Russian player dies after headshot in Kazakhstan hockey league

SterioDesign

I'm really curious to see/learn of the nature of the hit..it couldn't have been just an 'illegal hit'.  He must've been assaulted

I recall reading that the player making the hit did not face any discipline.  Apparently it was completely accidental. 

I'm really curious to see/learn of the nature of the hit..it couldn't have been just an 'illegal hit'.  He must've been assaulted

I think you are underestimating the seriousness of head trauma. Players who get hit hard to the head and make out with "only" minor brain damage (concussions) are the lucky ones. Hit in the wrong spot or with some kind of unknown pre-existing condition and it can do a wide range of serious damage, including causing paralysis, memory loss, etc., or even death. Hits to the head are no joke. That's why the NHL has been starting to take them more seriously. I just hope it doesn't take something like this happening to an NHL player for them to really make headshots a thing of the past. This is a very sad story indeed.

I think you are underestimating the seriousness of head trauma. Players who get hit hard to the head and make out with "only" minor brain damage (concussions) are the lucky ones. Hit in the wrong spot or with some kind of unknown pre-existing condition and it can do a wide range of serious damage, including causing paralysis, memory loss, etc., or even death. Hits to the head are no joke. That's why the NHL has been starting to take them more seriously. I just hope it doesn't take something like this happening to an NHL player for them to really make headshots a thing of the past. This is a very sad story indeed.

True. I am very curious about the scenario though. I would have to think he hit the back of his head at some point? I've always though it was possible, if you wear your helmet too loosely, that it could slip far enough up, to leave the base of your skull vulnerable. Just a thought. I guess his helmet could have just come off, which has been the case in most hockey related fatalities, helmetless, hits back of head on ground after a fight, etc.

That was not a headshot. It was absolutely legal game episode between all the other regular episodes. Even after video review, nothing illegal was found. That player had problems with his health before that. And if it's true, that was the reason KHL teams refused to sign him. Actually I'm not sure if it is connected at all, because Uchaikin finished the game, and died much later. I'm so sorry for Kumeliauskas, because he's Lithuanian, who plays in Kazakhstan, and was that guy, with whom collided Uchaikin (RIP). He said, that it's hard to read that stuff with his name included, when it was an absolutely ordinary game episode