Get Rid of 'You Suck'

pattyelias

it's negative. that is my problem. it emphasizes the fact that the other team gave up a goal instead of the fact that our team scored. and one wonders why there are so many negative fans around here - our fan base is obsessed with being not-rangers and not-team-that-just-got-scored-on.

i get the douchechills every time i am at a game after a goal is scored. shouldn't happen like that.

This.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone really think that asking or telling fans not to chant "You suck" after a goal is magically going to stop them?

If people hate it that much it will go away on its own.

I'm all for a new song which would stop the 'you suck'. Just because we're rowdy hockey

fans doesn't mean we should shout insults which you have to explain to kids or cover

ears for. And yes, for the most part, hockey should be enjoyed by families & kids too,

they're the future fans. And why is it, when I type, the words go over into the smiley

faces & disappear? Does that happen to anyone else?

When we were in the Press Box over your section we heard some girl keep trying to get the Let's Go Devils thing going. 208/9 is louder and way funnier. You know this. :D

I think this was the Islanders game? Half our section was Isles fans yelling at us.. We wasted our energy yelling back at them.. We're more of a comedic area than 209/8.. I think having fewer STH doesn't help either as we usually have a few fans for the other team in our section (and the usual Rangers fan wearing his jersey to a non-Devs v. Rags game)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Which brings me to this thread.. When I have to sit mere feet away from a bunch of loudmouth obnoxious Islanders fans saying things like "Hey where are all your fans?!" or (after the Isles goal) "Yann DANIS!! Thank god we got rid of him!!" then OF COURSE i'm going to yell YOU SUCK after the Devils goals.. Tell me otherwise and i'll chant it at you

Edited by Colin226

I'm all for a new song which would stop the 'you suck'. Just because we're rowdy hockey

fans doesn't mean we should shout insults which you have to explain to kids or cover

ears for. And yes, for the most part, hockey should be enjoyed by families & kids too,

they're the future fans. And why is it, when I type, the words go over into the smiley

faces & disappear? Does that happen to anyone else?

I have a kid too, and I plan on taking her to hockey games in the near future, but I don't kid myself...she's going to hear worse on TV, from her future classmates and playmates...hell, even from the players on the ice if we sit close enough. If you do your job as a parent, explain various behaviors of others as they happen, and don't expect the outside world to sanitize itself in your child's presence because you decided to reproduce (not YOU specifically of course, I'm speaking generally), then it's really not that much of a problem.

I have a kid too, and I plan on taking her to hockey games in the near future, but I don't kid myself...she's going to hear worse on TV, from her future classmates and playmates...hell, even from the players on the ice if we sit close enough. If you do your job as a parent, explain various behaviors of others as they happen, and don't expect the outside world to sanitize itself in your child's presence because you decided to reproduce (not YOU specifically of course, I'm speaking generally), then it's really not that much of a problem.

How do I type a standing ovation? Not to get off topic but this is how to be a parent.. I know so many kids who were sheltered growing up and ended up just getting mixed in with the bad crowd.. Obviously there is a line at games and some words should not be said, but "you suck" is about as harmless as any insult can get..

My two cents:

"Hey you suck!" was started at U of Maryland and is now chanted at U of Del, a Texas college which I forget, Baltimore Ravens, Washington Redskins, and Nashville Predators. Those are the only ones I know of and I'm sure there are plenty more. This won't be fading away. In my opinion, worse things are said on TV during daytime hours.

When I attended U of Maryland basketball games, the chant was yelled by 3/4 of the crowd, was very loud, and intimidated the opposing players. You could actually see their demeanor change. With that said, I don't expect professional NHL players to be phased by "you suck"; however I think taunting a goalie certainly can affect his performance. It would be nice to have a home-ice advantage, whatever it may be.

I don't mind it too too much....

But I think some fans should take their heads out of their asses and while we are losing or getting demolished like opening night or the Buffalo and Atlanta games, DON'T DO THE RANGERS SUCK OR YOU SUCK CHANTS. IT'S EMBARRASSING WHILE OUR TEAM IS GETTING CRAPPED ON.

when a goalie gives up a softie against us, there is no better way to taunt him and get him nervous. I don't think we should do it for every goal, but the softies will play with his mind. also, if we are getting blow out of water and we get one, please shut your mouth, no one cares that we are now only losing by 4 goals.

at least

HEY

YOU SUCK

<insert team we're actually playing> SUCKS

... this chant has something to do with the team ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED....

doing the idiot Rangers Suck whistle during a December game vs Calgary... really?? in 2009??? That needs to go.....

when a goalie gives up a softie against us, there is no better way to taunt him and get him nervous. I don't think we should do it for every goal, but the softies will play with his mind. also, if we are getting blow out of water and we get one, please shut your mouth, no one cares that we are now only losing by 4 goals.

Yeah but then you run into a debate during the game on which goal is a softy and you are also giving a lot of people in the arena too much credit to actually KNOW hockey.

I see quite a bit of over makeup-ed faces and over hair sprayed hair on trashy girls running around the arena that just yell out whatever anyone around them is saying to look like they know something. Yes the same girls that wouldn't recognize Marty Brodeur if he was running the checkout counter at Sephora.

I say keep it, and keep on chanting it. We already lack enough crowd passion and energy during games. This just adds that extra raucous element that is sorely missing amongst most Devs fans that I see at games.

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole. I can't tell you how many times I heard lines like "I just can't enjoy Devils hockey without RR pt 2".... You all made my life miserable for months with those phone calls (maybe not YOU all, but fans in general)...Now the team gives you the song back and you're complaining because people are adding to it?!?! Get over yourself and just be happy they scored an effin goal! :argh:

I do, however, agree with general consensus on the Rangers suck chant... that is juvenile and really needs to go unless we're playing the Rags. I love that there are people willing to cheer/chant, but perhaps we change it to <team we're playing> sucks? (and if you have a problem with "sucks" in general... grow up! Kids are going to hear it somewhere else anyway. It's a hockey game, not a playground).

-end rant-

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole. I can't tell you how many times I heard lines like "I just can't enjoy Devils hockey without RR pt 2".... You all made my life miserable for months with those phone calls (maybe not YOU all, but fans in general)...Now the team gives you the song back and you're complaining because people are adding to it?!?! Get over yourself and just be happy they scored an effin goal! :argh:

+1

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

I do, however, agree with general consensus on the Rangers suck chant... that is juvenile and really needs to go unless we're playing the Rags. I love that there are people willing to cheer/chant, but perhaps we change it to <team we're playing> sucks? (and if you have a problem with "sucks" in general... grow up! Kids are going to hear it somewhere else anyway. It's a hockey game, not a playground).

-end rant-

+2

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

-end rant-

:thumbsup: