2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Gionta is a cockroach we will never be rid of.   I mean, they really don't pay him anything, so it's not the end of the world, but you know they're gonna use him.  He's essentially the team mascot.   Who takes critical shifts late in the 3rd period.

Think they did okay setting up their roster.   Dunno if Cammalleri gets through his deal without getting bought out, but we'll see.   At least the kid defensemen will be able to play.

Gionta is 3rd in the NHL over the last 2 years in 5 on 5 road shots against.  He does something out there, even if it's not much.  

well, i don't think the new lineup will score all that much more, but maybe NJ will go from 27th offense to 25th or something, combined with a repeat defensive season and no brodeur... i like the chances of nabbing the 7 or 8 playoff spot.

the team seems full of 2nd liners but hey, it's an interesting club.  with the right team attitude, this could work.  granted, i wish NJ would have gone after vrbata (who always seems to be shooting/driving play) rather than camms, but could be worse.  should be interesting to see how guys play (who feel like they should play top 2 lines) on the bottom 2 lines. ie, someone who doesn't belong on line 4 is inherently gonna be there.  but i'm assuming NJ will really role 4 lines this season. they have the bodies to afford that luxury. still, gonna be a challenge for pete to manage minutes/egos on the forward side.

camms-zajac-jagr

havlat-elias-clowe

ruutu-henrique-zubrus

brunner-josefson-ryder

x-bernier, gio

defense... i am a fan of the addition by subtraction.  fayne wasn't worth what he nabbed in EDM, which isn't to say he wasn't very solid.  but the new look D (sans him and Volch) truly allows the future devils to develop and get apt playing time (except during the stretches when doboer will unavoidably put harrold in the lineup over someone more deserving).

greene-zids

merill-sal

larsson-gelinas

x-harrold

goalies... holding my breath that brodeur signs elsewhere or retires, but this itself will signify a vast improvement.  give schneids as much as he can handle.  and hopefully kinkaid surprises people and can absorb 12-14 starts or so.

schneider

kinkaid

overall, lou could have made some sexier moves, but i see this as a playoff team.  nj can't be as statistically bad in the shootout as they were last season, and i think the young defense will exceed expectations.  the scoring by committee thing will happen at front, which might mean no one hits 60 pts, but whatever gets the job done is fine by me. :-)

Contracts aside, you genuinely don't believe the Devils improved with the addition of Cammy (and 20 games of Havlat)? Even more importantly, with the likely subtraction of Brodeuer?

They addressed needs with the two signings. Offensively, they should score more. Defensively, I'm not sure. Cammalleri isn't exactly a wizard defensively. He's a nice player albeit streaky. I'd pencil him in for 25 goals. I actually like the Havlat addition. Kinda called it in another thread. Signed for a year at a bargain and low risk. If healthy, he should help. Whenever you sign someone for a year, that's a wise investment. They can always move him.

My opinion on Brodeur is different. Everyone assumes Schneider can handle the load. But he's never been a full-time starter. Last year's 45 games were the most in his career. For a guy that was drafted first round a decade ago, we don't have much to go on. The numbers say he should be fine. Let him start between 55-60 and see if he can repeat last year's success. Even the best struggle. A backup is still important. Especially when you play as many back-to-backs (16) as they do. The point being at least they had Marty as a security blanket. Granted he gets killed for save percentage (.901). Who do you blame? Was it DeBoer, Marty or Lou? It wasn't an ideal situation. On paper, it sounded good but with MB30's ego, it was tricky.

I suppose they can let Clemmensen and Kinkaid battle it out for backup. No matter what, it puts more of a premium on Schneider. No goalie has more pressure. He has a year to prove he's worth an extension which could pay him in upwards of $6-7 million. I say make him earn it.

This quote filled me with a little bit more confidence;

On it coming down to choosing between paying a lot for a defenseman or paying a lot for a forward to help the team offensively:

“Sure, the contracts are too long. Sure, the contracts are overpaid. It’s not saying it’s right, but you have to make decisions and do what’s best at that given time.”

That basketball analogy made no sense. And Gio can not play any role. Keep thinking that Lou and Pete.

yeah i never thought you could make an analogy with 5"2 Gionta and basketball

also things can still get done with carter here, its just maybe he sees that right now theres no spot and he thinks that he'd be the odd man out

Edited by SterioDesign

Carter still could be back.  It's not like its hard to lock these guys up.  You can throw them and extra 200-500k and they pick your team.  Carter was the best out of CBGB, especially late in the season when he had a few clutch goals, the WSH GWG was one to remember for me.  I'm assuming its the Rangers trying to replace Brian Boyle, does anybody have any news on Carter. 

Oh, you know what's really grinding my gears.  The butt-buddy party in Minnesota with Parise, Vanek, and Suter.  They're starting to remind me of the Miami Heat.  One of those teams you just want to see crash and burn.  That team has a lot of assets right now and I can imagine the chemistry would be very strong,  Pomninville and Vanek together again, I hope they don't work out.

also CBJ is matching anything you throw at them for him 

Very true. He is their franchise player and there is no way they let him go.

If you are going to offer sheet anyone, Ryan O'Reilly would be the one IMO as you would have a better chance of Colorado not matching the offer.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

another njdevs poster that apparently knows lou personally what do you know.

In 25 years it's never been the way Lou has done business. You don't have to be his best friend to figure that out.

Sending an offer sheet this year would be especially dumb. The Devils could do well or crash and burn. It wouldn't be worth risking a possible McDavid pick.

another njdevs poster that apparently knows lou personally what do you know.

Here's what I know...I know that, in the 27 years he's been the GM of this franchise, Lou has NEVER signed a RFA to an offer sheet.  

Now, what makes you possibly think that he would submit and offer sheet to Johnansen (sp?), or anyone for that matter, when it clearly is not his style to do such a thing based upon the years we've spent watching him conduct business on behalf of this organization?  Please enlighten me.

In 25 years it's never been the way Lou has done business. You don't have to be his best friend to figure that out.

Sending an offer sheet this year would be especially dumb. The Devils could do well or crash and burn. It wouldn't be worth risking a possible McDavid pick.

Yeah I think I remember Lou saying years ago that he doesn't like to burn bridges with other teams as you never know when you might need them for a possible trade or other needs.

There is no quicker way to burn a bridge with another team than by sending an offer sheet to one of their players.

Very true. He is their franchise player and there is no way they let him go.

If you are going to offer sheet anyone, Ryan O'Reilly would be the one IMO as you would have a better chance of Colorado not matching the offer.

Not after they just lost Stasny

risky. There's no way CBJ doesn't match any offer, especially what we'd be able to afford. We'd be more successful getting him in a trade..

Star Ledger reporting:

2014 NHL Free Agency: How can Flyers make splash? Sign Ryan Johansen to offer sheet

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2014/07/2014_nhl_free_agency_how_can_flyers_make_splash_sign_ryan_johansen_to_offer_sheet.html