Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Judging by their FB, it looks like EAH is open. Anyone been there yet? Want to know how it is.

I stopped by there on Saturday to grab a beer before the NY Liberty playoff game (free tix to STH)...

Interior: Very nice interior! Mainly dark wood. The bar must have cost them a fortune to build. It just looks very very nice inside.

Beer: 20 beers on tap, as well as a wide variety of premium liquor and wines.. 19 beers consistently on tap, with 1 beer that they only buy a keg of and when it's gone, it's gone.. The tap variety is pretty diverse, ranging from PBR ($4) to Victory Golden Monkey ($7).. Definitely a wide selection that has something you'll definitely want

Food: I didn't order anything, but I looked at the menu and got to see what other people were eating.. It looks good and the other customers seemed happy with their meals.. They have a pretty standard selection including soups, salads, burgers, pizzas (they have a ton of pizzas including one called "Jersey Devil" which has sausage and hot peppers on it), sandwiches, and desserts.. I might have left something out but that's the general variety.. Everything looks like it's done with premium quality.. The pizza selection is huge and has a lot of great sounding topping.. The burgers also sound great!

Staff: Super friendly.. One of the bartenders came over to talk beer with us, and he knew his stuff

Price: lol.. Well the best way to describe this is to just say that it's priced for the location.. You want a fantastic meal and drinks while being a pucks throw away from the arena entrance? Well, it'll cost you.. From what I remember: Pizzas are around $16 for regular and $20 for large.. French onion soup is actually the best deal at $5, and would make a great quick meal if you're in a rush before a game.. Burgers are a whopping $12 for the basic and you have to pay $1 extra for cheese and premium toppings (it comes with LTO).. Can't remember anything else, but just keep in mind you are paying for the location as much as you are the quality

Overall: This place is awesome.. Great beer selection, sweet interior, good looking food, and friendly staff.. But it'll cost you, so I'll probably only come here when I'm in a rush to grab a French Onion and a beer before getting in to the arena for a game

I stopped by there on Saturday to grab a beer before the NY Liberty playoff game (free tix to STH)...

Interior: Very nice interior! Mainly dark wood. The bar must have cost them a fortune to build. It just looks very very nice inside.

Beer: 20 beers on tap, as well as a wide variety of premium liquor and wines.. 19 beers consistently on tap, with 1 beer that they only buy a keg of and when it's gone, it's gone.. The tap variety is pretty diverse, ranging from PBR ($4) to Victory Golden Monkey ($7).. Definitely a wide selection that has something you'll definitely want

Food: I didn't order anything, but I looked at the menu and got to see what other people were eating.. It looks good and the other customers seemed happy with their meals.. They have a pretty standard selection including soups, salads, burgers, pizzas (they have a ton of pizzas including one called "Jersey Devil" which has sausage and hot peppers on it), sandwiches, and desserts.. I might have left something out but that's the general variety.. Everything looks like it's done with premium quality.. The pizza selection is huge and has a lot of great sounding topping.. The burgers also sound great!

Staff: Super friendly.. One of the bartenders came over to talk beer with us, and he knew his stuff

Price: lol.. Well the best way to describe this is to just say that it's priced for the location.. You want a fantastic meal and drinks while being a pucks throw away from the arena entrance? Well, it'll cost you.. From what I remember: Pizzas are around $16 for regular and $20 for large.. French onion soup is actually the best deal at $5, and would make a great quick meal if you're in a rush before a game.. Burgers are a whopping $12 for the basic and you have to pay $1 extra for cheese and premium toppings (it comes with LTO).. Can't remember anything else, but just keep in mind you are paying for the location as much as you are the quality

Overall: This place is awesome.. Great beer selection, sweet interior, good looking food, and friendly staff.. But it'll cost you, so I'll probably only come here when I'm in a rush to grab a French Onion and a beer before getting in to the arena for a game

Thanks for the review Colin.

It sounds like and judging from what I see, it is basically BCBG II, just with slightly better food.

Thanks for the review Colin.

It sounds like and judging from what I see, it is basically BCBG II, just with slightly better food.

Yeah they definitely seem pretty similar.. Hopefully competition forces their prices down, but it's probably wishful thinking (although it could mean price drops for the restaurants further from the arena as people may not look beyond what is right next to the Rock)

Edited by Colin226

Yeah they definitely seem pretty similar.. Hopefully competition forces their prices down, but it's probably wishful thinking (although it could mean price drops for the restaurants further from the arena as people may not look beyond what is right next to the Rock)

I really think they need more of these fast-casual places like Uber Burger in the immediate area around the arena. That place makes great burgers and they cost less than $10. I think these would do better than high-end places as the local population can afford these better than the high-end restaurants and can provide revenue other than game-day crowds.

There were rumors that the Devils have moved the local food vendors out of the arena in favor of the crappy can-get-anywhere food of City Grill. However on their FB the Devils have announced that they have usually around 8-10 local vendors and it changes every year and they will still have Taste of Newark there.

However, there is a small rumor that Jimmy Buffs is out. Can anyone confirm this? If so, here is my reaction to that news:

Who knows about the "outside" stands, I guess we'll see at the season opener. It does seem like Buffs is out, though.

If Jimmy Buff's is out, I have officially nothing to eat at the Rock except maybe Newark Nut Company for a snack and will be eating in places around the arena prior to the game.

BTW when are they getting rid of that sushi place? That is the absolute worst meal I have ever had anyplace.

I'll be sad Jimmy Buffs is gone. I'll still overpay for some Hobby's every once in awhile if they're around still though.

Same.. It's too expensive at $12, but my god there is nothing better than a corned beef sandwich with chips, a pickle, and slaw during a hockey game.. JB's was awesome and I hope it's still there

I finally tried Uber Burger! I have to say it was well worth it! Chico and Matt Loughlin sat two tables away from me. We were the only three people in their for most of the time. Lou even walked by the shop a few times.

Uber Burger is awesome

Do the outsourced food stands accept the food cards? If so, money is no object. :lol:

I had the sushi once from the stand and it was okay. Far from special. I assume it's the same place the club sushi came from and it was real hit or miss in there. It was normally okay, a few times great, and a couple of times, borderline rotten.

Do the outsourced food stands accept the food cards? If so, money is no object. :lol:

I had the sushi once from the stand and it was okay. Far from special. I assume it's the same place the club sushi came from and it was real hit or miss in there. It was normally okay, a few times great, and a couple of times, borderline rotten.

The sushi is bangin in the Platinum Lounge.. I mean, they have their own private chef and you can order whatever you want so that helps

Same.. It's too expensive at $12, but my god there is nothing better than a corned beef sandwich with chips, a pickle, and slaw during a hockey game.. JB's was awesome and I hope it's still there

Uber Burger is awesome

I never quite cared for Hobby's really. To me they were at the arena and at the actual location a couple blocks away an average deli at best. IDK just my opinion really.

Losing JB in my opinion is worse than losing Doc. This is quite possibly the worst Devils-related news I have heard in a few years.

I'm gonna be really bummed if Jimmy Buff's is gone.

I remember going to the first game at The Rock and being excited to see Ballantine among the beers available because my Grandfather used to work at the Ballantine brewery in Newark. When I told my Dad about it, he began reminiscing about meeting his old man in Newark to get Jimmy Buff's with him on his lunch break. Then, lo and behold, Jimmy Buff's appeared at The Rock! Every time we went to a game together, my Dad and I would get a pair of JB doubles and Ballantines. At the risk of sounding cheesy, it was a cool bit of generational father-son bonding.

Then they stopped carrying Ballantine. And now Jimmy Buff's is gone too? Seriously. This sucks.

I'm gonna be really bummed if Jimmy Buff's is gone.

I remember going to the first game at The Rock and being excited to see Ballantine among the beers available because my Grandfather used to work at the Ballantine brewery in Newark. When I told my Dad about it, he began reminiscing about meeting his old man in Newark to get Jimmy Buff's with him on his lunch break. Then, lo and behold, Jimmy Buff's appeared at The Rock! Every time we went to a game together, my Dad and I would get a pair of JB doubles and Ballantines. At the risk of sounding cheesy, it was a cool bit of generational father-son bonding.

Then they stopped carrying Ballantine. And now Jimmy Buff's is gone too? Seriously. This sucks.

Jimmy Buff's is gone.. They did not renew their contract (for whatever reason), but the organization is committed to keeping this section for local businesses

I actually got some insider info on who 1 of the new tenants will be, but they asked us not to share until it's official.. I'm pretty excited though, as it's something I've wanted to see at the Rock

Jimmy Buff's is gone.. They did not renew their contract (for whatever reason), but the organization is committed to keeping this section for local businesses

I actually got some insider info on who 1 of the new tenants will be, but they asked us not to share until it's official.. I'm pretty excited though, as it's something I've wanted to see at the Rock

How about a hint? Is it something local to Newark or local to NJ?

And about JB being gone: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of? There are multiple new eateries coming to the Rock? Does that mean that more than Jimmy Buff's is gone?

One of? There are multiple new eateries coming to the Rock? Does that mean that more than Jimmy Buff's is gone?

From what I can tell, there will be more than 1 new tenant

Thanks and I will be at the Rock tonight. Will that stand be open or not till opening night?

I also have a few ideas on who it might be....

I don't think the Taste of Newark opens until the first game

It's Mezzanote, isn't it. :evil:

I guess you'll find out in 2 weeks :giggle:

Edited by Colin226

How is Hells Kitchen? I go to Arena Bar all the time and I just want to see if its worth trying.

Hell's Kitchen is the bomb-diggity.. Great food, good drinks (always have pregame specials), and you can't beat the dark and red atmosphere.. It does get fairly crowded before bigger games, though, so make reservations if you plan to go before a big game