2012 Fantasy Football Smack Talk

aylbert

Dynamo Nations, New Jersey Swaps, DR, Wack MCs - It's safe to say, you're in the playoffs.

Waiver Wire Whining! - It would take an epic Manta performance and Sworn Defenders win to knock you out.

*#1 Dynamo Nation (8-4, 1280.98) vs #7 MantaRavens (6-6, 1095.92)

Dynamo is playing for fun this week as he likely has a bye tied up even with a loss. A solid 67.58pt lead over 3rd place DR (7-5). Dynamo is likely to post a fun win as he out projects Manta in every position other than the TE matchup (Graham vs Hernandez) and crapshoot kickers (Brant vs Gould). Manta is the key team on the outside that could make things interesting. The easiest path is to just win over Dynamo and have Sworn Defenders lose. But if Sworn Defenders win, Manta needs to win big (outscoring Waiver by 50.12pts) paired with a Waiver Wire loss.

#2 New Jersey Swamps (7-5, 1291.86) vs #5 Waiver Wire Whining! (7-5, 1146.04)

Swamps is in a battle for a playoff bye, while not mathematically locked in yet... it's an easy call (he leads #7 Manta by 195.94) Swamps and Waiver Wire should be involved in a heated contest, with both their QBs involved in NFC East division games. (RG3 vs Giants, Romo vs Eagles). Swamps has upcoming/recent returns in Greg Jennings / Beanie Wells. Waiver Wire at 7-5 is in a good position, but by no means a lock to make the playoffs if he loses. He currently leads #7 Manta by 50.12. If Sworn Defenders win, and Manta wins and overcomes the 50 pt lead of Waiver; Waiver is out. Still, it's a good position to be in for Waiver.

#3 DR (7-5, 1213.40) vs #4 Wack MCs (7-5, 1175.70)

Both of these teams are solid locks for the playoffs; with more points than Waiver... pushing them out of the reach for Manta to overcome. Projections have this game close; with DR relying on some green (AJ Green/Shonn Greene) to put up the points. I'd feely more comfortable going with Wack MC's overall; but DR's Drew Brees could go off on the Thursday showdown vs the Falcons.

#6 Sworn Defenders (6-6, 1208.20) vs #9 Big Blue (6-6, 1025.50)

Sworn Defenders with a win - by any margin, is in the playoffs. Big Blue is in with a win and some luck with Manta and Value both losing. The matchup itself could be a challenge for Big Blue who is currently projected to be behind Sworn Defenders by 37.09. Sworn D are relying on their 1-2 threat of Foster and Martin; and performances from Dez Bryant and Wallace (who has had two sub 1pt games in a row without Big Ben). Overall, the head to head matchups look unfavorable for Big Blue; even with the heavyweight showdown of Rb1's Foster vs Rice. Big Blue has the edge projection wise only in kicker (with Janikowski over Tynes by a point, and Ravens over Rams by a healthy 5.5 pts)

#8 Value = REPEAT!!! (6-6, 1046.22) vs #11 LOTCB (4-8, 1070.54)

Value with a Sworn Defenders and Manta loss, while maintaining his point lead over Big Blue is in... LOTCB is out; but is projected to have a 10pt advantage over Value. Value is riding with Kapenernick at QB who has looked good and is projected to score another 20pts (which he has for the past two weeks). LOTCB though has the advantage in starting WR/RB's highlighted by a CJ combo (Johnson, Spiller) vs Fred Jackson and Vick Ballard. TE/Flex (Johnsons battle it - Stevie vs Andre)/K/DEF are all evenly matched.

#10 Long Island Iced Z (5-7, 1175.40) vs #12 Masked Maurauders (3-9, 1123.66)

And lastly, the match that has no implications. Masked coming off 2 major upsets faces #10 Long Island Iced Z who has plummeted down the standings on a 3 game losing streak. it's Rodgers/Nelson vs Brady/Lloyd, but it really should be a victory for Long Island. Again, that hasn't stopped Masked the past two weeks... but eventually the luck needs to run out.

A couple of tough decisions this week, need some help.

I have Rice, McCoy, and Martin at running back this week. Leaning towards starting Martin and Rice, but considering picking up the Jags new back Jennings for Rice just based on very tough and very easy match ups.

At QB I have Ryan vs NO and Peyton vs Tampa. Leaning towards Peyton as I have with gut check decisions all season. (they've put up very similar numbers nearly every week).

For defense, I have Denver at Tampa, but that looks to be tough. Do I gamble and pick up the Jets or Cowboys who should feast on their opponents? Not sure I trust either of them

edit: by the way, it's a four way tie for 2nd place at 6-6 in a 6 team league. Coming off three wins.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

IN your query, I start Rice and Martin (in a 2 RB league assuming the third is LeSean McCoy) and pick up Jennings only if one of the other two dies in a fire. Not only has Jennings been terrible all year, but if you have any doubts you roll with your studs.

Peyton over Ryan, although you couldn't go wrong either way, but I say Peyton due to the Tampa corner getting a 4 game PED ban and it being a not-division game.

And if you have the roster room I'd pick up the Jets, but I'm not sure I drop the Broncos for it. Jets have good matchups the rest of the way but Broncos have more talent.

Fair point, if I was not a Jets fan, i would agree... but since I have been dieing w/ this team all year, it would just figure that they would choose this week to play...

Of course it is quite funny that a rook shows up and bitch slaps all of you!!

Edited by redruM

lol well we'll see about that last part in the postseason. I outscored the whole league by like 150 points last year in the regular season and got punked in the first playoff game Giants-Packers style :P

As far as the first part, even that wouldn't be as bad as my double whammy last week when Masked had Brady and the Pats' D score 60 on me fantasy-wise :lol: Besides, you have a bye locked up regardless of whether the Jets score 50 on you or not, unless I won 'and' dr somehow made up 80 points on you in a week, and that's not going to happen after Brees s*it the bed last night.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Masked making his mark late in the season, even if he is out of it...

My team was built for this time of year. Shame the schedule just happened to time up good weeks against my good weeks. I looked back and think I was in the top 6 points for several weeks I wound up losing. I think I'd have been 7-5 & fighting it out had I had a less brutal schedule. Ah well. 9-3 in my money league makes this much more palatable.

Your money league is full of wankers

Those are the BEST kind of money leagues to be in.....I remember a one year fantasy football draft that we had to wait 20 minutes because the three dudes were bringing in their kegs and Jager for the draft....we gladly and calmly waited because nothing says instant playoffs like three "bro's" drinkin and donating :)

Hah I could never do a money league, my sanity wouldn't survive it. I get competitive enough with this and other free leagues I've done. Especially years like this where the Jets are out of it and fantasy's the only thing that matters about the rest of the NFL season :P

Agreed 100%, also the reason i NEVER draft players from the Jets, always afraid they will ruin both real foot ball and my fantsay team!!

Hah I could never do a money league, my sanity wouldn't survive it. I get competitive enough with this and other free leagues I've done. Especially years like this where the Jets are out of it and fantasy's the only thing that matters about the rest of the NFL season :P

I only do them because they are work obligations (my main customer has one, and that one year with the drunk broski's was a customer who I had gotten friendly with), but damn when you turn a profit at season's end it's pretty epic... and having Foster, AP, Morris, Reese and Dwyer at RB, I'm in pretty damned good shape.....

I do agree with you guys....its why I tend to draft players from rival teams....if they do well I win, if they don't do well I feel I screwed the real team by drafting them....it's all good-sauce! :evil:

Edited by CRASHER

Agreed 100%, also the reason i NEVER draft players from the Jets, always afraid they will ruin both real foot ball and my fantsay team!!

The few times I have taken a Jet it's been an utter disaster...Favre a few years back, Santonio Holmes last year. Usually they aren't the best option anyway, but I did have that mindset of they'll just crap out on me if I take them when I passed on the Jets' D this year. Too bad they crapped out anyway and I picked an even worse D in the Eagles :P

My defense picks usually don't work out regardless. The only time I had a good one was last year when I picked...the Bears in a late round. They weren't quite as good for me as they have been for you this year but they were still pretty good.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And OF COURSE Bryce Brown kills me tonight and the Cowboys get a gift defensive TD just when I thought I had a chance...the fantasy gods must really hate me, or Fat Andy does :P I swear, Bryce Brown has more points in two games than McCoy did in two months :rant:

Highest scoring team in the league again this year, second-highest scoring team this week and I'll almost certainly finish at 7-6 unless the Giants make RGIII completely dissapear and/or Bennett shows up tomorrow.

red's got the top seed...assuming CRASHER wins tomorrow, he could wind up stealing the second bye being neck and neck in points with WackMC's at 8-5. I'll probably match up with dr in the first round, unless ayl comes back to win (tough sledding for him tomorrow with Tynes-Eli, though he's got a ten-point lead currently).

Edited by NJDevs4978

And a bad swap taking Panthers rather than sticking with Rams D....

There was no way to know what was going to happen Saturday and how the players would react on Sunday to it......I took a similar crapshoot renting the Dallas Defense because of Phily....it got me an Earth-shattering extra ONE point (if I win by one though, Has is gonna kick dogs and small children for a week :P ) ....it happens.....tonight's gonna be one of those high-scoring shootouts though....no doubt.....

It's Eli's turn for a 0td, 5 INT day... Like Matt Ryan a few weeks ago, and Bree's this week :)

I will NEVER complain about an El-I-N-T 5 pick day and a bed being pooped by the Giants....the Redskins don't got the defense to do it though....keep the faith though sir

(much :wub: to Brees for clinching my playoff spot in the money league for me!)

If you win by one, at this point I'll just laugh. The way I've been laughing at the Jet offense.

It is amazing both QB's tonight basically are deciding four playoff seeds (and one spot). I wouldn't put a 10-15 point game for Eli out of the realm some weeks, but against a bad Skins defense it might be a little tough unless Bradshaw hogs all the offense somehow.