Newark wants another NBA team

mmajeski06

These rumors have been around since the Nets announced playing their last 2 season at the Rock, because they agreed not to attempt to thwart NJ from trying to get another team. I don't think it ever happens....

It could happen. The attendance hasn't been awful when you consider that the Nets are both lousy and a lame duck team. And there's probably just as many basketball teams on the verge of needing to move as there are hockey teams right now, if not more. I'd love to see another team come in, as a team with plans to stay rather than squat for a few years will help jolt the area a bit.

I still don't see how this Nets in Brooklyn thing is going to work out. Most people in NJ are pissed the team is abandoning the state. Most of NYC is now excited that the Knicks have a respectable team again.

The one thing NJ has going for it is that the area has supported 3 hockey teams since 1982. It shouldn't have a problem then supporting 3 NBA teams.

Knicks = Rangers

New NJ Team = Devils

Brooklyn = Islanders?

Yeah, I've never known hipsters to be basketball fans, except when the ironically wear Golden State Warriors jerseys that they found in goodwill.

It'll be interesting to see if they draw any kind of crowd in Brooklyn after the first few months.

Also depends on how the area around it turns out. The arena there was supposed to be the centerpiece of a large retail/office (not sure of residential) center with towers, stores, bars, restaurants, etc. Now, it looks like the stadium will by itself in the middle of Brooklyn.

Also depends on how the area around it turns out. The arena there was supposed to be the centerpiece of a large retail/office (not sure of residential) center with towers, stores, bars, restaurants, etc. Now, it looks like the stadium will by itself in the middle of Brooklyn.

i don't think that makes a big difference to the viability of the arena. it's still in an area where only a lunatic would drive to, but it is right in the middle of a transport hub, and only 30 minutes from midtown manhattan.

Newark even at worst traffic is still nothing compared to driving into downtown Brooklyn.

this. flatbush ave. is already loaded on weeknights anyway, now you're going to add basketball to the equation? and with all the pedestrians crossing? it's going to be a total nightmare. people from long island aren't going to have a picnic either.

this. flatbush ave. is already loaded on weeknights anyway, now you're going to add basketball to the equation? and with all the pedestrians crossing? it's going to be a total nightmare. people from long island aren't going to have a picnic either.

True and how is the parking out in that area? It has been many years since I have been in that part of Brooklyn.

Brooklyn has a very large, diverse mix of people; it's not just hipsters that live there. Supposedly, if it were to secede from NYC, it would be something like the fourth or fifth largest city in the U.S. -- at least that's what they used to say.

I would imagine that the Nets would try to take on a whole new identity in Brooklyn. If they change their name, it would be like a brand new team starting up with the hopes of attracting new fans from the area.

Of course, the majority of the people over there are Knicks fans now. But seeing as how traditionally Booklynites are a very proud people, I imagine there are enough of them to make it work out there.

I used to be a Nets fan, but once they leave I couldn't care less about them. I'd welcome a new team to N.J./Newark.

Brooklyn has a very large, diverse mix of people; it's not just hipsters that live there. Supposedly, if it were to secede from NYC, it would be something like the fourth or fifth largest city in the U.S. -- at least that's what they used to say.

I would imagine that the Nets would try to take on a whole new identity in Brooklyn. If they change their name, it would be like a brand new team starting up with the hopes of attracting new fans from the area.

Of course, the majority of the people over there are Knicks fans now. But seeing as how traditionally Booklynites are a very proud people, I imagine there are enough of them to make it work out there.

I used to be a Nets fan, but once they leave I couldn't care less about them. I'd welcome a new team to N.J./Newark.

I think the Knicks will be their largest obstacle. Its as if it is a brand new team starting all over again to establish their own brand. They have basically wiped out all the good will they ever had when they were the NJ Nets.

that's all great, but who is going to be able to afford tickets to a nets game in brooklyn? brooklyn has wealthy, middle-class, and poor areas, that's all true. i don't think it has enough of an identity to divorce people from being knicks fans. the crowd will basically be people who like basketball, but can't afford knicks tickets. or corporations who can't afford knick tickets.

new jersey is more separate, identity-wise, from new york, and bergen county is still a ranger fan stronghold, and the devils have been really good and the rangers not so great over the last 15 years. the knicks figure to be better than the nets going forward. i don't know how this is going to work.

that's all great, but who is going to be able to afford tickets to a nets game in brooklyn? brooklyn has wealthy, middle-class, and poor areas, that's all true. i don't think it has enough of an identity to divorce people from being knicks fans. the crowd will basically be people who like basketball, but can't afford knicks tickets. or corporations who can't afford knick tickets.

new jersey is more separate, identity-wise, from new york, and bergen county is still a ranger fan stronghold, and the devils have been really good and the rangers not so great over the last 15 years. the knicks figure to be better than the nets going forward. i don't know how this is going to work.

It will be interesting to see how they price the tickets in Brooklyn. I could envision them trying to overprice them. And I agree with you that it will be hard to divorce people from being Knicks fans. But still, there are so many damn people in Brooklyn, I have a hard time believing that they won't be able to get enough people to support their own team.

I get your point about the Devils being good while the Rangers were bad and yet the Devs still struggled to get N.J. fans to change their allegiances. (Although I wouldn't call Bergen County a Rangers stronghold these days. I'd say it's more split. But that's a minor quibble.)

However, as for identities, I'd say that Brooklyn in and of itself has a much stronger distinct identity than does New Jersey. And I hate saying that -- because I figuratively bleed for N.J. (yet I was born in Brooklyn; go figure).

Edited by 95Crash

I think Brooklyn could attract the Long Island crowd too, but I still see this team struggling to start.. And yes, I definitely believe that they will be stupid and over-price their tickets for a crappy team (like my ****ing Mets)

However, as for identities, I'd say that Brooklyn in and of itself has a much stronger distinct identity than does New Jersey. And I hate saying that -- because I figuratively bleed for N.J. (yet I was born in Brooklyn; go figure).

I disagree with this, but who could ever say we're right or wrong? I don't think the kind of people who identify strongly with Brooklyn have the kind of money and desire to go see the Brooklyn Nets.

Personally I don't' care about the Nets anymore and wish they would just move so there is closure. That being said, its a nice draw for the Pru center to have the extra dates in the interim. I hate what Ratner did but it's done so now it's really about what happens with the devils ownership over the next year or two which will position them in or out of actually bringing in another professional sports franchise.

Side note, I went to the Red Bulls game on Saturday and was impressed. I like the stadium and although it seems like attendance is mediocre the standing fan section was incredible to watch.

Newark...City on the move

I Kinda like Newark too. I defiantly think it is moving in the right direction.

Can't tell you how many people I've taken to a game or restaurant/bar in Newark and they go "Oh this really isn't that bad. I'd come back here, no problem." Perception is a powerful thing, and changing someone's is pretty tough (especially when they feel their life is in danger)