NFL Week 5

CRASHER

Bye weeks....season ending injuries....fantasy football headaches....and sorry someone just grabbed my anti-Dumbo comment and is still running to the end zone with it....don't worry, the fullback will tackle him....really....and a return to the bar of some of our favorite football peeps (well aside of Chiefs Guy, we may NEVER see him again

:P)....all makes for another fun week of NFL football....and Chiefs/Colts, the Andrew Luck Bowl continues, as we pass the 1/4 point (already) in the NFL!

Sunday October 9:

1pm:

Eagles at Bills:

This is a big game for both teams....if the Bills lose two in a row, then the "same old Bills" comments are gonna start flowing....and well the Eagles....went from "Dream Team" to "typical Phily Sports team" in a matter of 4 weeks, failed expectations, flaws all over, and fans in a near-riot frenzy (wonder who's fault it is that they can't block, tackle, make plays or do any of the little things that MATTER in football)....the Bills can block...the Bills can rely on the running game and Fred Jackson to move the chains and shorten the game, defensive players that can man up and make the one big play....hell even a Stevie Johnson who can hit the home run....don't get me wrong the Eagles have home run hitters....ask the Yankees how that works out why don't ya? :D.....the Eagles do everything but the little things you NEED to do to win each week in the NFL....want proof? 1-3! And maybe I do have the Buffalo-Blinders and the Croissant-Cheers going, but add in home field and a team with a direction going against a team that looks LOST (for Christ Sake the 49er comeback DOUBLED their point total on the SEASON), though it will be fun to watch and see how the Bills fans react to Vick, since it was released that the NFL wanted and told Vick to NOT sign in Buffalo (least it worked out for ya's and you got a real QB in Fitz, not a running back who plays in the shotgun....)

Winner: Bills

Game Quality: ***** (the points will be a-flying!)

Saints at Panthers:

This too will be a fun game....the Panthers remembered their running game...hooray! But still despite all of sCam's flash and numbers....1-3 (no wonder Mr. Crossandiwch likes him, all flash, no results!)...he's made it interesting, but he's only beaten a WORSE team during a typhoon, yay....the Saints can go yard for yard with the Panthers, splash in some running game, and some defensive guys who can make the game changing play, and the Saints are just better....and by a LOT...it will be high scoring...but sCam-a-mania ain't running wild here....BROTHA!

Winner: Saints

Game Quality: **** (more offense abounds!)

Oakland at Houston:

Wow, this out of nowhere became a pretty damn relevant game of football too....the Raiders have shown they can hang with anyone in this league, and are playing pretty good football (2-2, Run DMC is running awesomely, the D is playing solid, and this team is rallying behind the new coach....times are good in Oakland....but the bar is set pretty low too....don't take much, hell they're glad no one's been shot in the stadium in like a month), the Texans on the other hand, without Andre Johnson struggled MIGHTILY to beat the awful Steelers, and didn't do much impressive....well aside of winning of course, least the next three games should show us if this is the soft roll-over Texans team I expect them to be...yeah they can run the ball and the front seven is still good...but I keep looking at Houston...and I can't....I just can't I tell you!!!!

Winner: Oakland

Game Quality: **** (geesh, look at all the good matchups)

Chiefs at Colts:

Oh THIS IS GLORY, WONDER....ANTI-FOOTBALL DEFINED!!!! Matt Cassel.....Curtis Painter....OH BOY!!!! Let's be fair as much as I embrace these crappy football games, is there much to be factored into these teams?? Not really, I wish I could say I saw the Colts on Monday but I was too busy raising hell on ice (and it was fun!) I know Tampa had to come from behind (my survival pool and my first place standing in the picks pool also thank you!), but when you have two sh!t sandwiches of equal quality, and you HAVE to eat one....I'm gonna eat the one that doesn't travel on a plane (or at least stall on eating until Brian shows up and offer the pile to him since he'll like it....), so translating the babble to English....gimmie the home team and minimal points.....

Winner: Colts

Game Quality: **** (anti-football is FUN!)

Bengals at Jaguars:

When you talk the worst teams in the league, the Jaguars are in the conversation....the Bengals are actually NOT, Andy Dalton is slowllllyyyy getting better, and having a few weapons to get the ball to helps (and you keep fighting this Cedric Benson, the NFL has NO case to suspend you for anything that happened during the lockout!), the Jaguars....they got MJ-D, and a bag of balls.....not a pretty visual....not a pretty football team....I guess Jacksonville's best chance is another monsoon, I don't think that's happening.....

Winner: Bengals

Game Quality: ** (dare we call this anti-football, hell yes we do!)

Arizona at Minnesota:

Two more AWFUL teams locking up....least one of these was expected to be awful (yes you Minnesota), and people are already screaming for McNabb to be put down for Chrisitan Poder-ous (effing Ponderous man...ahh, old school O&A joke, from when they were you know....funny), but with the teams on the schedule for the Vikings it ain't gonna happen....which is good for the McNabb haters (or people who are amused to see him FAIL like me).... Arizona on the other hand....LOST TO SEATTLE....I can't get past that, I know this isn't the '86 49ers, but SEATTLE??? CMONNNNNNNN...though sadly Seattle is better then the Vikings, and at least Arizona realized handing the ball off is a good and effective option....just remember when you fall forward the play is over (talk about a top 5 of all time blown calls right? In the end that fail may cost Arizona their season.....), it matters not today.....awful the Vikings are....and mediocre on their best day beats flat out AWFUL every time.....

Winner: Arizona

Game Quality: **

Seattle at NY Giants:

Heh....speaking of Seattle....right?? Let's see Tavares Jackson...against the Giants who are getting healthy and ready on the D-Line??? HELLLOOOO SURVIVAL PICK!!!! <3, not much to say about this one aside of the Giants will have to work HARD AS HELL to screw this one up....least you Yankee fans can watch this on Sunday right??

Winner: Giants

Game Quality: DUD (this is like watching baseball kinda bad ...)

Tennessee at Steelers:

Boy, this is a game you looked at TOTALLY different a month ago, ain't it?? When we all saw this on the schedule we saw a Titans team with maybe no CJ, rookies all over, new coach and the big, bad Steelers on the schedule....we all said "well this is a loss" and moved on.....this is why we play the games folks....in the last 4 weeks the Steelers have dropped like Obama's approval ratings (you thought I was gonna make the Owen joke, didn't you?), the Steelers can't block and are getting pushed off the ball on defense...they look like they got OLD, and got old in a Faster-Then-Light jump!! It's amazing actually....this might be the game Chris Johnson looks like CHRIS FRAKING JOHNSON....and Matt Hasselbeck is the early guy in the running for comeback of the year (hell if they make the playoffs, we could make that MVP....seriously....really!), the Steelers will just be happy to have Big Ben SURVIVE each week now....forget winning.....I wonder if that sweaty angry ballbag entitled Steelers fan will show up again like he did last week (you know the type, they expect their team to step on the field and the other team is supposed to crawl in the fetal position and BEG for mercy...problem is HIS team needs the mercy) I'm still amazed I'd have called this a Steeler squash if it was a Week 1 game.....

Winner: Titans

Game Quality: ** 3/4 (adding interest because the Steelers are on the edge of falling over already)

4pm:

Tampa at San Francisco:

You know....you actually gotta pay attention to this game at 4:00 this week..... I'll tell ya one thing, if the Bucs go up 20 on the 49ers, they'll beat them down and finish the job (ya hear me dawg?), and are the 49ers good enough to put up THAT kinda massive effort two weeks in a row??? Not really, not even close, Tampa's been solid all year, getting QB play and RB play each and every week, but the Niners are being scrappy, and any coach that can make Alex Smith look like an NFL QB....that's Coach of the Year worthy in that ALONE, this will be a battle and probably an ugly one...but that's Tampa's style of football defined....the home field don't matter either the way Tampa wants this one to go....and the 49ers can't pull back to back games out their ass, that ass ain't big enough.....

Winner: Tampa

Game Quality: ***

San Diego at Denver:

The only question here is how awful will San Diego play to keep this one close....how desperate will John Fox get and put Tim Teebow in the game (though it's amusing to see this 3rd String QB getting crappy T-Shirt commercials isn't it?)....Denver's got nothing and less then...San Diego has all the pieces and it's not September anymore, so maybe we start seeing the real Chargers soon.....go get em!!!

Winner: San Diego

Game Quality: DUD

NY Jets at Patriots:

Oh boy, oh boy....two "top teams" in the AFC, who have been simply HORRIBLE to start the year....the Pats are for the most a one dimensional arrogant pass happy team that laughs at the run (kinda how Chris McCabe plays Madden, well except for the fact that he's 1-4, HA!), can't play much defense....and doing nothing but simply trying to outscore their opponents....and here we have the Jets....we know no NT that they can keep off the QB (my God that was the most embarrassing offensive effort from TWO TEAMS that we were subjected to for a Sunday Night Football game....*cringe*), the Jets can't run the ball worth a damn either....well maybe they will this week...Sanchez is beat up...and hell even Rex Ryan's shut his mouth this year (finally....if only his idiot, fatter brother would do so too....), usually I try to look at these teams and see what they CAN'T do, but these teams "can't do" so much, I gotta go on what they CAN do, and the Pats can still throw ya out the building....

Winner: Patriots

Game Quality: **** (always is)

8pm:

Green Bay at Atlanta:

Didn't we see this six months ago? When the Falcons were decent? Oh yeah we did....and a Packer team with 15 guys on IR pounded like veal an Atlanta team that was playing good....the Packers are healthier now, the Falcons can't run, can't protect the QB, and the defense has been "stealthy" at best....this is gonna be savage and brutal....

Winner: Packers

Game Quality: ***

Monday October 10th:

Bears at Lions:

Welcome back to Prime Time Detroit!!! Least the Bears remembered they have a running game, even if it was only against Carolina, it was a sign of hope....I don't expect Mike Martz to stay with it though...he'll get bored and call 55 pass plays this week, just watch....are the Lions due for a letdown? Probably, but not in their first home game on Monday Night since they had that Barry Sanders guy, and I don't think they'll need two pick 6's to win this one....though Jay Cutler's never seen an INT he didn't like either...CMON 5-0!!!!!

Winner: Lions

Game Quality: *** (I may actually be upset I'm gonna miss this playing hockey)

Week 5 NFL Power Rankings:

AFC:

1. Bills...it's ok, it was a bump on the road, they'll get over it.....

2. Ravens.... who owe Sanchez a thank you note for all the Christmas gifts last week.....

3. Titans....It's all about the Hasselbecks!

4. Patriots....least they ran the damn ball last week.....

5. Houston....as unimpressed as CM Punk is.....

NFC:

1. Packers....still kinda boring, but still whippin ass and taking names....

2. Lions...would like the same courtesy from Dumbo, that Sanchez is to the Ravens.....

3. Saints....the best of the rest....

4. Tampa Bay....shocking me this season...not last week, but overall....

5. Washington....holy hell....Rex Grossman was RIGHT????

NY Jets at Patriots:

Oh boy, oh boy....two "top teams" in the AFC, who have been simply HORRIBLE to start the year....the Pats are for the most a one dimensional arrogant pass happy team that laughs at the run (kinda how Chris McCabe plays Madden, well except for the fact that he's 1-4, HA!), can't play much defense....and doing nothing but simply trying to outscore their opponents....and here we have the Jets....we know no NT that they can keep off the QB (my God that was the most embarrassing offensive effort from TWO TEAMS that we were subjected to for a Sunday Night Football game....*cringe*), the Jets can't run the ball worth a damn either....well maybe they will this week...Sanchez is beat up...and hell even Rex Ryan's shut his mouth this year (finally....if only his idiot, fatter brother would do so too....), usually I try to look at these teams and see what they CAN'T do, but these teams "can't do" so much, I gotta go on what they CAN do, and the Pats can still throw ya out the building....

Winner: Patriots

C'mon Crash...the Pat defense has been God-awful about 95% of the time this year, but their offense overall has been pretty damned impressive, and they did actually learn from their mistakes in Week 3 and are trying to get something of a running game going (they did have a nice balance last week). And isn't every team trying to outscore their opponents? That's kind of how you win isn't it? (just kidding, but it's not like Brady and Co have much of a choice with NE's defense being so non-existent...that guy is going into every game knowing he'd better put up 30+). Right now no one can stop them (they stopped themselves against the Bills), and they can't stop anyone. They're half-a-team.

Having said all of this, I have a sick feeling that the Jets are winning this one...Sanchez is going to have a big day, and radio shows all over Massachusettes are going to start wondering if BB has anything up his sleeve that can stop NFL offenses from racking up 450+ yards on his invisible D week after week.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

C'mon Crash...the Pat defense has been God-awful about 95% of the time this year, but their offense overall has been pretty damned impressive, and they did actually learn from their mistakes in Week 3 and are trying to get something of a running game going (they did have a nice balance last week). And isn't every team trying to outscore their opponents? That's kind of how you win isn't it? (just kidding, but it's not like Brady and Co have much of a choice with NE's defense being so non-existent...that guy is going into every game knowing he'd better put up 30+). Right now no one can stop them (they stopped themselves against the Bills), and they can't stop anyone. They're half-a-team.

Having said all of this, I have a sick feeling that the Jets are winning this one...Sanchez is going to have a big day, and radio shows all over Massachusettes are going to start wondering if BB has anything up his sleeve that can stop NFL offenses from racking up 450+ yards on his invisible D week after week.

I've been wondering whether the Jets offense is just what the Patriots defense needs, or if the Pats D is the elixir we needed. :rolleyes:

I've been wondering whether the Jets offense is just what the Patriots defense needs, or if the Pats D is the elixir we needed. :rolleyes:

I just have this gut feeling that the Jet offense is going to have a big day. I've watched all four Patriot games in their entirety, and though the D has had some good moments, it's frightening how porous they are...guys wide open all over the place. It's even scarier how much McCourty has regressed...he looked better in his first games as a rookie last season than he does now. He's always three steps behind his receiver (or so it seems).

I think the Eagles win out of desperation; falling to 1-4 in a division with 3 competitive teams, who will all be .500 or better no matter what after this week, is very bad. With that said, Buffalo should run the ball down their throats... they haven't proved they can stop it.

Oakland/Houston is a nice matchup. Both have good offenses with questionable defenses. I actually think the Raiders win this one; Houston has struggled to stop the run and the Texans will be without Andre Johnson. Ground and pound with Darren McFadden all day.

Chiefs/Colts: LOL.

The gameplan for the Jags is (sadly) pretty much the same thing every week to have a chance: give the ball to MJD and hope for the best. And how about the Bengals with the top defense in the league so far? That's kind of funky.

Hasselbeck won't be amazing this week. He'll probably be terrible, actually. Even with a banged up Big Ben, the only chance the Titans win is if Chris Johnson breaks out, which is a good possibility against a defense yielding 4.8 yards per rushing attempt.

I'm not buying the 49ers. Mediocre offense, mediocre defense. I'm not ready to jump on Tampa Bay's bandwagon just yet either, but I do like them more.

Jets/Pats... oh boy. I don't know what to think. The Pats will certainly score. I'm not going to throw out any predictions, but if the Jets can't put up points against this brutal defense then there are serious problems.

Packers/Falcons is a shootout waiting to happen. As long as the Falcons don't turn the ball over and prevent Ryan from getting beat up, they'll have a chance.

The Lions can score, force turnovers, and they're facing turnover machine/sack-taking dummy Jay Cutler. Actually, Cutler has only 4 INT's this year. Not awful. But that probably means hes due to throw about 3 in one game. :P Lions all the way.

Edited by nmigliore

It's about BALANCE...and doing it one week just to say HEY NFL WE CAN RUN TOO, isn't enough to make me think that's enough to buck the trend of the Pats that's been going on since 18-1....I need to see it for a month to believe it....yeah the Pats D sucks....so does the Jets offense, they can't run, they can't protect, and Sanchez is taking a BEATING back there...the only thing going good on EITHER team, the Pats can throw the ball....the Jets can make plays on special teams....the rest is throwing the poop at the wall till something sticks :P

If you're up 14....or 20....there's no shame in running the ball some, chewing some clock and letting your defense rest a bit, and if you're passing game is THAT good....convert the 3rd and 7 :P (unless you have a Dumbo-QB, then take a knee, punt and pray it's inside the 20)

Hasselbeck won't be amazing this week. He'll probably be terrible, actually. Even with a banged up Big Ben, the only chance the Titans win is if Chris Johnson breaks out, which is a good possibility against a defense yielding 4.8 yards per rushing attempt.

I'm not buying the 49ers. Mediocre offense, mediocre defense. I'm not ready to jump on Tampa Bay's bandwagon just yet either, but I do like them more.

Jets/Pats... oh boy. I don't know what to think. The Pats will certainly score. I'm not going to throw out any predictions, but if the Jets can't put up points against this brutal defense then there are serious problems.

Why not??? He has been so far all year long, and with no Harrison and a D-Line that goes the other way...Pitt is only scary in theory.....

Agreed on the 49ers totally.....

I just don't think Hasselbeck is all that good in general. He hasn't posted a passer rating higher than 76 since 2007 and now all of sudden hes great? Meh. The Steelers have given up the least amount of passing yards, by a good margin too. I forgot about James Harrison, that will definitely hurt them.

I just don't think Hasselbeck is all that good in general. He hasn't posted a passer rating higher than 76 since 2007 and now all of sudden hes great? Meh. The Steelers have given up the least amount of passing yards, by a good margin too. I forgot about James Harrison, that will definitely hurt them.

Smith is out too .....that Steeler team is in DEEP trouble.....

Not going to say he was a pioneer. He did what was best for Al Davis.

The game passed him by 20 years ago and he made a mockery of a once great franchise with his petty moves as "owner" if he didn't get 100% of the credit for something someone else did. Good Riddance to a man who let his frail ego take away from what could have been greatness.

You know what though....in an era of the total squashing of free speech, individualism and saying your mind without fear of the world being offended at every step (Hank Williams Jr much?), you HAVE to respect someone still willing and wanting to fight for what IS best for them....it's an admirable trait and I wish MORE people were like that. we'd be in a better world.....there's plenty of nasty stuff to be said about Crazy Al....but that can really wait for another day

The game passed him by 20 years ago and he made a mockery of a once great franchise with his petty moves as "owner" if he didn't get 100% of the credit for something someone else did. Good Riddance to a man who let his frail ego take away from what could have been greatness.

He forgot more about football then you know now or will ever know.

Wow, another loss for the Eagles. 4 turnovers for Vick! Enjoy that extension, Philthy! People are/were high if they thought Vick would replicate the kind of passer he was last season... he was never on that kind of level with Atlanta.

Big shocker by Seattle. They can actually score!

The Panthers might not be all that great, but their offense can at least make games interesting. I think I might've wrote DeAngello Williams off too quickly, too...

Alex Smith is the Ryan Fitzpatrick of the NFC!! Seriously though, that was impressive. 48-3? We'll see how the 49ers move forward but they're clearly the class of that division (not saying much though)...

The Tim Tebow era is beginning, Crasher!

Stopping the Pats offensively is nearly impossible, so the only way to beat them is to score, score, and score some more. The Jets just didn't do that enough; only 255 yards against a team giving up an average of 470+ yards per game.

Nothing new here, but Aaron Rodgers is so fun to watch. His arm strength and accuracy are just fantastic and he's an excellent decision maker. And despite falling behind 14-0 on the road to a desperate team fairly quickly, they rallied back with 25 unanswered points.

You know what though....in an era of the total squashing of free speech, individualism and saying your mind without fear of the world being offended at every step (Hank Williams Jr much?), you HAVE to respect someone still willing and wanting to fight for what IS best for them....it's an admirable trait and I wish MORE people were like that. we'd be in a better world.....there's plenty of nasty stuff to be said about Crazy Al....but that can really wait for another day

Saying something with knowledge: YES, repeating blatantly ignorant statements (Hank Williams son): NO.

In some respects I do respect Davis (front office hiring practices, not allowing his players to participate in the NFL All-Star game played in the south, his passion for the game).

In his later years, he screwed Raider fans and several communities out of millions of dollars. He tarnished the Raider comittment to excellence by not allowing an opposing view to interfere with his feeble minded ego filled plans.

Edited by MantaRay

Stopping the Pats offensively is nearly impossible, so the only way to beat them is to score, score, and score some more. The Jets just didn't do that enough; only 255 yards against a team giving up an average of 470+ yards per game.

The Pats' D did a pretty good job, considering their struggles coming in, but the Jets' offensive game plan was terrible. When you see a secondary ranked 32nd in the league, attack it!

Re: the Pats' offense, yeah, does seem like whenever they want to (or need to), they score. And the newfound balance is a good thing...I can't see that defense having too many good games, so anything that keeps them off the field is a big plus.

The Pats' D did a pretty good job, considering their struggles coming in, but the Jets' offensive game plan was terrible. When you see a secondary ranked 32nd in the league, attack it!

Re: the Pats' offense, yeah, does seem like whenever they want to (or need to), they score. And the newfound balance is a good thing...I can't see that defense having too many good games, so anything that keeps them off the field is a big plus.

rex was just too stubborn and stupid. when it was a 1 score game and we had the ball, he kept force feeding the run for little 2-3 yard chunks and 1st and 2nd down and putting us in 3rd down situations which we never converted.

rex was just too stubborn and stupid. when it was a 1 score game and we had the ball, he kept force feeding the run for little 2-3 yard chunks and 1st and 2nd down and putting us in 3rd down situations which we never converted.

Apparently the Jets WR's are having a mutiny on Schottenheimer and Sanchez

I get wanting to establish the run, but when you see a secondary like NE's, you can wait a week. If anything, Sanchez's confidence could've been built up...at least try it during the first half and see where it leads. Just can't understand why establishing the run > attacking an obvious weakness.