Norway

Draft Prospects

NHL.com Previews and Blog

Group A

Group B

Blog

Free WJC Guides (.pdf)
Youngblood 2014 WJC Special Edition
ISS 2014 WJC Guide (add Guide to Cart, and use Coupon FREEWJC at Checkout)

Hockey Prospectus

European draft prospects in the WJC

The United States of Hockey
2014 World Junior Championship Preview
Team USA Preview

Team USA Schedule (Games carried live on NHL Network and NHL.com)
12/26 — vs. Czech Republic — 11:30 a.m.
12/28 — vs. Slovakia — 7:30 a.m.
12/29 — vs. Germany — 9 a.m. ET
12/31 — vs. Canada — 11:30 a.m. ET
1/2 — Quarterfinals — TBD
1/4 — Semifinals — TBD
1/5 — Medal Games — TBD

Devils Prospect Tidbits:

Buzzing the Net USA Preview:

Forward Stefan Matteau (Albany Devils, AHL): Was cut from the '13 squad but provides some beef along the boards. "He has NHL experience — which you can’t put a price tag on — and I think he’s going to be very useful for our team," Barber said. "Just his size and power. I don’t think the big games will get to him."

From the free ISS WJC Guide:

Steven Santini – A physical defensive d-man who thrives when the game is on the line and intensity is high, Santini could prove to be the most reliable defender on the US team. He can log big minutes and play in the most crucial situations. He was selected as the top defensemen at the U-18 World Championships in Sochi last April. Santini does all the little things on the ice that can go easily unnoticed to the untrained hockey eye. When he gets in a rhythm of physical play he can be as fierce of an opponent as they come and has forwards second guessing themselves as they cross into the offensive zone. He doesn't play a flashy game on the puck but shows confidence in making simple, smart passes to advance the puck. He is a born leader who will do what it takes to win whether wiping out the opposition low, blocking shots or dropping the mitts.

Other:

Worth noting that highly ranked 2014 draft prospect, Kasperi Kapanen (FIN), will miss the WJC with an injured shoulder. Also really interested in seeing how 2015 draft eligibles C Connor McDavid (CAN), C Jack Eichel (USA), and LW Pavel Zacha (CZE) do in this tournament against older competition. Besides the USA games, it looks like NHL Network will have a decent amount of other games which is awesome.

Team USA:

United States of Hockey has a preview post up for their 1st game against the Czech Republic, Thursday at 11:30 AM ET.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Finally caught up on the two televised games. Results as expected, felt a bit bad for the German team. Looking forward to seeing how Germany plays against Slovakia tomorrow. I really want to see how a guy like Dominik Kahun does against lesser opposition.

I really liked how Matteau and Santini did today for the US. Matteau was showing some good vision and embraced the physical role he has. Santini is so technically sound, I'm really excited about him. Awesome to see Jack Eichel not only playing in the tournament this young but playing a big role for the US.

Day 1 Scores
Canada 7 - Germany 2
USA 5 - Czech Republic 1
Russia 11 - Norway 0
Sweden 5 - Switzerland 3

The USA - Slovakia game felt like 2 different games within one.

Dominant 1st period for the US with 22 shots and 2 PPG's to the Slovaks 11 shots. US added a 3rd goal early in the 2nd period before the game became a penalty fest which resulted in special teams play for the majority of the period. Slovakia capitalized on their PP twice to cut the US lead to 3-2. US with only 9 shots that period to the Slovaks 11. Better 3rd period for the US but it wasn't until they got the insurance goal that things felt calmer and they eventually dominated the game like they did in the 1st again. Outshot Slovakia 16-8 in the 3rd and 47-30 in the game.

Santini with his normal very effective but quiet game, moving the puck well and throwing a hit when the situation presented itself. Also, he wasn't on either of the PK units that got scored on. He did get beat 1 on 1 with 2 minutes left in the game in the corner that led to the 3rd Slovak goal. Other than that he was solid.

Matteau with an eventful game, getting involved physically, took an interference penalty that I felt was a weak call as the Slovak player literally skated into Matteau who was spinning around behind the net in the 1st. Took an awkward open ice hit in the 2nd, stayed down for a few seconds but got up to finish his shift with a strong body check. Matteau earned a PP for the US early in the 3rd but had a nearly costly turnover on it that Gillies bailed him out on. Late in the period Matteau ripped a shot top shelf from the slot for the 5th US goal.

17 year old Jack Eichel looks like the real deal competing against mostly 19 year olds.

Jon Gillies made a fair amount of huge stops, especially when the US was falling apart in the 2nd. Big game for him. No wonder he is one of the top goalies in the NCAA.

Anywhere to listen to these games online?  

NHL.com is streaming all of the USA games. I don't know if they are archiving them but I know tsn.ca is (at least for Canada's games).

The USA - Slovakia game felt like 2 different games within one.

Dominant 1st period for the US with 22 shots and 2 PPG's to the Slovaks 11 shots. US added a 3rd goal early in the 2nd period before the game became a penalty fest which resulted in special teams play for the majority of the period. Slovakia capitalized on their PP twice to cut the US lead to 3-2. US with only 9 shots that period to the Slovaks 11. Better 3rd period for the US but it wasn't until they got the insurance goal that things felt calmer and they eventually dominated the game like they did in the 1st again. Outshot Slovakia 16-8 in the 3rd and 47-30 in the game.

Santini with his normal very effective but quiet game, moving the puck well and throwing a hit when the situation presented itself. Also, he wasn't on either of the PK units that got scored on. He did get beat 1 on 1 with 2 minutes left in the game in the corner that led to the 3rd Slovak goal. Other than that he was solid.

Matteau with an eventful game, getting involved physically, took an interference penalty that I felt was a weak call as the Slovak player literally skated into Matteau who was spinning around behind the net in the 1st. Took an awkward open ice hit in the 2nd, stayed down for a few seconds but got up to finish his shift with a strong body check. Matteau earned a PP for the US early in the 3rd but had a nearly costly turnover on it that Gillies bailed him out on. Late in the period Matteau ripped a shot top shelf from the slot for the 5th US goal.

17 year old Jack Eichel looks like the real deal competing against mostly 19 year olds.

Jon Gillies made a fair amount of huge stops, especially when the US was falling apart in the 2nd. Big game for him. No wonder he is one of the top goalies in the NCAA.

NHL.com is streaming all of the USA games. I don't know if they are archiving them but I know tsn.ca is (at least for Canada's games).

What's the deal with this Jack Eichel cat? I read that he can't be drafted till 2015. Is that true?

USA beat Germany 8-0 on Sunday, Santini with a goal. Hoping to find a download of this game since my tv and internet went out Sunday morning and just now got repaired. USA currently 3-0-0 with 9 points on top of Group A. Big matchup 10:30 AM tomorrow against Canada who is in 2nd with 7 points.

What's the deal with this Jack Eichel cat? I read that he can't be drafted till 2015. Is that true?

Yep, 2015 draft eligible. Looks like a safe bet for the top 5 with the potential to go 2nd after McDavid. He seems pretty legit, earned his way onto the team, now playing 2nd line and PP minutes and contributing. Committed to Boston University for next season.

USA v Canada

0-0 after 1 period.

Santini is incredibly solid and I see now how his skating is an advantage.  We could see him soon.  His skating is a notch above everyone it seems.

Zachary Fucale is looking like the real deal, making around 11 or 12 stops in the first.  Gillies only had to stop 3 or 4.  Ditto on Jack Eichel, if he grows into his frame a bit more.

God I realized that these kids(Eichel, McDavid) are my brothers age being born in '97

I've been impressed with Matteau's linemate Hudson Fasching at the WJC and in the few games I've seen him play for Minnesota this year. He was one of my favorite prospects entering last year's draft due to his size and raw skill and I was hoping the Devils would take a chance on him. Hard to believe he went from a potential 1st rounder early on in the year into a 4th round pick. Almost a point per game player at Minnesota and has been one of the best USA forwards so far.

Not to knock Miles Wood since he was injured most of his draft year and I really can't get any info on him but I would've been thrilled if the Devils took Fasching at 100 instead of Wood.

Matteau and Santini with two (of the many) costly penalties for USA.

Santini's penalty was legit, a fluke but legit. Matteau's penalty was a joke and was the first of many calls and non-calls to go against the US. Russians got rewarded for diving and getting away with hits and were awarded the game. It's a shame since Santini was having a solid tournament and Matteau was playing one of his best games with a goal and an assist.

As maddening as NHL officiating can be at times, it is light years better than IIHF officiating. One reason I hate international hockey. I love the WJC but I'm not even going to bother watching the rest of it now.

Did anyone see the incident after Russia scored its final goal versus the USA today? The goal scorer skated right past the USA bench, gesturing to the whole team and rubbing it in. As he was skating past the last guy on the USA bench, the USA player -- I don't know his name but read that he's a Blackhawks draft pick -- gave the Russian player a stick to the face, leading to a few choice words between the benches.

Did anyone see the incident after Russia scored its final goal versus the USA today? The goal scorer skated right past the USA bench, gesturing to the whole team and rubbing it in. As he was skating past the last guy on the USA bench, the USA player -- I don't know his name but read that he's a Blackhawks draft pick -- gave the Russian player a stick to the face, leading to a few choice words between the benches.

Worst part was the Russian assistant (wasn't a coach I think) doing the BJ-move at the US bench.