Devils vs Rags 1/26/14 - Yankee Stadium - Official!

ghdi

you are 100% wrong regarding this outdoor game. the reason the rangers haven't had it at yankee stadium before this was SPECIFICALLY because of Lou. The Yankees would not give them the stadium if the Devils weren't in it.

that created problems from two angles - 1) The Islanders and 2) When it was just one game, the league would not want a regional matchup.

I'm still not sure that Lou was actually the one preventing a Winter Classic there up until now.. I just can't believe that the rest of the board would allow Lou to block a huge event for the stadium simply for self-interest.. You're elected to a board to help that particular organization, not leverage it to further your own agenda

Wasn't the Pinstripe Bowl the main reason it was not possible for it to be in NY and Yankee Stadium?

Yup, it would have been pretty much impossible to go from the football setup to the Winter Classic set up in 3-4 days.

I'm still not sure that Lou was actually the one preventing a Winter Classic there up until now.. I just can't believe that the rest of the board would allow Lou to block a huge event for the stadium simply for self-interest.. You're elected to a board to help that particular organization, not leverage it to further your own agenda

But then again, think about it this way. The league (and NBC) have been on Philly's balls for a couple years now. I'm sure Yankee Stadium/NYC-based Winter Classic was never really a serious consideration until this year. And after last year's playoffs NY-NJ series and the good ratings in NY-NJ, not to mention a nice jump in our attendance this year, it probably all clicked together and became a serious idea in motion.

Legally, they still sent you a notice. That's all they had to do to cover themselves.

Not really, you can't send a legal notice regular snail mail like that I don't think. That's why you send a subpoena with a witness/process server if the person doesn't respond to it.

I'm pushing my legal knowledge here, but if it was included with other things, like your tickets, that might be ok, because then there is proof you got it(by having gotten the tix and going to games).

Not really, you can't send a legal notice regular snail mail like that I don't think. That's why you send a subpoena with a witness/process server if the person doesn't respond to it.

I'm pushing my legal knowledge here, but if it was included with other things, like your tickets, that might be ok, because then there is proof you got it(by having gotten the tix and going to games).

You only get a process server for court documents/subpoena.

You can get legal notices by regular snail mail, though it is recommended to send it with signature and/or tracking confirmation.  You are right in if it is sent with your tickets it counts.

You only get a process server for court documents/subpoena.

You can get legal notices by regular snail mail, though it is recommended to send it with signature and/or tracking confirmation.  You are right in if it is sent with your tickets it counts.

That's kind of what I was thinking. At least if the tickets were with it, you can confirm receipt. If you send it on it's own, there's no guarantee unless it's certified mail. And if you don't read it at that point, then it's your fault.

I imagined they would have thought about it before doing anything. I'm sure they discussed this game way back as a possibility for next year and I doubt a team would allow themselves to get into the same bind another team did a couple years ago.

That's kind of what I was thinking. At least if the tickets were with it, you can confirm receipt. If you send it on it's own, there's no guarantee unless it's certified mail. And if you don't read it at that point, then it's your fault.

I imagined they would have thought about it before doing anything. I'm sure they discussed this game way back as a possibility for next year and I doubt a team would allow themselves to get into the same bind another team did a couple years ago.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm sure the lawyers were all over this.

Lou's pull with the Yankees helped get this done.

Will there be a designated home team? I mean the Rags are New York obviously, but that doesn't necessarily make it their home stadium. I mean I'd like the Devils to take home at least 50% of the massive gate.

Neither team gets the "home team gate".  The NHL "buys" the home date from the designated home game as a lump sum.  The "road" team also gets a large chunk of change up-front. The NHL gets the gate, concession cut/etc.  Part of the general fund which is split amongst the 30 teams.  At least that is how it works for the Winter Classic, assuming it would be the same for these games.  Supposedly, the amount the teams get is equivalent to the gate they would receive in a sell-out in their own building.  

Didn't read this entire thread, but seems like people in internet world are down on the idea.  I love it.  I would much rather see Rangers-Isles or Rangers-Devs (or both!) play an outdoor game than Rangers-Bruins (which was the rumor).  Unfortunately, NBC isn't interested in the rivalry game.   

As for tickets, both teams get a huge chunk.  Last time, Flyers and Rangers season ticket holders all had the chance to buy tickets.  I turned mine down, and won't get excited over these until I see prices.  If they are the same as the game in philly, I will pass again.  Maybe buy and scalp.

Wasn't the Pinstripe Bowl the main reason it was not possible for it to be in NY and Yankee Stadium?

Pinstripe Bowl could be moved to earlier in December if need be.  It is an insignificant bowl game and only has 1 year left on the contract.  Haven't heard anything about it continuing beyond this season.  Or, being discontinued.

Yeah, I'm sure the ticket prices for this outdoor game will be significantly higher than the prices our season ticket holders are paying, but our season ticket holders will still be getting a heck of a deal by paying face value instead of secondary market prices, which will be through the roof.

There is no way that tickets to this will be "included" with season tickets. We will be refunded for one home game, and then we will be guaranteed the opportunity to purchase that number of seats to the outdoor game should we choose to do so. We are guaranteed seats...but they won't come automatically. We will have to buy them (at face value).

That is what happened to the Flyers season ticket holders last year.  Face Value for the game was $189-399 for most tickets.  Front row field level was only $79, but I know someone who took those and he said he couldn't see a thing.

Kinda ironic we are the home team. I won't be there (obviously), but this event is a sort of a dream come true for me - ever since they started the Winter Classic tradition, I thought a Devils - Rangers game at Yankee would be awesome.

As an NHL fan... I don't dig six outdoor games every season. WC is special because it's a once-a-year event, plus there is all the fuss in hockey (and not hockey only, I guess) media and on top of that, we get to see the teams on 24/7. Those extra games are more of a local attraction. Devs/Isles - Rangers? Hell yeah, I'll watch that, but that' because I care about the teams and the city. Those other games (with the "big" WC being the exception)? I don't really care much about - maybe if I have nothing better to do at the time, I'll watch them.

So yeah, as a Devils fan I'm thrilled. As an NHL fan - it feels to me like they're trying to make Christmas come several times a year.

Oh, and BTW... If Lou is on the Yankees BOG, there is no way he didn't have a say in this, but at the same time, some of you guys really seem to have a low self esteem when it comes to the Devils. All the talk in the last few years about how we could never, ever get a game like this... Now people pointing out how it's all thanks to Lou (because we can't forget the league hates us and Lou had to put a gun to Bettman's head to force him to let us play)... I don't know if we wouldn't get the outdoor game without Lou (my guess is we would - the NHL simply didn't want to piss off any of the NY area teams), but let me tell you this... With the draft being held in Jersey this year and the Devils playing at Yankee Stadium (as hosts) next season, the meaning of the Devils brand in the league and the media probably isn't half as bad as some people paint it.

Now, waiting for my Devs to make a trip to Europe... :)

Edited by Revan

I love the idea of outdoor games, it hits the nostalgia button for me.

is it a novelty? yep. is it a damn cool novelty? yep!

going to at least one outdoor game that means something to me in the middle of winter would just be amazing.

can STH keep me in mind when pricing and release dates come out so i can potentially paypal someone for a ticket? :D

When my 12 year old son turns 60, he will think back and tell his kids about being there with his dad :) Him in his Kovy jersey, me in my Elias Christmas tree jersey, both of us freezing and complaining about the hot dogs being too cold to eat SECONDS after we got them (for only 5 bucks each, can you imagine!!) in that January cold.

I'll be there, no doubt :) With my boy Seamus, and we'll f*'ing win, too!

Go DEVILS!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already mentioned. Has anyone heard anything else about tickets?

NHL makes it official: Devils and Rangers will play in Yankee Stadium

By Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger

on May 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM, updated May 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The NHL has made it official: The Devils and Rangers will meet in an outdoor game at Yankee Stadium at 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 26, 2014, and the Rangers and Islanders will face off in the ballpark Jan. 29 at 7:30 p.m.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said he is looking forward to the game, in which the Devils will be the home team.

“I think it’s going to be a fantastic experience for everybody involved, certainly with the iconic nostalgia of Yankee Stadium,” Lamoriello said. “Along with the fans coming into that environment that we’ve watched on TV and our players experiencing it, we are thrilled to play our divisional rival. We're proud to have been selected, most importantly for the fans.”

Further details on this special NHL event, including national broadcast information and specifics on ticket opportunities for the season-ticket holders of each team, will be released shortly. Fans interested in receiving more information on ticketing, news and special offers around the event should register at www.NHL.com/2014NewYork.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2013/05/nhl_makes_it_official_devils_a.html

I signed up for their updates. Hopefully they'll keep everyone in the loop.

I saw where someone posted on Facebook that he called the Devils and they said to him that 13,000 tickets are going to the Devils season ticket holders, 13,000 to Rangers season ticket holders, 13,000 to the Yankees and 13,000 to the NHL (whatever that means).

I have no idea if that's true, but I hope not seeing as how I'm not a season ticket holder. Unless maybe the NHL's tix will be put up for sale to NHL fans.  :noclue:

Edited by 95Crash

Why get excited the Devils will lose, Brodeur is in goal and Lou is GM.

Ugh I know, just like the ECF last year.. Can't handle that same disappointment..

Combine that with the fact that the Devils have literally never won an outdoor game and we're totally screwed

What are the sentiments about specialty jerseys? Would you like to see them? Do you think we'll see them?

Personally, I'm always interested in a new jersey, but I think it'd be cool, just to have them in our regular home reds. Plus I don't know if Lou would be into the idea, maybe the most we see is a special patch or something.

What are the sentiments about specialty jerseys? Would you like to see them? Do you think we'll see them?Personally, I'm always interested in a new jersey, but I think it'd be cool, just to have them in our regular home reds. Plus I don't know if Lou would be into the idea, maybe the most we see is a special patch or something.

. I'm hoping for the white Christmas tree jerseys myself.