NJDevs "Fanatsy" - Smack talk

aylbert

comparable scenario or not, thems be the hard knocks. If we make an exception, you drop him, pick him up in week 12 and he comes out on fire winning you a few games and gets you in the playoffs that doesn't exactly seem fair either. Why are you supposed to get the exception? Because you drafted Manning? His injury was known about coming out of the lockout. You took a chance on drafting him and now you can take a chance on stashing him on the bench or letting someone else get him...I say we just wait on it and vote next year :D

if you have the depth, you keep him on your roster and stash him away in hopes he comes back in time for the fantasy playoffs. If you don't you drop him and hope no one else gets him. You can't make special rules just because the team IRL isn't doing what you think they should do and putting him on IR. If thats the case then I want to drop Roy Helu and no one is allowed to pick him up. Until the first game he does really well, then I want to retroactively add him and put him in for that game he did well...

This is a horrible analogy.

No, if you drop someone they go to the free agency pool... and you can then pick them up and they are a 15th round for keeper - they don't retain their draft position (only in a trade does it transfer)

Except with the "Brady Rule"

comparable scenario or not, thems be the hard knocks. If we make an exception, you drop him, pick him up in week 12 and he comes out on fire winning you a few games and gets you in the playoffs that doesn't exactly seem fair either. Why are you supposed to get the exception? Because you drafted Manning? His injury was known about coming out of the lockout. You took a chance on drafting him and now you can take a chance on stashing him on the bench or letting someone else get him...I say we just wait on it and vote next year :D

Isn't a player who has an "O" next to his name eligible to be put into an IR spot on the fantasy team? That's what I was talking about the NFL & the Fantasy world should do with him. There should be an "O" next to his name, making him Fantasy IR slot eligible. The cases I referenced earlier were similar to that.

Oh I know...it was supposed to be a horrible and exaggerated analogy, the encompassing point was that changing the rules to benefit one player in the league because they happen to be in a bad spot with a pick just doesn't make sense (again especially because we knew of the injury prior to him being drafted...sure it was less severe but thats why you take a chance, high risk, high reward)...and I have no problem if the co-missioner (in my best Joker voice) can alter Manning's status so he can be put in the IR, but then again, if he goes there he stays there...I've got Colston, who will probably be out for quite a few weeks, and I'm not complaining about my WR corp or being able to drop him and only I can pick him back up later...its the chances we take and its the nature of the game...

If we are going to make a rule change or whatever then at least make it a rule change that everyone can benefit from (i.e. if a guy is out for an extended amount of time allow a temp benching on the IR spot) not just an "I drafted this guy who was injured but now he's going to miss a lot more time than I thought and the team won't put him on the IR so i can't and if I drop him someone else might take a chance on him." rule... :)

Oh I know...it was supposed to be a horrible and exaggerated analogy, the encompassing point was that changing the rules to benefit one player in the league because they happen to be in a bad spot with a pick just doesn't make sense (again especially because we knew of the injury prior to him being drafted...sure it was less severe but thats why you take a chance, high risk, high reward)...and I have no problem if the co-missioner (in my best Joker voice) can alter Manning's status so he can be put in the IR, but then again, if he goes there he stays there...I've got Colston, who will probably be out for quite a few weeks, and I'm not complaining about my WR corp or being able to drop him and only I can pick him back up later...its the chances we take and its the nature of the game...

If we are going to make a rule change or whatever then at least make it a rule change that everyone can benefit from (i.e. if a guy is out for an extended amount of time allow a temp benching on the IR spot) not just an "I drafted this guy who was injured but now he's going to miss a lot more time than I thought and the team won't put him on the IR so i can't and if I drop him someone else might take a chance on him." rule... :)

Colston SHOULD be "OUT" and eligible to be put on IR. You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD be allowed to put him in the IR spot. Why, oh why, are these guys not designated "O" next to their names???

I am NOT for playing favorites as you imply. I expect the commish to be able to make rationale (ok I know it's crasher, but he even he should see the rationalization here) calls like should be done for Manning AND Colston. MOREOVER though Yahoo Fantasy should have an "O" designation for both of them so you guys can replace them properly.

Why is this so hard??? You guys drafted these players, their status is "NOT PLAYING" you guys should be allowed to IR them and p/u a replacement themn drop someone the day your guy steps onto the field for a game.

So.... what? Manning isn't on IR??? That's F'd Up! That is EXTREMELY F'd up actually. The fantasy site should definitely be giving him an IR designation. If I were commish, I'd allow him to be dropped and picked up only by you until the day after he steps onto the field or when he gets an IR label on the site, then he would be put into the waiver pool (aka "thrown to the wolves" in our current format) if you chose NOT to pick him back up. (I've had to do similar stuff in my league where I am commish before)

Either way, his "keeper kost" (kk) should absolutely be whatever rd he was drafted in.

How much managing do we really need for this league?

Keep track of Keeper Costs? I mean really?

I say grow of set of fantasy balls: If one of my guys goes down for 8 weeks and I cannot IR him, well tough crossiants (since CRASHER now thinks I eat them for breakfast, CMON!!)

:eyeroll:

We've reached a new low....let's bitch about how yahoo does things too :P

Yahoo ONLY makes a player IR eligible for a player who is on IR for the NFL...that's it :noclue:

I will say this, and this is the EXACT reason you have waiver period on add/drops.....if he cuts Manning the waiver vultures get to attack....if not we can have a convo like this "Hey Laflamme....you need a QB, right?? Here I'll cut Kolb and you take him....ready....GO!!"

A waiver period prevents that

Amazing how I can figure that out with a concrete brain you "geniuses" can't B )

OK crash(er) line what do we have ... let's see...

How much managing do we really need for this league?

Keep track of Keeper Costs? I mean really?

I say grow of set of fantasy balls: If one of my guys goes down for 8 weeks and I cannot IR him, well tough crossiants (since CRASHER now thinks I eat them for breakfast, CMON!!)

Doesn't seem to me to be too big a deal to "manage" special situations like aylbert and UDX , have with their two high value players (and anyone else it happens to)

aylbert already does keep track of kk smilydev.gif I like that, kk.

Fantasy balls? urg.gif You livin in SanFran?? Anyway, yeah, we'll all obviously live with everything the way Herr Crasher wants to do it. I'm good with it, just throwing the option out there for him to shoot down or run with.

I have no problem with either scenario...either temp IR when a player is listed as "out" or just tough it out and make a decision to drop him or stash him...

I see you see the logic in it. I concur with this statement.

:eyeroll:

We've reached a new low....let's bitch about how yahoo does things too :P

Yahoo ONLY makes a player IR eligible for a player who is on IR for the NFL...that's it :noclue:

I will say this, and this is the EXACT reason you have waiver period on add/drops.....if he cuts Manning the waiver vultures get to attack....if not we can have a convo like this "Hey Laflamme....you need a QB, right?? Here I'll cut Kolb and you take him....ready....GO!!"

A waiver period prevents that

Amazing how I can figure that out with a concrete brain you "geniuses" can't B )

Really? an eyeroll? You like the way Yahoo calls this? ok. I don't, they could EASILY list players in these situations as "out". They actually EMPLOY people to cover this stuff. I offered up a solution. Enjoy your monarchy. worthy.gif

Glad to see you understand one of the basic perks of the waiver system. Of course, that little nugget of 411 gold was never in question by anyone. Thanks for the M.O.T.O. moment though.

And no one ever said the concrete had a brain in it. tongue.gif

Really? an eyeroll? You like the way Yahoo calls this? ok. I don't, they could EASILY list players in these situations as "out". They actually EMPLOY people to cover this stuff. I offered up a solution. Enjoy your monarchy. worthy.gif

Glad to see you understand one of the basic perks of the waiver system. Of course, that little nugget of 411 gold was never in question by anyone. Thanks for the M.O.T.O. moment though.

And no one ever said the concrete had a brain in it. tongue.gif

So wait, you DO realize there are something you can't change even as a commish right???

I can't change player injury statuses (though that power would be neat)...that would be like me saying...well Vick sucks as a QB...let me list and play him as a RB (or Teebow as well)....it doesn't work that way, let me say it again...nice and slow and in big letters

I ..... can....NOT....change....the IR ....settings....that ....yahoo ....has.....

period!!! No way around it, no commissioner wise-ass unlimited power comments here....it is how and what it is, and there ain't a damn thing I can do about it, pissing and moaning and 5th grade name calling ain't gonna change it.....hopefully when Brian comes back around or ANYONE who's run a yahoo league can go in and see the same damn thing.....it's out of my hands ....this type of thing happens EVERY year (see Ryan Grant also)...it sucks, but that's your options...keep a dead roster spot until the Colts are 1-6 and IR Peyton, or let him go to the vultures.....I don't know how much more in plain English I can make it, should I call up one of my foreigners to speak it in a second language so you can maintain ignorance on this???

(and also even when a player IS put on IR, it's not "official" until that Wednesday, which gives you the same "dead spot issue" )

I knew the risks of drafting Manning would include a delayed start, risk of re-injury, or off-timing play etc. I'm fine with this. However, it's quite clear the Colts won't bring Manning back unless they are in contention for the playoffs. Which is why they didn't IR him. I'm not looking to claim Manning all to myself. I want to be drop him, and anyone who wants him can pick him up with the hopes he plays in week 12, etc. I am just asking can he retain his value as a 2nd rounder. I shouldn't have to hold on to Manning just to prevent someone from keeping Manning for a 15th next year. If we didn't have FA's worth a 15th for keeper, he'd already be dropped. That's all I'm asking for. Not to redesign Yahoo's IR system, position system, etc :P

BTW, you can't claim your own waivers... so to get your stud 1st rounder for a 15th... he has to first clear waivers, then you have to add him back add as a free agent. No loophole there :P

Edited by aylbert

Yeah aylbert, your question posed was just ignored by the commish or he just didn't see it while throwing one of his fits and arguing points off topic.

So can we rule Manning under the Brady rule and make him ineligble to be kept as a free agent?

He's a dead roster spot to me... he won't be put on IR, but will be out months and likely the season if the Colts aren't in contention...

but if I drop him, someone else could pick him up and keep him for a 15th...

This also brings up why this is messed up. The colts should just list him as "Out". Why aren't they doing that? I get that they are not putting him on IR to be able to use him this season, but it looks like the NFL doesn't still list people as Out, Doubtful, Questionable and Probable? A thing from the new contract??? I see they're using Did Not Practice and Limited Participation in Practice now, but their own injury news says WR Marques Colston did not practice Thursday as he recovers from surgery to repair a fractured right collarbone and is expected to miss at least four games.(Yahoo! Sports)

This SHOULD mean they make the player OUT and the owner can IR him. Just cause the NFL uses IR differently now, doesn't mean fantasy football cant still use it. Does it??

To be fair I see NO OUT designations anywhere, even on obvious people like Marques above. C'mon Yahoo! Fix this sh!t. (Not you crasher, we know you are powerless, Yahoo)

So wait, you DO realize there are something you can't change even as a commish right???

Holy crap. doh1.gif You rant and rant over NON ISSUES. I didn't say YOU should change his status. I sed YAHOO should, or the Colts should, or YOU could make a commish call and tell the league these guys are being considered IR and off limits to the rest of us until the day they come back and the owners don't pick them back up, then they would be up for grabs.

Your B.S. "Vick is a RB now" story, ...what a waste of keystrokes that was. Who ever brought anything like that up? We're talking about an obvious thing where a guy is hurt, can not play, yet he is a dead spot on a fantasy roster instead of fairly being allowed to be placed into an IR spot since he is OUT

looky here at this

CLV_logo-20x20.gif Cleveland Browns at Indianapolis Colts IND_logo-20x20.gifNamePositionInjuryPractice StatusGame StatusCLVTitus BrownLBAnkleDid Not Participate In Practice--Eric HaggSKneeDid Not Participate In Practice--Tony PashosTAnkleDid Not Participate In Practice--Mohamed MassaquoiWRHamstringFull Participation in Practice--Carlton MitchellWRFingerFull Participation in Practice--Dimitri PattersonCBAnkleFull Participation in Practice--Jason PinkstonTKneeFull Participation in Practice--T.J. WardSHamstringFull Participation in Practice--Usama YoungSHamstringFull Participation in Practice--INDBrody EldridgeTEKneeDid Not Participate In Practice--Eric FosterDTKneeDid Not Participate In Practice--Blair WhiteWRBackDid Not Participate In Practice--Tyler BraytonDEKneeFull Participation in Practice--Dwight FreeneyDENot Injury RelatedFull Participation in Practice--Anthony GonzalezWRHamstringFull Participation in Practice--Reggie WayneWRNot Injury RelatedFull Participation in Practice--Kavell ConnerLBFootLimited Participation in Practice--Robert MathisDENeckLimited Participation in Practice--Gary BrackettLBShoulderOut (Definitely Will Not Play)--Peyton ManningQBNeckOut (Definitely Will Not Play)--Ernie SimsLBKneeOut (Definitely Will Not Play)--

That should definitely translate into fantasy football as "O" and therefore be able to be put on a fantasy rosters IR spot (No Crasher, I did not just tell YOU to out him on IR, I sed YAHOO SHOULD designate him as OUT)

Here's another beaut...

Colts owner: Peyton Manning will be out “awhile”

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 8, 2011, 9:17 AM EDTj-irsayoutof-car.jpg?w=148

Getty Images

The news about Peyton Manning’s injury is going to get worse before it gets better.

The latest from Colts information director/owner Jim Irsay,via Twitter:

“NFL Season opens 2nite!We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season.#18′s out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE,” Irsay wrote.

That followed up a tweet on Wednesday night from Irsay that said Manning hasn’t had another surgery, and that the Colts would add information and clarity to the situation soon.

This much is clear: Manning’s injury is not going to be a one or two week problem. This is going to take “awhile.”

If it is so easy to say he is out, yahoo should have no issue designating him out

(and also even when a player IS put on IR, it's not "official" until that Wednesday, which gives you the same "dead spot issue" )

OK, you got me here, I do not see why you mention this? Do you not think UDX and Ayl wouldn't be pleased to put their guy on IR on Wednesday and pick up a replacement for the upcoming weekend? It DOES NOT give you the same dead spot issue for the WEEKS that these guys are going to be unavailable for their owners to use. How can you possibly say that? The problem would be resolved as soon as he goes IR and gets replaced.

Now, calm down crasher, take some deep breathes, have a snack and re-read this post or even the whole thread. Clear your head and see that there are valid points being brought up, and (almost) no one is crying like a 5th grader.

Now, calm down crasher, take some deep breathes, have a snack and re-read this post or even the whole thread. Clear your head and see that there are valid points being brought up, and (almost) no one is crying like a 5th grader.

But see, they're NOT...they're idiotic childish whinings about a system that is how it is and how it's always been, it's not like the system was all of a sudden changed and OMG I'M STUCK WITH A DEAD PLAYER....that was part of the RISK in taking Manning in the first place.....the bed was made....the pick was wasted.... time to lie in it

You sit here and call me on everything under the damn moon (for the record NONE of this is happening in my other two leagues and they all had someone take a chance on 18 also)....and when I go, "don't care ....it's in the rules....table it till off-season....or if it was THAT important you should have mentioned it BEFORE the season began", and then I'm being "stubborn and closed minded"....I do NOT believe in making changes in the rules and formats during the season and I WON'T, the system should be the same from the first snap until the championship is handed back to me.....THEN you can discuss this in committee, I've said it over and over and over again, and the more I say it the more YOU come back with insults and childish talk and then YOU wonder why I get pissed off about it??

So quit your bitching and make sure you put your damn Quarterback in the starting lineup this week :P

Out is out... there is no temp IR in football. Again, I'm not asking for this.

I took a gamble on Manning, I lost. I'm fine with this.

The only thing I am asking for is... can we make it so Manning is not able to be kept next year for a 15th rounder? That is the only thing I am asking for. I don't want any benefits to me to reserve Manning, anyone can have him for this year. I just want to be able to get Manning off my roster and not give someone Manning for "free" next year.

Keeping a player on my roster who will have likely no fantasy impact is a handicap to my team. I gain no benefit for keeping him on my team for "next year" becuase he was 2nd round choice. However, if his cost was a 15th rounder next year -- I'm fvcking giddy and happy to have a "dead" spot.

Why is it up to me to "protect" Manning from falling to another teanm for a 15th round next year? If someone wants to gamble he will play at the end of the year, let them gamble. But the benefit shouldn't carry over to next year.

Edited by aylbert

Dropped. Figure it out I guess. It would be complete bs if someone can keep him for a 15th. I don't think the Colts will play him if their season is shot by the time he's healthy in 2-3 mos min. Why rush back and risk an elite talent just to play meaningless football? I'm fine with someone grabbing him to play for this year... but it would be sh!tty to be able to keep him as a FA.

Edited by aylbert

... a system that is how it is and how it's always been, it's not like the system was all of a sudden changed

You sit here and call me on everything under the damn moon

Actually, it did change. As I wrote above (maybe you didn't read it twice as I suggested whistling.gif ) There are no more O, D, Q, P. Now they are using DNP, LPP, FPP, and "Out Definitely will not play". I believe this last one would have been the equivalent in the past to allowed you to put that player into an IR slot.

I think last year these players, ODWNP, would have had the "O" next to their names on fantasy sites. For example, I looked at some WR's and Logan Payne & Sammie Stroughter are listed as ODWNP but still don't have an "O" next to their names making them eligible for an IR roster spot.

So, yeah, I'd say something changed.

Most of this thread, I believe, is made up of posts correcting you on what appear to be misunderstandings of how the waiver wire works, not whinings to your highness to change something you can't.

Out is out... there is no temp IR in football.

...anymore...

... can we make it so Manning is not able to be kept next year for a 15th rounder?

Reasonable. I believe crasher himself coined the Brady Rule did he not? Looks like a candidate for it to me. I agree that whether he plays this year or not he should kk a 2nd rounder next year

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Actually, it did change. As I wrote above (maybe you didn't read it twice as I suggested whistling.gif ) There are no more O, D, Q, P. Now they are using DNP, LPP, FPP, and "Out Definitely will not play". I believe this last one would have been the equivalent in the past to allowed you to put that player into an IR slot.

Not to confuse things. But Yahoo never supported this. If a player was out, he was just on your bench. When Yahoo added the keeper tag, they added the availability of IR slot in football... so this way you could keep a player who went to IR. But you could only put IR's in the IR slot... not the "O"'s.

It's Friday... I wasn't going to wait any longer and "hope" Matt Hasselbeck or Alex Smith were still around to replace Manning O.o yuck.

Edited by aylbert

That's one of the reasons I went to espn years ago.

Good move dumping Peyton, even if he comes back this year he's going to get owned.

Now, have you learned your lesson about gambling young man!?

Now, have you learned your lesson about gambling young man!?

Know your risks... I feel I did this well drafting Freeman.

You don't win every gamble, but you should know the odds :D

The September surgery was a bit of an unknown... the rumor for needing it didn't come out until he was already drafted.

I don't have time to get into this crap now, but where exactly was the league-wide indignation and wanting special exemptions that don't exist when I got stuck with Romo for two months last year after he got hurt and the Cowboys refused to put him on IR in a hopeless cause?!

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't have time to get into this crap now, but where exactly was the league-wide indignation when I got stuck with Romo for two months last year when the Cowboys refused to put him on IR in a hopeless cause?!

I know you're out of the country. I'm not complaining my QB is injured... I just wanted the ability to drop him without gifting him to someone else for a 15th rounder next year.

I don't have time to get into this crap now, but where exactly was the league-wide indignation and wanting special exemptions that don't exist when I got stuck with Romo for two months last year after he got hurt and the Cowboys refused to put him on IR in a hopeless cause?!

1st off, that would have been up to you to mention that, no?

And I thought it odd he wasn't IR-able. Again, the suggestion I made was just that, it was something we did in another league to compensate for the inept fantasy site and their lack of common sense.

I think Romo should have gotten a similar thing. As I also stated, I was unaware the IR thing was nonexistent last year as well as this year. dontknow.gif

And according to crasher, you are wrong about the indignation being league wide, it is just a couple whining 5th graders from the nearby elementary school. 2hf0z9w.gif

I didn't make a big stink about it because I wasn't asking for a rule change in-season just because it didn't benefit me at the time.

Sounds like you think it is ridiculous that the guy can't be Fantasy IR'd too. whistling.gif