‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

I think one way or another Zach decides quickly...he's getting married in like 3 weeks, I'm sure he wants the wedding to go A-OK and have all the contract crap done and behind him.

He's likely going to set the market. It will be done by Monday one way or another.

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Just spoke with two NHL sources who believe Parise to the Penguins is a very strong possibility.

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

you'd think that if he is a beat writer for a actual newspaper he wouldn't make sh!t up, who knows

if Parise did end up with the Penguins I would be extremely disappointed in him.

I would be heart broken to say the least. Ne one wants to see him go to a division rival.

@DarrenDreger: "Shane Doan wants to stay in Arizona, but ownership instability may force him to test free agency."

If Parise does not resign is Doan is a possibility? He might not want to stay in the West if he leaves PHX.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Does anyone know exactly how those contract discussion goes?

Cause really i just cant imagine how it can possibly take so long....

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

I just dont get it, does anyone here have a clue?

You give a price... He gives a prices... Lenght... Etc and you do a little tug war with numbers trying to reach an agreement... But i just cant imagine all those conversations taking THAT LONG... Especially since both side must have known everyone's intentions after last season? Id assume that the NTC and everything come at the end once the structure and everything is established... I cant picture a discussion like that taking more than a few hours really?

It comes down to whether or not they get a year of free Sirius XM and covered oil changes for the first 30,000 miles

unless those two NHL sources are Don Meehan and Wade Arnott, I don't really care. Anyone can see that Parise to the Penguins is a distinct possibility if both sides want to make it happen.

Even if they were Meehan and Arnott I wouldn't care, cause I'd suspect they were intentionally leaking rumors about the Pens just to get more leverage on Lou.

Edited by NJDevs4978

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)

2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give

3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.

4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

For all we know Parise may still just want to see whats out there.

There are a ton of variables at play right now.

1. The Devils ownership issue (do we have the money?)

2. What $$ Parise wants and what Lou is willing to give

3. Length, distribution, clauses, etc.

4. Does ZP really want to stay?

This is his biggest deceision. This will determine where he will live and play for the majority of his career.

I just hope something happens today even if its not ZP related. Maybe resigning someone.

I would say that if there isn't a deal by end of tomorrow he is defiantly going to hit the market. I think he will anyways.

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.

I think the ownership issue is a bit overrated. It's a salary cap league, so if Parise gets more money, someone else gets less. It more or less evens out. The only way that finances become an issue depends on how front-loaded the contract is, and how many fake years there are. The Kovy amendment to the CBA makes the fake years more difficult to work in.

How much he wants to stay is nothing more than speculation. So far as I can tell, there is not a single credible source that has anything to report on the issue, except for his public statements, which would be the same however he felt. The only exception might be his statements regarding the Rangers. He would really look like an ass if he went back on that.

While he could test the market, if he wants to stay for whatever reason, I think he takes a market rate deal prior to July 1, rather than run the risk that he's offered too much money to pass up from a crappy team.

I agree with this 100%. Plus, it's not like he was making $1 million this past season, and now they are talking of bumping his salary up to $7-8 million per. If the management of the team (Lou and ownership) feel this is a player worth making a long term commitment to, they will be able to make this deal happen.

The ownership issue is THE issue. I think Parise wants to stay. I think he can get a nice contract here - not what he'd get on the open market, and not Kovalchuk money, but nice. But if this is going to turn into a floor team while Vanderbeek continues to pull his Worm-from-Rounders act writ large, it's going to turn into a terrible situation quickly, because this team doesn't have enough young players to make it into a Stanley Cup contender in the near future as a floor-ish team. It'd be Parise and Kovalchuk taking up $18M and the rest of the team would be getting $40 M. Tough to win that way.

The thing is, if Parise does get a fair contract, he can be moved if he wants out. Kovalchuk's contract is just about unmovable even with the season he had.

The ownership issue is THE issue. I think Parise wants to stay. I think he can get a nice contract here - not what he'd get on the open market, and not Kovalchuk money, but nice. But if this is going to turn into a floor team while Vanderbeek continues to pull his Worm-from-Rounders act writ large, it's going to turn into a terrible situation quickly, because this team doesn't have enough young players to make it into a Stanley Cup contender in the near future as a floor-ish team. It'd be Parise and Kovalchuk taking up $18M and the rest of the team would be getting $40 M. Tough to win that way.

The thing is, if Parise does get a fair contract, he can be moved if he wants out. Kovalchuk's contract is just about unmovable even with the season he had.

I don't think we'll ever be a floor team, more like a middle-of-the pack to top 3rd. So far as I can tell, the team hasn't had trouble being current on its debt payments, save the advance that it got this year. It's really the balloon payment that's the issue. That's unobtainable whether total salary is $5 million more or $5 million less than what was paid out this year. Plus, I think creditors look at the $30 million in revenue the team brought in during the playoffs, and will realize that you need to spend money to make money. That is unless there's a lot of faith in Lou that he can get similar results with a lot less.

I also think Kovy is more movable than you think, so long as there isn't a huge drop off in his performance in the next three years. He's got a lower cap hit than any major free agent is going to have going forward, and there are enough teams that make enough money to afford it from a financial standpoint.

Or maybe I'm just being delusional.

I don't think we'll ever be a floor team, more like a middle-of-the pack to top 3rd. So far as I can tell, the team hasn't had trouble being current on its debt payments, save the advance that it got this year. It's really the balloon payment that's the issue. That's unobtainable whether total salary is $5 million more or $5 million less than what was paid out this year. Plus, I think creditors look at the $30 million in revenue the team brought in during the playoffs, and will realize that you need to spend money to make money. That is unless there's a lot of faith in Lou that he can get similar results with a lot less.

I also think Kovy is more movable than you think, so long as there isn't a huge drop off in his performance in the next three years. He's got a lower cap hit than any major free agent is going to have going forward, and there are enough teams that make enough money to afford it from a financial standpoint.

Or maybe I'm just being delusional.

I agree on Kovy being moveable if need be. His hands, shot and passing will be that the last to go and he does have a very cap friendly contact

Re Parise- I hope people don't stress if we don't re-sign him. Of course we would be a bit worse off, but I don't think a team with financial issues should massively overpay for a player like Parise who will be a shell of his former self in five years. Let's face it: Parise will never beat you with a shot or a pass. Once his speed goes, he'll essentially become a checking forward. How many of you will be comfortable paying over 7 million for a 3rd liner?

Edited by SMantzas

I agree on Kovy being moveable if need be. His hands, shot and passing will be that the last to go and he does have a very cap friendly contact

That said, you only move Kovy as a last resort. He's an awesome player and has gotten a lot better since the trade. All things being equal, I think he has at least five or six more years playing at an elite (yes I consider him elite) or very high level.

And for me, it's almost a wash between Kovy and Parise.

That said, you only move Kovy as a last resort. He's an awesome player and has gotten a lot better since the trade. All things being equal, I think he has at least five or six more years playing at an elite (yes I consider him elite) or very high level.

And for me, it's almost a wash between Kovy and Parise.

I know ZP is better defensively, but he just isn't a game breaker. How the **** do you get out scored by a gimpy Kovalchuk? I feel dirty typing these things about Parise, but let's call a spade a spade. Parise will never take over a playoff

I know ZP is better defensively, but he just isn't a game breaker. How the **** do you get out scored by a gimpy Kovalchuk? I feel dirty typing these things about Parise, but let's call a spade a spade. Parise will never take over a playoff

Big shutdown defensemen like Pronger and Chara neutralize Zach in the corners pretty easily. Thankfully, there are not many of them but the images of Pronger making Parise his little b**** in the 2010 playoffs is still fresh.

I agree with this. If Zach leaves its a huge blow and theres no way to sugarcoat it, but if Zach gets 8-9 million from someone else, I think Kovalchuk is a better player at his price. He fits here like a glove now and was our best player this past year. If Kovy was healthy during the playoffs, we may have the Cup right now and he could've been THE reason and moreso than Zach or even Marty.

That being said, I'm reading speculation about trading Kovalchuk to fit Zach. This would anger me more than not re-signing Zach. I cannot see us going through all of what we did to bring Ilya in and then trading him. I can absolutely see him traded in the future, but just to fit Parise? No. If Zach wants to be "the man" so badly, he's surely not going to get that in sh!tsburgh. BTW, this http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matthew-Barry/If-NJ-Signs-Parise-Kovalchuk-Could-Be-Moved/125/45238 is Єklund (2.3% accurate)'s "source" for the Kovy baloney. A Kings blogger who posted an opinion piece now its got "sources" and can happen now lol.

fvck, I hate Єklund (2.3% accurate). He doesnt mention this once and then some blogger mentions it as pure speculation for the future and now it has "sources" and is a "possibility" now. I admit I fell for his schtick when he first started, but I just don't see how anyone could give him a dime for his charade at this point.

Edited by ghdi

I do not like comparing Parise to Kovalchuk because they bring two different styles to the team...which we need! Kovalchuk cannot carry the team, niether can Zach (maybe they can). This team is so potent and so dangeours when we have these two elite players on the ice every night. They bring so many different dynamics. Parise and Kovalchuk make the perfect offense. If Kovys playmaking abilitlies or shooting dominance cant get it done you have Parise who will never stop grinding until he jams one into the back of the net. Devils NEED these two players in order to have success.

Edited by Zubie#8

To add some more tea leaves to read, got a tweet from the official Devils twitter with a quote from Parise that "we want to try to get things worked out with New Jersey." Nothing new, but interesting that the team itself is publicizing it.

I totally agree with ZP basically being a 3rd line grinder 5-6 years from now. He simply doesn't have the same skillset and talent as someone like Kovy (or Nash) to carry him once age sets in. I hope we sign him to a 5-7 year deal at 7M a year.

I totally agree with ZP basically being a 3rd line grinder 5-6 years from now. He simply doesn't have the same skillset and talent as someone like Kovy (or Nash) to carry him once age sets in. I hope we sign him to a 5-7 year deal at 7M a year.

It is conceivable that he could live off of his "hockey sense" and still get by as a top 6 player, but otherwise I agree.

From http://triblive.com/sports/2082976-85/penguins-parise-suter-crosby-defenseman-free-million-salary-agency-believe

Armed with salary cap space — and a captain they believe can serve as hockey’s finest pitchman — the Penguins aim to go nuclear when NHL free agency opens July 1. Their plan is to pursue the two top players on the market, Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter and New Jersey winger Zach Parise, sources told the Tribune-Review this weekend at the NHL Entry Draft. Team sources said Crosby soon will sign a new contract in the range of 10 to 13 years with an average annual salary of between $9 million and $10 million and will try to recruit Parise, his longtime friend, and Suter.

The Penguins do not believe New Jersey would deal Parise’s rights to a division rival, but they are banking on a couple of selling points when he hits the market. Fresh off a run to the Stanley Cup Final with the Devils, for whom he served as captain, Parise prefers to play for a title contender, the Penguins believe. The Penguins are favored to win the Cup by Las Vegas bookmakers. Also, Parise and Crosby are good friends and share ties to a Minnesota prep school, Shattuck-St. Mary’s. Crosby is already in the ear of Parise about the possibility of playing together. Though confident they can land Parise in free agency, the Penguins believe he will receive a heavily front-loaded offer from at least one club, most likely the Minnesota Wild.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.