Frankenstorm, the return of the Nor Easters

DevilMinder

So the hype just hit overdrive when the last weather model has decided that yes the North east will get hit. After Irene last year I am going to better prepare for this one. We lost power and the ability to move on my street for a day and a half.

Filling waterjugs and checking batteries this time.

According to the President of JCP&L, their customers might lose power for 7-10 days due to the storm.

I am a PSE&G customer but if i was a customer of JCP&L I would be livid at this.

http://www.nj.com/ne..._customers.html

What do you expect, though? If the worst predictions bear out, the storm's gonna start the outlier rain/wind on Sunday and be in place until Thursday/Friday. If they can restore power 1-5 days after the storm ceases, that's not a horrid performance.

I am a PSE&G customer and was lucky last time with my power (no power for 13-ish hours), but I'm going to be ready to be without for days, all the way down to the fully-charged portable devices and some books on top of that, plus days worth of food and water.

What do you expect, though? If the worst predictions bear out, the storm's gonna start the outlier rain/wind on Sunday and be in place until Thursday/Friday. If they can restore power 1-5 days after the storm ceases, that's not a horrid performance.

I am a PSE&G customer and was lucky last time with my power (no power for 13-ish hours), but I'm going to be ready to be without for days, all the way down to the fully-charged portable devices and some books on top of that, plus days worth of food and water.

The fact that PSE&G had more customers without power last year yet had at least 90% of them restored within 3-5 days while it took JCP&L 10-14 days is really telling.

No matter what power is going to be knocked out for places and the wait to get it restored even with the best response will be measured in days. However with JCP&L putting this out there is a bad signal as it looks like they want to absolve themselves of any blame if things go awry. I wonder what PSE&G will tell their customers the wait time might be, if they even issue a warning.

I'm just waiting for the news release that says this hurricane isn't gonna be as bad as we think... again

don't these hurricanes always get downgraded and disappoint?

Last years was a pretty close call... hopefully we are that lucky again. Hopefully hoboken doesn't sink, last year even a day later a lot of the town was under water.

At first I was happy that Monmouth cancelled classes Monday and Tuesday, but as a JCP&L customer, I was already expecting to be without power for a lengthy time given their horrendous performance last year compared to the other energy companies before they made their announcement today.

Yeah, I still have to submit a few things through ecampus. Going to be a nightmare not even being able to connect.

Might even stay in tonight to get some things done. Torture.

One of the only things I hate most about storms is losing power. I typically love them otherwise. Even scary big ones. I worry about loss of life/property, but hunkered down inside, being able to play the stereo and have lights during a banger of storm is good with me. Without......fvck that.

I brought all my patio furniture inside today, filled the propane tank for my gas grill, bought some bottled water, etc.

What I really want to do for the future is get a portable generator and hook it up to my fridge, house lights and maybe TV, but right now I don't have the money for that.

Wow!! That price is insane!! I just finished filling up 2 30 gallon containers with drinking water, propane tank is filled, tons of ice....all electronic devices are fully charged (2 tablets, dvd players, laptops and cell phones.) Maybe next year I'll invest in a generator.

We're about 2 miles from the beach but no evac yet.

Be safe all!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2