2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Mike at River Ave Blues does a great job tracking the prospects (hell the entire farm for that matter) everyday and released his version of minor league awards. Even if you're not a huge fan of following prospects, I suggest giving this a quick read to get an update on some names to know. RAB 2011 Minor League Awards

I'm not a fan of the save stat, nor did Mo need it to prove he is the best reliever of all time, but congrats to him on getting to 602! A record that I doubt will ever be broken. Its insane how great he's been for this long with no signs of slowing down.

----

I love the sh!t NoMaas always comes up with, this being my favorite post of the year:

It started off with a declaration that the 2011 Boston Red Sox were the best team in the history of baseball. We witnessed this terrible official team anthem. Boston beatwriters went after anyone who criticized the great Child King, Theo Epstein.

And now, with their postseason hopes being held together with duct tape, Boston's diseased fan base MUST root for the Yankees to defeat the Tampa Bay Rays in a midweek series. How about that? After anointing their team in January as the best the world has ever seen, Sox fans must now kneel down and say "Please, Yankees. Help us get to the playoffs!"

Gotta love the images they create too!

CC has been a rock as usual so this shouldn't come as a huge surprise but I found it interesting:

http://nomaas.org/2011/09/al-cy-young-award-not-so-clear-cut/

Both pitchers have generated the same amount of Wins Above Replacement with seven, so right away Sabathia is even with Verlander. And both FIP and xFIP show Sabathia to be the slightly better pitcher.

The number that really jumps out is Verlander's unnaturally low BABIP of .236. It's by far the lowest BABIP of his career (career avg. .285). Looking at Verlander's batted ball profile, there's nothing that really accounts for the ultra-low BABIP. On the other hand, Sabathia's BABIP of .318 is the highest he's had in any season of his career (career avg. 291). While Verlander had a stellar season, it certainly appears that he either had some good luck or some good defense on his side during his starts.

While Verlander is obviously worthy of winning the Cy Young, this shouldn't be the one-horse race that is currently being discussed in Mediotville.

As some of you may know the SWB Yankees are still trying to find a field to play on next season while their park gets renovated. Some of the locations aren't that intriguing (Lehigh Valley, Ottawa) while I'm still holding out hope for Staten Island. I had no idea until this article was published but apparently the Yankees really wanted the team to play this next year in Newark, which would've kicked ass. I definitely would've taken advantage of the opportunity to go see them since its so close but unfortunately the Mets exercised their rights and denied it everytime the Yankees would bring it up. Interesting article here. I don't really get why the Mets had such a huge problem with it since it would be for 1 year but it sucks this didn't go through. Not trying to start any fight here since I have no ill will towards the Mets or their fans but I feel like its a weak move on their part. Newark had a rich baseball history and this move would've been great for the Yankees. I doubt it would've affected the Mets that much.

As some of you may know the SWB Yankees are still trying to find a field to play on next season while their park gets renovated. Some of the locations aren't that intriguing (Lehigh Valley, Ottawa) while I'm still holding out hope for Staten Island. I had no idea until this article was published but apparently the Yankees really wanted the team to play this next year in Newark, which would've kicked ass. I definitely would've taken advantage of the opportunity to go see them since its so close but unfortunately the Mets exercised their rights and denied it everytime the Yankees would bring it up. Interesting article here. I don't really get why the Mets had such a huge problem with it since it would be for 1 year but it sucks this didn't go through. Not trying to start any fight here since I have no ill will towards the Mets or their fans but I feel like its a weak move on their part. Newark had a rich baseball history and this move would've been great for the Yankees. I doubt it would've affected the Mets that much.

That would've been awesome! And I agree, I doubt the proximity of the Yankees minor league affiliate is going to affect how many Mets fans go to Citi Field. If anything, it would've adversely affected the Yanks attendance-wise.

Edited by nyrsuck26

That would've been awesome! And I agree, I doubt the proximity of the Yankees minor league affiliate is going to affect how many Mets fans go to Citi Field. If anything, it would've adversely affected the Yanks attendance-wise.

SWB Yankee beat writer Donnie Collins actually was able to come up with a decent theory on why the Mets did this in his blog post today.

I do, however, think this story bears repeating: Back in late 2006, when Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was courting potential big league affiliates after the Phillies left town, the Mets were one of the interested teams. In fact, word on the street was that, for a time, they were the most interested team. We all know how it turned out for the Yankees, but what many people don’t know is that, while a group of Mets officials were getting their tour of the stadium, several representatives of the Yankees were in town signing their intentions to move to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on the dotted line.

Yankees ALDS roster:

Infielders: Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Eduardo Nunez, Eric Chavez

Outfielders: Brett Gardner, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Andruw Jones, Chris Dickerson

Catchers: Russell Martin, Jesus Montero

DH: Jorge Posada

Starters: CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova, Freddy Garcia

Relievers: Mariano Rivera, David Robertson, Rafael Soriano, Cory Wade, Boone Logan, Luis Ayala, A.J. Burnett, Phil Hughes

That Cano homerun was awesome!! I've seen my fair share of well-hit homeruns, and believe me when I say he DESTROYED that pitch. Nova was very good as well. Hopefully Freddy can follow suit tomorrow!

God have mercy.. im still waiting to here the decision to start AJ is, really, just a joke. i can't believe this is actually happening. all i can do is watch.. but cmon dude, put together a nice game for us for once. please.

Lets go yanks, cmon boys

So, we were all pleasantly surprised by AJ, the offense did its job against the bullpen, and we're headed back to the Bronx. Now let's hope Nova can take us to the promised land.

and all of a sudden, Girardi's decision to start AJ is brilliant. very pleased with how he pitched yesterday, he definitely did his job. Joe made sure he didnt pitch too long and get in trouble, cant blame him.

and now this series has basically taken a complete 180 degrees. im sooo pumped lets go!

I know the playoffs are a crap shoot and I've been fortunate enough to see 5 WS titles in my life, but it doesn't make a first round loss after a great regular season any easier to deal with. Literally sick to my fvcking stomach right now.

You should be...........for following a NY team............... :puke:

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap

All things considered a good season for the Yankees when you think of the huge question marks in their pitching staff at the start. But definitely a very tough loss tonight. Offense just didn't show up tonight in a few situations where they could have blew it open. Girardi did a very good job managing his pitching staff though.

Edited by devilsrule33