The Devils next head coach will be...

'7'

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Lou should be scared away from hiring a longtime assistant who is ready to be a head coach. MacLean's failure shouldn't affect who comes next. I am intrigued by Kirk Muller, but I can understand why people want an experienced coach with a pretty good track record like Ken Hitchcock.

I don't think Lou should be scared away from hiring a longtime assistant who is ready to be a head coach. MacLean's failure shouldn't affect who comes next. I am intrigued by Kirk Muller, but I can understand why people want an experienced coach with a pretty good track record like Ken Hitchcock.

the muller thing has too many issues attached to it - 1st time coach, fairly young, Mac's good friend, etc.

plus, you hear all the players saying that they want to keep doing what Lemaire was doing - smart defensive play. For all the wishes we had for them to be this high flying offense with a heavy forecheck, it's clear this is not the game they're going to play.

you can call him a retread, but the truth is that Hitchcock really does seem like the most logical candidate.

and last but not least, you need a coach that kovalchuk will listen to and thrive under. Mac clearly wasn't that guy. I'm not sure that an unproven guy would be that guy either.

the muller thing has too many issues attached to it - 1st time coach, fairly young, Mac's good friend, etc.

plus, you hear all the players saying that they want to keep doing what Lemaire was doing - smart defensive play. For all the wishes we had for them to be this high flying offense with a heavy forecheck, it's clear this is not the game they're going to play.

you can call him a retread, but the truth is that Hitchcock really does seem like the most logical candidate.

and last but not least, you need a coach that kovalchuk will listen to and thrive under. Mac clearly wasn't that guy. I'm not sure that an unproven guy would be that guy either.

Can't disagree with anything here, except I wouldn't necessarily link Muller with MacLean. I'd hate to miss out on the next great coach because a decision is made that only experienced guys fit here. But Hitchcock may be the right guy for the job, especially if he has a good shot of bringing the best out of Kovalchuk.

The weirdest non-quote from both the Gulitti and Chere articles yesterday had to be that Hitchcock respects Ilya Kovalchuk. I have no idea where they got this information from.

I'm not a huge fan of Hitchcock, but I'll take it. I'd take him over Therrien for sure. Didn't Hitch coach Oates, also? Edit: no, he didn't.

One thing about 'rookie' coaches is that there's always a limitless pool of them from which to draw. There's always 3 or 4 guys who the media or the league or both feels is ready to make the jump to head coach.

Edited by Triumph

My wishlist has two names on it:

Ken Hitchcock

and

John Hynes

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558477

he won the jack adams equivalent in the AHL this year with the 3rd best record in AHL history with the lowest GA/Game and lowest shotsagainst/game to go along with the 4th best offense and most shotsfor/game all with a team that had 9 of its 10 best scorers being called up by the penguins because of all the injuries. Plus, with Barre being right near here it would make the transition for him much smoother and hopefully prevent and Sutter'ing from him. He also coached notables like Erik Johnson, Patrick Kane, and Zach Parise among others while he coached the US-NTDP team to a gold, silver, and bronze medal from 2004-2008 so he has proven he can coach in playoff-like situations.

I realize there is the don't get another rookie head coach, but I think this guy could really be a ligitamate long term solution to our endless coaching shuffle and could be the perfect guy to bridge the gap between offensive play that this team should be more than capable of and the defensive approach that has been the hallmark of our franchise for years.

John Hynes is definatly my #1 choice and I hope Lou feels the same.

My wishlist has two names on it:

Ken Hitchcock

and

John Hynes

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=558477

he won the jack adams equivalent in the AHL this year with the 3rd best record in AHL history with the lowest GA/Game and lowest shotsagainst/game to go along with the 4th best offense and most shotsfor/game all with a team that had 9 of its 10 best scorers being called up by the penguins because of all the injuries. Plus, with Barre being right near here it would make the transition for him much smoother and hopefully prevent and Sutter'ing from him. He also coached notables like Erik Johnson, Patrick Kane, and Zach Parise among others while he coached the US-NTDP team to a gold, silver, and bronze medal from 2004-2008 so he has proven he can coach in playoff-like situations.

I realize there is the don't get another rookie head coach, but I think this guy could really be a ligitamate long term solution to our endless coaching shuffle and could be the perfect guy to bridge the gap between offensive play that this team should be more than capable of and the defensive approach that has been the hallmark of our franchise for years.

John Hynes is definatly my #1 choice and I hope Lou feels the same.

Interesting. Also, 2 straight Scranton guys did well with Pittsburgh. Maybe it's a fluke, but maybe the organization does a good job grooming NHL ready coaches.

well if youre a coach getting offers... would you rather coach players like... Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias, Brodeur and all those promising kids than all the other teams

tough choice when you consider that the devils coaching tenure is about a year these days.

Ok i love Hartley and all that but i Think that MICHEL THERRIEN will be the coach...

I dont know if i like it but it a good friend of Lemaire and Jacques will propose him as a coach... After all Jacques find a job for him in Minnessota.

So i dont know if i like it but i think Therrien will be the next one...

But man i would love Hartley

well if youre a coach getting offers... would you rather coach players like... Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias, Brodeur and all those promising kids than all the other teams

Throw the fact that we now have the 4th overall pick on that list as well.

Devils need a jump start next season so I say Hitchcock is best fit.

lets say the devil new coach is Hitchcock does Lou let him pick who he wants to be his assistant coaches or does Lou give him a list of guys who he thinks will be good assistant coaches

No to Hitchcock. No to Crawford. No to any over the hill game-has-passed-me-by coach. Neither have great resumes anyway

What? Hitchcock is 59. He's 534-350 over his career. He's regarded as one of the best teachers in the game and got Columbus to their first playoff berth and has made the playoffs 10 out of his 16 years, with 3 of those years missed being the years he stopped coaching the teams he was with or in the case of his first year, coming in at the halfway point. 2 to the Conference Finals. 1 to the Finals. 1 Cup win. He's also coached in this division and WANTS to come here, or at least its been rumored. Thats important to me. I want someone who wants to be here.

Considering the way our team is made up of mostly veterans, I want a guy who has experience with veterans, not some neophyte coach with very little head coaching experience in this league.

I dont want Crawford. I'd be absolutely fine with Hitch.

Edited by ghdi