HHOF Class of 2012 Thread

devilsrule33

Class of 2012  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Besides Sakic and Shanahan, who do you want in this year?

Class of 2012 will be announced at 3PM. Sakic and Shanahan are the obvious locks their first time on the ballot. Sundin and Roenick are eligible for the first time as well, but aren't considered shoo-ins just yet. Other notables include Oates, Bure, Lindros, Housley, Mogilny, and Joseph.

And of course, hopefully Pat Burns gets voted in.

4 is the max for players. What's everyone's hopes and predictions? For me:

Sakic

Shanahan

Oates

Bure

I think we see Sakic, Shanahan, Oates and Sundin.

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't think Roenick or Sundin are first ballot hall of famers.

Sundin is a massively underrated player who spent the majority of his career playing in the Dead Puck era. Even losing a year and a half to lockout and playing in that era, he scored 564 goals. Had he played in the 1980s, he would've scored 700. He belongs in first ballot, it will only be the prejudice of the HHOF Selection Committee that would keep him out on the first go around.

Sundin is a massively underrated player who spent the majority of his career playing in the Dead Puck era. Even losing a year and a half to lockout and playing in that era, he scored 564 goals. Had he played in the 1980s, he would've scored 700. He belongs in first ballot, it will only be the prejudice of the HHOF Selection Committee that would keep him out on the first go around.

I agree with you completely that Sundin should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He was the model of consistency at an extremely high level.

But...I would rather see Pavel Bure in the Hall of Fame first. I think he was just the better play with a shorter career. Pavel Bure was playing during the same Dead Puck era and was putting up 60+ goals for many seasons.

All very good points. It's just personally, when I think Mats Sundin I just don't think fist ballet hall of famer.

You should have Devils legend Dave Andreychuk on the list, even though I don't think he deserves it over the others.

His accumlated stats and longevity are eyepopping though

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/andreda01.html

Games 1639

Goals 640

Assist 698

Points 1338

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

You should have Devils legend Dave Andreychuk on the list, even though I don't think he deserves it over the others.

His accumlated stats and longevity are eyepopping though

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/a/andreda01.html

Games 1639

Goals 640

Assist 698

Points 1338

Total mistake there to leave him off. I think he'll get in eventually but hopefully not for a long while.

Apparently not. I don't really get Sundin over Shanahan, but if you look at who is on the committee, there is a huge Toronto bias. Both are deserving, but I'd have Shanahan slotted above Sundin.

I think Sundin was a better player than Shanahan. But I'm kind of amazed that Sundin would be voted in over Shanahan - one of them was born in the wrong country, and it's not Shanahan.

All very good points. It's just personally, when I think Mats Sundin I just don't think fist ballet hall of famer.

I agree, but the guy was scary consistent...excluding his rookie year, final season and the strike-shortened '95 season, in his other 15 seasons in the NHL he had one season where he put up 114 points, a second where he put up 94 points, and finished with 72-85 points in each of the other 13 seasons. In other words, the guy was remarkably steady...I probably wouldn't have put in him in the first ballot, but almost definitely on the second.

Surprised over Shanny not making this cut.

And I'm still waiting for Mike Richter, certainly the most-accomplished (& perhaps best-ever) US-born goalkeeper (World Cup, Stanley Cup, Olympics)

And Sergei Makarov also has a great case, since its the Hokey Hall of Fame and not just the NHL Hall of Fame.

Next year seems like a lock for Nieds & Blake, and possibly Tkachuk will get in too.

Absolutely disgusting Burnsy didnt get in.

TG had a few tweets about that, I more or less agree with him

‏‏@TGfireandice - And, as much as Pat Burns belongs, I'm not upset he didn't get in this year. They need to take some time now.

@TGfireandice - Pat Burns should have gotten in 2 years ago before he died. Now, it's too fresh and would add to insult to leaving him out 2 years ago.

Total mistake there to leave him off. I think he'll get in eventually but hopefully not for a long while.

Nothing against him, but to me he's a bit of a compiler who played a nice chunk of his career in the Live Puck Era, and his production dropped off noticably in '94, and really dropped off after '97.

Here are his numbers before '94 (and obviously these aren't the only numbers by which to measure him and others):

877 GP, 426 G, 482 A, 908 Pts

With '94 thru '97 added in:

1083 GP, 503 G, 561 A, 1064 Pts

His last 8 seasons really hurt his overall numbers:

556 GP, 137 G, 137 A, 274 Pts, and was a -66 in those years to boot.

Guess one can argue that, if his career had ended in '97, he probably would've gotten in anyway, so what he did after that shouldn't hurt him from a HOF standpoint. I'm not against him getting in, but I agree, shouldn't be for a while.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

TG had a few tweets about that, I more or less agree with him

I agree with Dreger and McKenzie over TG in this respect.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Personally, I think it's ludicrous that Brendan Shanahan wasn't a first-ballot HHOFer, and that Fred Shero and Pat Burns are still not there

@DarrenDreger

I do my best to respect all nominees and the process, however, no Shanahan and no Pat Burns makes NO sense. Hall of Fame debate will rage on

TG's reasoning is not that far fetched, but its also stupid to overlook him at any time now. The majority of people think that he is deserving/should be in and its already too late, just not the ones on the committee.

Edited by ghdi

Nothing against him, but to me he's a bit of a compiler who played a nice chunk of his career in the Live Puck Era, and his production dropped off noticably in '94, and really dropped off after '97.

Here are his numbers before '94 (and obviously these aren't the only numbers by which to measure him and others):

877 GP, 426 G, 482 A, 908 Pts

With '94 thru '97 added in:

1083 GP, 503 G, 561 A, 1064 Pts

His last 8 seasons really hurt his overall numbers:

556 GP, 137 G, 137 A, 274 Pts, and was a -66 in those years to boot.

Guess one can argue that, if his career had ended in '97, he probably would've gotten in anyway, so what he did after that shouldn't hurt him from a HOF standpoint. I'm not against him getting in, but I agree, shouldn't be for a while.

I wouldn't want Andreychuk in, and I agree with you, I just think he'll eventually get in on a quiet year in the same way Dino got in too. Still should have had him on the list.

Maybe Andreychuk would have retired years earlier if he had won a Cup. He didn't, and it worked out because he finally got one at 40.

I wouldn't want Andreychuk in, and I agree with you, I just think he'll eventually get in on a quiet year in the same way Dino got in too. Still should have had him on the list.

Maybe Andreychuk would have retired years earlier if he had won a Cup. He didn't, and it worked out because he finally got one at 40.

It was great to see him finally win one...but man did he have to slog his way through a lot of rough years to get it. Impossible to root against a class act like him though, even if he probably hung on way too long.