Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

Nearly cost NJ a shot at the playoffs? overreach much? We may have finished 6th but on points we were closer to 1st place then 9th. In hindsight 5m for Marty last year was a steal when you look at the performance he delivered. Of course there's no way to no if he can do that again, but it's also not a reason to low ball him either.

LOL, no it isn't.

Overreach? Before the All Star Break, here were Marty's numbers: .894 SV%, 2.77 GAA. .894% SV. That would've tied for 46th out of 48 goalies who played 20 or more games last year had it extended over the full season. He was HORRIBLE, costing the team lots of games. In the 2nd half, he made up for it, playing very well and letting the Devils get on several runs. And again, he played quite well in the playoffs.

You are missing my point, if we are a floor team why bother upgrading our forwards? the hope of a miracle run with Kovy carrying the team with Hedberg in net? If we truly are a floor team (and I don't think we are) then sign Marty and let him play out a few years while we regroup. Hell we only have a total of 19m in signed players after next season.

To get better? Hedberg's been better than Brodeur the last 2 years. I don't know if he's the better goalie, but it beats betting $5M on Brodeur, that's for sure.

Another thing, unless Brodeur's salary hurts the Devils attempts to sign Parise or Semin this offseason, losing the cap space for only this year isn't a big deal. The UFA crop is thin and the Devils are better off keeping the space I think for next year and the Zajac/Elias negotiations post CBA than overpaying a mediocre FA to a long term deal. Thus overpaying Brodeur for one year I think is not really a problem for them. If they overpay for two years, it's a problem.

Not to derail the thread but how the hell do you average 7% over capacity all year long? Shouldn't that just become your actual capacity at that point?

Why are the Rangers at 100% they averaged 18,191 but 100% is 18,200. Make it 99.9% espn :rolleyes:

Edited by Zubie#8

LOL, no it isn't.

Overreach? Before the All Star Break, here were Marty's numbers: .894 SV%, 2.77 GAA. .894% SV. That would've tied for 46th out of 48 goalies who played 20 or more games last year had it extended over the full season. He was HORRIBLE, costing the team lots of games. In the 2nd half, he made up for it, playing very well and letting the Devils get on several runs. And again, he played quite well in the playoffs.

I wasn't suggesting you were fabricating his bad start, I was suggesting that somehow Marty almost cost us a playoff spot last year when he clearly didn't was overreach. So he has a bad start and rebounded, I guess in the NHL you've been watching that never happens. Marty has made a career out of bouncing back from bad stretches.

We didn't squeak into the playoffs, we stormed and got withing 2 wins of a cup thanks in large part to the guy you wouldn't have paid 5m for last year and are now making the same argument for next.

LOL, no it isn't.

To get better? Hedberg's been better than Brodeur the last 2 years. I don't know if he's the better goalie, but it beats betting $5M on Brodeur, that's for sure.

Look, at the end of the day, we are likely talking a difference of $1 mill for what Marty is asking for and our pay for a starting goalie. Just pay the guy 1 more year to appease this fan base and its 1,600+ new season ticket holders...and so Parise doesnt freak out.

I wasn't suggesting you were fabricating his bad start, I was suggesting that somehow Marty almost cost us a playoff spot last year when he clearly didn't was overreach. So he has a bad start and rebounded, I guess in the NHL you've been watching that never happens. Marty has made a career out of bouncing back from bad stretches.

We didn't squeak into the playoffs, we stormed and got withing 2 wins of a cup thanks in large part to the guy you wouldn't have paid 5m for last year and are now making the same argument for next.

Brodeur finished up the playoffs with a .917 SV%, which is slightly above the NHL average. It's not close to the SV%s he put up when he won Stanley Cups. He was also excellent at using his defense and handling the puck, although his roaming did cost the Devils some goals against. Still, the Devils dominant forecheck was the real difference-maker. Brodeur played well, but you're trying to make it seem like no one else could've played that well.

Brodeur did almost cost the Devils a playoff spot, I won't back off that at all. The Devils got seriously lucky to even be .500 with as poorly as he was playing (and the offense wasn't clicking, either).

No no, that's not what we were arguing. I was just saying that it isn't unfair to say the presence of Brodeur would be major, major news in the place he went -- and probably help increase revenue and interest in the team. Whether or not Brodeur would want to go is a completely different discussion.

It will be big news and will drive interest for a few days or weeks. If he doesn't even come close to delivering you can bet they will turn on him and count down until his deal is over. Not sure if a team would want to take a chance on a few weeks of interest for a possible bad signing.

This is like the Jeter situation, play footsie cause nobody thinks you're going to leave. The tweet by Damien Cox does concern me, but this isn't nearly as acrimonious as the Jeter situation was, and he still came back.

What makes anyone think Parise wants Marty back?

So Zach would rather have a kid starting than a legend who just had a strong second half and playoffs? Holy hell, I need a message board break soon.

This is like the Jeter situation, play footsie cause nobody thinks you're going to leave. The tweet by Damien Cox does concern me, but this isn't nearly as acrimonious as the Jeter situation was, and he still came back.

So Zach would rather have a kid starting than a legend who just had a strong second half and playoffs? Holy hell, I need a message board break soon.

Zach knows Marty has to go sooner than later. Zach wouldn't be signing for just one more year, he'd be signing for what? 7,8? The transition has to begin at somepoint.

LA's capacity is well over 18,000, but they have 17,920 as 100 percent. Something weird going on.

I dont like it all, I remember the Rangers having a percentage of 99.9 percent and I was at the only game they did not sell out. It was against the Senators in October, the same day we had that weird fall snowstorm.

Brodeur finished up the playoffs with a .917 SV%, which is slightly above the NHL average. It's not close to the SV%s he put up when he won Stanley Cups. He was also excellent at using his defense and handling the puck, although his roaming did cost the Devils some goals against. Still, the Devils dominant forecheck was the real difference-maker. Brodeur played well, but you're trying to make it seem like no one else could've played that well.

Marty was a cog, not the machine and I went out of my way to mention it several times, never stating he was the sole reason. Last year he was worth 5m when you look at how he played over all, and given that I don't mind gambling on another 5m rather then see him duplicate that performance somewhere else. I'd rather pay him 5m and have him tank for a season and go out as a Devil then spend 5m on a bunch of random FA's. Again, this is money we have to spend anyway.

Brodeur did almost cost the Devils a playoff spot, I won't back off that at all. The Devils got seriously lucky to even be .500 with as poorly as he was playing (and the offense wasn't clicking, either).

By this logic any player or goalie has a bad stretch of play for any team that finishes 11 points or less ahead of 9th almost costs their team a playoff spot then. I know you aren't backing off it, because it's so ridiculous you are going to try and talk circles around the argument. If Marty continued to play the way he did the first half and the Devils got into the playoffs by 1 or 2 points, fine you have an argument. But that's not what happened, he turned it around and played very well.

LOL, no it isn't.

This is what some people are forgetting.

And Tri is right about the playoffs too...Marty was good in them, sometimes great, but his numbers weren't as impressive as they'd been over previous SC runs (though they were a LOT better than '00-'01 for sure). I felt like as I was watching him, I was watching a guy who was reaching for and squeezing out every last bit of greatness he still had within him.

I think the only thing that can be said about what to expect from Marty on the ice in the future is that we have no idea what to expect! And I don't think the Devils should be handing out lifetime achievement contracts. Even if Marty were to leave, the Devils will take care of him after he retires...he'll probably have some role in the organization, he'll likely have a both Martin Brodeur Day AND a separate jersey retirement day.

I can't get broken up about him possibly leaving. All one has to is take a look at the top 10 winningest goalies of all time in the NHL, and he'll see that all of them played for multiple teams. It's not like if Brodeur leaves, we're seeing him go in the prime of his career, with several big years left. What does he realistically have left? 40-50 wins, maybe? I got to see him win 656 regular season games and 113 playoff games in a Devil uniform. If he adds a little bit to his numbers at the end of career in another uniform, is it going to tarnish everything he did as a New Jersey Devil? Not in my eyes. Does Michael Jordan's Washington Wizard days affect his Chicago Bull heroics?

To sum up, I won't hold anything against Lou or Marty if it doesn't happen. I can understand both parties' positions, and they had one hell of a run together...far, far, far longer than his peers Roy and Hasek enjoyed with any one of their teams.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Marty was a cog, not the machine and I went out of my way to mention it several times, never stating he was the sole reason. Last year he was worth 5m when you look at how he played over all, and given that I don't mind gambling on another 5m rather then see him duplicate that performance somewhere else. I'd rather pay him 5m and have him tank for a season and go out as a Devil then spend 5m on a bunch of random FA's. Again, this is money we have to spend anyway.

And the year before that he was worth about $700,000, and I'm not joking at all.

By this logic any player or goalie has a bad stretch of play for any team that finishes 11 points or less ahead of 9th almost costs their team a playoff spot then. I know you aren't backing off it, because it's so ridiculous you are going to try and talk circles around the argument. If Marty continued to play the way he did the first half and the Devils got into the playoffs by 1 or 2 points, fine you have an argument. But that's not what happened, he turned it around and played very well.

When that player is playing horribly, and if he's the most important player on the team (the goalie), then yes, he is. The Devils were 26-19-3 at the All-Star Break. Brodeur himself was 14-12-2. But he was lucky to be that good with a .894 SV%. The Devils themselves had a negative goal differential for most of the year and were still barely positive. Why? Brodeur. The offense was average, the defense was great. Brodeur had a .908 SV% which is still below average.

Edited by Triumph

This is what some people are forgetting.

And Tri is right about the playoffs too...Marty was good in them, sometimes great, but his numbers weren't as impressive as they'd been over previous SC runs (though they were a LOT better than '00-'01 for sure). I felt like as I was watching him, I was watching a guy who was reaching for and squeezing out every last bit of greatness he still had within him.

I think the only thing that can be said about what to expect from Marty on the ice in the future is that we have no idea what to expect! And I don't think the Devils should be handing out lifetime achievement contracts. Even if Marty were to leave, the Devils will take care of him after he retires...he'll probably have some role in the organization, he'll likely have a both Martin Brodeur Day AND a separate jersey retirement day.

I can't get broken up about him possibly leaving. All one has to is take a lot at the top 10 winningest goalies of all time in the NHL, and he'll see that all of them played for multiple teams. It's not like if Brodeur leaves, we're seeing him go in the prime of his career, with several big years left. What does he realistically have left? 40-50 wins, maybe? I got to see him win 656 regular season games and 113 playoff games in a Devil uniform. If he adds a little bit to his numbers at the end of career in another uniform, is it going to tarnish everything he did as a New Jersey Devil? Not in my eyes. Does Michael Jordan's Washington Wizard days affect his Chicago Bull heroics?

To sum up, I won't hold anything against Lou or Marty if it doesn't happen. I can understand both parties' positions, and they had one hell of a run together...far, far, far longer than his peers Roy and Hasek enjoyed with any one of their teams.

Agree totally.

@TGfireandice

My understanding is there will be room for both Parise and Brodeur in Devils' budget, but Parise is first piece of the puzzle.

That is good, but I find the prospect of Marty leaving just unthinkable.

He isn't retiring because he had fun HERE.

You can't compare Marty's Playoff numbers compared to historical.

Not many teams had the benefit of Stevens, Nieds, Dano, Rafi playing in front of him. You can't compare the defenses its night and day our Defense today is just very good, not great.

Brodeur has made 73 Million in his career. Only guys like Jagr, Pronger, Lidstrom (probably a few more) have made more in their NHL Careers.

Lidstrom topped out at 100 M. Thats w/o any endorsements.

The only thing that sets Brodeur aside is the crazy divorce and 5 kids. probably a big hunk of his $$ went to his ex wife

Probably needs to squeeze a few yrs out