Rumor: Ducks Shopping Bobby Ryan?

thefiestygoat

Bobby Ryan isn't going anywhere. Randy Carlyle will be the one leaving Anaheim if anyone is going.

That's not going to solve the Ducks' problem, which existed last year and which was why they were beaten in the playoffs by a team that wasn't particularly good themselves - their depth is just horrendous. Plus you've got Jason Blake (who's been hurt all year), Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, and Lubomir Visnovsky all over the age of 35 and possibly ready for retirement.

That's why I think trading Ryan makes sense - if they can get 3 bodies for him, pull the trigger IMO. Something like Berglund, Oshie, and Colaiacavo for Ryan and a prospect would make sense. I don't think the Devils could get him, nor am I sure they should be interested.

The Ducks won the Cup 4 years ago and right now look like a team that might go through an extended rough patch. It's part of what makes the Devils' and Red Wings' runs so remarkable.

Edited by Triumph

I'm ready to put the Devils in past tense now. This isn't 95-00-03 anymore.

That wasn't the point I was making, nor am I ready to do that. My point was that we have seen these teams win Stanley Cups from 2000 on: New Jersey, Colorado, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston. Colorado, Tampa Bay, and Carolina already fell on hard times. Anaheim is getting there. Throw in Ottawa, Dallas, and Toronto, teams that were really good around 2000 who've seen time in the dumps since then. It's really, really hard to stay good in this league.

Only if we're losing Parise would I want it to be considered. I think we could most definitely put a package together, but I dont know how financially sound a move would be.

Ryan is a Jersey kid, but hes a Cherry Hill kid. Its highly possible he identifies with the Flyers rather than the Devils.

Only if we're losing Parise would I want it to be considered. I think we could most definitely put a package together, but I dont know how financially sound a move would be.

I actually think the opposite. Leaving the Devils' finances aside, if they keep Parise, they'll still have a bunch of cap room what with Brodeur and Salvador coming off the books, and they'll be flush with centers/wingers. It might make sense to deal away Henrique, Merrill, and a 1st round pick for Ryan. In theory. If Parise goes, he probably goes for nothing, and now LW isn't the tower of strength it once was.

But in general the Devils don't have the kind of assets for this sort of move.

Ryan is a Jersey kid, but hes a Cherry Hill kid. Its highly possible he identifies with the Flyers rather than the Devils.

I think Ryan kinda grew up all over - Wikipedia says he played on a team as a teenager in Los Angeles, and I think he spent a lot of time in the Toronto area as well.