More fan-on-fan violence

Z-Man

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7426297/video-shows-philadelphia-flyers-fans-attacking-new-york-rangers-fans

The Philadelphia police department has released a surveillance video of a brutal attack following Monday's Winter Classic game in an effort to identify the three suspects involved in the beating of two men wearing New York Rangers jerseys outside a South Philadelphia cheesesteak shack.

The suspects were wearing Philadelphia Flyers jerseys. Cops say they attacked two men wearing Rangers jerseys at the Geno's Steaks on South 9th Street in South Philly at about 7:15 p.m. on January 2, 2012.

Police say that tempers flared when a group of Flyers fans bribed a guy washing car windows near the famous cheesesteak shop to squirt water on some Rangers fans.

Myfoxny

They also say that the victim wasnt just an officer but served two tours in Iraq as a marine and has earned the purple heart after being wounded.

They have a video of it on there. Heartless scumbags.

Let's not bash Philly here (no pun intended), this happens across the country.

I'd much prefer people smoked a joint during the games instead of drinking alcohol, anyone agree?

I couldn't possibly agree more. Weed should be legal anyway, but you'd see a lot less violence at sporting events if everyone toked instead of drank.

There's no debate to be had- facts are facts. Alcohol causes people to act like violent douchebags. Pot doesn't. End of story/debate/argument or whatever you wanna call it.

The most erroneous, generalized statement ever. That may be the case for you, but not for me and many others.

• Like 2

One person can enjoy a beer without everoyne around them having to have a drink.

Sit next to someone smoking a joint and you have to share all the crap they are breathing in as well and smelling like warm garden waste.

Also pot effects people in many different ways, as does alcohol, i have been smashed off my face many times and never been involved in any violence.

• Like 1

The most erroneous, generalized statement ever. That may be the case for you, but not for me and many others.

Pot doesn't cause one to act violent. That is a fact. It causes you to be paranoid. It causes you to be hungry. It causes you to be tired. But I GUARANTEE that if you let weed take the place of alcohol at sporting events, violence at those events would drop. You'd have a bunch of hungry, paranoid, sleepy fans, but there wouldn't be fights and innocent fans being attacked like this nearly as much, if at all. It would definitely help concession sales too. :P

Edited by MadDog2020

This happens everywhere. I was at the game in Boston this November and on the way out briefly watched 3 guys beat up a single Devils fan after each side had an alcohol fueled debated who's team "sucked" more. Security broke it up, but they definely did some damange before security could get there. Everyone looked to be college-aged involved.

Philly's reputation is justfied. I've gone to enough events there to justify my opinion. But it is also a narrative media feeds to you just like certain narratives attached to this team (fair or unfair.)

Edited by mxm262

One person can enjoy a beer without everoyne around them having to have a drink.

Sit next to someone smoking a joint and you have to share all the crap they are breathing in as well and smelling like warm garden waste.

Also pot effects people in many different ways, as does alcohol, i have been smashed off my face many times and never been involved in any violence.

Totally agree. I don't care if people smoke pot or not, just do not do it near me. The smell is revolting and I do not want the smell on my clothes or in my hair.

Pot is just as bad as alcohol, but at least I do not have to injest a portion of the alcohol itself or its by-products.

This is only getting the attention because the guy was a cop. Otherwise it would just be oh someone got beat up. Similar to the girl with the brain damage at the sharks game. And him being a cop, didn't handle the situation properly at all either.

How should he have handled the situation when he was on the ground and 3 Flyers fans are pounding him?

This is only getting the attention because the guy was a cop. Otherwise it would just be oh someone got beat up. Similar to the girl with the brain damage at the sharks game. And him being a cop, didn't handle the situation properly at all either.

Its a typical camera phone clip. You dont know what was said or what happened prior to the punches being thrown. While I do think he should have held his composure better, on the other hand the one flyers individual seemed to start to get in the face of the other Rangers fan and then the victim jumped in, thus getting thrown to the pavement and hit with a barrage of punches and kicks. But again, you dont know what happened first.

Philthy is an overrated, garbage of a hole on the map. Their fans are inbreds and their cases of violence always involve them fighting cowardly - 3 on 2 in this situation. If youre gonna fight, at least man up and do it one on one.

Edited by devlman

Philly fans are animals, and it does happen there more than anywhere else, but I've seen our fans get stupid when they're drunk. There has to be a better way to limit alcohol consumption. I'm not for banning it -- I've had a bunch of beers at games over the years, but there's a difference between enjoying a drink and getting smashed, and when you're smashed at a sporting event, especially a close game, you get stupid.