My thoughts On Trading Marty

cgb6397

It doesn't seem like there is any benefit to the Devils in trading him though. If we trade him, are we getting back a goalie of equal (or greater) value? Certainly not. That means Kinkaid gets thrust into the backup role. God forbid Schneider pulls something we might be stuck with Kinkaid for 4-5 games. I know I've been hard on Marty, but just about anybody else would rather have him than some unproven AHL guy

How stupid would it look to see Martin Brodeur in a Calgary Flames uniform playing out the meaningless string while the Devils make the playoffs. It's going to be absurdly obvious that he forced his way out and would rather split time with a loser than stay on as an elder statesman backup for a winner. Woohoo, I started 4 more games than I would've had I stayed in Jersey. This makes packing up my life and trekking up north so worth it

It doesn't seem like there is any benefit to the Devils in trading him though. If we trade him, are we getting back a goalie of equal (or greater) value? Certainly not. That means Kinkaid gets thrust into the backup role. God forbid Schneider pulls something we might be stuck with Kinkaid for 4-5 games. I know I've been hard on Marty, but just about anybody else would rather have him than some unproven AHL guy

How stupid would it look to see Martin Brodeur in a Calgary Flames uniform playing out the meaningless string while the Devils make the playoffs. It's going to be absurdly obvious that he forced his way out and would rather split time with a loser than stay on as an elder statesman backup for a winner. Woohoo, I started 4 more games than I would've had I stayed in Jersey. This makes packing up my life and trekking up north so worth it

I really like Kinkaid, and I truly believe the kid can handle the pressure just fine imo.  I have nothing to base it on other than watching him though.  I can't get inside his head, and don't know for sure he can handle the pressure.  But I actually think the unrpoven goalie thing gets overblown imo.  I don't think a proven goalie is necessary to win in the playoffs or win a cup.  Again I have nothing to base my opinion on, but quite frankly I don't think there's much evidence to support the opposite either.

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies.  But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies. But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

Man, the guy just can't catch a break. He stays, he's a distraction. He goes, he's an ingrate that'll throw it all away for nothing important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think it'll come to that, for the simple reason teams not in the playoffs have no reason to play 41-year old rental goalies.  But it is a bit disconcerting that Marty would leave the Devils after all this time just to get maybe five more games the rest of the year.

Not as simple as that. It might have been discussed that Schneider will be the guy for pretty much most of the remaining games. Brodeur doesn't want to retire and feels he needs more games to prove he can get a job next season.

Man, the guy just can't catch a break. He stays, he's a distraction. He goes, he's an ingrate that'll throw it all away for nothing important.

I feel bad for Cory Schneider.  Can you imagine the pressure he'll be under?  Would you wanna be the guy that basically drove the living legend off the team he played 20 years with?

I never used the word ingrate...but let's face it he HAS been passively agressively asking for a trade since November on and off.  You wish more of these guys could be like Teemu and just play out the end of their career in peace instead of having an Alfie/St. Louis/Marty drama.  You're a Yankee fan, you mean to tell me you wouldn't be dismayed if Jeter started pulling this stuff and got himself traded?

Not as simple as that. It might have been discussed that Schneider will be the guy for pretty much most of the remaining games. Brodeur doesn't want to retire and feels he needs more games to prove he can get a job next season.

Unless he's literally getting two-three games the rest of the season (and I don't see the point in it being that low if we fall out of it), there isn't much of a difference between him being a backup here and him being a backup in Minnesota.  Now if he's going to be a backup in Montreal, that's different but probably unlikely.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On this site, hardly surprising.   I'll believe it when I see it, in the first place, it makes very little sense for any of the parties involved, him, the Devils, and the new team, unless he's getting some conditional 1/bad 2 type of deal that Jagr got last year, and that would be utterly cracktastic.

They look like they are going to attempt a run and playing Cory 21 consecutive times seems like a horrible idea.   Kinkaid couldn't get horrendous Moose out of the net, so you can forget about him actually playing.

Clearly he intends on playing again next season and knows full well it won't be in NJ. He feels he has something left to give and if 1 of the 30 GMs in the NHL is willing to give him a shot, then good for him. I think this has now become more about next year than this. He probably feels he needs more PT this season to show he isn't finished to get the next contract for 2014-15.

I don't want to see Marty go, and it will definitely be weird to see him in another uniform. But this is Cory's team now and if Marty finds a situation where he gets what he is looking for and the Devils can pickup some assets, then so be it. I will hold no ill will toward Marty.

On this site, hardly surprising.   I'll believe it when I see it, in the first place, it makes very little sense for any of the parties involved, him, the Devils, and the new team, unless he's getting some conditional 1/bad 2 type of deal that Jagr got last year, and that would be utterly cracktastic.

They look like they are going to attempt a run and playing Cory 21 consecutive times seems like a horrible idea.   Kinkaid couldn't get horrendous Moose out of the net, so you can forget about him actually playing.

Kinkaid couldn't get Hedberg out of the net had nothing to do with Kinkaid. At the end of the day, an AHL starter won't do much worse than a .900 save percentage goalie (Brodeur's exact percentage by the way).

I do think if the Devils trade Brodeur, they go try and find someone else with some NHL experience (don't really think that is neccessary, but this follows a pattern with Lou).

Anyway, the NTC report doesn't give us much ground breaking information. We knew Marty was very open to a deal, and probably told Lou some teams he'd be open to go. Hence the NTC being waived.

He's been perfectly fine in his last two indoor games.   That Kinkaid couldn't get Moose out of the net means a ton.   The coach won't play him, which means Cory has to play every game for the rest of the season.   And they can't afford to PAY to move Marty out and then get a backup.   

He's been perfectly fine in his last two indoor games.   That Kinkaid couldn't get Moose out of the net means a ton.   The coach won't play him, which means Cory has to play every game for the rest of the season.   And they can't afford to PAY to move Marty out and then get a backup.   

Why would you use a sample size of two games? We have the last 100+ regular season games. There's a good chance Pete doesn't give any Brodeur replacement, one with NHL experience or not, a chance when the playoffs are on the line.

I don't think Schneider ending the season starting 20+ games is such a bad thing. Deboer practically did the same with Brodeur over the last 30 games in 2012. The Devils are fighting like crazy for a playoff spot. Cory playing all the games gives them he best shot in my opinion.

Why would you use a sample size of two games? We have the last 100+ regular season games. There's a good chance Pete doesn't give any Brodeur replacement, one with NHL experience or not, a chance when the playoffs are on the line.

I don't think Schneider ending the season starting 20+ games is such a bad thing. Deboer practically did the same with Brodeur over the last 30 games in 2012. The Devils are fighting like crazy for a playoff spot. Cory playing all the games gives them he best shot in my opinion.

I just think it's a big risk to roll him out there that much without a first round pick, because if something happens it goes right off the cliff.   I don't think it makes any sense on any front unless someone makes a really stupid offer.

If Marty goes to any other team it's gotta be for another NHL player. Picks, especially later round picks in the 14 draft, aren't worth it.

2015 draft is supposed to be much deeper.  I don't know what kind of roster player he could possibly bring back.

I gotta agree with Satans Devils - selfishly, I don't want to see him in another sweater.

Is it really worth it? A couple more starts to do away with the "all with one team" thing?

I won't hold it against him, and it won't tarnish his legacy at all.. But he's still throwing away that very special accomplishment

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Only way Marty should be traded is if what we get in return helps the Devils this season.

That's not how it works though, and you know it. Marty is the exception - you know Lou is shopping around looking for teams that will let him play. Not the one that gives the best offer necessarily.

Christ if he goes to Minnesota and we have to face both Parise and Marty this month..

I gotta agree with Satans Devils - selfishly, I don't want to see him in another sweater.

Is it really worth it? A couple more starts to do away with the "all with one team" thing?

I won't hold it against him, and it won't tarnish his legacy at all.. But he's still throwing away that very special accomplishment

I think all this talk of playing with one franchise gets overblown.  That being said, it is cool to look at this page right here (http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=&year_max=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_goalie), and not see a TOT next to his name.

That's not how it works though, and you know it. Marty is the exception - you know Lou is shopping around looking for teams that will let him play. Not the one that gives the best offer necessarily.

Christ if he goes to Minnesota and we have to face both Parise and Marty this month..

At least it will be over quickly with the pain of seeing him in another uniform.  We won't have to wait until the end of April or anything like that.

I think all this talk of playing with one franchise gets overblown.  That being said, it is cool to look at this page right here (http://www.hockey-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=&year_max=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&birth_country=&franch_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=G&handed=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_goalie), and not see a TOT next to his name.

At least it will be over quickly with the pain of seeing him in another uniform.  We won't have to wait until the end of April or anything like that.

I wouldn't have guessed Richter was #2 in the whole most games only played with one team.  And freaking Lundqvist is #4 lol...Ryan Miller was #5 but that's done with now.

I didn't realize Kolzig played anywhere else till I clicked his link...eight forgettable games with Tampa toward the end.  That's what Marty's end may look like too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The one team talk is silly. It's about identifying yourself with one team. Brodeur will always be able to do that. If a trade happens, no one is going to give much thought to Brodeur's career or accomplishments with any other team than the Devils.

You can't say the same for Patrick Roy, Dominik Hasek, Ed Belfour, Glenn Hall, or Terry Sawchuk.