French and German papers run Danish Islam cartoons ... Muslims pissed.

MaddDog

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:noclue:

Perhaps if "the Muslim world" was a little more vocal in denouncing terrorists who supposedly act in the name of Islam, the rest of the world wouldn't be so quick to assume that Muslims as a whole condone such behavior.

Rowdy, that's what I've been saying all along. There's a deafening silence from much of the Muslim world when innocent civilians get beheaded or murdered, yet a cartoon evokes this sort of outrage??

I did not say that I personally approved of the Muhammad cartoons. However, they were published in NON-MUSLIM countries and the laws permit it. Europe is comprised of Western DEMOCRACIES and they are NOT Islamic theocracies. So, I fail to see why they should adhere to Sharia law or the rules and social norms of Arab nations. No one is coercing the Muslims or Muslim immigrants to stay there if they don't like it; they are free to emigrate back to their native home lands or relocate to another country if they choose.

As for Muhammad depictions being a violation of Islam, I found this web site that claims Muhmmad HAS been depicted in Islamic artwork countless times. If this is the case, why are they so offended? Is it because "infidels" drew him?? :blink: Site is below:

Muhammad in art

I don't understand why some of you are so upset over this yet do NOT really address my point that anti-Jewish and anti-Western cartoons are a REGULAR occurrence in the Middle East and North Africa. Where on earth is the moral outrage from those Muslim countries when it comes to Jews being depicted as rats and bloodthirsty murderers?? :noclue:

Check these cartoons out in the link below and tell me they are NOT extremely anti-Semitic and anti-American:

Arab Cartoons

They were published in Palestinian papers along with newspapers in Jordan, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Egypt. Yeah, those are cartoons depicting bunnies hopping over rainbows, huh?? :lol: If Muslim citizens were truly against these cartoons, I'd imagine they'd bombard the papers with complaints and the cartoons would not be so abundant. The fact that they recurrently get published makes me wonder if many Muslims condone the content.

Frankly, I don't care if they want to boycott Danish goods. I do think it's getting out of control when countries CLOSE their friggin embassies over this, or when gunmen in Gaza burst into the EU office and threaten people's lives.. or tell all Danes and Swedes-Norwegians to leave Gaza or they will be KILLED. Such tolerance and what a completely irrational response that is out of proportion to the situation! :blink:

Someone should remind them that these European nations are NOT Muslim and therefore are NOT required to abide by Islamic laws. I recall reading how Muslims want the Danish government to bring criminal charges against this independently owned newspaper for the Muhammad cartoons. WHY should they?? It's not a criminal offense in DENMARK!! I don't see Muslim nations completely changing their laws to permit all the freedoms of Western culture in order to make Europeans and Americans happy, do you? I was under the impression that you can't even display a cross in Saudi Arabia and it is prohibited by law to bring a BIBLE (!!) into the country.

I never even felt that Muslims shouldn't be offended or upset by these cartoons. I just wonder where this outrage and anger is when it comes to slandering or slaughtering the "infidels" and 'Zionists". When the shoe is on the other foot, they don't like it so much. I also don't appreciate the Muslims that are attempting to IMPOSE their Islamic laws onto NON-Muslim countries. If that makes me "racist", Don, then so be it. Using that definition, Muslim nations seem more racist than Western cultures since they often force others to totally conform to Islamic law.

The Muslims aren't on display - they're people. By saying such a thing, you've already assumed a great deal - 1. that Muslims in general care what you think about them (they shouldn't) and 2. that Muslims should care so much about the perception of them that major leaders should come out and denounce terrorism every time.

If they denounce terrorism, they'd be called liars - if they don't, they're complicit. Well, as long as they're guilty either way.

I think brylin18 put it very well in this thread. By and large, the majority of people want the same things.

The problem is that the vast majority of Muslims around the world don't seem to say anything against terrorism, even if they privately disagree with it. Their silence is deafening. So the assumption is that they support terrorist activity, OR they don't and are afraid to say anything for fear of their head being chopped off. If they continue to remain silent, the rest of the (non-Muslim) world will get the impression that Muslims don't see anything wrong with terrorist scum. Look at how many people in the U.S. and other Western countries are bitching about Bush, Iraq war, Guatanamo, etc. and compare that to the number of Muslims protesting decapitations and homicide bombings.

Btw, Muslims SHOULD care about how other people perceive them. Islam is NOT perceived in a positive light in much of the world, and it's because sociopathic extremist murderers have hijacked their religion.

Edited by MaddDog

the latest news... gunmen threatening to kidnap Westerners over friggin CARTOONS or Muslims chanting "DEATH TO (Western country)" or sending death threats? Nawwwww, no irrational hatred here. Where are the protests in those countries when the kidnapped foreigners get excecuted?

Rage at Drawings Spreads in Muslim World

Rage at Drawings Spreads in Muslim World By IBRAHIM BARZAK, Associated Press Writer

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Armed militants angered by a cartoon drawing of the Prophet Muhammad published in European newspapers surrounded EU offices in Gaza on Thursday and threatened to kidnap foreigners as outrage over the caricatures spread across the Islamic world.

More than 300 students demonstrated in Pakistan, chanting "Death to France!" and "Death to Denmark!"

:noclue:

The problem is that the vast majority of Muslims around the world don't seem to say anything against terrorism, even if they privately disagree with it. Their silence is deafening. So the assumption is that they support terrorist activity, OR they don't and are afraid to say anything for fear of their head being chopped off. If they continue to remain silent, the rest of the (non-Muslim) world will get the impression that Muslims don't see anything wrong with terrorist scum. Look at how many people in the U.S. and other Western countries are bitching about Bush, Iraq war, Guatanamo, etc. and compare that to the number of Muslims protesting decapitations and homicide bombings.

Btw, Muslims SHOULD care about how other people perceive them. Islam is NOT perceived in a positive light in much of the world, and it's because sociopathic extremist murderers have hijacked their religion.

Gee, I wonder why they don't speak out against terrorism. Maybe they don't want to be beheaded too. You do know that the concept of free speech is a foreign one amongst these nations, correct?

I don't know why it is incumbent upon them to speak out against terrorism. We can see the same thing on the board - every time Leeds finds some crazy left-wing loon, he posts it on here and tells the liberals 'why don't you condemn this?' And when a person is between agreeing with the infidels who bomb his countrymen and the Muslims who bomb his countrymen, it's a difficult choice. We see the same thing when Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson begin speaking about some perceived racism - 'why don't you speak out about black on black crime or serious racial issues?'

Terrorism is not justified. Barbarism is not justified. They are, however, understandable. You cannot compare our society to theirs - you cannot say how many people protest torture and freedom here and how few Muslims protest terrorism there. Americans are used to thinking for themselves and not fearing for their lives - uneducated people are used to listening to orders and living in fear. Educated Muslims know what the right course is - unfortunately there are far too few of them.

Edited by Triumph

I'm torn on this, one one hand the paper should've been more sensitive...but come on already, to respond with bomb threats, kidnap threats, the whole shebang over some cartoons? Just shut up and deal with it. They can't though.

I sense that this might be the first step in a possible movement, of Europe trying to fight back against Eurabia.

They're just not being integrated into the population, say what you will about weak Europe, but they will not stand for sabre rattling by these Muslim groups

Edited by '7'

I think it's great, as Europe will finally realize what sick bastards they're up against! We're talking about some cartoons here people... F'in South Park! Yes, I do understand the fact that the Muslim world has been void of any news or entertainment for close to 100 years (the Ottomans had a blast) but that is no excuse!

Cartoons people! Cartoons!

Well, the latest news is that thousands of Syrians went on a rampage in Damascus. They set the Danish and Norwegian embassies on fire and tried to burn them to the ground. No overreaction, huh :lol: Get over it already. So what happens if their irrational violence KILLS someone one of these days?? :blink: IDIOTS (I know how some love that word here!).

Btw, I do kind of feel that the Evangelicals have essentially hijacked the Republican party here in recent years. Not every right winger is ultra religious or against abortion or gay rights, yet Bush kisses the born again's asses (and is one himself).

How so?

The doctrine of Christ, interpreted literally, is incompatible with the ideals of capitalism. People are too busy storing up treasure on earth to think about treasure in Heaven. Yet Christ leaves the door open for interpretation on the part of all believers - the 'rules' in Christianity are general maxims, not codified law. Following all of what Christ teaches is probably impossible, regardless. I'm not taking the stupid liberal point of saying, 'well, Christians act against such and such a passage so they're all hypocrites and liars' - that is one of the most dishonest and arrogant arguments that exists.

Islam will have to undergo a similar change in order to shift to democracy. Religious orthodoxy is incompatible with democracy - it will inevitably lead to tyranny against non-believers.

I really don't see what's so difficult about this.

Well, the latest news is that thousands of Syrians went on a rampage in Damascus. They set the Danish and Norwegian embassies on fire and tried to burn them to the ground. No overreaction, huh :lol: Get over it already. So what happens if their irrational violence KILLS someone one of these days?? :blink: IDIOTS (I know how some love that word here!).

Btw, I do kind of feel that the Evangelicals have essentially hijacked the Republican party here in recent years. Not every right winger is ultra religious or against abortion or gay rights, yet Bush kisses the born again's asses (and is one himself).

Of *course* they overreacted. Mob behavior is always an overreaction and always irrational. I don't see what you want out of this.

Don't you guys get it? Humanity is fundamentaly hypocritcal. All of us are. It's what enables us to accomplish our goals and do what we truly desire. If the entire world, christian, muslim, jewish, rich, poor could come to grips with this simple fact then all of us could come together in a glorious celebration of togetherness. Humanity as a whole could come to grips with its failings and celebrate them as they are what makes us so beautiful.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060209/D8FLHEKG0.html

Cartoon Protesters Direct Anger at U.S.

By NOOR KHAN

(AP) An Afghan man stands near a truck set on fire by protesters as a US helicopter patrols near a U.S....

QALAT, Afghanistan (AP) - Police killed four people Wednesday as Afghans enraged over drawings of the Prophet Muhammad marched on a U.S. military base in a volatile southern province, directing their anger not against Europe but America.

The U.S. base was targeted because the United States "is the leader of Europe and the leading infidel in the world," said Sher Mohammed, a 40-year-old farmer who suffered a gunshot wound while taking part in the demonstration in the city of Qalat.

"They are all the enemy of Islam. They are occupiers in our country and must be driven out," Mohammed said.

Wednesday's violence began when hundreds of protesters tried to storm the U.S. base, said Ghulam Nabi Malakhail, a provincial police chief. When warning shots failed to deter them, police shot into the crowd, killing four and wounding 11, he said.

Flying rocks injured eight police and one Afghan soldier, he said.

Two Pakistanis arrested for allegedly firing at police were being questioned to see whether they were linked to al-Qaida, Malakhail said. Some officials accuse al-Qaida of inciting three days of bloody riots across Afghanistan that have left 11 dead.

Protesters also burned three fuel tankers waiting to deliver gasoline to the base, said Malakhail. He said U.S. troops fired warning shots into the air.

U.S. military spokesman Col. James Yonts said the American forces fired flares above the crowd, but he said it was not clear whether they fired their weapons.

Muslims around the world have demonstrated over the images - including one depicting the prophet wearing a turban shaped as a bomb - printed in Western media. Islam is interpreted to forbid any illustrations of the prophet.

In Baghdad, Iraq's top Shiite political leader criticized attacks on foreign embassies by Muslims.

"We value and appreciate peaceful Islamic protests," said Abdul Aziz al-Hakim. "But we are against the idea of attacking embassies and other official sites."

In the West Bank, about 300 Palestinians overpowered a Palestinian police detail and attacked an international observer mission in the city of Hebron.

Sixty members of the mission were inside, said Gunhild Forselv, spokeswoman for the Temporary International Presence in Hebron. A few protesters forced their way in, where unarmed observers waved clubs in an attempt to drive them off. Police reinforcements eventually restored order.

Muslims also demonstrated in Indian-controlled Kashmir, Bangladesh, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and in Turkey.

In Washington, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Iran and Syria of instigating protests in their countries, and President Bush called upon governments to stop the violence and protect the lives of diplomats overseas.

The United States and other countries were looking into whether extremist groups may be inciting protesters to riot, said Yonts, the U.S. spokesman in Afghanistan.

Iranian vice president Isfandiar Rahim Mashaee rejected Rice's assertion that Iran was inflaming Muslim anger over the cartoons. "That is 100 percent a lie," Mashaee said in Jakarta, Indonesia. "It is without attribution."

Zahor Afghan, editor for Erada, Afghanistan's most respected newspaper, said the riots in his country have surprised him.

"No media in Afghanistan has published or broadcast pictures of these cartoons. The radio has been reporting on it, but there are definitely people using this to incite violence against the presence of foreigners in Afghanistan," he said.

Afghans who rioted Wednesday said they heard about the cartoons on the radio but none questioned had seen printed versions.

"The radio is talking about them all the time. Everybody heard about them this way," said 28-year-old shopkeeper Ramatullah, who uses only name.

Wednesday's riot erupted despite an appeal from Afghanistan's top Islamic organization, the Ulama Council, for an end to the violence.

"Islam says it's all right to demonstrate but not to resort to violence. This must stop," senior cleric Mohammed Usman told The Associated Press. "We condemn the cartoons but this does not justify violence. These rioters are defaming the name of Islam."

In France, President Jacques Chirac asked media to avoid offending religious beliefs as another French newspaper reprinted the caricatures. The satirical French weekly Charlie-Hebdo also printed a new drawing under the headline "Muhammad Overwhelmed by the Fundamentalists" that showed the prophet with his head in his hands, remarking, "It's hard to be loved by idiots."

Don't you guys get it? Humanity is fundamentaly hypocritcal. All of us are. It's what enables us to accomplish our goals and do what we truly desire. If the entire world, christian, muslim, jewish, rich, poor could come to grips with this simple fact then all of us could come together in a glorious celebration of togetherness. Humanity as a whole could come to grips with its failings and celebrate them as they are what makes us so beautiful.

Time to hijack this thread...

I agree with this - kind of. Hypocrisy is a fundamental aspect of humanity - or rather, the ability to say one thing and do the opposite. Recognizing that hypocrisy is fundamental isn't the last step though - for we still need an ability to praise or blame. Don't we? I mean, if we could pass off so much of what is hypocritical as 'necessary', then what becomes of morality in general? Saying one thing and doing another is fundamentally 'immoral' or 'wrong' - how can this problem be resolved?

Ann Coulter decides to get her two cents in:

CALVIN AND HOBBES -- AND MUHAMMAD

By Ann Coulter

Wed Feb 8, 8:16 PM ET

As my regular readers know, I've long been skeptical of the "Religion of Peace" moniker for Muslims -- for at least 3,000 reasons right off the top of my head. I think the evidence is going my way this week.

The culture editor of a newspaper in Denmark suspected writers and cartoonists were engaging in self-censorship when it came to the Religion of Peace. It was subtle things, like a Danish comedian's statement, paraphrased by The New York Times, "that he had no problem urinating on the Bible but that he would not dare do the same to the Quran."

So, after verifying that his life insurance premiums were paid up, the editor expressly requested cartoons of Muhammad from every cartoonist with a Danish cartoon syndicate. Out of 40 cartoonists, only 10 accepted the invitation, most of them submitting utterly neutral drawings with no political content whatsoever.

But three cartoons made political points.

One showed Muhammad turning away suicide bombers from the gates of heaven, saying "Stop, stop -- we ran out of virgins!" -- which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. Another was a cartoon of Muhammad with horns, which I believe was a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence. The third showed Muhammad with a turban in the shape of a bomb, which I believe was an expression of post-industrial ennui in a secular -- oops, no, wait: It was more of a commentary on Muslims' predilection for violence.

In order to express their displeasure with the idea that Muslims are violent, thousands of Muslims around the world engaged in rioting, arson, mob savagery, flag-burning, murder and mayhem, among other peaceful acts of nonviolence.

Muslims are the only people who make feminists seem laid-back.

The little darlings brandish placards with typical Religion of Peace slogans, such as: "Behead Those Who Insult Islam," "Europe, you will pay, extermination is on the way" and "Butcher those who mock Islam." They warn Europe of their own impending 9/11 with signs that say: "Europe: Your 9/11 will come" -- which is ironic, because they almost had me convinced the Jews were behind the 9/11 attack.

The rioting Muslims claim they are upset because Islam prohibits any depictions of Muhammad -- though the text is ambiguous on beheadings, suicide bombings and flying planes into skyscrapers.

The belief that Islam forbids portrayals of Muhammad is recently acquired. Back when Muslims created things, rather than blowing them up, they made paintings, frescoes, miniatures and prints of Muhammad.

But apparently the Quran is like the Constitution: It's a "living document," capable of sprouting all-new provisions at will. Muslims ought to start claiming the Quran also prohibits indoor plumbing, to explain their lack of it. :rolleyes:

Other interpretations of the Quran forbid images of humans or animals, which makes even a child's coloring book blasphemous. That's why the Taliban blew up those priceless Buddhist statues, bless their innocent, peace-loving little hearts.

Largely unnoticed in this spectacle is the blinding fact that one nation is missing from the long list of Muslim countries (by which I mean France and England) with hundreds of crazy Muslims experiencing bipolar rage over some cartoons: Iraq. Hey -- maybe this democracy thing does work! The barbaric behavior of Europe's Muslims suggests that the European welfare state may not be attracting your top-notch Muslims.

Making the rash assumption for purposes of discussion that Islam is a religion and not a car-burning cult, even a real religion can't go bossing around other people like this.

Catholics aren't short on rules, but they couldn't care less if non-Catholics use birth control. Conservative Jews have no interest in forbidding other people from mixing meat and dairy. Protestants don't make a peep about other people eating food off one another's plates. (Just stay away from our plates -- that's disgusting.)

But Muslims think they can issue decrees about what images can appear in newspaper cartoons. Who do they think they are, liberals?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.