Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

Being around a bunch of kids. (I like to curse at the players)

My peeve is being in a section with kids and some lunkhead feels its his 1st amendment right to squeeze as much profanity as he can into a game under the heading "I paid for this ticket, I can say what I want".

That and someone infront of me who gets up for every shot or check then stays standing until the next commercial break.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually hate being scolded that I should be wearing red at home games....

1. all my cooler jerseys are WHITE ones

2. I picked all the players I like more on white ones because WHITE SHOULD BE WORN BY THE HOME TEAM

3. I am protesting the "make it easier to wear third jersey dogma the league shoves down our throat

4. I saw them win a Stanley Cup in 2003 wearing that damn Madden white jersey (I might have worn it at home in 2000 also... but I drank so much that night damned if I remember :P) if it was good enough then it is CERTAINLY good enough NOW!!!

Yes I hate being told how I should support a team I pour BUCKETS of money into!! :rant:

I'd say I hate fans who have no idea what they are talking about. These 2 quotes were said during Gretzky's last season (98-99) by Ranger fans sitting behind me at 2 different games, one in NY, one in NJ.

"Gretzky sucks. I could score his 9 goals." (Keep in mind, he had like 50 assists that year.)

And this one, after Gretzky does a no-look behind the back pass that tips off the end of Kovalev's stick (and would have given him a near empty net.)

"Oh god, trade him! He's useless now!" And you know both of them were talking about how great he was in April when he retired.

Oh, and this one at a Devs-Pens game...

"Led Zeppelin is totally overrated. Incubus is a much better band." Listen... I like Incubus a lot, but really?

I'd say I hate fans who have no idea what they are talking about. These 2 quotes were said during Gretzky's last season (98-99) by Ranger fans sitting behind me at 2 different games, one in NY, one in NJ.

"Gretzky sucks. I could score his 9 goals." (Keep in mind, he had like 50 assists that year.)

And this one, after Gretzky does a no-look behind the back pass that tips off the end of Kovalev's stick (and would have given him a near empty net.)

"Oh god, trade him! He's useless now!" And you know both of them were talking about how great he was in April when he retired.

I agree. Gretzky was the greatest player to ever play the game. i cant stand people that bash him. He is the great one. No one will touch his skills for a loooong time. ovechkin, Crosby, they're good but not gretzky good..... Some "hockey fans" just dont get it.

Oh, and this one at a Devs-Pens game...

"Led Zeppelin is totally overrated. Incubus is a much better band." Listen... I like Incubus a lot, but really?

Thats Hilarious!!!

Rangers Suck chant when we are losing to them or behind in the standings or not playing them

+1

I also wanted to add that, for those of you who hate people who explain games to others, for some odd reason, I spend alot of time explaining American/Canadian sports to foreingers. Twice during Devils games, I've had people sitting next to me who tapped me on the shoulder, asking what was going on. This also happened with a German family in Toronto (it was a Yankees/Blue Jays game) and a group of I think Russians at Shea Stadium. I've also done a tutorial at one of the rare football games I've been to.

Personally, I think if you spend some time explaining the game to somebody, you're doing your part to spread the game to new fans. If you tell them to piss off, they wont come back. If you love hockey, you can take 10 minutes during the game to help somebody else love hockey. Just my opinion.

People yelling shoot while on the powerplay. In most cases, you only need to score once in 2 minutes, so let the players set up a high percentage shot. Plus, the idiots can't see from their seats if the player has a clear lane to the net, so maybe that's why he's not shooting. If he shot anyway, I'm sure the fans would jut be overjoyed by getting the shot blocked and giving up a shorthanded breakaway.

Sorry, just needed to +1 here as well.

Unfortunately, real hockey doesn't work like NHL '94...you can't just take a shot from the circle and have it magically go in everytime. If only our fans would realize that... :D

The guys who yell "HIT HIM" regardless of the situation.

Zero leg room in the upper deck. And I'm only 5'10"

Some teen who bounced his leg up and down all game since he's had far too much energy drink, and texts someone the entire game. What a waste of a ticket.

People who stand up or lean forward for too long, or at the worst times.

Some teen who bounced his leg up and down all game since he's had far too much energy drink,

haha I actually do that sometimes. It's like an involuntary tick I inherited from my mother (thanks ma!). I don't even notice it until co-workers complain that their computer monitors are shaking :lol: . I don't spend the game texting people so I don't think you were referring to me, but let me take this time to apologize in advance if my leg shake annoys anyone at future games.

My biggest peeves:

Buffoons who do the "Rangers suck" chant while we are playing a game against another team.

I would rather they just yell: "I am a petty, insecure dolt" before the game so everyone knows where its coming from.

Other peeve:

Watching from the packed upper section, while the lower level corporate seats collect dust.

Edited by MantaRay

My biggest peeves:

Buffoons who do the "Rangers suck" chant while we are playing a game against another team.

I would rather they just yell: "I am a petty, insecure dolt" before the game so everyone knows where its coming from.

Other peeve:

Watching from the packed upper section, while the lower level corporate seats collect dust.

Well if u are in the upper deck u are just as guilty as the ones next to u for not filling the lower bowl ;)

People yelling shoot while on the powerplay. In most cases, you only need to score once in 2 minutes, so let the players set up a high percentage shot. Plus, the idiots can't see from their seats if the player has a clear lane to the net, so maybe that's why he's not shooting. If he shot anyway, I'm sure the fans would jut be overjoyed by getting the shot blocked and giving up a shorthanded breakaway.

Bang on....this annoys me to no end...as if the player hadn't thought of shooting already. The game looks so easy from the stands.

Not to single you out, because I have seen a bunch of people list this as a peeve, but one of my personal peeves is the people who quietly thumb their noses at the fans doing the Rangers Suck chants. To me, the people who think that chant is below them are more insecure than the fans enjoying a rivalry, even if those rivals aren't in the building. I say that because most people who are anti-Rangers Suck have "It makes us look bad" as one of their primary reasons. Concern over how others perceive you is pretty much the definition of insecure.

At least the Rangers Suck people are making some freakin noise. How anyone can look down on other fans for making noise when our arena is a library most nights is beyond me. Let's Go Devils would be better, but the same fans who look down on Rangers Suck chants also tend to sit on their hands for that too. Take what you can get, people. Home ice advantage doesn't create itself. And be thankful we have a rivalry heated enough to have half the arena voice its hatred for said rival when they aren't in town. Imagine being a Bluejackets fan. Ugh.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into another "Rangers Suck or no Rangers Suck" thread.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Not to single you out, because I have seen a bunch of people list this as a peeve, but one of my personal peeves is the people who quietly thumb their noses at the fans doing the Rangers Suck chants. To me, the people who think that chant is below them are more insecure than the fans enjoying a rivalry, even if those rivals aren't in the building. I say that because most people who are anti-Rangers Suck have "It makes us look bad" as one of their primary reasons. Concern over how others perceive you is pretty much the definition of insecure.

At least the Rangers Suck people are making some freakin noise. How anyone can look down on other fans for making noise when our arena is a library most nights is beyond me. Let's Go Devils would be better, but the same fans who look down on Rangers Suck chants also tend to sit on their hands for that too. Take what you can get, people. Home ice advantage doesn't create itself. And be thankful we have a rivalry heated enough to have half the arena voice its hatred for said rival when they aren't in town. Imagine being a Bluejackets fan. Ugh.

Edit: Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into another "Rangers Suck or no Rangers Suck" thread.

+1

and think of how much Marty loves the chant, how much it pumps him up hahah.

I don't want to turn this into that type of thread either

But I guess my best analogy for these "fans" would be:

Going out on a double date with your best friend and his NEW girlfriend. He has a couple of beers in him at dinner and then just rants and complains nonstop about his OLD girlfriend who jilted him.

Your just embarassed for him.

+1

And the best is when people say "Well, I feel embarrassed"... we root for the Dev's, remember? One of 2 teams that hasn't been embarrassed in the last decade. I love the Rangers suck chant.. its fun and it lightens up the mood. Some people here are just little annoyed pricks... :/

Then Cheer for the Devils.