Historically, Which NJD Trade Irked You the Most?

Sharifijanov2099

Just a fun exercise here. Throughout your years of being a fan, however many that may be, which trade pissed you off the most and why? Looking back now, was your anger justified, or were you wrong?

For me, I'd say it was shipping out Steve Sullivan to get Doug Gilmore.

NJD Trades: Sullivan / Jason Smith / Alyn McCauley (prospect)

TOR Trades: Gilmour / Dave Ellett

This frustrated me to no end when it looked like Sullivan had magic in his hands, and was having a really nice start to his NHL career. I didn't think Doug Gilmour would be the guy to bring us a cup. Gilmour did have 22 pts in 20 games that year and 53 in 63 the next season, but ultimately, wasn't a game changer. Sullivan on the other hand went on to become a really good NHL player, albeit, one plagued by injuries. Jason Smith went on to become a captain in Edmonton, and brought a physical game to the table, one that perhaps could have been used a few years back when his skills weren't all dried up.

I think I was justified, and would have much rather kept those guys in the system than giving them away for Gilmour, who only played parts of 2 seasons here. BTW, McCauley was a pretty good prospect at the time too, but he never materialized into anything.

Obviously it's easy to go back and remark, "Ah, we didn't win the cup, I was right." That's not the point. I think the discussion is: based on the trade objective, did we succeed or fail? Or, did we get value in the trade based on the objective. IE, trading Langenbrunner to get rid of a cancer on the downswing of his career, I'd call that a win, despite not getting much in return.

Now you!

I'd have to see a list of trades to jog my memory, but off the top of my head, the Sullivan trade irked me a lot too. Sully was one of my favorite players at the time, and over the years I've often wondered whether it would be possible for the Devils to bring him back. I don't remember where Jason Smith was in his development at the time; I could be wrong, but I think he was still raw enough that we weren't really sure how he would turn out, even though he was on the Devils' roster full-time by then.

Also, that trade was one of a number of trades Lou made in that era that slowly bled our depth dry. Lou and Conte had stockpiled quite the treasure trove of talent in the early- and mid-'90s, and every year Lou would toss away more prospects in the pursuit of that last piece for a Cup run, with varying degrees of success. Eventually it would come back to haunt him, but at the time all was well and barely anyone worried about the future.

They say you have to give talent to get talent, but this is one deal where I feel the Devils gave up too much.

Also, that trade was one of a number of trades Lou made in that era that slowly bled our depth dry. Lou and Conte had stockpiled quite the treasure trove of talent in the early- and mid-'90s, and every year Lou would toss away more prospects in the pursuit of that last piece for a Cup run, with varying degrees of success. Eventually it would come back to haunt him, but at the time all was well and barely anyone worried about the future.

Is this really what happened? By the time the Devils' farm system started slowing down, the players he dealt away were already waiver-eligible and probably would've had to be got rid of anyway. It's not like the Devils' drafts from 1999-2006 are littered with guys who ended up starring for other teams.

Edited by Triumph

Id hate to be "that guy", but I wasn't thrilled with the return we got for Langenbrunner. I thought we'd get an easy 2nd, and apparently the Flyers offered one

They did? Where did it say that? Anyway, even if that's true, you know that divisional trading is rare, and not likely something Lou does unless absolutely necessary. Yeh, we shipped Rolston to the Isles, but that was prob the only team in the entire league who might take him, so we'll swallow the divisional pride on that one, but prob best not to have seen Langs in the same division last season.

I was always a big fan of Tommy Albelin, and I was really sad to see him go in the trade for Phil Housely. Then after we got Housely I thought he was a fine player, and was worth keeping, year end rental or not. Then the Devils let him go to the Caps at the end of the season for nothing. So we traded a guy I really admired for a guy I didn't want, only to end up likcing that guy and seeing him just walk away.

Whether or not we got what we wanted, trade value wise or whatever, it was definitely one that 'irked me' quite a bit at the time. I was very happy to get one of Tommy's practice sticks at the equipment sale last year, and I keep it right next to my desk at home.

I should add that at the time I really only willingly accepted guys leaving the Devils through retirement. I was upset by every trade :)

Edited by jim777

this is born out of the willie mitchell and mike commodore deals and tri answered how these guys never really had a roster spot to fill.

I honestly can't think of a trade that Lou has made where I've said 'I just don't get that one'. Maybe the Martin Skoula deal? I think the Gilmour trade was a great deal, and still do.

yeah, i loved the gilmour deal then and still do. to say it was a failure b/c they lost to the rangers in round 2 that year isn't fair. there were a ton of bad breaks in that series and the officiating was a joke - messier cross checked gilmour in the face and out of a game and got no call. someone important was hurt (i want to say andreychuk). that was also the "in the crease" series, IIRC.

Maclean for Doug Bodger and Dody Wood. The irking covers both Maclean's sudden crybaby "I'm not respected attitude" and the ultimate trade return.

yeah i came back into this thread to post this one. if i understood hockey more back then, i would've been really pissed off at this deal, i think.

yeah i came back into this thread to post this one. if i understood hockey more back then, i would've been really pissed off at this deal, i think.

Funny, I was going to say exactly what you said when I read his post. I was coming here to post this trade and then saw his post and then saw your post when I was going to agree with him. I feel double preempted.

Like I need to think of reasons to be irked...

actually mostly I get irked at other GMs obvious reluctance to make any sort of fair deal -

but I didn't care until post 1998 -- AND I'd say it took me two years to get a feel for the team and organization after that. -- then I got sucked into the abyss -- <_< %^#$*%#%^*

Is this really what happened? By the time the Devils' farm system started slowing down, the players he dealt away were already waiver-eligible and probably would've had to be got rid of anyway. It's not like the Devils' drafts from 1999-2006 are littered with guys who ended up starring for other teams.

I don't know quite how accurate it is, but it's how I remember it. The Devils were celebrated throughout hockey in the '90s for the strength of their minor-league system, but by the time they needed to draw on that strength, almost everyone was gone, traded away for spare parts.

Maybe you're right; maybe it would have worked out that all those decent prospects would have been gone anyway by the time there were spots open for them. It still strikes me as a bit of a waste, though.

yeah, i loved the gilmour deal then and still do. to say it was a failure b/c they lost to the rangers in round 2 that year isn't fair. there were a ton of bad breaks in that series and the officiating was a joke - messier cross checked gilmour in the face and out of a game and got no call. someone important was hurt (i want to say andreychuk). that was also the "in the crease" series, IIRC.

I don't know if that trade was an all-out failure. I'm not one of those guys who considers any non-Cup season to be a failure. I'd say the Devils gave up a lot given that Ellett turned out to be a rental and Gilmour only stayed one more season, but Gilmour was still pretty good back then.

this is born out of the willie mitchell and mike commodore deals and tri answered how these guys never really had a roster spot to fill.

I think Andreychuk hurt his ankle the last or second to last game of the season. Something like that. And the reason I posted was to agree about "in the crease" thing. UGH... that was murder. So many goals got called back on us for a toe in the crease.

Kovalchuk

Preemptive Strike.

I remember really hating the Claude Lemieux for Steve Thomas trade, but I was really young and didn't understand the contract issues...and still don't completely:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=778213

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

They did? Where did it say that? Anyway, even if that's true, you know that divisional trading is rare, and not likely something Lou does unless absolutely necessary. Yeh, we shipped Rolston to the Isles, but that was prob the only team in the entire league who might take him, so we'll swallow the divisional pride on that one, but prob best not to have seen Langs in the same division last season.

Plus the Isles aren't really a rival per se the way the other teams in the division (especially the Rangers and Flyers) are. Or as much of an immediate threat as those other teams for that matter. But yeah historically Lou's only made one insignificant deal with the Flyers - Scott Daniels rofl - and none with the Rangers.

Plus the Isles aren't really a rival per se the way the other teams in the division (especially the Rangers and Flyers) are. Or as much of an immediate threat as those other teams for that matter. But yeah historically Lou's only made one insignificant deal with the Flyers - Scott Daniels rofl - and none with the Rangers.

Haha! There's a guy I forgot all about!

I cant see how Kovalchuk even contends. The contract is another matter entirely. The trade was a steal. Bergfors and Oduya? Yea, okay.

Outside of pre-1991, the only Devils trade that irked me (at the time) was Arnott/McKay for Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner. It obviously was not a bad trade at all, but it pissed me off when it happened. I did not like Langenbrunner at the time.

Yeah, that was one of Lou's worst. I was royally pissed at that deal. I couldn't fathom how he couldn't get more for Johnny Mac than that.