Marek zidlicky traded to Devils.

JRZYRIPPER

Unfortunately I don't like this trade. I don't think Zidlicky gives us that much more than what we had already with Foster, and to also give up Palmieri and a 2nd to boot is really overpaying, especially considering Zidlicky is making a huge salary for a player of his talents. We essentially did Minny a favor while giving them a nice return in the process.

Would you really feel comfortable throwing Kurtis Foster out for a regular shift in the playoffs? The guy is a total disaster on the back end. He helped the power play, but either NJ was going to have to dress 7 D or take their chances with a guy that couldn't be trusted late in games.

I don't know who Zidlicky was willing to waive his NTC for, but Chicago is desperate for a d-man and probably would've given up a similar package.

I've watched Zidlicky in Nashville and before he changed his last name pronunciation from Zid-litsh-ky to Zid-lick-y. Dude's been a bust the past two years and only managed to play half the season to boot.

And the fact that Lemaire spoke highly of Zidlicky doesn't ease my skepticism since I'm pretty sure Lemaire was consulted on Skoula as well.

You haven't watched enough. MZ has been on the Wild for 4 years. If he can even inch close to numbers from 2 years ago its worth it.

2005-06 Nashville Predators NHL 67 12 37 49 82 8 2 0 1 1 2

2006-07 Nashville Predators NHL 79 4 26 30 72 8 5 0 2 2 4

2007-08 Nashville Predators NHL 79 5 38 43 63 -5 6 0 3 3 8

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 76 12 30 42 76 -12 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Minnesota Wild NHL 78 6 37 43 67 -16 -- -- -- -- --

2010-11 Minnesota Wild NHL 46 7 17 24 30 -6 -- -- -- -- --

2011-12 Minnesota Wild NHL 40 0 13 13 22 -7

Its important to note that the fact that this guy is NOT a liability like some of the other #6/7 acquisitions at EVEN STRENGTH is the key. He's a 20 minute player unlike a MAB.

The arrogance of saying Lou makes "dumb" trades after the recent trades:

1.) Salvador for a fighter who is a liability on the ice,

2.) Elite forward for an overpaid #/45 Defensman, 1st, a washout Prospect and Cormier

3.) Poni for a 4th

4.) PL3 for ANYTHING????!!!!!

I'll give you that the signings have been pretty feast or famine, but as far as trades if these strike you as "dumb" perhaps you might want to stick to the clever JPEGS and SIGS. (just kidding!) :giggle:

Edited by DevilinLA

I don't like the second and I don't like $4mm next year. I am not as angry as I first was but don't think this is that great.

This move clearly only works if Zidlicky returns to be a top tier puck mover. Then we are paying a top 2 d-man 4 mill a year. Chances of that happening...????

Not surprised at this either:

Michelle Kenneth ‏@MichelleKenneth Lemaire was one of the deciding factors in going after Zidlicky. Lou was happy w/ Lemaire's reports.

I like to give credit where credit is due:

I have an odd feeling Lemaire encouraged this move.

clap.gif

Edited by ben00rs
  • Like 1

Would you really feel comfortable throwing Kurtis Foster out for a regular shift in the playoffs? The guy is a total disaster on the back end. He helped the power play, but either NJ was going to have to dress 7 D or take their chances with a guy that couldn't be trusted late in games.

I don't know who Zidlicky was willing to waive his NTC for, but Chicago is desperate for a d-man and probably would've given up a similar package.

We agree - and the amount in the package probably reflects that competitive bidding for this type of player.

You haven't watched enough. MZ has been on the Wild for 4 years. If he can even inch close to numbers from 2 years ago its worth it.

2005-06 Nashville Predators NHL 67 12 37 49 82 8 2 0 1 1 2

2006-07 Nashville Predators NHL 79 4 26 30 72 8 5 0 2 2 4

2007-08 Nashville Predators NHL 79 5 38 43 63 -5 6 0 3 3 8

2008-09 Minnesota Wild NHL 76 12 30 42 76 -12 -- -- -- -- --

2009-10 Minnesota Wild NHL 78 6 37 43 67 -16 -- -- -- -- --

2010-11 Minnesota Wild NHL 46 7 17 24 30 -6 -- -- -- -- --

2011-12 Minnesota Wild NHL 40 0 13 13 22 -7

Its important to note that the fact that this guy is NOT a liability like some of the other #6/7 acquisitions at EVEN STRENGTH is the key. He's a 20 minute player unlike a MAB.

The arrogance of saying Lou makes "dumb" trades after the recent trades:

1.) Salvador for a fighter who is a liability on the ice,

2.) Elite forward for an overpaid #/45 Defensman, 1st, a washout Prospect and Cormier

3.) Poni for a 4th

4.) PL3 for ANYTHING????!!!!!

I'll give you that the signings have been pretty feast or famine, but as far as trades if these strike you as "dumb" perhaps you might want to stick to the clever JPEGS and SIGS. (just kidding!) :giggle:

I'm not criticizing Lou for thise trades but I am criticizing his recent history of getting lousy players in search of some sort of minor fix.

Bottom line is Zidlicky used to be good, but we signed a player who is 35 years old and definitely on the downhill part of his career. I'm of the firm opinion that his injury plagued past 2 seasons are way more relevant now than anything he did further back in his history. The fact that a guy who hasn't coached him in like 4 seasons was given any say so in this decision makes it even worse.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Lou on Zid acquisition: (Per TG)

Lamoriello said "in our opinion" Zidlicky is a top two defenseman he tried to get him when Nashville traded him to Minnesota.

This guy should sell used cars!

"In our opinion this Honda Civic is really a Lexus...."

He DOES sell cars, he's got a terribly awkward sounding radio commercial for a local BMW dealer. I wish to god I could find it online somewhere.

Can we call him Licky?

I lost my Kurtis Foster the People jokes, but I did pick up some Marek Zidlicky Li jokes. #hipsterhockeyhumor.

Edit: Or, even better, We can call him Informer. Zidlicky boom boom dooooooowwwn. (If you're under the age of 25, look it up.)

Edited by thelastonealive

For the Devils, this right out of the Lou Lamoriello playbook: Acquiring a veteran, puck-moving defenseman for a playoff run (see also: Shawn Chambers in 1995, Vladimir Malakhov in 2000). Zidlicky costs more than some alternatives like ex-Devil Johnny Oduya, headed to free agency with the Winnipeg Jets. But if he finds his game, he's an asset

He does that spot in the most monotone, boring, unenthusiastic way I've ever heard a car commercial done. It's like "buy cars here...old people"

"If you ahhr in the mahhket for a Mercedes Benz, then Globe Mercedes should be your choice."

I never really notice the fact that he's from New England when he speaks, except for in that commercial.

Well Foster sucks but here's the facts: In 29 games before Foster's arrival, Devils' PP was 14-for-110 (13.2%). In 28 games Foster played for Devs, PP was 19-for-87 (21.8%)

great. the truth is that the devils PP was neither 13.2% bad or 21.8% good. if zidlicky can be as good as foster on the PP and be capable 5 on 5, NJ comes out way ahead.

If he can bring as much offense as Foster while being less of a defensive liability, this trade will be a success. If not, his salary can be buried in Albany next year. Either way, Foster was a defensive nightmare and neither Palmeiri nor Veillieux had any value to us. Picks are picks.

I'm good with this.

• Like 1

So with everyone healthy and let's say there's no other trades (i can't see us getting anyone else really now) i feel pretty confident with that group really... if we lose a guy on D im comfortable playing Fayne or Tao and on the attack well... we have 3 guys who... played in the NHL already lol

Parise - Henrique - Kovalchuk

Sykora - Elias- Clarkson

Ponikarovsky - Zajac - Zubrus

Carter - Josefson - Bernier

Janssen**

Boulton**

Tedenby**

Andy Greene-Tallinder

Bryce Salvador-Adam Larsson

Anton Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Fayne**

Taormina**

Martin Brodeur

Johan Hedberg

could switch Poni an Carter since Bernier and Poni had something going, and Zajac should be able to raise Carter's play a bit eventho Poni is the better player from the 2...

could also switch Clarkson and Zubrus

If he can bring as much offense as Foster while being less of a defensive liability, this trade will be a success.

Yes, this. If the idea is to win the Cup this year, and we would all agree that Zidlicky makes more sense out there than Foster than the trade makes sense, being that all we really surrendered was a 2nd and maybe Palmieri... We are a better team now than yesterday. Let'snot discuss 12-13 yet imo.

Problem is that I'm not that comfortable with Zidlicky out for extended shifts either. Is he more trustworthy than Foster? Sure, but we weren't paying Foster $4M or giving up some picks and prospects for keeping him here.

I'm not doubting at all that Zidlicky is a better player and ultimately will give us a better edge than with Foster. What I'm worried about is that we gave up too much (the 2nd rounder really hurts) and that his $4M will be an issue next year.

TG's tweets are calming my anger about this trade...

Tom Gulitti‏@TGfireandice

I know it seems like the Devils gave up a lot for Zidlicky, but was it really?

Only player that was really playing that they gave up was Foster, who they got for Pelley and Fraser, who were not playing before trade.
If they have to give up the 2013 3rd rounder, that means they reached conference finals this year. Wouldn't that be worth it?

Not to mention, I'm not as concerned with the $4 mil next year. Even with Zidlicky, they're projected to have $22 million of cap space. Zidlicky is not going to make or break the chance of signing Parise. Especially since there are only 5 players under contract after next season (Kovy, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Greene, Larsson).