GDT: Devils @ DC--7:00pm

Ollie McKraut

Brodeur: 21 GP 11-8-2, 2.38 GAA, .902 SV%, On-Ice SH%: 11.1%

Schneider: 16 GP 4-7-5, 2.03 GAA, .915 SV%, On-Ice SH%: 6.7%

Crazy that the Devils SH% is 4.4% higher when Brodeur plays than Schneider. Feel bad for Schneider.

And there it is...opposing goalies are putting up an .889 save% in games when Marty starts, and .933 when Schneider starts.  Yeah, you can have your share of meh and bad games and still win, if the guys at the other end are not stopping pucks as well.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game to watch. Wish I could have been there... Marty was a obviously weak and it's amazing how the goal support dichotomy continues with him and Cory.

Greene is just a fvcking beast what can I say, and yes zidlicky earned his paycheck today on the offensive end, so I'll eat some crow on him tonight.

Wish we could have avoided giving Washington a point but you gotta love the team battling back from down 2 goals.

He's at .902 in save% for the season. He finished at .901 last season. He was at .903 and .908 the two seasons before that, but he had prolonged stretches of strong play in both of those seasons...it's been a different story last year and this.

That being said, as much as I support Cory getting more playing time, at some point he's got to stop giving DeBoer excuses to keep going back to Marty. Schneider hasn't been lights-out either as of late.

This. Schneider needs to start putting up wins to take that spot. Deboer definitely doesn't have the confidence in him yet

haha zid did good

powerplay in effect

ducks > caps and cory stole a point from the ducks, this is a no brainer folks.

Cory wasn't spectacular last night, but he was good when he needed to be.  And that is the difference.  Cory will rarely ever cost the team a win.  Marty has done it a few times already.

Not seeing anything yet to make me think this team will pull away from NHL .500.  Not unless the goalie play improves.  It won't if Marty keeps getting this many starts...he's just too inconsistent. 

We're 15-11-4 in our last 30 games.  That's a 92 point pace over a full 82.  Too bad we got off to an 0-4-3 start.

Edited by Mike Brown

Great win.  Team played excellent except for a few breakdowns, and while I don't think Brodeur was strong by any means, he wasn't horrible.  Boucher had an excellent game,  2nd and 4th lines were the ones that struggled - I like some of what Tedenby did in transition (set up one great chance), but it looks like he is just guessing out there offensively and defensively.

Interesting that Merrill had 23 minutes and Gelinas 16, even with NJ trailing for long stretches of the game.  Merrill just does not make many mistakes back there and he comes up with an elegant play to break the puck out of the zone or to deny a scoring chance to an opposing forward.  He is going to be really good, I think - think Paul Martin.

Schneider at some point has to start playing like one of the top goalies in the league.  If he does, the crease will be mostly his.  He's given up 3 goals in each of the last 4 starts.

I'll agree with Tedenby, but I think he did enough to get another look or two. I liked a lot of what he did. He looked noticeably stronger tonight.

Merrill has been excellent. The Martin comparison is a good one. When I saw Ovechkin like up to start OT, my first thought was that it better see Greene and Merrill out there...and good thing they were.

It should be very interesting what happens when Larsson and Salvador come back. Pete has some very hard decisions. The two biggest liabilities back there are Zidlicky and Gelinas, and they are supposed to be our best offensive defensemen. Tonight's a game that reminds everyone how dangerous Zidlicky can be (he has an incredible slapshot, but rarely ever uses it). Fayne has been this solid before and seen the bench anyway, so that could happen again.

As for Schneider, while he has struggled the last few games, he seems to always play against great teams. He has had very few easy games lately, and it's mentally tough to be fighting for the next game...every game you are out there. If he knew he had 3/4 games in advance, I am sure he could get going mentally and rhythmically. 

Edited by devilsrule33

Also worth noting that the Caps' D got run all game and that Urbom can't even break into this sextet - he's been a healthy scratch 10 games in a row.

yeah I hope we can put that whole gripe to rest. Urbom was never going to be an nhl regular for us, and in the caps games ive seen he hasn't been good. Hopefully the gelinas and Merrill can make people forget about him, because he's not worth worrying about. Edited by dmann422

What I like about this team is they're really resilient. If this was early in the season or last season, we probably would've lost. Caps go up 3-1 after that Joel Ward goal. Devils are probably done. Nope. Jagr cuts it to 3-2 with a power play goal. The Ovechkin goal probably would've been a back breaker. Nah Zidlicky scores one minute later and Zubrus ties it up just two minutes after that. And Greene being his usual beast self seals it in OT.

Also, The first line has to be considered one of the best in the league. They shut down the big Ducks' line of Perry, Getzlaf and Penner and shat on the Caps' first line as well. This team is extremely fun to watch and they're starting to play their best hockey. I hope they continue to do so. Go Devils!

The Devils have scored 26 goals in Cory's 16 starts and 64 goals in Marty's 21 starts.  It really would be hilarious if it wasn't aggravating during the Cory starts.

Yikes, thats ugly...

Great win tonight. Andy Greene continues to be a monster. Jagr is a legend.

Cory wasn't spectacular last night, but he was good when he needed to be.  And that is the difference.  Cory will rarely ever cost the team a win.  Marty has done it a few times already.

We're 15-11-4 in our last 30 games.  That's a 92 point pace over a full 82.  Too bad we got off to an 0-4-3 start.

All of the games count though.  Devils clearly weren't going be Sabre-record bad, but 15-15-7 feels about right at this point, given the team's overall play.

The Devils have actually scored 25 goals in their past 7 games, which is terrific, but they keep finding ways to lose games where they score 2 goals (they've only won two out of nine games where they've scored 2).  The 0-5 record in shootouts hurts too. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

They've gotten to + goal differential lately, in this dumpster fire of a division,it may be enough. Pretty sad that the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the division are at +1 goal differential... lol.

people keep making a big deal about the divosion but look at the standings, the new Atlantic division is not that much better in terms of overall points.

Honestly, Im just impressed by the Jagr/Zajac/Zubrus line and their ability to dictact a style of play that suits them, I think teddy should get another shot but he looses his legs in the neutral zone at points leaving you wondering whats going on with him. I think the team is gelling and very capable of going on a run but I'm curious to see if they have the upside potential that we had two years ago.

It's fvcking embarrassing that we're going to have to go for Gold without Andy. I'm sure he'll use it as motivation for himself to keep kicking ass for the Devils but at the same time playing in the Olympics usually fires a player up. I'm just disappointed, I would totally buy a Greene US jersey. :(

Edited by Steven M.

It's fvcking embarrassing that we're going to have to go for Gold without Andy. I'm sure he'll use it as motivation for himself to keep kicking ass for the Devils but at the same time playing in the Olympics usually fires a player up. I'm just disappointed, I would totally buy a Greene US jersey. :(

imagine how he must feel about it..