GDT: ECF Game 5 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

Now that the Devils are up 3-2 in the Eastern Conference finals, I'm having a flashback of epic proportions. My love, my true love, for the Devils really started on that fateful Game 7 battle with the N.Y. Rangers in 1994. I wasn't even a huge hockey fan back then but I was so enamored with the fact that the Devils openly acknowledged that they were from Jersey (unlike the Jets and the Giants). In short, I was fiercely proud of N.J. and took a shine to the Devils because they were New Jersey through and through. Long story short, the day of the infamous Game 7 battle with the Rangers, my girlfriend had scored us two tickets to an Elvis Costello concert (one of my all-time favorite musicians) at a local Minneapolis college venue. She was great and I appreciated the tickets ... but the venue didn't allow booze. So, being the quality 24-year-old that I was, I went to get booze. Eventually, I found my way to a bar in an effort to bring back liquor to the show, but as I was purchasing my merchandise (which were two awesomely lame bottles of root beer schnapps) I looked up at the TVs in the bar and saw that the Devils were behind with time running out in the third. So, naturally, I had to watch until the bitter end. And then ... the Devils scored with seconds on the clock. Now I was hooked. I ordered a few beers and kept watching ... all the while while my girlfriend was at the show. I made it through the commercial time and the entire first overtime. I then realized I'd better get back. So I jumped in my car, raced back to the venue with the root beer schnapps and parked the car. Now, I'm totally figuring out that I've basically left my girlfriend at a concert - a concert that she bought tickets for solely for my benefit - for the better part of 2 hours. And as I'm running back to the concert, one of the two root beer schnapps bottles I bought at the bar flies out of my pocket and shatters on the street. I finally get back to the show, sans one bottle, and the look on my girlfriend's face would have frozen Heat Miser from the Year Without a Santa Claus. For the most part, I also missed the entire concert, my favorite entertainer almost ever, sans the last three songs. Twenty minutes later, back in the car ride home, she breaks up with me (which was totally justified) and as she's exiting my car I hear on the radio that the Devils lost in double OT. And it was at that point when I realized I cared more about the Devils’ loss that night than my girlfriend breaking up with me … and that's when I knew I was a fan for life.

In sum, I want revenge for 1994 - and for making that Game 7 experience one of the worse nights of my 20-something life.

'''

Edited by mort4345

I disagree. I don't see anything wrong with being emotional with all the stress of watching and saying angry things as long as they are not mean and too negative.

its bogus, certain posters had written this team off. the game was tied and people were literally talking about how the rangers had won the series, bunch of no-faith whiny spoiled little brats, and we talk about the rags woodwork crawling with fair-weather fans?

I disagree. I don't see anything wrong with being emotional with all the stress of watching and saying angry things as long as they are not mean and too negative.

As a new member, I certainly shy away from the board a bit because of the constant can't do attitude.

Our team is 1 game away from reaching the fvcking stanley cup finals. That is SO huge, this is such an exciting time to be a fan.

But it seems day in and day out on this board its nothing but "we suck" "well never do X Y or Z" "the game/series is over were down by a goal"

Clearly were doing something right being one victory away from the SCF. If you were to look at the mood of this board from the outside, it would seem as if the team finished in 30th place so many years in a row that they were being moved to Nebraska to pay in the ECHL.

And yes, its stressful so posts will be emotional but theres a difference between that and saying the season is over because were tied 3-3 in a series thats tied 2-2

As a new member, I certainly shy away from the board a bit because of the constant can't do attitude.

Our team is 1 game away from reaching the fvcking stanley cup finals. That is SO huge, this is such an exciting time to be a fan.

But it seems day in and day out on this board its nothing but "we suck" "well never do X Y or Z" "the game/series is over were down by a goal"

Clearly were doing something right being one victory away from the SCF. If you were to look at the mood of this board from the outside, it would seem as if the team finished in 30th place so many years in a row that they were being moved to Nebraska to pay in the ECHL.

And yes, its stressful so posts will be emotional but theres a difference between that and saying the season is over because were tied 3-3 in a series thats tied 2-2

Welcome to NJDevs. I've learned that you just have to scroll through that garbage. It's not even worth stressing yourself out arguing with those sky-is-always-falling fans, just ignore them.

does anyone think marty has a pep talk before the game? I hope to god him and elias do.

I just need them two to bring their A game Friday. Brodeur has something to prove.

Actually the whole team has something to prove Friday because this was their worst game of the series. I foresee a very hungry locker room.

Edited by Zubie#8

I just need them two to bring their A game Friday. Brodeur has something to prove.

Actually the whole team has something to prove Friday because this was their worst game of the series. I foresee a very hungry locker room.

Going to be an incredible game 6.

Rangers obviously will be bitter and hungry also, hope we can match that intensity

Henrik Lundqvist's career numbers vs. the Devils ...

Regular Season:

41 GP, 25-11-5, 1.79 GAA, .936 Sv%, 6 SO

Playoffs:

13 GP, 6-7, 2.54 GAA, .901 Sv%, 2 SO

The man is human in the postseason. We can do this.

CLOSE IT OUT, BOYS!!!

Those numbers are pretty skewered by the 2006 series...his numbers were dreadful that series (0-3, 4.40 GAA, .835 save%), and the Rangers were free-falling.

But the Devils have put 7 pucks past him in the last two games...I don't care how they've done it, the fact is they've done it. They need to do it one last time (put 3+ past Lundqvist), because I don't think they can hold the Rangers to less than two goals, unless they really limit the Rangers' scoring opportunities. I wish I could say I believe Marty can make a 1-0 or 2-1 lead stand up, but I don't at this point...maybe he'll surprise, and that's not implying that I think Marty sucks (far from it), but even with pretty good playoff numbers (.921 save%), I think it's simply asking too much of Marty to ask him to steal a win or carry the team. The skaters will have to make this happen.

BTW I think Matteau#32 still has the Rangers winning in six.

Heh...

For the record, in his own words:

Oh well. A goal that doesn't get through 95% of the time, a terrible play by Del Zotto and then the Rangers D letting Parise whack away at rebounds. As if they were just waiting for their turn to get the puck. Like I said on Wednesday, I expected a split in NJ (although did want last night's game). Rangers win the next 2 and move onto the finals. Queue Triumph with some Fenwick and Corsi numbers and an explanation about why the Rangers won't win 2 in a row.

Quite the strong wording, too. No, "I predict that..." or "I think that..."

Very confident, this guy.

Very wrong, this guy.

Heh...

For the record, in his own words:

Quite the strong wording, too. No, "I predict that..." or "I think that..."

Very confident, this guy.

Very wrong, this guy.

To his credit, he did come onto his biggest rival's website and made a bold prediction, and didn't back off it. (Doesn't mean he shouldn't take some ribbing for it though, especially here.) He does come off as a bit antagonistic, and like I've said, it ain't my thing to go onto other teams' fansites to start to stirring the pot.

But he can't now run away and hide after last night's loss. He'll come off as a troll and a clown if he does (and it's still early...I'd be surprised if he didn't come back today).

And just like fans overreact when their team is up or down 2-1 in any given series, they do the same when they're up or down 3-2...this thing is far from over.

Those numbers are pretty skewered by the 2006 series...his numbers were dreadful that series (0-3, 4.40 GAA, .835 save%), and the Rangers were free-falling.

But the Devils have put 7 pucks past him in the last two games...I don't care how they've done it, the fact is they've done it. They need to do it one last time (put 3+ past Lundqvist), because I don't think they can hold the Rangers to less than two goals, unless they really limit the Rangers' scoring opportunities. I wish I could say I believe Marty can make a 1-0 or 2-1 lead stand up, but I don't at this point...maybe he'll surprise, and that's not implying that I think Marty sucks (far from it), but even with pretty good playoff numbers (.921 save%), I think it's simply asking too much of Marty to ask him to steal a win or carry the team. The skaters will have to make this happen.

Not to mention his migranes or whatever he supposedly had at the end of '06. But even in '08 when we were bullied by the Rangers we had started to solve Lundqvist in the last three games, but it didn't matter cause Marty blew up. If we do finish this off, at least it'll end the Lundqvist owns us talk once and for all though.