‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Still not getting it, the Pens are a huge "since 2006" fanbase. They were drawing like the Pirates.

Yeah, but we've been an elite franchise, more or less, for 18 years, and we still draw like the Pirates.

Minnesota is a non-factor. If he wants to go there, he wants to go there, it would be a decision based of "where I want to live" more than it would be "where I want to play hockey".

Still not getting it, the Pens are a huge "since 2006" fanbase. They were drawing like the Pirates.

Well they also have the backing of the NHL and NBC so they're pushed tremendously. If Cam Janssen signed with Pittsburgh Pierre McGuire, the TSN, NBC and NHL network hacks would all be lauding him as the missing piece in the cup dynasty. Paul Martin has been persona non-grata since joining the Pens, but he was supposed to be the piece that pushed them over the edge into greatness. He's been a big bust, but you never hear about him or the guys who sh!t the bed on that roster. Why? Because it doesn't play into the narrative that the Pens are hockey's equivalent to the Chicago Bulls of the nineties. Once Zach signs(he will, he's a douche) with the Pens, he'll get his own NHL 36, spotlights on him during intermission, Selke consideration, product endorsements, all that. He won't get that with New Jersey. I've been saying it all season long: New Jersey doesn't fit the narrative to bring in the big bucks. The Pens are the golden boys.

Only for the Steelers otherwise it's only if the team is winning.

I spent my freshman year in college in the Pittsburgh area. The Pens definitely have their hardocre die-hards, no doubt about it. But you're right- the Steelers are the only team in that town that can lose at will and still sell out every game. I was able to buy a ticket for a Pens-Flames game at the Igloo 10 rows off the ice for $10 30 minutes before game time back in '98. No joke.

And they're likely going to continue to draw as long as Crosby and co. are there. Its not like they're going to dip down to those levels anytime soon. I get that Pittsburgh is "what have you done for me lately", but what city is Zach considering going to that isn't?

What is there not to get? Pittsburgh is CURRENTLY a great town for hockey and don't look to be dropping off. Detroit are good at re-loading but have trouble drawing because the economy there sucks. We have a good or a bad team and dont draw for sh!t. This is still the franchise that had trouble selling out Finals games the day of in 2003. You're lucky to get a ticket from the box office in Pittsburgh these days.

Yeah, but we've been an elite franchise, more or less, for 18 years, and we still draw like the Pirates.

No, it's pretty much the same year to year. They don't have years where they have to fudge constant 5K gates. The Pens are boom or bust, they either pack the place every night or play to crickets.

Well they also have the backing of the NHL and NBC so they're pushed tremendously. If Cam Janssen signed with Pittsburgh Pierre McGuire, the TSN, NBC and NHL network hacks would all be lauding him as the missing piece in the cup dynasty. Paul Martin has been persona non-grata since joining the Pens, but he was supposed to be the piece that pushed them over the edge into greatness. He's been a big bust, but you never hear about him or the guys who sh!t the bed on that roster. Why? Because it doesn't play into the narrative that the Pens are hockey's equivalent to the Chicago Bulls of the nineties. Once Zach signs(he will, he's a douche) with the Pens, he'll get his own NHL 36, spotlights on him during intermission, Selke consideration, product endorsements, all that. He won't get that with New Jersey. I've been saying it all season long: New Jersey doesn't fit the narrative to bring in the big bucks. The Pens are the golden boys.

conspiracy-e1299119245454.jpg

And they're likely going to continue to draw as long as Crosby and co. are there. Its not like they're going to dip down to those levels anytime soon. I get that Pittsburgh is "what have you done for me lately", but what city is Zach considering going to that isn't?

What is there not to get? Pittsburgh is CURRENTLY a great town for hockey and don't look to be dropping off. Detroit are good at re-loading but have trouble drawing because the economy there sucks. We have a good or a bad team and dont draw for sh!t. This is still the franchise that had trouble selling out Finals games the day of in 2003. You're lucky to get a ticket from the box office in Pittsburgh these days.

What there is to get is that you are a whining defeatist that is looking for whining excuses before anything has even happened. Everyone knew what the reality of this was over a year in advance.

They probably can't afford to throw him $25M over the course of 12 months. Oh well. It has little to do with how many asses are in the seats because I am goddamn sure the Pens also don't have a $25M TV contract.

I am sure that talking with his fiance one of her top concerns is "where" they will be living for the next 10+ years. I can see why people who are not from the NJ area might not want to live here, heck I am not even that big a fan of the state and I was born here. It's a big decision, but a sh!tload of money makes anything easier.

Come again? Ppl don't want to live near NYC? Doubt that very much. Living in northern NJ is a major advantage over Detroit, pitt, and philthy.

Come again? Ppl don't want to live near NYC? Doubt that very much. Living in northern NJ is a major advantage over Detroit, pitt, and philthy.

They're going to live in Minnesota. Kovy's family lives in Florida. Hedberg's still lives in Atlanta.

More often than not, the players with the giant contracts don't settle in the area where the team plays.

Where the team is doesn't matter to Zach. It comes down to money and how good he expects the team to be.

The more I think about it the more I like the Semin as a plan B option. Semin has a better PPG and +/- statistics than Parise. Plus I think he could buy into PDB's system. Remember when everyone said the exact same "lazy Russian" crap about Kovy? Plus I haven't heard any teams being interested in Semin.

Kovy-Zajac-Semin

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Clarkson-Josefson-Skyora

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

That line up doesn't make everyone happy?

Edited by TheMazz

Pittsburgh is a great city for sports. I can't sh!t on it. I really enjoyed it there. They'll embrace him. He will also be rich, so its not like he'd be living in 8 Mile if he went to Motown. The Detroit suburbs are not downtown. He plays in Newark right now for fvcks sake lol.

So when it comes to detroit and Pitt you discount where the arena is and only look at living in the suburbs, but with jersey you focus on the where the arena is?

"If you're winning" goes for just about every single sports city in this country, and even more so for hockey. Pittsburgh isn't beautiful, there are parts that are, but its hardly a DMZ or the worst place you can consider going. Again, he's currently playing in NEWARK. Just about any city with hockey in this country is a step up from that. Newark is still a sh!thole for the most part. As is Detroit. But he doesnt live in Newark and he wont be living in Detroit.

So what the fvck is your point then

What there is to get is that you are a whining defeatist that is looking for whining excuses before anything has even happened. Everyone knew what the reality of this was over a year in advance.

They probably can't afford to throw him $25M over the course of 12 months. Oh well. It has little to do with how many asses are in the seats because I am goddamn sure the Pens also don't have a $25M TV contract.

Who's being a defeatist? And who's whining? I've felt Zach was walking since January. You're starting a stupid argument because I said "Pittsburgh was a good town for sports". Just about every single sportswriter in the country would agree with that. You're making it sound like Pittsburgh is the worst place on the planet he can go to.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

#9 in the entire league for value of franchise. Us? Try #20. Its not even a contest.

conspiracy-e1299119245454.jpg

Come off it, Mate. I like you, Daniel, but you have to believe that the powers that be have a little hand in what happens and how it develops. This is, after all, a business. Isn't Sid the Skid's deal in the 12 year, 100 million dollar range. Weren't these type of deals frowned upon after Marian Hossa and the Kovalchuk deal. Yet, not an eyebrow is raised in connection with this signing.

You're ridiculous. You don't want to use pre 2006 pens as comparison but you can use 2003 meadowlands?

Do you also not know that our ST base is going up every year along with our atmosphere and chance of winning?

lol at people actually thinking quality of city or sellout crowds matter. If Zach wanted rabid fan support and attention, why not a Canadian team? They're sure to sell out or close to it every year even with bad teams. And it's not like Zach's living in the Newark slums.

Look at all the teams rumored to get him - Pittsburgh, Detroit, Philly, Minnesota. Three of them are contenders offering $80-100 million with a lot of frontloaded money in at least a couple of those deals. The other's a courtesy call because they're the hometown team. and then there's us, we're probably offering between mid 70's and low 80's without as much front-loaded money. They still have to spend $10 million in real dollars to get up to the cap. How much more can they spend on frontloading a Zach deal the next two years? If there weren't money issues they wouldn't be making Marty and Moose wait around (Sal's waiting around because we might need to trade a d-man to get a forward if Zach walks).

Basically we have the lowest offer and not exceptionally more of a chance to win than any of the teams on the list, probably equal to or less than all but Minnesota (assuming Detroit does get Suter also which I still expect them to). If he's staying it'll be for 'other' reasons. We just have to hope they outweigh nearly $20 million.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Who's being a defeatist? And who's whining? I've felt Zach was walking since January. You're starting a stupid argument because I said "Pittsburgh was a good town for sports". Just about every single sportswriter in the country would agree with that. You're making it sound like Pittsburgh is the worst place on the planet he can go to.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

#9 in the entire league for value of franchise. Us? Try #20. Its not even a contest.

Now switch to revenue. Not so much of a difference considering that was off last season's lost year. We will out revenue them this year.

Of course the Devils valuation crashed, they're in debt up to their eyeballs.

You're ridiculous. You don't want to use pre 2006 pens as comparison but you can use 2003 meadowlands?

Do you also not know that our ST base is going up every year along with our atmosphere and chance of winning?

The ST's ain't going up next year if Zach walks and the team finishes in a borderline playoff spot/out of the postseason with Marty and Lou one year closer to retirement. Not to mention there are a million FA's next year. You thought this year was a barrel of laughs just wait till Zajac/Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson are all up, and we need to find a goalie.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You think this STH base/atmosphere is going to keep up if we don't keep winning? We're the worst franchise in the league right now for debt. Worse than even Phoenix.

What does pre-2006 Pens have to do with now? They are not going to fall apart any time soon. If they start sucking, that very well may happen, but does anyone expect the Pens not to be contending with or without Zach on their roster?

Come off it, Mate. I like you, Daniel, but you have to believe that the powers that be have a little hand in what happens and how it develops. This is, after all, a business. Isn't Sid the Skid's deal in the 12 year, 100 million dollar range. Weren't these type of deals frowned upon after Marian Hossa and the Kovalchuk deal. Yet, not an eyebrow is raised in connection with this signing.

With the Crosby contract, the big thing you are missing of course is that there was an amendment to the CBA which defined the boundaries of the long-term/front loaded deals. That's why there isn't an issue with Crosby's deal or any other one since the summer of 2010.

The Pittsburgh/Crosby gushing comes from the talking heads more than anything. It's irritating, but that's about it. There's no plan by the league to give them all the breaks.

The one thing I do wonder about though is whether the league would have challenged the Kovy contract had he signed with Pittsburgh or the Rangers. I said I thought so at the time, but as I look back on it, I was being idiotic.

The more I think about it the more I like the Semin as a plan B option. Semin has a better PPG and +/- statistics than Parise. Plus I think he could buy into PDB's system. Remember when everyone said the exact same "lazy Russian" crap about Kovy? Plus I haven't heard any teams being interested in Semin.

Kovy-Zajac-Semin

Elias-Henrique-Zubrus

Clarkson-Josefson-Skyora

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

That line up doesn't make everyone happy?

I like it, but I'd still prefer Jagr. I think a Czech line would be pretty sweet.

You think this STH base/atmosphere is going to keep up if we don't keep winning? We're the worst franchise in the league right now for debt. Worse than even Phoenix.

The Dodgers, Cubs, Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars all went into bankruptcy and were awful "for debt." They're all doing pretty well right now financially.

Even the Stars, who are a very average team with even worse attendance then the Devils in an arena they don't own, apparently are doing well enough that they could make Parise some kind of offer.

I like it, but I'd still prefer Jagr. I think a Czech line would be pretty sweet.

Maybe a Czech line that doesn't need walkers.

Edited by Daniel

The ST's ain't going up next year if Zach walks and the team finishes in a borderline playoff spot/out of the postseason with Marty and Lou one year closer to retirement. Not to mention there are a million FA's next year. You thought this year was a barrel of laughs just wait till Zajac/Elias/Zubrus/Clarkson are all up, and we need to find a goalie.

I'm concerned about Zajac, but that's about it. Elias and Zubrus aren't getting any younger. Losing Clarkson would suck, but I think Clarkson is a pretty loyal guy. Losing Elias and Zubrus at this time in their careers is not as bad as losing Parise in his prime.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.