Lou On Mike And The Mad Dog

Voros19

Blah blah, how do you like the new NHL, etc.?, questions.

Said the arena in Newark is still going to go up. Talking now about last off-season and how he waited a bit too long with Niedermayer. A new coach is in the near future, and it appears Pat Burns is pretty much out of the question.

A little annoyed they didn't ask about Elias...

So he waited too long for Niedermayer and Niedermayer didn't keep him waiting? Interesting.

Sucks about Burns but it is probably for the best.

Well, he basically said that they waited for Niedermayer to make the decision, and that they sort of handcuffed themselves by doing that since he didn't end up signing.

Well, he basically said that they waited for Niedermayer to make the decision, and that they sort of handcuffed themselves by doing that since he didn't end up signing.

Yes, they were waiting for his decision. And, in the end, they couldn't deliver what he wanted, which was to play with his brother. But Lou said he felt he owed it to him because of what he had contributed to the team over the years to wait for the decision, but you can't put that kind of pressure on an organization again, because you wind up in the position they did, without the kind of options you need.

This was inresponse to a question about what he had learned from the first year under the new CBA...which makes mke wonder if he's closer to my opinion on Elias...you don't wait to see what he will do if he makes it to July 1st unsigned.

Edited by SueNJ97

I think we're all of the same mind - no waiting this one out -- put your best offer on the table before July 1 and then start on plan B immediately if you dont have Elias sewn up.

So what's plan B again?

Panic.

Oh, wait, you meant Lou's plan, didn't you? Sorry, I thought you wanted to know what the board's Plan B was. :doh1::blush:;)

I think we're all of the same mind - no waiting this one out -- put your best offer on the table before July 1 and then start on plan B immediately if you dont have Elias sewn up.

So what's plan B again?

Plan B is centered around damage control and Kool-Aid. I have no other specifics at this point.

So what's plan B again?

Plan B is to sign a mediocre LW to a one year deal, maybe sign a mediocre C to a 1 or 2 year deal, hope to make the playoffs, and wait for next season when there are much more lucrative free agents to be had.

Lou's a great GM, but more often than not a lousy interview (as are most GMs). He never gives you much more than the standard, "If there's a deal out there that we think can improve our team, we'll explore it" and the "We'd love to keep [whoever], but we have to be fiscally responsible in doing so." It's not like he's going to come out and let anyone know what his plans really are. The typical Lou Lamoriello (and most GMs)interview: You know just as much after the interview as you did before.

Having said that, it sounds like Lou's not going to sit around waiting for anyone ever again. Good. Last year there clearly wasn't a Plan B. I get the feeling if Elias doesn't sign by July 1, Lou's going to move quickly to do whatever he has to to make up for losing him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think Lou knows now that Elias isn't going to sign with the Devils before July 1. I also think Lou knows that he can't make an offer now or after July 1 that Elias will accept. That's why Lou is letting out the message he isn't going to wait and get caught like last season. I also think that Triumph has it correct two cheap mid level wings and a center and wait until 2007/2008 he will know then about the other payers that might go elsewhere, like Gomez if he only signs for 1 year this coming season.

Seriously, F Elias if he doesn't sign here. More so than Niedermayer. This team made him who he is and gave him two championships (and will give him more if he stays). I'm so sick of guys walking out the door on us only to languish in mediocrity.

And that mediocrity is a lot easier to take when you are sitting on a huge pile of money.

People on this board think Elias would say here for, say, 5.5 when he could go to friggin Florida (sorry, I thought that would be the team with the least talent in the NHL right now) for 8. That's 2.5M x, say, 4 years... 10 million dollars he loses. For 10M people on this board would become Ranger fans. Speak all you want about loyalty and this franchise, it is very easy for people on this board to put that ahead of a huge sum of money. The money is certainly less important when its someone else giving it away.

it's tough to play the loyalty card. we jump all over guys when they suck - take a look at how langenbrunner's been treated on this board. on one hand we love him when he scores the big goals, on the other we trash him for the stupid penalties and missed oportunities.

very few get a free ride from fans. as much as i hate it when players i like leave my team, i can never fault someone for going for more money. even if it's from a rival like the rangers. i hated holik for leaving and hated him for going to the rangers. but i don't blame him. frankly, patrik can have any reason he likes, should he chose to leave. none will soothe the wound should he go, but he's earned the right to go where he pleases for how ever much he can get. the devils won two cups and he played a major factor in both. he's been their best player not named brodeur, stevens, or neidermayer for the last five years.

i'll be bitterly disappointed if he leaves, but i'll hold no ill will.

He means guys like Guerin, Johnny Mac, Holik, etc.

And Niedermayer. You can talk to me again when he wins a cup with any other team but the Devils. The WCF may as well be 16th place by the time 2007 rolls around.

And Niedermayer. You can talk to me again when he wins a cup with any other team but the Devils. The WCF may as well be 16th place by the time 2007 rolls around.

I have no clue what you're talking about - the Ducks have the best young forward prospect corps in all of hockey possibly. Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, and Ryan will all be excellent players for the next 10 years.

I'm glad Niedermayer walked because he wasn't worth a max contract, at least not on this team as it is currently - he's not a good enough PP QB to deserve one. The 'Canes are showing you can with with a solid top 6.

I have no clue what you're talking about - the Ducks have the best young forward prospect corps in all of hockey possibly. Perry, Getzlaf, Lupul, and Ryan will all be excellent players for the next 10 years.

I'm glad Niedermayer walked because he wasn't worth a max contract, at least not on this team as it is currently - he's not a good enough PP QB to deserve one. The 'Canes are showing you can with with a solid top 6.

the way the ducks used him this year he was worth 6 million dollars. It was amazing he totally controled the transition game, and just kept on setting up beauchimen for one timers. He's on the ice for 30 minutes a night, and completly dominates play. I'd love to have him back.