GDT: Rangers vs. Devils

snartly

I found this exchange between Chico and Cangialosi particularly disturbing...

CHICO: "Next time the Rangers sell out MSG, we oughta drop a bomb on the building. A giant bomb. Just level the whole place. Kill everyone inside."

CANGIALOSI: "Chico...you're scaring me."

CHICO (MENACINGLY): "I'm starting to doubt your loyalty, Steve. Something you wanna share with me, ya little bitch?"

Wait this really happened? LOL Thats awesome!

Walking out after Game 6 in '94 was truly painful, it doesn't compare to a regular season game.

This was a tough one, IMO, because of the HBO show. That show will only create even more Rag fans, young influential ones too.

I threw myself on the floor crying like a little girl when that happened. I was 10 and would probably do the same thing now that I'm 27. Although..I was at the Devils/Canes playoff loss. Game 7. Up 2-1 with 2:00 left. Yea. I was just numb. My friend cried though. That was weird. I think I just waited to get in my car alone in order to yell and stuff. I handled it well.

NOTHING, and I mean nothing in the history of my life watching any sort of sports, has hurt more than that game (and I'm a Yankees fan who watched Boston come back from down 3 games to win that series on 2004). I was 16 at the time, and I can still remember feeling the pit in the bottom of my stomach after that loss. Being up 2-0 in the game and then having Messier single handedly destroy us made it even worse.

I was there last night. It turned brutal in the third. These Staten Island meatheads are all puffed up about about their start this year. We all know that the Rags usually fade as the season wears on, but their team is pretty good. I hate to say it, but they took the Devils model and have used it better than us over the past 10 years (it also helps that they have had much better draft picks over that time). That being said, they are not much better than the Devils. The Devils controlled most of the play, got a ton of chances but, as usually, they missed the net or the Queen stoned them. His save on Henrique was unreal and completed changed the game. Plus, not having Elias really hurt as you could see Zajac was tiring as the game went along and it made the third line much weaker.

I love Marty, but he absolutely cost us this game. Letting that puck get through his arm for the second goal was brutal, and everyone in the league knows to shoot high glove on a breakaway/2 on 1, as he always puts his right knee down and doesn't have the reaction time to get the glove up and make the save. I can live with the third goal as it was a 2 on 1, but there is no way they should have scored the second one.

As far as our fans go, its plain embarrassing. There just aren't enough true/diehard fans of this team to fill the building consistently (apparently, they only come out during jersey retirement nights and the 3rd and 4th round of the playoffs), leading to scenarios where it is easy for a Rags fan to pickup a ticket at face value. Not to mention all of the people who will sell their tickets on StubHub making a big profit over what they paid. I have no problem with anyone selling their tickets, but it just means a few more seats going to Rangers fans. The worst thing for me was seeing a couple (2 maybe 3) Rangers fans sitting in the "supporters section" last night. That is an absolute joke! If you own those tickets and sold them to anyone besides a person you knew to be a Devils fan, you should give up your tickets right now.

After the Rags scored their second goal, the teenage kid (probably 17 or 18) sitting in front of me got out his iphone and tried to record the bunch of us Devils fans sitting in the row behind. Apparently, my hand had an involuntary reaction and slapped the iphone 3 rows down the aisle completely shattering the glass front. The kid was pissed, but I told him, if he wasn't an azz, it wouldn't have happened and that I never gave him permission to film me. He cried all of the way out of the arena.

Everything you said was so right on. Very well put. Especially iPhone thing. Just perfect.

Between Stubhub, EBay, and the team ticketexchanges it is very easy for opposing fans to get tickets. When the Habs and Leafs come to MSG, they probably have 5,000 fans in the building. Same for the Flyers, Devils, Islanders, Red Wings, and now Penguins.

I had tickets to last night's game but sold them to a guy with whom I ref because I have something to do tonight and going to the games Thursday and Friday. Bought the other 2 Rangers-Devils games from a Devils season ticket holder with whom I ref football. Difference is, when I do get tickets from a season ticket holder, I turn the obnoxiousness off. When I get a complaint from someone who sits with me at MSG about someone who was using my tickets, that person gets cut-off from me. Rangers fan or not. I try to be respectful of my friends sectionmates.

I'm not going to lie your screen name and Rangers avatar makes me a little uneasy... so excuse me if I ever say anything uncalled for towards you. You understand I'm sure.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I threw myself on the floor crying like a little girl when that happened. I was 10 and would probably do the same thing now that I'm 27. Although..I was at the Devils/Canes playoff loss. Game 7. Up 2-1 with 2:00 left. Yea. I was just numb. My friend cried though. That was weird. I think I just waited to get in my car alone in order to yell and stuff. I handled it well.

Ugh. With all the mentions of miserable games attended, I was hoping no one would bring this one up. 80 seconds from hell.

I hate to tell you this, but we are NOT the same. I know how to pronounce the English language correctly, especially words that end in er. I know that it should be a crime to drive less than 80 mph in the left lane of a major NJ highway, especially in the spring/summer/fall. I know that 90% of the "characters" on Jersey Shore come from NY. I know what a Wawa is (for my South Jersey friends). I know that LI traffic on a Tuesday makes the GSP on a Sunday night in July look like an open highway in Montana. I know that Cornell and Columbia wish they were Princeton. I know that 80% of NYC looks like Newark, and has about the same crime rate, but New Yorkers will never admit it.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. The only reason people from NY are the same as those from NJ is because 1/2 of Staten Island is moving to places like Jackson, NJ to get out of NYC. Obviously what I said here is based strictly off of sterotypes, but we all know that most sterotypes contains a 1/2 truth.

:clap:

Ugh. With all the mentions of miserable games attended, I was hoping no one would bring this one up. 80 seconds from hell.

I nearly tipped over a garbage can in the mens room after that fvcking disaster. As it was, I punched the garbage can multiple times while yelling expletives. I wasn't the only one either.

what happened last night? chico? the team?

also im a teenager and on facebook the most annoying thing is the inmature fags who grow up in nj and were devil fans until they hit like 14 or 15 and all of sudden every devil-ranger games they are like "wow marty you suck" and "yeah ragss letss do it."

to me the worst thing about the rangers are the teenage fans from north jersey who think they are the sh!t because they live here and are rangers fans. i dont know who they are trying to be.

Edited by Mayday

I'm sorry. Just sucks. I was afraid there would be some bad luck involved when the Devils moved to Newark. Like I said earlier besides #27 going up to the rafters & Marty breaking the record there isn't much else to be discussed. And I guess the few die hard fans this team has left just expects more.

I just recall that that was the same night that the Rangers lost their game 7 to the Caps. Sergei Federov scored in the third to put the Caps up and I think they showed the goal at the rock didn't they? Devils fans were all crazy and totally high then boom Carolina ties it.

Hahaha yea I remember that. Sad. The Rangers losing was the only thing that kept me happy until I got to my car and starting choking the steering wheel. It was in park.

I had the exact same reaction to that Carolina game. I literally walked out laughing. I really thought we were gonna make a run that year.

We should have. If we were ever going to make another one with Marty in goal..probably should have been that year or the last time the Devils lost to Ottawa when Ottawa lost to the Ducks in the Cup. Can't remember the year but the Ducks probably would have owned us anyway.

One other thing: Can someone kick the crap out of Dubinsky, please? I was hoping Clarkson could take him, but that skirmish didn't go anywhere.

Rupp-Janssen was a bust too. Maybe next time let Boulton take a crack at it instead.

Rupp has a major height advantage on Jansen although I believe Jansen to be the tougher guy. He's got some stamina man..he just never gets winded. The fact that Clarkson lost that fight to Dubinsky (in my opinion) was pretty much how the rest of the game went, embarrassing. Clarkson was starting to wind up, getting in a few good punches then, WAP, left jab by Dubinsky (with his head down) and Clarkson falls. So lame.

Was hoping Carter would have gave Gaborik an old fashioned two hander at the end.

Speaking of terrible games, game 2 2009 was my first playoff game. Lost in OT after Gleasons shot bumps off Havelid and goes into the net. For regular season, the Buffalo shootout last year where the puck went over Kovy's stick. Probably the low point of last year, saw some guy throw his Kovy jersey over the boards on to the ice at the end. Was also at the building two days later for his OT winner against the Oilers, ironically.

Rupp has a major height advantage on Jansen although I believe Jansen to be the tougher guy. He's got some stamina man..he just never gets winded. The fact that Clarkson lost that fight to Dubinsky (in my opinion) was pretty much how the rest of the game went, embarrassing. Clarkson was starting to wind up, getting in a few good punches then, WAP, left jab by Dubinsky (with his head down) and Clarkson falls. So lame.

Did I miss something? I'm pretty sure Dubinksy threw Clarkson to the ice.