and Ovi; with Crosby being a gift at 5...     My regret about picking 5th was when we dropped from 20 to 19...  I was thinking I should pick 4   (considering the even round back swings).   In the case; I would have had Crosby at 4... and who knows.

I was aiming for both Toews and Kane; and got them both; got very lucky snagging Kane (Even though I traded him).   I was counting on more production from Burns, and he was injured too long. 

Looking at the draft and knowing me.   After the big run on goalies in the 1st and 2nd; I draft the value on the talent that was skipped by the G run.   Taking Toews and Kane in the 2/3; and aim for  Holtby/Crawford/Anderson at the end of the 4th.     Likely I'd take Crawford, trusting the team.

Next year I might go three and picking Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos...     Let someone else grab Ovi at 4th :P

o yea no worries, i still managed my team and set lineups every week.  i didn't make as many moves because i was honestly just better off not

My biggest mistake was not snagging a goalie earlier,  caused me headaches trying to move between Fluery & Nab.  And I did not do a very good job of it, but still managed 7th,

Agreed.   Trying to play matchup for goalies is a headache.   Lundqvist is known to start slow and finish strong.    I knew this; but it was still painful early on watching the mid round goalies out perform him.

Ultimately, he finished alright in the standings.  His lack of shutouts this year hurt me...  but the last one he snagged against us on Saturday really helped out.     Of the four goalies taken in the first round, I'd obviously rather have Rask... but ultimately I don't think I could have made a better 5 pick without the benefit of hindsight.  

My other reasonable options:  I didn't want to double down on Quick - who was phenomenal for me last year.  I also wanted no part of the greatest player in the world (of the 1st round 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs).   I didn't really hate DSedin; but I'd rather have Lundqvist...   good call.

Next year; I'm pretty much set in snagging Stamkos...    But we'll see how I feel then obviously...  I hate back to back picks; or near back to back.  

I suck at micromanaging apparently. I also had some ridiculous Long term injuries this year. I should have focused on the other stats I suppose (hits +-) etc.

Congrats again Ayl

Thankie.

Injuries can derail any team; fantasy or not  (see Devils).

I don't think the issue is micromanaging.   It's more keeping a healthy, well balanced team and making changes where you can to improve.     I had 20+ moves; but most of my roster stayed the same.  (ie I picked up and dropped players looking for talent - like Jiri Tlusty)