NFL Week 16

CRASHER

Tough loss for the Panthers last night but man what a ENTERTAINING game indeed. Kudos to the Giants OL, which is the thing that really makes this RB's go.

Why was John Fox so conservative for the FG attempt? Personally that baffled me a bit.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Favre has shown this year is what Favre has been showing for years now: he'll have good moments, but not nearly enough to outweight the bad ones. These last three games where they've needed him the most speak volumes: 1 TD, 6 INT.

Thing is, if anything his talent's been more than good enough to overcome his short-circuit moments for the balance of his career. That's the difference this year, he just isn't that good anymore. The Favre of old, while yes he would have his brain farts - just wouldn't be underthrowing passes with regularity the way he has the last few weeks - which only exacerbates his natural margin of error. Hell, Vinny could probably get up off his couch NOW and throw the ball better than Favre has the second half of this season :rolleyes:

But if you even admit he's a HOF'er, how is he (career-wise) so overrated? Unless you're talking about ESPN and their ridiculous hype machine, who cares about that :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Thing is, if anything his talent's been more than good enough to overcome his short-circuit moments for the balance of his career. That's the difference this year, he just isn't that good anymore. The Favre of old, while yes he would have his brain farts - just wouldn't be underthrowing passes with regularity the way he has the last few weeks - which only exacerbates his natural margin of error. Hell, Vinny could probably get up off his couch NOW and throw the ball better than Favre has the second half of this season :rolleyes:

But if you even admit he's a HOF'er, how is he (career-wise) so overrated? Unless you're talking about ESPN and their ridiculous hype machine, who cares about that :P

Oh, he's a HOF. You can't NOT put in a guy who's lasted as long as he has and who has thrown for that many TD passes. And he's got his ring, and a well-deserved one...I was just happy the Pats were actually able to take a lead at one point and were able stay in that SB for a good portion of that game.

But when you break down his numbers (and I know TD-INT ratios aren't everything):

1994-97: 145 TD, 56 INT (2.59 to 1 ratio)

Rest of career: 318 TD, 251 INT (1.27 to 1 ratio)

For some reason, over the last half of his career (and we saw this repeatedly with the Jets), Brett just seemed to think "I'm Brett Favre and I can do whatever I want with the ball, it doesn't matter how careless or reckless I get or how much I kill my team, because I'm this gunslinger and for some reason people will find reasons to give me a pass on it." He did an awful lot to hurt his teams since '99. (250 TD, 189 INT)

Here's an article on the subject from March of 2008...from ESPN no less:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3281535

Tough loss for the Panthers last night but man what a ENTERTAINING game indeed. Kudos to the Giants OL, which is the thing that really makes this RB's go.

Why was John Fox so conservative for the FG attempt? Personally that baffled me a bit.

That is John Fox football right there. If Fox had his way he would never pass the entire game. He played the entire first half to win and the entire second half not to lose, which is always what he does.

Also why wasn't D-Will in the game on that last series? You have to give the ball to your play-maker. Panthers easily could have gotten the ball to Moose or Smitty for 5-6 yards to make that field goal easier.

That is John Fox football right there. If Fox had his way he would never pass the entire game. He played the entire first half to win and the entire second half not to lose, which is always what he does.

Also why wasn't D-Will in the game on that last series? You have to give the ball to your play-maker. Panthers easily could have gotten the ball to Moose or Smitty for 5-6 yards to make that field goal easier.

I was thinking the same thing bro. Williams had been shredding the Giants all night and they go to Stewart for the last series? That would seriously be pissing me off today if I was a Panthers fan.

I agree 100 percent about that...So let's take out best playmaker OUT of the biggest game of the year...wow.

Fox is like the anti Andy Reid...obsessed with the run...and Reid is completely obsessed to throwing to 2nd rate WR's

I agree 100 percent about that...So let's take out best playmaker OUT of the biggest game of the year...wow.

Fox is like the anti Andy Reid...obsessed with the run...and Reid is completely obsessed to throwing to 2nd rate WR's

Well at least we finally have the personnel for his style of football. The last two years we have been doing the exact same thing with a crummy o-line and DeShaun Foster as the back. That was a lot more frustrating.

But I still can't fathom why he would settle for a 50-yard field goal when we could have made it a lot easier. The only good play was the wildcat run by D-Will, but why put him in only then?

Hey Crasher it didn't even take until Tuesday before they changed the time on some of these games for Week 17. :P

The Dallas/Philadelphia game has already been moved from 1:00 PM to 4:15 PM on FOX. :koolaid: The Oakland/Tampa Bay game will be still at 1:00 PM. Dallas and Philadelphia will already know who won that game.

I figured they'd wait to see if tonight's game mattered next week... oh well :noclue:

(speaking of... hell of an effort by the Packers here!!)

Anyone hear Mangini's Press Conference today..... he sounded like he was mumbling at a FUNERAL and not talking about a team with a shot still..... if I was a Jets fan i'd be FUMING.... hell I was angry and I WANT them to fail!!!

I figured they'd wait to see if tonight's game mattered next week... oh well :noclue:

Anyone hear Mangini's Press Conference today..... he sounded like he was mumbling at a FUNERAL and not talking about a team with a shot still..... if I was a Jets fan i'd be FUMING.... hell I was angry and I WANT them to fail!!!

I heard bits and pieces of it on Francesa's show. Good. Hopefully their will is sapped and their spirit is broken. I'm not counting on it, but I'm hoping.

Edited by MadDog2020

I heard bits and pieces of it on Francesa's show. Good. Hopefully their will is sapped and their spirit is broken. I'm not counting on it, but I'm hoping.

count on it, expect it. The Jets are a dead carcass and will be thoroughly humiliated Sunday.

Are Cowboy fans confident that they can go into philly and win to make the playoffs? Eagles definitely beatable and the Cowboys should win the game but Eagles (and fans) will be fired up for this one. The way the cowboys are throwing away games this year I would say its not a sure bet. We will see what the cowboys are made of this week, when it counts the most. Win and they're in.

Reverse psychology much? :P

no no....now normally I would try that, but this year the Jets just don't have a very "together" team. The karma and chemistry are gone. Miami has it, they are playing fast and loose. It's the reverse of 2002.

I love the Jets, but bet the ranch on the Fish.

Today was worse...he actually admitted the team spent time preparing for Miami last week (while they were supposed to be focusing on Seattle, mind you) because - get this - he wanted the players and coaches to have time off during the holiday.

Well gee that's all well and good but Miami's got the same darn schedule anyway! I guarantee their KC preperation didn't suffer one iota. Show more urgency on the field - not to mention enough brainpower to be able to get away with it - and you can have whatever days off you want, but this team of wusses looks like robots, in the mold of Mangini himself.

Edited by Hasan4978

Today was worse...he actually admitted the team spent time preparing for Miami last week (while they were supposed to be focusing on Seattle, mind you) because - get this - he wanted the players and coaches to have time off during the holiday.

Well gee that's all well and good but Miami's got the same darn schedule anyway! I guarantee their KC preperation didn't suffer one iota. Show more urgency on the field - not to mention enough brainpower to be able to get away with it - and you can have whatever days off you want, but this team of wusses looks like robots, in the mold of Mangini himself.

Yeah I didn't hear that until AFTER I had made the comments... it's amazing between the robotic emotionless replies... a seemingly depressed and beaten Favre...a soft defense.... good thing their running game has been awesome this year or they might have only won 4 games again this year

As for Christmas, that's a bunch of bull... not like these guys are sitting at home cooking the damn turkey (hell after what Plax did with his gun I'd not let these fools hold KNIVES to even carve them :P)... and they can do some prep work in the morning today and then relax with the families tomorrow... not like they need to travel... but ignoring your current opponent is almost beyond laughable

no no....now normally I would try that, but this year the Jets just don't have a very "together" team. The karma and chemistry are gone. Miami has it, they are playing fast and loose. It's the reverse of 2002.

I love the Jets, but bet the ranch on the Fish.

We'll see. I'm still expecting a tough game.