GDT Devils @ Coyotes 8pm EST

'7'

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it guessing? Sure you could call it that.

If I said the penguins were going to make the play offs, that would be guessing to. But you wouldn't question it. You know why? Because their play and their record dictate that they are clearly going to make the playoffs.

Schneider's play and his stats this year dictate that he is the far better goalie, and it stands to reason that him being in net results in a more favorable outcome tonight for us.

And given that the 2 soft fvcking goals marty let up could be stopped by basically every goalie in the league, I would venture to guess that the top 10 goalie Mr. Schneider would have made those fvcking saves.

But I don't know sh!t so what ever.

+1 for bold idiocy. I can respect that.

1. 2 bad goals by Brodeur (The first 2 goals of the game)

2. A missed penalty call in the 3rd (The high stick that was missed on Henrique)

3. Bad puck luck (The puck hitting the Coyote player, and off the post after Clowe stole the puck from Smith on that open net wraparound)

4. Zidlicky being stupid (The 2nd period penalty which led to the Yotes 3rd goal, and not shooting with a perfect shooting opportunity)

4 of the reasons we lost tonight.

Things may get worse before they get better though. 2 with the Blues? Rangers outdoor game? They may be back under .500 very quickly.

But look at the remaining schedule.  It's fairly light.  Outside of St. Louis, Boston, and maybe Colorado, all the games left are teams that the Devils can easily handle.

They really need one fast skilled player.   Of course they grow on trees, so that should be easy.   They outworked the Coyotes by a mile outside of say the first 6 minutes of the game where they were awful.   But everything is grindy and they basically kick the puck up the ice, you probably could count the nice places on one hand.

On the plus side at least the Clowe thing doesn't look like an abysmal failure right now, they just need to keep him in bubblewrap.   But line 2 plays the exact same game as line 1.

They really need one fast skilled player.   Of course they grow on trees, so that should be easy.   They outworked the Coyotes by a mile outside of say the first 6 minutes of the game where they were awful.   But everything is grindy and they basically kick the puck up the ice, you probably could count the nice places on one hand.

On the plus side at least the Clowe thing doesn't look like an abysmal failure right now, they just need to keep him in bubblewrap.   But line 2 plays the exact same game as line 1.

I agree with everything you said.  We don't need an elite forward.  We just need a good one.

Things may get worse before they get better though. 2 with the Blues? Rangers outdoor game? They may be back under .500 very quickly.

Devils have shown they can hang with most teams, regardless of where their opponents are in the standings.  It's going to come down to how often Schneider plays and how well he plays.  I think the Devils are what they are offensively (inconsistent and just not great at converting or generating scoring opportunities). 

It really is the only thing that's different between the 2011/2012 team and this year's. 

Not really...that team was twenty games above .500.  Only half of that was due to the shootout, they were still a legitimate ten over and capable of winning streaks.  They're barely a ++++ hair above NHL .500 without the shootout now and have had one three-game winning streak inside a year.  Plus that team scored 216 goals.  This team has barely half that in 50 games, putting them on pace for about 189 over a full season.

But look at the remaining schedule.  It's fairly light.  Outside of St. Louis, Boston, and maybe Colorado, all the games left are teams that the Devils can easily handle.

No team is an easy win for us.  We've had maybe one easy game all year - bombing an ECHL-caliber goalie against Nashville.  That's not concudive to going on long winning streaks, of which we'll need at least one to solidify a playoff spot.

2011-12 team was pretty shaky through 25 games.  They were pretty solid after that.  Marty also picked it up in the second half. 

That team had guys who could put pucks in the net, either through skill (Kovy and Parise) or lots of puck luck (Clarkson). Right now I don't see that one forward who can be counted on to carry the scoring load, and it seems like whenever one or two forwards get it going, the other ones go cold. 

They're going to have to find a way to score 2-3 goals per game by committee (at least now they get some goals from their defenseman), and hope they can steal some points from the games where they only score one goal...I just don't see this team improving a whole lot offensively.  On that front, I think they're going to have to work with what they've got.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You get a team that would be well over .500 if it could win half their shootouts? Some of you deserve being Edmonton fans so bad.

But we are not winning these shootouts and we are simply chasing after a loser point once we get into the 3rd period. This isn't just a poor hockey team it is a boring hockey team. Third time in four years by the way we aren't any good. But I'm sure you will come up with some ridiculous CORSI stat that makes you feel all better about things.

I know it's hard for you to deal in reality and absolutes when you garble on fifty times a day with whatever nonsensical saber stats you try to use to make you sound like you are some sort of expert or that you are entitled to some special fan status.

Devils have shown they can hang with most teams, regardless of where their opponents are in the standings. It's going to come down to how often Schneider plays and how well he plays. I think the Devils are what they are offensively (inconsistent and just not great at converting or generating scoring opportunities).

This is the NHL. Pretty much every team can "hang" in there with others.

This is the NHL. Pretty much every team can "hang" in there with others.

Their goal differential is pretty good for their record.  Eliminate the phantom shootout goals, and they're even in GF-GA.  They're not really a bad team getting lucky wins (when they do win).   

Factoring in their shootout follies, I think there's a chance they Devils could go 17-8-7 in their last 32 GP...IF Cory can have a couple of terrific months.  Anything less than that from Cory, no way that happens. 

Not really...that team was twenty games above .500.  Only half of that was due to the shootout, they were still a legitimate ten over and capable of winning streaks.  They're barely a ++++ hair above NHL .500 without the shootout now and have had one three-game winning streak inside a year.  Plus that team scored 216 goals.  This team has barely half that in 50 games, putting them on pace for about 189 over a full season.

Dear lord. This team is just as capable of putting together winning streaks. Give them 6-2 in the SO rather than 0-8 and there you have your winning streaks. That 2011/2012 team had the fourth best record in the East. Guess where this team would be if they had that team's SO average? 4th in the East. 

These two teams aren't very different, period.

Their goal differential is pretty good for their record. Eliminate the phantom shootout goals, and they're even in GF-GA. They're not really a bad team getting lucky wins (when they do win).

Factoring in their shootout follies, I think there's a chance they Devils could go 17-8-7 in their last 32 GP...IF Cory can have a couple of terrific months. Anything less than that from Cory, no way that happens.

Of course there is a chance. There is an equal chance they finish terribly. Their goal differential is not a big deal. This team has to live and die by playing close games. It's one of the only things Deboer has designed properly in fixing the defensive system which was so horrid at times last year. He knows this team can't play open or overly aggressive.

Dear lord. This team is just as capable of putting together winning streaks. Give them 6-2 in the SO rather than 0-8 and there you have your winning streaks. That 2011/2012 team had the fourth best record in the East. Guess where this team would be if they had that team's SO average? 4th in the East.

These two teams aren't very different, period.

You can't compare the two for Christies steaks! Two different teams in two different seasons facing completely different variables.

did not see much of this game . I was bashing clowe so he goes out and nets one and assists another, lol. first goal merrill fell, AGAIN, and slid past the play. pretty bad

O point game, need to shrug it off and win a few of these next games

Merrill has looked flat awful lately. Him and Salvador by far the weakest links.

I still hate the Clowe deal and Lou should be held to account for it but it is what it is that point and we need him to do something. His skating is not as bad as I though it was. He's still pretty slow but he's got more puck handling ability and skill than I thought.