Patrick Elias overpaid?

mort4345

I realize this topic will be heresy for some, but I've actually been thinking about this for some time: Is our beloved captain overpaid? To sum up, he basically landed a 7-year deal for $42 ($7.5 million next year, a contract average of $6 million). Last year he posted 69 points (21 goals, 48 assists) and had 8 PP goals. In the playoffs he scored on PP goal and had 9 assists. Elias generally plays rather soft, is non existent during shootouts and seems to go on prolonged cold streaks at inopportune times. Not that it's his fault, but his bout with hepatitis seems to have some lingering effects as well. And could that illness weigh him down in the future? Not to be harsh, but it seems to me that packaging Elias (could we put something together with Vancouver?) might not be the craziest idea in the world. Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all agree Elias did not have a great year last year and he still was (I think) the leader in points. Elias at his best overpaid? No. We'll have to see what kind of year he has this coming year. There was a lot of pressure on him this season being the new captain with the new contract. First scoring line, first powerplay line... If we focus on the new faces, and maybe Parise - Zajac- and Langenbrunner will handle the scoring... Elias plays better out of the spotlight it seems

I would contend Elias doesn't play soft at all. On the top 2 lines he probably ended up having the most big hits for the year, followed closely by Langs, and then nobody else even close to either of them. Elias also doesn't have a problem going anywhere on the ice regardless of the physical contact he may attract.

At the end of the day Elias is one of the best 2 way wingers in the game and the contract he has is a good deal, IMO.

you know, I swear

it's threads like this that make me want to shut the place down for the summer

the stupid factor is BEYOND out of control now..... :argh:

you know, I swear

it's threads like this that make me want to shut the place down for the summer

the stupid factor is BEYOND out of control now..... :argh:

You know you are a die hard Devil's fan when you get this upset at this kind of post....

oops... wrong thread.

Elias's contract is significantly better than almost every deal signed during this FA period, and he is a better player than every single player who went to market this off-season.

This should just about end discussion on this thread.

Come on Crasher, I don't think that is fair in this case. This guy brought on opinion and gave his reasons for it. I definitely don't agree but it wasn't a plug for a site and the poster gave some thought to it which led into a discussion.

I'm admittedly not a big fan at all of Elias, but Triumph is right...in this day and age, I guess we're considered lucky to have a guy with potential for a point a game (maybe more) for that sort of money. Especially since, at least with every Devils signing, everyone is really only focusing on one or two solid seasons that these guys had, and are expecting similar production.

However, I can't agree with the captaincy at all.

$6 million a season for 21 goals and 69 points for Elias versus $7.3 million a season for 13 goals and 60 points for Gomez. Seems like Elias is a steal.

Almost every contract in the league seems like a steal compared to the Gomez contract.

Jeter at like 16 million is a 'steal' compared to ARod at 25 million, it doesn't matter, they're both still overpaid.

I'm not going to contradict what I just said above, I'm not complaining that Elias is overpaid (well, before this offseason I was), but you can't just compare it with Gomez's contract and call it a steal.

Elias just had a rough year. Look at the way he played the year before this after he came back from the hepatitis, and how he played against the Rags in the playoffs that year. Remember the soccer kick pass?? He'll be fine. Although, I do agree I don't see him as a captain.

Here's what you have to realize, Elias was very underpaid with his first two contracts. Secondly, could he have received that same money on the open market? Without question. I could have things mixed up, but I have heard that Sather offered him more money than the Devils last year and he turned it down. Part of me thinks he was signed before July 1st, so I could just be off here.

Now, want to say his production hasn't matched his salary? That is one thing. However, if that is the reason you are going to trade him, you are not going to get fair market value for his potential. You never do on salary dumps.

Edited by Matteau#32

They guy had a horrible year last season by his standards, and he still lead this team in points.

He can forecheck when needed, the guy is not soft in any way, he might have lost a little bit of grit due to the ilness, but he is no way overpaid.

If he was a FA this year i expect he would have been the #1.

I expect him to have a great year for us this season.

Almost every contract in the league seems like a steal compared to the Gomez contract.

Jeter at like 16 million is a 'steal' compared to ARod at 25 million, it doesn't matter, they're both still overpaid.

I'm not going to contradict what I just said above, I'm not complaining that Elias is overpaid (well, before this offseason I was), but you can't just compare it with Gomez's contract and call it a steal.

Everyperson who joined this site int he past 2 weeks suggest trading Elias, for a number of reasons thats a no. His contract is alot more valuable, hes playing for less than people of his calibar are playing. Hes a leader, he loyal to Lou, theres no reason to trade him.

Elias isnt going anywhere, his contract is fine, he knows how to play. Notice his numbers were down but so was the entire lines, Gomez, Gionta all had numbers less than where they should be. With the new energy Zubrus and Gionta healthy we could look for better numbers and if anything to think if Elias is underpaid.

I think the Elias question is one of the more interesting ones. Good fodder for discussion, Crasher (and this is a discussion forum, isn't it?).

To me Elias is an enigma. He led the team in points last year with some pretty good numbers, and the party line is he's the "obvious choice" for captain as far as the players are concerned.

Even with all that said, every time I watched him he seemed too pretty with the puck, tried to do too much, and was afraid to shoot far too often. He rarely made franchise-player type moves with the puck. Above all, he never seemed to inspire much from his fellow players, although I'm not sure how I'm judging that.

So what's the bottom line? Do his points tell the real story, or are they misleading?

- Jeff